PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Line in Denver.....

Bueller
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 06:03 AM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/20659996/detail.html

buzzardman36
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM
Good for them! There's nothing like risking your life to protect the public, then get beat down when it comes to getting paid for it. The Dept. was already overstaffed due to the DNC last year so even after laying off the officers, they will still be fully staffed. Sends a great msg to the city administration.... you can't spend money on stupid shit then when you get in a bind, hurt the ones who help the most.
Now, if only they would lay off all the Parker officers, that way I wouldn't have to live in fear when I'm on my bike and am +1 or +2 miles per hr. over. Parker cops abuse their power every day.:cussing:

whitebrad
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM
Good for them! There's nothing like risking your life to protect the public, then get beat down when it comes to getting paid for it. The Dept. was already overstaffed due to the DNC last year so even after laying off the officers, they will still be fully staffed. Sends a great msg to the city administration.... you can't spend money on stupid shit then when you get in a bind, hurt the ones who help the most.
Now, if only they would lay off all the Parker officers, that way I wouldn't have to live in fear when I'm on my bike and am +1 or +2 miles per hr. over. Parker cops abuse their power every day.:cussing:

Parker cops aren't protective?

Shea
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Wow, not surprising but still. Guess a 4.5% pay cut was worse then a 100% pay cut. Definitely a "fuck your buddy" moment.

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM
Inb4Nick_Ninja

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
All I have 2 say is this is a good day :up:

Shea
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM

They're all going to get hired in Boulder man. Don't be too happy :p

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
They're all going to get hired in Boulder man. Don't be too happy :p

No way. Boulder is broke. Nothing better than cops on the unemployment list. :up: (except Sparky of course).

Foolds
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM
This is poor on the officers side, very very few people are getting raises right now and to demand there raise still is sad. They did it to them selves!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Damn right they did.

~Barn~
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
I've never accused (the majority of) cops, of being masters of critical thinking.
:roll:

I mean yeah I feel bad that people are losing their jobs, and sadly it's the "newies" that are getting the ax first, rather than something more equitable to how the vote came down. Still though.... What exactly were they thinking was going to happen?

But whatever. Doesn't surprise me one bit, that there is no brotherhood, within.... well... The Brotherhood. :no:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM
They'll renegotiate. They have until January 1 to save their n00b brethren. Their union really did them a whole lot of good here didn't it? I hope the union raises their dues in the process. :D

TFOGGuys
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Gee, I wonder if their union is gonna pay their bills, after advising them not to take a pay cut.... :jerkoff:

DavidofColorado
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm happy that there will be less cops working for revenue. I'm not sure we needed 5 cops blocking traffic when 2 would work.
Putting a hold on spending is always a good idea. Why haven't they tried before? Why keep spending when they knew it was a bad idea?
The union is all over this because it means a raise for them, too. Other than making sure you give 2% gross they are pretty worthless.
Here is the reason that the po-po should have not taken the deal.
Ready... Off duty work would more than make up for any loss from a raise. If they would be willing to put an extra 4 hours a week at a bar somewhere slamming drunks on their heads abusing their police powers they would have made up the difference. What are they a bunch of lazy bums they can't put in over time?
Now they are going to have to go to Boulder to live because they have the best shelters.
Its sad.

dapper
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
After reading TBK's post with the Springs budget for next year. To many cities are staying in the red for way to long.

I'm surprised the city didn't release the extra officers after the DNC was completed.

dirkterrell
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised the city didn't release the extra officers after the DNC was completed.

I'm not. Once government grows, it rarely recedes. Don't worry. There will be cries for higher taxes for the sake of "public safety."

Dirk

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM
And I say fuck higher taxes.

dapper
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'm not. Once government grows, it rarely recedes. Don't worry. There will be cries for higher taxes for the sake of "public safety."

DirkThe DNC was a temporary event. All additional security officers should have been hired with a temporary status.

And I say fuck higher taxes.
Hey, I was promoting the impeachment of the 'O' before the election was completed. :lol:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM
The 'O' should be allowed to sail wherever it damn well pleases --- with the little man in the boat as the skipper. :twisted:

dirkterrell
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
The DNC was a temporary event. All additional security officers should have been hired with a temporary status.

