PDA

View Full Version : A+ certification help

sugarrey
Tue Aug 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I am in the process of studying for my A+. Got Mike Myers A+ cert book and am 500 pages in. I am a little worried about the 2002 publish date on it. Anyone here take the A+ lately? I would be very interested to know what I really should spend time on. I am currently reading the WHOLE book, rather than just the TEST SPECIFIC parts because I really want to be as close to "all knowing" as I possibly can, but would really like the inside scoop on what really to focus on.

Also, who here has gotten this cert lately? I would possibly like to sit down with you and get some opinions.

This will be my first cert, and plan on getting more. Any information would be fantabulous.

Jeff

mtnairlover
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM
That's a tad out of date. The cert exam has been broken down into an Essentials exam plus one of 3 other choices that focus on either help desk, tech, or bench tech. Take a look at the CompTIA site for all the details on what to study and what the exams cover...

Ooops, my bad. Those exams no longer exist either...damn how quickly tech requirements change. It's only 2 exams...Essentials and Practical Application.

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/a.aspx

Tylar
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I had to take A+ back in 98 for some train-the-trainer requirements. Since then it's been Cisco and Juniper certs. If you go that route, I could help out.

Good luck!

Zach929rr
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 08:06 AM
The one I got for you was released 7/11/08

Wyck
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm taking an A+ course for school this semester. These are the textbooks we are using.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Managing-Maintaining-Your-Comprehensive/dp/0619217588/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Andrews-Managing-Maintaining-Comprehensive/dp/0619217634/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

sugarrey
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
That's a tad out of date. The cert exam has been broken down into an Essentials exam plus one of 3 other choices that focus on either help desk, tech, or bench tech. Take a look at the CompTIA site for all the details on what to study and what the exams cover...

Ooops, my bad. Those exams no longer exist either...damn how quickly tech requirements change. It's only 2 exams...Essentials and Practical Application.

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/a.aspx

I will take a look on there for sure. I am not wasting my time with what I am reading am I?

I had to take A+ back in 98 for some train-the-trainer requirements. Since then it's been Cisco and Juniper certs. If you go that route, I could help out.

Good luck!

The CC classes are my next trek, and know a guy who does Juniper work from his house. Would be interested in talking to you about it though.

The one I got for you was released 7/11/08

I am supposedly getting the car back today, but who knows. As soon as I get it, Im coming your way.

I'm taking an A+ course for school this semester. These are the textbooks we are using.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Managing-Maintaining-Your-Comprehensive/dp/0619217588/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Andrews-Managing-Maintaining-Comprehensive/dp/0619217634/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Ohhh, this helps a ton. Thanks Wyck

I am sure I am if anything learning more than I should, the amount of shit that is in the 1200 page book is absolutely ridiculous. If anything I have noticed that the learning material these days is a little more "geared" towards the test, and not knowing everything possible. Although I really want to know all I can, maybe not all at once though.

Jeff

Devaclis
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.certkiller.com/

Ricky
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
IMO, doing > studying. A+ is great and all, but these days knowing what you're doing is better than a book telling you what you need to know. But that's just me. I don't have a single certification under my belt, yet I've managed large active directory networks, and am now doing serious C# development on top of it all. Certifications (can) get you in the door, experience and knowledge gets you the job. Good luck with the cert. When I started looking into it years ago, I saw it as nothing but a waste of my time. And now, I'm glad I didn't waste my time on it.

Devaclis
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
IMO, doing > studying. A+ is great and all, but these days knowing what you're doing is better than a book telling you what you need to know. But that's just me. I don't have a single certification under my belt, yet I've managed large active directory networks, and am now doing serious C# development on top of it all. Certifications (can) get you in the door, experience and knowledge gets you the job. Good luck with the cert. When I started looking into it years ago, I saw it as nothing but a waste of my time. And now, I'm glad I didn't waste my time on it.

+1

No certs (although I am being forced into one)

Been in the biz for YEARS

Experience > *

~Barn~
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Look, I already told you! I deal with the goddammed customers so the engineers don't have to! (http://www.entertonement.com/clips/cvcvhhrkdp--I-have-people-skillsOffice-Space-John-C-McGinley-Bob-Slydell-Richard-Riehle-)

Devaclis
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Do you deliver the reports, yourself, Barn?

