PDA

View Full Version : Riverdale accident.

Tylar
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_13255549

RIP rider.

FYI, Riverdale is a nice road from 104th that runs along side of the Platte river and places you just west of Brighton on Highway 7. It can be a ton of fun.

SaShWhO
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
should have worn his helmet I guess.

RIP rider

McVaaahhh
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
RIP Rider.

DevilsTonic
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:33 AM
Wonder how fast he was going. Either way, RIP!

TFOGGuys
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Holy shit....He was one of my best customers :shocked:

Gotta make some calls.....

Foolds
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Wow Rip Rider... Be careful now Adams county Will start watching this road closer.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
RIP Theodore...that road can be very dangerous as this shows.

My brothers friend hit a van head-on, just past Riverdale G.C. about 8 or 9 years ago. He was fortunate enough to live, but had to be heli'd out. He also froze up in one of the corners.

Tylar
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:20 AM

My brothers friend hit a van head-on, just past Riverdale G.C. about 8 or 9 years ago. He was fortunate enough to live, but had to be heli'd out. He also froze up in one of the corners.

Going northbound you take a right around the tee-box then decend to a nice left that puts you up against the canal . . . that one is horribly decieving. The gravel trucks enter the road there and there's always a surprise. One of these days i'm going to broom out that area and take that corner the way I've always wanted to.

TFOGGuys
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM

I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone, but Bear was a VERY experienced rider. He was an electrician out at DIA, and never drank. I'm still kind of in shock at this.

Foolds
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Going northbound you take a right around the tee-box then decend to a nice left that puts you up against the canal . . . that one is horribly decieving. The gravel trucks enter the road there and there's always a surprise. One of these days i'm going to broom out that area and take that corner the way I've always wanted to.

Yep my first pass along this area is always a scouting trip because you never know what the gravel pit has waiting for you!

Tylar
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone, but Bear was a VERY experienced rider. He was an electrician out at DIA, and never drank. I'm still kind of in shock at this.

I do hope is family is alright. Let us know, Jim, please.

A few of us live up here right by it.

FALCONSEYE
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Keep seeing/hearing these unfortunate events lately. Yesterday or the day before, somebody laid his/hers bike on i225/i25 intersection. I didn't see the rider but hopefully s/he is ok. There was another news about another bike crash on tv this morning too.

be safe ---

Hack Job
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
I always tip toe around that gravel pit the first time.

the only curb I can think of on riverdale is up on the last stretch closer to 104th. Must have happened right next to my house. :(

There was a bad accident on that stretch two nights ago as well. They had riverdale closed off. I had to loop back to CO blvd to get home.

BUSANAS
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Sad, there has been way too many accidents this year... wear your helmets guys! might not always save your life but you got a hell a better chance.

Matty
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
Sad, there has been way too many accidents this year...

same as every year.

R.I.P.

UglykidJoe
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Holy shit....He was one of my best customers :shocked:

Gotta make some calls.....

Sorry to hear Jim.

RIP Rider

Scer
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
RIP to the rider.
I have been on that road very many times. Just recently too. Easy to get the speed up for it and to be pushed over the edge by some off camber turns.

gear on gear'as

Stank Juic3
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
My friend rolled his car 4 times about a month ago on riverdale (but he was drunk). I fly sometimes down it but I know the been driving/riding down that road for 9 years. Ehhh this is enough to make me slow down. Riverdale isn't really "curvy". There like 3 blind curves. Anyhow

RIP

raptor7887
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
holy crap, i know his niece... i guess it was on 102nd and riverdale.

k_smittay
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Who the F doesn't wear a helmet anymore. I mean common! Every week I see a death in the news paper along the front range.. and EVERYONE who has died wasnt wearing a helmet. Almost 50% (or around 2500) of motorcycle accident deaths are attributed to not wearing a helmet, or wearing it "improperly" (whatever that means). Crazy world we live in. I guess as long as people don't wear gear there will be a steady stream of salvage/parts bikes to choose from on the market.

usmcab35
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 01:40 PM
i live just east of 100th and riverdale and i always see dumb people on bikes ( harleys/ sportbikes) flying down that road with there helmet strapped to the bike and not there head. Dont know if you u people know but ur head is about as strong as a watermelon compared to the road, your head will ALWAYS lose. some people just never realize till its too late.