This is government we're talking about.

Dirk

~Barn~
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
This is government we're talking about.

Dirk

:lol:

chanke4252
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM

Dirk

Exactly. Government's natural state, regardless of who is running it, is characterized by steady growth with not enough pruning. There is no incentive for anyone to be the bad guy and cut down on waste if they can just raise taxes to pay for their glut while doing their jobs to the bare minimum to avoid getting fired (which rarely happens as long as they just show up to work). As such, there are many jobs and job responsibilities that don't really serve a function anymore. They just ends up becoming bureaucracy and paperwork for the sake of bureaucracy and paperwork.

I worked for the government for a number of years, and it's retarded how much of this goes on. I'd say they EASILY spend 2x as much to do the job than what they need to spend, but realistically they probably spend much more than 2x the necessary cost.

Ol'Skool
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ok, cant sit still through this so here goes.
You can hate cops all you want but the cuts wont stop there. Fire, EMS and other agencies are feeling the pinch too. Thats going to do no one any good, civies or govies.
If you realy want to get pissed off read the big O's push to pass a bill on registering every legaly owned firearm and taxing them.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ok, cant sit still through this so here goes.
You can hate cops all you want but the cuts wont stop there. Fire, EMS and other agencies are feeling the pinch too. Thats going to do no one any good, civies or govies.
If you realy want to get pissed off read the big O's push to pass a bill on registering every legaly owned firearm and taxing them.

Fuck taxing guns. Legalize Pot and tax the hell out of it. But the yo-yo's out there bitching about cutting the po-po's pennies and drumming up all this hysteria about there will be no end to public safety cuts if the sacred pig gets axed -- are the first to jump up on the soap box against that idea. Cops -- where are they when you need um anyway?

~Barn~
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
I agree with you, Ol'Skool. Hopefully Fire, EMS, and other agency members who are given an opportunity to vote on a similar initiative, will have the smarts to decline the raise, in lieu of saving jobs; either their own, or those of their colleagues.

It's not so much a matter of anybody here getting angry, I think a lot of us just find it puzzling that they would do this. And speaking strictly for myself, I feel sorry for the guys getting let go, who may have voted to forego the raise, understanding the possible ramifications.

Canuck
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Yet the county can still come up with the funds to fly that Fucking 'Getto Bird' above my house. :sniper:

The Black Knight
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM
After reading TBK's post with the Springs budget for next year. To many cities are staying in the red for way to long.

That's the thing though Dapper, Colorado Springs city charter requires that the budget be balanced every year. I can't speak for other cities in Colorado but I'm sure they might have either the same or similar charters.

But since it's in our charter for the budget to always be balanced. The city "CAN'T" run into the red, ever. Hence all of the budget cuts. So when revenue's or revenue sources either dip or vanish. Only thing left to cut are services.

Regardless to get back on the topic of the thread. I think 91 cops getting canned because of their own greed, is not shocking. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Then again, that's Union's for you.

DavidofColorado
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 11:48 PM
Yet the county can still come up with the funds to fly that Fucking 'Getto Bird' above my house. :sniper:
That's funny. They go from can't afford it to renting it out to needing it for safety. I guess they need it this year.

Ol'Skool
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Screw the raises (for now, or until the economy picks up), keep the manpower and find other ways to "Balance" the budget. I could name a couple dozen.
What sux is this is now being microscoped by other acencies and other cities who will piggyback on the outcome.

Ol'Skool
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:57 AM
Um yeah, I get it nick ninja, you dont like cops. Thats cool.
If you dont stand for something you'll fall for everything.
I personaly hate tree hugging, prairie dog washing, hygenically challenged Hippies.
We all have our peeves.

Bueller
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Hippies don't abuse authority. And being a communal creature they don't fuck over their brothers and sisters.

Canuck
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
they don't fuck over their brothers and sisters.

Union Guy------> :applause:

CaneZach
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Hippies don't abuse authority. And being a communal creature they don't fuck over their brothers and sisters.

Union Guy------> :applause:

You guys do realize it was the Police UNION that voted to keep the pay raise, correct? You guys make it seem like every officer was given a ballot at roll call and each individual officer voted to keep their raises.

