PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Outlook Budget for Colorado Springs

The Black Knight
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 07:28 PM
As of last Tuesday, I can no longer offer my opinion due to the(Fair Campaign Practices Act) on all things City Budget. But I can offer information that is being made available to the Public as to educate those that have questions about the Budget process.

so here it is:
http://www.springsgov.com/units/communications/2009%20Update%20and%202010%20Outlook%2008-24-09%20v-082209.pdf

I offer information this as just a "regular Joe citizen" and nothing more...

Read for yourselves and go from there. In the Budget outlook are the break downs of each department and the cuts that will be made accordingly. This was made public by Penny Culbrath(city manager) on August 24, 2009.

To clarify some of the jargon you'll see. When you see reference "FTE's", that translates into "full time employees". The city manager breaks down all the departments(Police, Fire, Transit, Streets, Parks and Rec) and what impact will be felt in each department.

So there you folks have it. No arguing back and forth. Just the facts and information. You can read up on it at the link provided.

And with that, that is all I'm allowed to say on this matter and can offer nothing more, other then facts and information from the City Manger's Budget Outlook.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
You should get a job at one of the private fancy schmancy high end golf courses and tell the city to pack sand. (read The BROADMOOR)

Rhino
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
...but the welfare/section 8 checks will still be on the 1st, right? :roll:

Mental
Sun Aug 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Ah, page 18

Traffic violation surcharge for IT ($5 per summons) 0.22 M
Traffic violation surcharge fee fuel ($5 per summons) 0.22 M

and the next slide

100% cost recovery – Fire Hazmat,
Recreation Services, EMS, Planning

Well, that should be fun. For the first time, kinda glad I'm leaving.

But I'll be honest, glad they are cutting that stupid chopper.

The Black Knight
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Just got this info in a news letter from the "A City Worth Fighting For" group. Thought it had some very good info.

Keep Our City Safe and Our Parks Open!
What kind of community do you want Colorado Springs to be in 2010 and beyond? This is the question we will ask ourselves this November. We will have the opportunity to VOTE YES to keep Colorado Springs a world-class city with great communities and neighborhoods in which to raise our families.

What will it take to keep vital city services functioning? The cost for the average homeowner the first year will be $126 -- that's less than $2.50 a week for the owner of an averaged priced home of $262,000. At the end of five years, the average homeowner will pay about $210 a year, or $4 a week.

If this ballot issue passes, the city will be able to retain the important services we all depend on. Municipal services will stay funded at the 2009 levels, with existing staff for police and fire departments, community centers that are open to all citizens, well-maintained parks and streets and an accessible transit system.

What if the ballot measure doesn't pass? How bad could it be? Here is a preliminary list of cuts that will have to be enacted by next year in order to close the City's projected $25.4 million budget shortfall.

"This isn't a scare tactic, but it is scary."

-Councilman Jerry Heimlicher August 27, 2009

And:

Projected City Budget Cuts for 2010
$9 million and 94 positions will be cut from the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department:

Closes Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site

Pioneers Museum closed, with only minimum staff to manage collection

All seven City pools closed

Six community centers closed

Flowerbed program eliminated

Reduced forestry operations

Eliminates irrigation and maintenance to medians and right-of-ways

Only minimal irrigation and maintenance for 128 neighborhood parks

Transit

Eliminate all City-funded transit services (Only RTA funded will survive)

No evening, weekend, holiday, Shriever or Fort Carson service (62,000 hours)

Time between buses extended from 30 minutes to 1 hour

35 positions eliminated in the Fire Department (includes 11 positions currently unfilled)

Eliminate Squad 108 (six positions)

Cross staff heavy rescue with truck company (12 positions)

Eliminate Squad 7 (six positions)

24 positions eliminated in the Police Department

Elimination of police helicopter

Police Operations Center midnight staff

Training academy sergeant

Three juvenile offender officers

Two community relations sergeant and officer

Four property investigators

Seems this is a more up to date version of what the City Manager's Outlook explained. Interesting to say the least. And I imagine it will continue to evolve week after week as they narrow the budget process down.