PDA

View Full Version : How often to change the oil on a track bike?

Tim K
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I just started going to track days and have essentially given up street riding. How often should I change the oil (Mobile 1) under these conditions?

rybo
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Tim

When I'm racing I do the oil every race weekend. I figure it's pretty cheap insurance and makes sure that I'm keeping an eye on the vitals of my bike.

For trackdays I would probably do the oil every other trackday. Again, it's probably overkill, but reasonably cheap compared to launching a motor.

I also change my brake fluid a couple of times a season. It's amazing how much better the brakes feel with fresh fluid in them!

See you soon!

Scott

jgixxer1
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Let's say you run 4 classes on a race weekend. Would you still be putting more miles/laps than a regular trackday? In MRA is there heat races and mains?

rforsythe
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Before agreeing with Rybo, can you tell us how you ride the bike? I ask because I see a lot of track riders who never get the thing above 9k RPM (and "wide open" is more like 3/4 throttle), so in that respect it isn't much different than spirited canyon riding, and you could just about go with a mileage-based schedule of 3k miles or so. If you actually get up to redline and hold it WOT on the straights, then doing it more often is certainly warranted.

rybo
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Let's say you run 4 classes on a race weekend. Would you still be putting more miles/laps than a regular trackday? In MRA is there heat races and mains?

It's an interesting question. I don't think you put on more miles on a race weekend, but I know they are harder miles.

In the MRA there are sometimes heat races, but for the most part on a 4 class weekend (assuming that you don't to endurance) it would be 35 laps for racing + whatever you did in practice. Probably less than a typical trackday, but that's also 4 full race STARTS (assuming no red flags) which are pretty hard on the clutch and the oil.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM

4 races = 28 laps
6 practice sessions (4 on Sat, 2 on Sun) = 35-40laps approximately

there are only heat races in Novice when the entries exceed a certain number. I dont think we have had heat races a in a few years.

A big difference, as Ralph points out, that alot of track day riders are not on the throttle 100% all the time. If you are a competitive racers you will always be on the throttle 100% or on the brakes.

rybo
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Before agreeing with Rybo, can you tell us how you ride the bike? I ask because I see a lot of track riders who never get the thing above 9k RPM (and "wide open" is more like 3/4 throttle), so in that respect it isn't much different than spirited canyon riding, and you could just about go with a mileage-based schedule of 3k miles or so. If you actually get up to redline and hold it WOT on the straights, then doing it more often is certainly warranted.

you should just agree with me.

rforsythe
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Probably not, since a race is only 7 laps, plus whatever morning practice you get in. However you are typically running the bike harder in a race, so for racing you should use an accelerated change schedule over a track day.

The MRA reserves the right to run heat races if a given race is too full. That doesn't happen often though.

One other thing people neglect are the other fluids in the bike - water, fork oil, brake fluid. Make sure you run distilled water (with Water Wetter if you like) in the cooling system, and don't be afraid to change it out periodically. Fork oil should be changed in a track bike at least once a season, and some guys even do that every weekend though I think that may be overkill (and if you have to ask, you probably aren't riding at their level). Brake fluid (and clutch fluid, if you have a hydraulic clutch master) are hygroscopic and absorb moisture, as well as just getting grungy over time along with getting hot, so replace them too; for a trackday-only bike or lightly raced bike, at least once a season, more often if you ride it hard.

rforsythe
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM

No!

Tipys
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Dont worry I will agree with you. If that counts for anything

racedk6
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
big discussion on this for about the very same thing.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=225465

rybo
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I've sent my car oil out for analysis as suggested in the WERA thread and after 10K miles it's still in a VERY suitable condition. I use Mobil 1 synthetic in it as well. I'm not all that easy on my truck. It gets used A LOT. It's a 2005 with 152K miles on it, many of those hauling something or towing a trailer.

That being said, I don't think that changing the oil in the racebike too often is a bad thing. Like is said in the WERA thread, it's incentive to look at the rest of the bike, make sure that bolts are tight and that you're catching potential problems early. If you feel really bad about it take the old oil to a local garage where they have a waste oil heater and they can have free heat on you for part of the winter.

s

p.s. Tipys - thank you for agreeing with me. Ralph....come to the dark side. We have cookies.

64BonnieLass
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Tim

When I'm racing I do the oil every race weekend. I figure it's pretty cheap insurance and makes sure that I'm keeping an eye on the vitals of my bike.

For trackdays I would probably do the oil every other trackday. Again, it's probably overkill, but reasonably cheap compared to launching a motor.
Scott

I do the same. And I certainly don't run my bike very hard in any way, however for me, it's just piece of mind and good habit - whether my bike needs it or not. :turtle:

Tim K
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM

I run the bejesus out of it. Full throttle is full throttle with most shifts at redline. In fact, it's how hard I'm running it compared to street riding that has caused me to worry.

mbohn
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
What is this "oil change" that you speak of?

rybo
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
What is this "oil change" that you speak of?

I think Brian and the crew at BMS take care of it for you....

mbohn
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I think Brian and the crew at BMS take care of it for you....

I think not.

But seriously, when I was doing only track days I changed oil every 3 or so track days. It usually worked out when it was time for new tires.

rybo
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I think not.

But seriously, when I was doing only track days I changed oil every 3 or so track days. It usually worked out when it was time for new tires.

I hope you got that I was joking....

see you at the races this weekend?

s

mbohn
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I hope you got that I was joking....

see you at the races this weekend?

sI did get that! See you today!!