I realize that there is a lot of anti-cop rhetoric that goes on around here for whatever reason, but had this been the city's sewage workers, would this even have made the news? Would anyone on this board even have cared? Of course, had it not been the police, it wouldn't have provided yet another soapbox to bash the police for their "abuse of authority" or "greed".:rolleyes:

I typically stay away from any of the threads relating to police officers, but I had to respond.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Um yeah, I get it nick ninja, you dont like cops. Thats cool.
If you dont stand for something you'll fall for everything.
I personaly hate tree hugging, prairie dog washing, hygenically challenged Hippies.
We all have our peeves.

Yep -- all us hippies are like that. Just like all cops are pigs. :roll:

Devaclis
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
I feel bad for the men and women who are losing their jobs. They are men and women. They just happen to be police officers, as a profession. Being a civil servant comes with different responsibilities, duties, and regulations than you can experience in your regular job. Being in a union does too. Your destiny is no longer up to you as an individual. It is us to those you or your brothers elected to represent you. You basically have a small government, working for the government. What is being reported is a simple, broad overview of what is happening here. It is not just noobs getting fired and vets getting raises. It is unions fighting to keep the foothold they gained and doing whatever they can to not give an inch. I would like to see if even 1 of the union officials who elected to keep the raise is in jeopardy of loosing their job. I highly doubt it.

Anyone have a resource to find out who is on this union? Been looking for 3 days with no luck. I could just be looking for the wrong information.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
I feel bad for the men and women who are losing their jobs. They are men and women. They just happen to be police officers, as a profession. Being a civil servant comes with different responsibilities, duties, and regulations than you can experience in your regular job. Being in a union does too. Your destiny is no longer up to you as an individual. It is us to those you or your brothers elected to represent you. You basically have a small government, working for the government. What is being reported is a simple, broad overview of what is happening here. It is not just noobs getting fired and vets getting raises. It is unions fighting to keep the foothold they gained and doing whatever they can to not give an inch. I would like to see if even 1 of the union officials who elected to keep the raise is in jeopardy of loosing their job. I highly doubt it.

Anyone have a resource to find out who is on this union? Been looking for 3 days with no luck. I could just be looking for the wrong information.

Sicum D

http://www.dppa.com/member.asp

Devaclis
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
That is the DPD Union? Wow, I need to lay off the Viccoden.

Shea
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:29 AM

That is a very broad brush to paint with Bueller. Hippies are not better, nor worse, then any other human.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
The Prairie Dog Union up here in The Peoples Republic just voted in pay raises for all, jumps in seniority for the bottom tier of dogs, and managed dogs choice health care. They have also developed a neighborhood watch program that reduces the need for BPD patrols. :D

Shea
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
The Prairie Dog Union up here in The Peoples Republic just voted in pay raises for all, jumps in seniority for the bottom tier of dogs, and managed dogs choice health care. They have also developed a neighborhood watch program that reduces the need for BPD patrols. :D

lol, how are those Bloody Marys this morning Jeff? :)

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
lol, how are those Bloody Marys this morning Jeff? :)

Drinking Sumatra organic coffe Shea. Zooooooooooooooooooom :twisted:

Devaclis
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Man, I like their newsletters. Seriously. I wonder why there has been no new newsletter since April?

Also, the calendar events has been empty for at least 1 year and for 1 year going forward. Kind of a waste IMO.

The collective bargaining agreement is a little thick but looks like any other contract I have read. I wonder how many people in this organization have read the entire thing?

#1Townie
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
hahaha maybe now they wont cry about getting paid to get dressed!!

fuck em..

Shea
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Drinking Sumatra organic coffe Shea. Zooooooooooooooooooom :twisted:

mmmm tasty :)

Canuck
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
The collective bargaining agreement is a little thick but looks like any other contract I have read. I wonder how many people in this organization have read the entire thing?

Probably not many of them have. That's a big problem with most contracts. Nobody even gives the contract the proper attention it needs. They look at one thing; pay. What am I going to get on the check.
My local union has a similar problem with membership thinking this way. We just went through contract negotiations a month ago. I am one of the few who reads the contract and what changes there may be. I have found a few issues that will affect everyone in one matter or another, but a good portion of the membership could have cared less. We ended up holding our own in the negotiations, but there had to be many behind in support.
It's a Democratic system. If you don't have enough people in support or against an issue, then it's agenda goes by the wayside. I guarentee that if enough members of the police union would have stood up for each other and agreed to work better for concessions to keep those 91 LEO's on the beat, then their union representatives would have drummed a different tune.
As it was proven in this case, more people were worried about their pay scale than their jobs.

