PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Boulder!!!

dapper
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Boulder's naturals industry pioneers gear up for GMO fight (http://www.functionalingredientsmag.com/article/NorthSouth-America/boulder-fights-monsanto-gmos.aspx)

Frequently referred to as one of the epicenters of the organics and natural products industry, Boulder, Colorado, may soon become ground zero for the battle between the forces of organics and those of genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
"They [Monsanto] picked a fight with the wrong folks," Retzloff says. "We have a lot of resources and a lot of people who are going to be active on this stuff."
Retzloff thinks that the die is cast. "Monsanto knows they could lose here, and that the ramifications of that are huge. Boulder is a place with lots of highly educated people and thought leaders. Mobilizing out of here means that the entire industry is going to hear about it, and the story is going to end up being much larger than it is now.
"And the more Americans are educated about the dangers of GMOs and Monsanto's tactics, the more problems Monsanto is going to have. Agricultural biotech has Americans in their back pocket, and we have to change that situation, to bring forth the challenges and problems that GMOs are going to cause in the future."
And so Demos says the next round will be to call for a referendum on the policy of what can be grown on open-space land, to educate the community and get the issue on the ballot for public vote.
Retzloff promises it will be a good fight. "They are awakening a sleeping dragon," he says.
Today IS a good day!

If you're wanting links with data and videos related to Monsanto, ask for it.:)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 04:29 PM
I worked for Mark Retzloff. They did pick a fight with the wrong folk.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
I see nothing wrong with genetically modified organisms. We were all genetically modified at conception.

asp_125
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
If you've eaten strawberries in the last decade, you've eaten GMO food. Natural strawberries are tiny and sweet, not all plumped up and watery.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM
I heard they are trying to make beans, like the ones used in chili, that don't give you gas, pigs (pork) that have the good oils like fish do and not all of that bad fat, and generally trying to find ways to make all the foods you like, good for you. This was on an AM radio station early in the morning a few years back trying to promote the idea.

At least, that's there side of the story.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
I see nothing wrong with genetically modified organisms. We were all genetically modified at conception.

Or after attending a Bostons Bike Night :alien:

Pandora-11
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM
Monsanto is notorious for toxicity issues. When I lived briefly in Alabama, they were sued by the community in Oxford, AL for a decade of knowledge of their PCB toxicity released into the community and to their employees. They had to pay out $700 million to settle the case. They are not to be trusted.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Monsanto is notorious for toxicity issues. When I lived briefly in Alabama, they were sued by the community in Oxford, AL for a decade of knowledge of their PCB toxicity released into the community and to their employees. They had to pay out $700 million to settle the case. They are not to be trusted.

+1

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Mankind has been genetically altering themselves, animals, and plants for hundreds of thousands of years. It's called "breeding". Doesn't mean it's a bad thing, and the possibilities for good FAR outweigh the bad. would it be great to genetically weed out coronary artery disease, or "diabeetus", or cancer? Would it be good to have crops more resistant to disease? You betcha. These are goals the granolas cannot achieve. Genetic engineering simply is faster. Now, will there be cross-breeding? Possibly, probably, but it happens every day anyways and I can't see a real legal challenge working. Of course, it IS Boulder.......:)

Now, maybe that company is unethical, fine, but the opportuniy for advancing things for us is enormous, and I have no problem with it.