PDA

View Full Version : Asinine Cager...

Dogsbody
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
The guilty culprit is in a late model black or dark blue Ford truck with one on those aero coffin-like storage bins on the left side of his tonneau bed and a mountain bike on the other.

Okay, so I'm on 285 headed east and I catch up with 4 cruisers all riding two up just past the Morrison exit. Traffic speeds up a bit and the four split up with three in the right lane (plus me) and one stays in the left lane. We're doing probably 73 and we're staggered in the right lane as we normally would be with me hanging back a bit since I'm not part of their group. All of a sudden the aforementioned douchbag in the truck is barreling doen the left lane, shoots past me and the others in the right lane and the other bike in the left lane. The poor SOB in the left lane has the jersey barriers to his left and a truck on his right in his lane. Luckily he didn't panic and came out okay. I was so pissed I could see red. Douchebag is too polite a term for this, well, douchbag.

kalibra
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
it's called "MOTHER FUCKER"

Ceez
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Glad no one got hurt.

SloBlue
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
It seems like car drivers get more stupid every day.

My fun moment of the day was on a 2 lane road, solid double yellow stripe down the middle. A car approaching from the opposite direction made sure to obey the (really idiotic) new law to give bicycles 3 ft. I was in the oncoming lane. We all passed 3 abreast with the moron in the car straddling the center line, halfway into my lane! I guess I'm not entitled to my own lane on a motorcycle.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM

My fun moment of the day was on a 2 lane road, solid double yellow stripe down the middle. A car approaching from the opposite direction made sure to obey the (really idiotic) new law to give bicycles 3 ft. I was in the oncoming lane. We all passed 3 abreast with the moron in the car straddling the center line, halfway into my lane! I guess I'm not entitled to my own lane on a motorcycle.

That right there is an accident waiting to happen. That screwball bicycle law needs to be thrown out. The sooner the better :down:

Tipys
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM

I had that happen to me on 105 heading to bike night last week. I am not wanting to see it but won't be surprised. When I read about someone taking out a motorcyle because they had to have 3ft to make sure the pedal biker was safe. Stupid cagers

And for that truck I think he is lucky he didnt get a broken mirror.

MetaLord 9
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
That right there is an accident waiting to happen. That screwball bicycle law needs to be thrown out. The sooner the better :down:
People are so self-centered that they don't think that they should slow down & wait for the other lane to clear before passing a bicycle on the left and moving into the other lane. A lot of people seem to have the mentality of "I MUST be 3 feet away from this bike so if YOU are not letting me do that and maintain my speed then it's YOUR fault and I can't be held accountable."

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
People are so self-centered that they don't think that they should slow down & wait for the other lane to clear before passing a bicycle on the left and moving into the other lane. A lot of people seem to have the mentality of "I MUST be 3 feet away from this bike so if YOU are not letting me do that and maintain my speed then it's YOUR fault and I can't be held accountable."

Bicyclists have developed an arrogance about them that should be countered with aggressive legislative action to limit their ability to control traffic flow. :321:

Squisha
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM

That's the whole point of the thing right there. I guess nowhere does it say that you should do it SAFELY. Then again, if people weren't such dopes in the first place, there wouldn't be a law. Maybe if enough motorcyclists get together and start banging the "motorcyclists rights" drum, they'll have to start making laws to take care of us too...

PunyJuney
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I couldn't agree more on this 3 FT. bike law shit. Roads like Turkey Creek and Parmalee Gulch (that do not have shoulders) certainly do not have 3 extra feet all of a sudden to accommodate a cyclist, or in most cases a team of cyclists straggling their way up a hill. Every time I come down that road there is ALWAYS a huge SUV with his front bumper in my face going the other way and I'm expected to hug the white line??? This law needs to be repealed or amended so that it does not apply to 2 lane roads! Better still if the cyclists feel so unsafe that they need 3 feet they should stay off roads that can't allow a constant 3 foot margin.

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
...if the cyclists feel so unsafe that they need 3 feet they should stay off roads...
Amen!