Bueller
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
You guys do realize it was the Police UNION that voted to keep the pay raise, correct? You guys make it seem like every officer was given a ballot at roll call and each individual officer voted to keep their raises.

Not a cop thing, abuse of power is everywhere, it is a brotherhood thing, in tough times the union chose to fuck some of the brethren instead of sucking it up and take a small hit as a whole. That is what the union stands for, brotherhood and all. I know I was Union for years until I couldn't get work because the refuse to adapt.
And now to play the public safety card is total BS

That is a very broad brush to paint with Bueller. Hippies are not better, nor worse, then any other human.
Generalizations are all we have here, they are 2 very large and diverse groups of people.

rforsythe
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
No cops are getting fired until at least January, and I guarantee the union is still trying to work out some kind of deal. Guessing this is only one chapter in the DPD budget saga.

I don't much care, I see cops patrolling my area about once a year unless someone calls them (and the last time I called them the response time was 2 hours - and this was for my crackhead neighbors shooting fireworks at us and trying to set houses on fire) so I don't anticipate much of a change in the negative. They want to eat their own, let 'em.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
They should pay more attention to the 112-186 vacation hours, the 18 sick days, and the ability to carry over 144 vacation hours per year and accrue up to 90, yes, fucking 90 sick days all paid. That is back end money. Stuff not in your 40 hour per week pay check.

Probably not many of them have. That's a big problem with most contracts. Nobody even gives the contract the proper attention it needs. They look at one thing; pay. What am I going to get on the check.
My local union has a similar problem with membership thinking this way. We just went through contract negotiations a month ago. I am one of the few who reads the contract and what changes there may be. I have found a few issues that will affect everyone in one matter or another, but a good portion of the membership could have cared less. We ended up holding our own in the negotiations, but there had to be many behind in support.
It's a Democratic system. If you don't have enough people in support or against an issue, then it's agenda goes by the wayside. I guarentee that if enough members of the police union would have stood up for each other and agreed to work better for concessions to keep those 91 LEO's on the beat, then their union representatives would have drummed a different tune.
As it was proven in this case, more people were worried about their pay scale than their jobs.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
No cops are getting fired until at least January, and I guarantee the union is still trying to work out some kind of deal. Guessing this is only one chapter in the DPD budget saga.

I don't much care, I see cops patrolling my area about once a year unless someone calls them (and the last time I called them the response time was 2 hours - and this was for my crackhead neighbors shooting fireworks at us and trying to set houses on fire) so I don't anticipate much of a change in the negative. They want to eat their own, let 'em.

Reading through the newsletters, there does not appear to be a budget deficit. It looks like there will be an additional 3.3% in tax revenue this year. hmmmm, what a predicament.

1. Make money
2. Get bitches
3. Profit?

Shea
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM

You're probably right Ralph. This is just the opening shot in the eventual renegotiation of the contract. "You want to look like you're putting your constituents at risk Mr. Politician? Find the money"...

Personally I'm pretty sick of these politicians declaring the first thing to go in a budget crisis is police/fire/ems personnel and letting all the rapists out of the prisons into your neighborhood. Really? How about cutting your fracking staff by 50% Mr. Mayor? How about taking a pay cut? Slash the bureaucracy by 50% and imagine all the money you will have to use on cops (and put them in N_N's back yard) :)

Canuck
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
How about cutting your fracking staff by 50% Mr. Mayor? How about taking a pay cut? Slash the bureaucracy by 50% and imagine all the money you will have to use on cops... :)

Agreed :)

Devaclis
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
I think you should work on reducing the need for police rather than justifying the need for more of them.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
I think you should work on reducing the need for police rather than justifying the need for more of them.