~Barn~
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Do you deliver the reports, yourself, Barn?

Well... no, not exactly.

sugarrey
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Well I have been working with PC's for more than 15 years and have "some" training, but today in this job market I am finding that the "resume" or "education/training" gets you an opportunity for an interview, or getting in the door. So that is what I need help doing. The cert is going to cost about $400 I think, and I believe it will be well worth it.

sugarrey
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Bobs - "Looks like you've been missing alot of work lately".......

Peter - "Well I would'nt say I've been 'MISSING' it, Bob"

Someone willing to give you a chance these days, will all of the "over-qualified" applicants these days is getting more difficult I believe, at least thats what I am seeing.

Matrix
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Well I have been working with PC's for more than 15 years and have "some" training, but today in this job market I am finding that the "resume" or "education/training" gets you an opportunity for an interview, or getting in the door. So that is what I need help doing. The cert is going to cost about $400 I think, and I believe it will be well worth it.

+1. Knowing what your doing is different then proving that you know what your doing to someone who doesnt know you. I am a certification whore for that very reason.

Wyck
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:16 AM

I'm only taking it because it is required for my degree. I doubt I will ever use it or even attempt to test for the cert. Though I may just for the hell of it since I have to take the class.

sugarrey
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I agree, having the cert wont hurt your effort at a better position.

~Barn~
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Certs, experience, work history, schooling.... It's all a nice soup to have, and none of it can really hurt you, save for *bad* work experience. I say good on ya, for getting your A+! If for nothing more, than it makes YOU feel worthy to have it. That actually can reflect very profoundly, in how you interview.

I personally don't have any certs, and never finished college, and while I don't do anything that is necessarily the same as what Dana and Ricky do, I can definitely vouch for the whole experience aspect of learning in the IT field, while in the IT field. I was supporting computer users at 17/18/19 years old, before my parents had even bought one!

So yeah... regardless of the route you take, experience can definitely translate to actual job-getting. I like to think I have an appreciable grasp of software and hardware and troubleshooting and the like. Combine that with whatever other talents I have, and it's always just "worked" for me, when it comes to getting jobs. I'm part of a team of 4 Apps Analysts, and 2 of my cohorts have Master's degrees, and the 3rd his Bachelor's. It wouldn't surprise me, if they all have some certs too, but it really doesn't matter, and quite frankly we don't talk about it.

The work that we do, is all the same, and we all perform it to varying degrees of success or failure; and never once have I felt inferior to anybody elses abilities, or their education. If anything, I've groomed myself to believe (whether right or wrong), that they need it to be here, not me.

And P.S. Rey... I am still keeping my eyes peeled for you, for any jobs that look good. I hope you're still talking with Tanji, or atleast "somebody" at TEK.

mtnairlover
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I will take a look on there for sure. I am not wasting my time with what I am reading am I?

Use the resources out on the net. There are cert forums that will alert you to the latest exam certs (http://www.certforums.com/forums/thread29872.html). Also, and this is big for anyone doing tech certs, pay attention to CompTIA because it leads the industry in various cert exams. Everything you wanted to know about the certs will be answered on this site. Also, get registered on this site.

When you look for books on various exams, just match the book title up to the exam number. For the A+ cert, there are two numbers you want to have:

A+ exam 220-701
A+ exam 220-702

I found the book listed on Barnes and Noble:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/CompTIA-A-Complete-Study-Guide/Quentin-Docter/e/9780470486498/?itm=4

If you are using an older version of the book to study for today's exam, then you will need to read the exam objectives listed on CompTIA's website to determine what information you might be missing out on.

sugarrey
Wed Aug 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Barn, Im still in contact with them. Unfortunately I have no PROFESSIONAL computer work experience as of yet, but they are aware of my studies and future study plan.

mtnair thanks for the info. I see that I will need to curve my thinking and get more in tune with what test has instead of "had" back in 02.