PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do a bunch of digital camera research lately?

PhL0aTeR
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM
if so, im looking to capitalize on your work.... lol

The chickadee is going to Ireland for a couple weeks and id like to surprise her with a new digital camera before she goes. As much as she would like to have a gigantic natgeo type camera eventually, its just not feasible for this trip. The kind of camera im looking for should be under $200, have a high number on optical zoom, and be small enough to not be cumbersome.

Thanks!

= Buckeye Jess =
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I'm still in the midst of doing research to replace my point and shoot...but if you are looking for a rocking optical zoom - you just can't beat the Panasonic Lumix series. I had one of the very first out of that group and it had like a 12x optical zoom. Photo quality was great for its time as well! I have not tinkered with the later models, but all the reviews say that it is still a great camera. (Oh and they are all still sporting the leica lenses too!)

The prices on this site are all obviously MSRP, so I'm sure if you find a model you like - you can find it cheaper elsewhere....
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras.75046_11002_7000000000000005702

PhL0aTeR
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM
awesome, i think my job is 75% done, those are awesome cameras, thanks!

= Buckeye Jess =
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Sure thing! If you do end up getting one of 'em, let me know what you think! And I'd love to see some shots!!!!

PhL0aTeR
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Sure thing! If you do end up getting one of 'em, let me know what you think! And I'd love to see some shots!!!!

will do, currently shopping for a DMC-ZR1R

PhL0aTeR
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM

went ahead and picked up a Fuji

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_072S1500/Fujifilm-FinePix-S1500.html?search=fuji+s1500&tp=262

the main reason i didnt buy the lumix was the battery situation with it.... its a proprietary battery, so its just easier for us to dive into our giant pile of AA rechargeables for this kinda thing... plus i can hear it now "Why the hell did you get me a camera that doesnt take regular batteries?!?!?!?!"

thanks for the input though!