+1 --- Parents need to go to jail when their offspring screw up.

salsashark
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
How about taking a pay cut? Slash the bureaucracy by 50% and imagine all the money you will have to use on cops (and put them in N_N's back yard) :)

Agreed :)

I was wondering what the current market value of the Governer's mansion is this morning... That's a nice chunk of real estate right downtown. Would probably go for a couple of million...

Hell, zillow (http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/400-E-8th-Ave-Denver-CO-80203/82272828_zpid/) has it estimated at 4.7, that could stave off some "critical" budget cuts!

Shea
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:30 AM

Yeah but we can only keep you and Silva in jail for so long before you're back on the street :)

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you but was commenting more on the inclination of politicians to cut basic services rather then bureaucracy when it comes to the inevitable budget "crisis".

Zanos
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM

You make me sick.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
There is nothing wrong with a man having a justified hatred for those who choose to perform a specific duty in life.

The only thing wrong is to not let him express it.

If you knew the reason the Ninja feels the way he did, you would take back what you just said. I guarantee it.

Or you can just refuse, go on your merry way, and make unwarranted comments. Ignorance is bliss.

And no offense to you or what you do. You are a great guy. I am just saying, listen to the Ninja before you go off on a hate spree.

Zanos
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
Dana, are you calling me ignorant?

Almost 100 people are out of a job. Forget the fact that it is a Police Department or not. If anyone on this board or the state lost their job in mass like this issue, I would not be cheering. No matter whom it was. That is almost 100 people who may not be able to find another job anytime soon and may not be able to pay rent, or for their sick child.

He can hate cops all he wants, I have no intentions on asking him why. It is nothing new. The cheering is uncalled for, in any aspect, for any profession - 100 plumbers/electricians, 100 king soopers employees, anyone.

d3spair
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Great the Springs could stand to fire 100 traffic cops too, oh wait no they'd lose money then... *cough*

Devaclis
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM

Almost 100 people are out of a job. Forget the fact that it is a Police Department or not. If anyone on this board or the state lost their job in mass like this issue, I would not be cheering. No matter whom it was. That is almost 100 people who may not be able to find another job anytime soon and may not be able to pay rent, or for their sick child.

He can hate cops all he wants, I have no intentions on asking him why. It is nothing new. The cheering is uncalled for, in any aspect, for any profession - 100 plumbers/electricians, 100 king soopers employees, anyone.

I never called you ignorant. I never saw mention in that article about a sick child either. I am stating facts here. if you are unwilling to hear both sides of the story in this instance, and be impartial, well, then there you go, fulfilling a stereotype.

Don't make this between you and I. It is not. And it will not be. Just don't be THAT guy who is an asshole to those who do not agree with you if you are not willing to find out why. THAT is ignorant.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
I think what will happen will be that the cops that are still employed will just be pushed far harder to write tickets for more revenue. So, while they won't be able to cover as much ground, they'll be more agressive on the ground they DO cover.

CaneZach
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM

Listen here, motha fucka', those tickets ain't gonna write themselves!!! :lol:

CaneZach
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
I never called you ignorant. I never saw mention in that article about a sick child either. I am stating facts here. if you are unwilling to hear both sides of the story in this instance, and be impartial, well, then there you go, fulfilling a stereotype.

Don't make this between you and I. It is not. And it will not be. Just don't be THAT guy who is an asshole to those who do not agree with you if you are not willing to find out why. THAT is ignorant.

The Ninja and I may sit on two completely different points of view, but mi casa es his casa any day of the week.

TFOGGuys
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM

It's unfortunate that the union has failed in it's duty to look after the interests of ALL of it's members. I'd be willing to bet that 100% of the officers laid off would rather take a 4.5% pay cut than a 100% pay cut. Cops have a tough job, and it's often thankless. The police union is an anachronistic parasite that needs to be excised.

~Barn~
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
And the funny thing is that it wasn't even a "cut" that they were faced with, rather it was not getting a 4.5% raise!

Ol'Skool
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Holy S#$%!
Stop The Presses!
Nick and I agree on something! (and the universe wasnt torn appart)
Parents do need to take more responsibilities for their kids actions. I dont think we'll ever see this but wishful thinking.

whitebrad
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
They should pay more attention to the 112-186 vacation hours, the 18 sick days, and the ability to carry over 144 vacation hours per year and accrue up to 90, yes, fucking 90 sick days all paid. That is back end money. Stuff not in your 40 hour per week pay check.

shit... they must not be able to take a paycheck looking thier boss straight in the eye... thieves!

so, in essence, if the cops have a sort of government, who is actually in charge of them? in Chicago the cops say they are the biggest gang there, use gang-like tactics, and are all fuckin (not all, really) criminals...

