PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help..

Keepitgreen
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 11:49 AM
So I am just hanging out tinkering with my old Windows based computer that has crap Vista loaded..
I have the XP os disks that I am thinking would be nice to have loaded since I never had problems with it.

This computer is just a back up for my Mac.
Who knows how to go about loading the XP os and get rid of the Vista?

Thanks
joby

LambeauXLIV
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM
just boot off the xp disc, format the hard drive, and install xp

~Barn~
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM
^ Game. Set. Match. ^

Ricky
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I laugh at people that think that Vista is actually worse than XP. The only thing that makes Vista worse than XP, is having hardware that isn't made for it.

Vista is a completely different animal, written to take on hardware in a completely different way. Because of this it requires different drivers, even though some old XP drivers will work. You are blaming Vista, when it's the hardware you are running it on, or the software you are running on it.

TurboGizzmo
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
just boot off the xp disc, format the hard drive, and install xp

This method will DELETE EVERYTHING just FYI.

Do you want to downgrade to XP?

Boot XP and Vista?

Or completely remove EVERYTHING and start fresh with XP?

~Barn~
And P.S. Joby.... I haven't forgotten about getting those video files from you either, I just have been absent from Bike Night for a few weeks now. I'm hoping next week will mark my return. =)

LambeauXLIV
This method will DELETE EVERYTHING just FYI.

I thought it was kinda obvious... :)

LambeauXLIV
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I laugh at people that think that Vista is actually worse than XP. The only thing that makes Vista worse than XP, is having hardware that isn't made for it.

Vista is a completely different animal, written to take on hardware in a completely different way. Because of this it requires different drivers, even though some old XP drivers will work. You are blaming Vista, when it's the hardware you are running it on, or the software you are running on it.

I run Vista Home Premium x64, among other things, and have never had problems.

Keepitgreen
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
My mac is my primary rig..
Hell, I am getting the new snow leopard today sometime for it as well..

The windows stuff is good for some stuff, but it can be a pain in the ass as well.
Shoot, my media player quit working about a month after I had it and I can't reload it as it detects there is one there already.. But does not work..
I will not take updates or anything of that nature.
I don't want to trash it as I do use it sometimes.. But either way, I will never buy another windows os computer again..

Basically just fuckin with it. If it's too much of a hassle, I'll just use it as is and leave it at that..
Or shoot the damn thing!

Keepitgreen
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM
And P.S. Joby.... I haven't forgotten about getting those video files from you either, I just have been absent from Bike Night for a few weeks now. I'm hoping next week will mark my return. =)

Ya, I should be in town next week as well..
I am sure I will be out checking out some races on sunday also..

I just got a new 500gb external and have the 320 loaded ready for handing out..
The Toshiba 500 was only like 95 bucks at Best Buy.. I saw that there is already a 640 out as well in the same small passport size.. Damn!

~Barn~
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM

But you have to understand that in this case, his perception of the Vista OS is worse than that of XP. For any of us to sit her and try and qualify what he thinks, or moreover to rationalize to the contrary, by bringing up hardware, is missing the point.

An OS for all intents and purposes, gratifies us more on a sensory level; it's not something that's so granular. And especially not in this case, considering the question that he is asking! They're a lot like sportbikes in that sense. I'm sure with users and hardware being the same, somebody who knows what they are doing, can get the tool to perform tasks, regardless if they are on Vista, or XP, or a Mac, or whatever.... To say that you "laugh" at him for his view of Vista, compared to his view of XP, and then enter hardware into the conversation, is equally as laughable.

Sometimes that adage of "Perception is Reality" holds a lot of truth, and in this case, that's all that matters. His hardware is what it is, and if the nuances of Vista displease him, and he prefers the user experience of XP, then who are we to say it's not a better OS for him? :dunno:

Ricky
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I run Vista Home Premium x64, among other things, and have never had problems.

Exactly. I ran it since the beta days, until the Windows 7 RC came out, and it was by far the most stable version of windows I've ever used. My record was 95 days of uptime. But then again, I'm also a MS developer, and I don't run virus software, and I don't install a bunch of worthless crap on my machines. Now that Windows 7 has been released, I'm no longer running Vista on any of my machines. I like to not live in the stone age (XP) ;)

Ricky
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM
To say that you "laugh" at him for his view of Vista being worse than his view of XP, and then enter hardware into the conversation, is equally as laughable.

My only problem with it all is that people bash Vista because other people bash Vista, and when you ask them why they bash Vista, it's some vague explanation like "cause it sucks". People jump on the bash bandwagon. While I'll admit Vista is not perfect, it's a huge leap over XP in technology. If you're using old software/hardware that doesn't work with Vista, then of course there's no choice. My whole point was that the blame goes to Vista, when it's not specifically Vista that is the problem. It's like trying to install a starter for an 06 CBR, that's made for an 07, then blaming the starter for not being compatible.

Zach929rr
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Vista is seksy, I just stuck with XP because I don't want to drop $200 on an OS.

Keepitgreen
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Damn!
Everybody go smoke a bowl or something..

Forget about the whole deal...

How about them Rockies!
Ya!

~Barn~
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah, but the operation and reliablity of a "starter" does not make for the entire experience for a CBR owner. ;)

And I hear what you are saying from a tech persepctive, and I totally believe it. But let me put it to you this way.... If Vista would have been universally embraced and loved and lauded by the computer using world, do you think Win7 would have had the same internal push from Microsoft, to be completed and rolled-out this quickly?

Would MS have put the same time and money into the R&D, and the Marketing and whatever else goes into something like an OS release? I say hell no they wouldn't have! They would have ridden the wave of success, enjoyed the praise, counted their money, and finer(more capable)-technology-be-damned, they would have let it run.

And the justication for it all would have been as simple as saying It's better for the user. (lest we rock the boat), and It's better for Microsoft. (lest we fiddle with our bottom line. $$). It's just one of those subjective things.

~Barn~
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Damn!
Everybody go smoke a bowl or something..

Forget about the whole deal...

How about them Rockies!
Ya!

:lol: They gotta take this series from the Giants in San Fran, and get some help from Cincinnati!

whitebrad
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Ya, I should be in town next week as well..
I am sure I will be out checking out some races on sunday also..

I just got a new 500gb external and have the 320 loaded ready for handing out..
The Toshiba 500 was only like 95 bucks at Best Buy.. I saw that there is already a 640 out as well in the same small passport size.. Damn!

just so you know, i got a terrabite external from micro center for 120 bucks... it is made by seagate, called a free agent drive... you might check and see if they are still doing it

Keepitgreen
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 01:12 PM
just so you know, i got a terrabite external from micro center for 120 bucks... it is made by seagate, called a free agent drive... you might check and see if they are still doing it

Gotta have travel size..
TB is nice, but not yet for me..
I just use mine for movies when I travel..

Things are getting cheaper though..
The 640 I saw was only 140.. Things will get smaller for sure I think..

I noticed that I didn't have to format the Toshiba for my Mac and windows reads it just fine as well.
Things are getting easier to mess with..

rforsythe
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I've been having great luck with those WD Passport drives as well; I use the USB-powered ones. Very small, good capacity, and no need for an external power brick. I've traveled all over with them and have no complaints. MicroCenter usually has those, or some other brand's version of it, on sale. I know when I was in there a couple nights ago they had several hard drives on sale, just can't remember which ones.

vort3xr6
Fri Aug 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
make sure and go WD. I am a system admin and the Seagates BY FAR fail much quicker. My little 2.5 inch 320gb failed in a little over a month. They are designed underpowered and it slowly degrades.

The WD 1 Terabyte is by far the best one out on the market.