PDA

View Full Version : suits nearby?

ahsix
Tue Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:47 PM
Well, I currently have a Vanson Cobra...but I think i'm in the market for a suit since its next to impossible to find Vanson pants in Colorado.

After doing some research, gonna get a cheapie for now so I'm thinking like a Teknic Lightning/Chicane or AGV online somewhere but I want to try one on locally...I've called around and for the life of me can't find any one (nearby) that has any!

I don't want to drive way the feck down to Fay Myers as I25 suck the proverbrial donkey balls.

Any suggestions for the Boulder/Longmont/Broomfield/Westminster/north denver area?

I've tried the CO power sports (blah)
Sun Honda
RMK
Any other ones?

Anonymous
Tue Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:54 PM
I don't think anyone carries AGV suits (at least they didn't when I was looking). I got the AGV Aegis and ordered it from an online store without ever having tried it on first. I used the sizing chart on the AGV website, and chose the size where everything would fit (once you look at the sizing chart, you'll understand what I mean).

yakuza
Tue Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:16 PM
I'm sure Adam can tell you for sure, but I think Performance has the Teknic suits in stock.

BlueDevil
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Performance has the Chicane but not the Lightning. At least not a few weeks ago. Most the dealers in town dont have a lot in this line up. The Lightning and Chicane suit fit very similar so if U try on one or the other the fit will be pretty close.

If U R going to buy a Teknic I reccomend newenough.com

319.00 Chicane
369.00 Lightning

ahsix
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 10:02 AM
hey, thanks guys...i ended up getting the AGV Talon 2 piece for 435.00 online via helmetharbor... (thanks Nate 8) )

it had everything I was looking for (preforated, etc) it'll get here in a couple weeks though :cry:

Boy Scout
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Cool, Dude. I'll be posting a review of my recent shopping experiences with various companies in the near future (as soon as everything arrives -- hopefully by the end of this week :) ).

ahsix
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 03:30 PM
well this doth suck...

We received your order, however the suit you wanted is not available with
our distributor at this time. There is not a new date of arrival, which is
never good news. Did you want to choose another suit? Please let me know.

Thank you,

Jane Mittness
The Helmet Harbor
511 W. Guadalupe Rd #4
Gilbert, AZ 85233
480-635-1009

and when asked if it would be delayed or just not available...

All I know is that it is not showing on the site any longer, and there is no
date that they expect to get more in. That usually means it will be quite
some time, or that they will be making changes to the suit for the next
year.

Thank you,

Jane Mittness
The Helmet Harbor
511 W. Guadalupe Rd #4
Gilbert, AZ 85233
480-635-1009

Any suggestions? :x

Anonymous
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Get something different... And at least the guy is being up front about your chances, that's way cool. :up: Sux about the suit tho.

Anonymous
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Try MotorcycleMart.com (www.MotorcycleMart.com). Although they don't list AGV on their site, that's where I ordered my AGV suit from (the AEGIS).
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/photos/300/i11644.jpg
Helmet Harbor lists it at $575
Kneedraggers.com has it for $560.
AccWhse.com has it for $508.
MotorcycleMart.com (www.MotorcycleMart.com) quoted me $467.

Although they may run into the same distributor problem, it's definately worth a shot.

ahsix
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 04:12 PM
cool, i'll give them a shot tomorrow...thx

Boy Scout
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 05:23 PM
That sucks big kahunas!

Two things: First, what size and color are you trying to get? I ordered two red ones, if you happen to need the size I don't, you're welcome to it. Second, I didn't find it on their main site either. I found it via a google search. That link appears to be dead today as well (worked a day or two ago). I actually had to call them today about something else, so I asked the guy I ordered from what the deal was. He told me that the suit is a closeout (thus the good price) and that they won't be getting any more, however, it may just be the color you wanted that they aren't able to get (i.e. they might be able to get a different color if that is acceptable).

If you're set on a color and that suit (I know there were some features I wasn't able to find in ANY other two-piece suits), here were the next few vendors in line from a price perspective. Prices include S&H and tax where applicable unless otherwise indicated.
Parts411 - 498.66, Exchange=48.21, No Returns, 5-10 day delivery
Accessory Warehouse - 504.35 + S&H(?? $$), Exchange=7.50, Return=48.50, 5-7 day delivery
Kneedraggers 543.92, Exchange=30.00, Return=107.00, Ground delivery (? days)
Motorcycle Superstore - 601.94, Exchange=0, Return=58.50, 7-13 day delivery
Discount Motorcycle Apparel - 610.96, Exchange=111.00, Return=111.00, 5-10 day delivery

For what it's worth, I sent a message to Motorcycle Mart two weeks ago asking for pricing on this suit and never received a response, but you might try giving them a call as Bob suggested.

As a second to last resort, AGV Sport is distributed by Parts Unlimited. This means that any store than handles Parts Unlimited stuff ought to be able to order it for you. Go to http://www.parts-unlimited.com/pages/find.html and put in your zipcode to get a list of local dealers. Call them and ask them for a price and to see if they can get them (not order them, but if they are actually in stock to be shipped). If all of these places are ordering directly from PU, then you may be out of luck, but some may be getting them through intermediate channels that may have some in stock.

As a last resort, try contacting AGV Sport directly.

Alternatively, try for the Vortex. Very similar design/construction/features, just not as much perforation (it was my second choice :) ).

Good Luck, Dude!

Anonymous
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Great info Nate! Looks like you did your homework. Thanks for sharing!

Too bad MotorcycleMart didn't get back to you - I'd be curious to hear what they say. I've had some difficulty getting through to them as of late (I think there's only 1 guy to answer the phones and emails). When you do get them on the line, they'll put you on hold while they call the distributor to verify availability & stuff, plus they always give a low price (usually the lowest), and if you got a better price anywhere else, they can usually beat it.

FYI - shipping for a suit should only be between $8 and $12.

ahsix
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 12:26 PM
doh, sorry Nate...I didn't see this til after I called helmetharbor again...

I tried to get a hold of MM but after trying for hours, wasn't able to get a hold of them. Anyway, I ended up calling HH again, and they didn't have other colors...but the person I spoke to was able to cut me a deal on an alpinestars TZ1 suit for 579.00...about 100 bucks off...hope it fits. I'll write something up as soon as I get it (in approx 1.5 weeks)

it was kind of a impulse/frustration buy on the phone...i hope it works out :?

Boy Scout
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Dude, we need to meet sometime...seem to have the same tastes in gear...TZ1 was my #3 choice (behind #1 AGV Talon and #2 AGV Vortex) :D . Mine just arrived--haven't even opened the box yet.

I feel your frustration and believe me, when I saw your post yesterday, I was SOOOOOOOOO glad that I ordered both possible sizes at the same time. I would have been more than a little upset if the first one didn't fit, then found out I couldn't exchange it for the right size because they couldn't get it anymore. Whew!

ahsix
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 02:03 PM
yeah, man...absolutely :)

btw, i'm a size 42 i think :?