The Black Knight
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Personally I'm pretty sick of these politicians declaring the first thing to go in a budget crisis is police/fire/ems personnel and letting all the rapists out of the prisons into your neighborhood. Really? How about cutting your fracking staff by 50% Mr. Mayor? How about taking a pay cut? Slash the bureaucracy by 50% and imagine all the money you will have to use on cops (and put them in N_N's back yard) :)

Careful with that one Shea, I'm on the inside(meaning government) of the equation and I can tell you first hand. That when it comes time for a budget cut, Police, Fire and EMS are NEVER the first on the chopping block.

Now I don't know how it works in other cities but I can tell you from personal experience that "Public Safety" if you will, never gets cut first. They are always "LAST" are are rarely even touched. You other departments(Transit, Streets, Public Works, Parks and Rec, HR Department, I.T. and etc.) in a local municipality will always be first to either go or get cut severely.

When and only "WHEN" those other departments in the organization are either done away with or cut so severely, then you will see Public Safety on the chopping block. And if by chance they do make it on, they will exhaust ever means necessary to keep bodies(meaning people's jobs) over operating budgets(i.e. vehicle replacement program, supplies and so forth).

Now many times politicians will throw the Public Safety card out there in order to either get some votes or get some money. Problem is now with the Recession, it's crunch time and it's actually not BS!! they are spewing out. Again this coming from someone within the organization, I do get to see where Tax dollars go and what they fund. And when it aint' there, it really "AIN'T" there. HAHA

Also, not sure how much Denver's Mayor gets paid. Here in the Springs our Mayor and City Council are limited(by public vote) to roughly only $6000+ dollars for their salaries as public officials. A few years back they wanted a pay raise of 50%(or up to $12000) and the citizens shut them down.

So I'm not sticking up for our mayor and city council(I loathe them actually) but the facts are, are elected officials make basically nothing. Then again they really do nothing as well, so I guess it balances out for them HAHAHA!

Shea
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
So I'm not sticking up for our mayor and city council(I loathe them actually) but the facts are, our elected officials make basically nothing. Then again they really do nothing as well, so I guess it balances out for them HAHAHA!

Yeah, I don't think 100k+ is "nothing", but you and I may disagree on that. :)

http://facethestate.com/articles/11595-amidst-budget-uncertainty-hickenlooper-lobbies-pay-raises

Or how about the $24 million they spend on trash removal. Why don't the good people have to pay for it like the rest of us?

My HUGE problem is that government doesn't have to play by the same rules as the rest of us. When we lose our jobs, get "downsized", whatever, we tighten our belts and we prioritize. We put our budget into need, want, nice to have. Politicians put everything in the "need" category and create this crisis mentality in order to convince us of how important X is.

Take California. The governator declared that he was going to cut police/fire/ems services, release prisoners but otter funding was kept, Eco-friendly drycleaning initiatives were preserved. What dbag politician decided that a cop on the street was less important then otters being able to clean thier coats in an eco-friendly dry cleaner?

TFOGGuys
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
I couldn't find any hard numbers for the mayor, but Denver city council members are paid $78,173 in salary, plus another $225,000 to operate their offices(plus additional funds to cover office rent if they have their offices outside the City and County building). The council president receives $87,539, plus the $225,000. The Managers of Aviation for DIA each receive $162,518 (2) in salary, so Mr. Hickenlooper is probably north of $200K.

http://www.denvergov.org/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/tabid/382315/Default.aspx#FAQ5

Shea
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
I couldn't find any hard numbers for the mayor, but Denver city council members are paid $78,173 in salary, plus another $225,000 to operate their offices(plus additional funds to cover office rent if they have their offices outside the City and County building). The council president receives $87,539, plus the $225,000. The Managers of Aviation for DIA each receive $162,518 (2) in salary, so Mr. Hickenlooper is probably north of $200K.

http://www.denvergov.org/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/tabid/382315/Default.aspx#FAQ5

"Hick" is also a multi-millionare, he should take NO salary...there's two cops right there (at least).

