PDA

View Full Version : Help, my car died.

Sean
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 04:33 PM
So, I have a very neglected 1998 Isuzu Rodeo. This morning I realized I hadn't drove it in six weeks, so I took it to work. Coming back my speedo and tach decide to start jumping all over the place and then come to a stand still at 0. So going down the interstate they are as if the car is not moving. It seems as if the electricity is very weak (slow windows and turn signal). After I make it home I shut it off and try to start it again. nothing. Just some clicking sounds.

My uneducated assumption is the alternator. Think that's correct?
Thanks!

rybo
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 04:35 PM
try the battery first!

A dead battery will sometimes turn into a black hole and suck up all the power the alternator is producing!

s

SaShWhO
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 04:36 PM
flux capacitor no doubt!

if this checks out ok get your alternator and/or battery checked at autozone for free.
I'll need your addy for my consultation fee

TurboGizzmo
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 04:40 PM
sounds like it, if you can jump it and get it to a autozone (or other car parts place) they can test it but be warned a dead alternator will slowly take out the battery (as well as a dead battery will slowly kill a alternator)

Foolds
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Sean Check the Kill Switch... I bet its switched off =)

McVaaahhh
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Battery. :up:

DRKATO1
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Some had a recall for the battery ground cable that bolts to the bottom of the engine block. I don't remember which years it covers. Some had a service bulletin for an updated alternator.

sloridr
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM
You could jump it then use a multi meter to check the output of the alt. While its running remove the NEGITIVE battery cable. If it stays running chances are its your battery, if not most likely your alt. Or your voltage regulator? Not sure if its integrated into the alt on a rodeo or not.

asp_125
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Side stand, side stand!

1. Battery is bad
2. bad ground conn. - would lead to intermittent symptoms.
3. clicking sound is the starter relay kicking over. The battery could be holding voltage ie charged up, but if it fails the load test it isn't generating the amps to turn the starter over.

rforsythe
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM
Well basically, your car is fucked the fuck up. However at least this happened at home and not somewhere you'd have to get it towed from...

Scer
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 06:05 PM
Take the battery to get checked at autozone or advance. If it tested good then pick up an alternator to swap out. That way you only make one trip to the parts store.

check on checkas

Sean
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks everybody! :up: That's what I was kind of thinking, but having some reassurance is a good thing. I really appreciate all of the quick responses (except for Sash's)!

Sean Check the Kill Switch... I bet its switched off =)Oh no. I know somebody who wants to talk to you now. :guns:

Well basically, your car is fucked the fuck up. However at least this happened at home and not somewhere you'd have to get it towed from...Ralph you are a man of great wisdom. You have no idea how fucked up my car is :lol: And yeah, I was so happy I got it into the driveway.

Foolds
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks everybody! :up: That's what I was kind of thinking, but having some reassurance is a good thing. I really appreciate all of the quick responses (except for Sash's)!

Oh no. I know somebody who wants to talk to you now. :guns:

Ralph you are a man of great wisdom. You have no idea how fucked up my car is :lol: And yeah, I was so happy I got it into the driveway.

Hehe I figured she would be out to get me next time I see her!

Zach929rr
Mon Aug 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM
Check the batt.

Maybe spend the few $$$ and upgrade the following with 1/0 cable cut to length:

1) alternator positive to battery positive
2) battery negative to chassis,
3) engine ground to chassis