PunyJuney
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 09:33 AM
For anyone unfamiliar with the new law, here's the link. http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/sl2009a/sl_239.htm

And if you wonder why the SUV's now take half of your lane in oncoming traffic, it's because it's written right into the law. IT'S WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!!! Now if one of us is hurt or killed we have no recourse as they were only acting in line with Colorado law.

SECTION 1. 42-4-1002, Colorado Revised Statutes, is amended to read:

42-4-1002. Passing oncoming vehicles. (1) Drivers of vehicles proceeding in opposite directions shall pass each other to the right, and, upon roadways having width for not more than one lane of traffic in each direction, each driver shall give to the other at least one-half of the main-traveled portion of the roadway as nearly as possible.

Did any law maker consider that a motorcycle rider is instructed to ride corners safely using the whole lane!?! It's part of the state exam to get your M endorsement.

Unfortunately common sense just isn't that common anymore.

asp_125
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
How much is 3ft?... stick out your arm. It's a little bit more than that. Cagers think they are driving the titanic or something. When I cycle I try to stay to the far right, or on the fog line if there's no shoulder. It's the bikewads riding two/three abreast not paying attention that irk me. Pace line.. use it.

I make sure that I have my high beams on if I see a potential oncoming car/cyclist combination, and I move into the middle of my lane.... just in case a swerve becomes necessary. My worry is encountering this in the blind curves; I had once such incident on Lefthand when a cager decided to pass in the middle of a corner.

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
It's still like passing any other vehicle - DON'T F'ING DO IT IF IT'S NOT SAFE!!!

kalibra
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm moving to Texas, there's no law there that enables non-registration paying,etc stupid arogant pedal bicyclists to endanger the rest of us.Peace.

PunyJuney
Sat Aug 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
So I took an advanced motorcycle class today, and a cop was in our class. I asked what he thought about it and what is being done to protect motorcycles (as he was on one). He claims even though the oncoming traffic law suggests the whole cage up the middle thing THAT IT'S STILL ILLEGAL TO CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW and that the car should wait until it's safe to pass as in broken yellow or a passing lane.
That's right up there with hell freezing over.

A comment from an irate driver posting on another site suggested that a baseball bat and/or a golf club is about 3 feet long and that everyone should get out in their cars and start measuring! I think this law is further dividing cyclists from everyone else and is going to work against them when it comes to sharing the road. I personally never crowd a bicycle, but I've never endangered a motorcycle either.

Dogsbody
Sat Aug 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
So I took an advanced motorcycle class today, and a cop was in our class. I asked what he thought about it and what is being done to protect motorcycles (as he was on one). He claims even though the oncoming traffic law suggests the whole cage up the middle thing THAT IT'S STILL ILLEGAL TO CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW and that the car should wait until it's safe to pass as in broken yellow or a passing lane.
That's right up there with hell freezing over.

A comment from an irate driver posting on another site suggested that a baseball bat and/or a golf club is about 3 feet long and that everyone should get out in their cars and start measuring! I think this law is further dividing cyclists from everyone else and is going to work against them when it comes to sharing the road. I personally never crowd a bicycle, but I've never endangered a motorcycle either.

PJ, that cop is wrong. You may cross the double yellow if it is safe to do so. Here's a snippit of the new laws:

PASSING
The law gives drivers more flexibility to safely pass a bicyclist by allowing them to cross the centerline when it is safe to do so.
LANE POSITION
The law gives bicyclists the ability to ride as far right as is safe. Also, on one-way roads with more than one lane, bicyclists may also ride as far left as is safe.
MORE THAN ONE RIDER
The law clarifies that bicyclists may pass one another or ride side-by-side if they are not impeding the normal flow of traffic.
ANTI-HARASSMENT
The law makes throwing any object, such as a beer can, at a bicyclist a misdemeanor crime, and also makes driving towards a bicyclist in a dangerous manner a careless driving offense.

BUSANAS
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
there should be a law that if you cant go the speed limit then you cant be on the road, just a danger to yourself and others