Civil servants shouldn't get paid more then the mean average for their city/county/state. Which for Denver would be 59,590. Just my opinion...

rforsythe
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
"Hick" is also a multi-millionare, he should take NO salary...there's two cops right there (at least).

So if he took office with 10 grand to his name his services would somehow be worth more?

Have you considered how he got to be a multi-millionaire, and what the many businesses he's owned have done economically for the community (including employing people)?

Everyone's quick to lynch a guy for making or having a lot of money, ignoring that he might have actually, you know, made it the hard way.

Civil servants shouldn't get paid more then the mean average for their city/county/state. Which for Denver would be 59,590. Just my opinion...

I disagree. They should be paid competitively for the services they provide, just like any other employee of a business. If he's making north of $200K (I don't really know), good for him. I'm not a fan of 100% of his decisions, but he's done a lot for the city and has probably brought that much back in several times over.

Everyone just hears recession and starts freaking out, "ohh that guy works for the state and makes more than I do, get him!!", like being a civil servant somehow absolves them from reality. He's not getting paid to manage a Starbucks, or some team of a dozen people at a corporation. He's getting paid to manage a major city and everything that comes with it, and $200K is NOT unreasonable for that kind of a job.

Filo
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
It is too bad for the folks who lost their jobs, but at my company we cut 26% of our work force and the rest of us got a 10% pay cut. The fact the union decided to stick with the raise gives me yet another reason to think unions need to get a clue.

PoisonRVT
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
It is too bad for the folks who lost their jobs, but at my company we cut 26% of our work force and the rest of us got a 10% pay cut. The fact the union decided to stick with the raise gives me yet another reason to think unions need to get a clue.

Exactly, they would rather keep their raises while their friends get fired, sounds like some selfish bastards, definently the union.

The Black Knight
Wed Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I don't think 100k+ is "nothing", but you and I may disagree on that. :)

http://facethestate.com/articles/11595-amidst-budget-uncertainty-hickenlooper-lobbies-pay-raises

Or how about the $24 million they spend on trash removal. Why don't the good people have to pay for it like the rest of us?

My HUGE problem is that government doesn't have to play by the same rules as the rest of us. When we lose our jobs, get "downsized", whatever, we tighten our belts and we prioritize. We put our budget into need, want, nice to have. Politicians put everything in the "need" category and create this crisis mentality in order to convince us of how important X is.

Take California. The governator declared that he was going to cut police/fire/ems services, release prisoners but otter funding was kept, Eco-friendly drycleaning initiatives were preserved. What dbag politician decided that a cop on the street was less important then otters being able to clean thier coats in an eco-friendly dry cleaner?
Oh I agree with you Shea, like I say. I don't know what ever City official gets paid throughout Colorado. Just know that the Springs city council make beans compared to others.

Then again, we run a "Weak Mayor" system, whereas you(Denver) and Pueblo run a "Strong Mayor" system. So I'm sure in the Strong Mayor cities they make more.

The thing that irritates me about a "weak mayor" system, is the fact that we also have a City Manager. Whose main job is basically to run the city. Well the probably is, we've got to many roosters in the hen house. Because eventhough our City Manager runs stuff, she still has to answer to the Mayor and City Council. Who basically veto everything the always brings them. I wish the Springs would just pick one or the other. Either let the City Manager do the job she was hired to do, or get rid of the City Manager and run a Strong Mayor and have him run everything. Either way the burden of decisions falls mainly on one person, instead of having 10 minds throwing their .02 cents in, and only to make themselves look good. It's not like they come together and actually try and think stuff up. Most fo the time our City Council is consumed with in-fighting.

Oh well, such is the life of a Politician.... Zero Results Achieved

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Holy S#$%!
Stop The Presses!
Nick and I agree on something! (and the universe wasnt torn appart)
Parents do need to take more responsibilities for their kids actions. I dont think we'll ever see this but wishful thinking.

You have no @$&$% clue who I am.

Ol'Skool
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:06 AM
Relax tough guy, just trying to end the unendable thread on a good note.