Skinbabe
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM
RIP Rider... be safe out there people!!

CougarKat
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I lived right there by that road, I know well enough to wear my gear if I'm going to do that! SAME day we lost another rider on i-36... Cops say motorcylcist was at fault swerving into the far left lane in front of a car, it hit the barrier... and the motorcyclists back tire, the car ended up flipping twice and the rider didn't survive his injuries! USE YOUR HEAD! GOD GAVE IT TO YOU FOR A REASON!... Please wear your helment!

Tipys
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Who the F doesn't wear a helmet anymore. I mean common! Every week I see a death in the news paper along the front range.. and EVERYONE who has died wasnt wearing a helmet. Almost 50% (or around 2500) of motorcycle accident deaths are attributed to not wearing a helmet, or wearing it "improperly" (whatever that means). Crazy world we live in. I guess as long as people don't wear gear there will be a steady stream of salvage/parts bikes to choose from on the market.

i believe it is more like 80percent attributed to not wearing a helmet. I am not sure on that number but I know it is higher then 50 percent.

RIP Rider

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM
i believe it is more like 80percent attributed to not wearing a helmet. I am not sure on that number but I know it is higher then 50 percent.

RIP Rider

I'm pretty sure the stat is ~40% of fatalities were not wearing a helmet. Which if you want to twist stats says your more likely to die with one on(60% of fatalities) than off(40%). I don't believe it one bit but stats are a funny thing and can indicate whatever you want.

RIP rider. Died on my favorite road to lap in winter. I'll think of you next time I'm there.

Zach929rr
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM
In 1998, 46% of fatally injured motorcycle drivers were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash.

Granted, the data is 10 years dated, but I would bargain it still rings true at the same percentage.

Report comes from NHTSA.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/crash.htm

edit:

During the 10-year time-period from 1997 through 2006, 13,883 motorcycle riders were fatally injured in single-vehicle fatal motorcycle crashes, with 51 percent of these riders being helmeted, 46 percent unhelmeted, and 3 percent with unknown helmet use.

KoryBricker
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 10:08 PM
What would be interesting is to break it down a little more and seperate the accidents where where the rider was not wearing a helmet vs the accidents where the rider was wearing a helmet and then look at the percentage of deaths for each.

For example say:
1000 accidents total.
300 of those accidents the rider was NOT wearing a helmet
700 of those accidents the rider WAS wearing a helmet

Then compare the percentage of the 700 that were fatal vs the percentage of the 300 that were fatal.

That way you can show a little more clear that if you are in an accident it is X times more likely to be fatal if you are wearing a helmet than if you aren't.

Using the other method can skew the numbers too much and is inaccurate. Using the example above, just say both of them are 50/50 for fatalites. That would show that you are just as likely to die with or without a helmet BUT when you combine them and look at the stats it would be 150 without helmets 350 with helmets and the stats would then say that of the 500 fatal accidents 70 percent were wearing helmets making it look more dangerous to wear a helmet

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
What would be interesting is to break it down a little more and seperate the accidents where where the rider was not wearing a helmet vs the accidents where the rider was wearing a helmet and then look at the percentage of deaths for each.

For example say:
1000 accidents total.
300 of those accidents the rider was NOT wearing a helmet
700 of those accidents the rider WAS wearing a helmet

Then compare the percentage of the 700 that were fatal vs the percentage of the 300 that were fatal.

That way you can show a little more clear that if you are in an accident it is X times more likely to be fatal if you are wearing a helmet than if you aren't.

Yup. Only an engineer could be so practical. :headbang:

Nick_Ninja
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 01:14 AM
*** Prepair**** Nevrmind....................

Jtigger
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Heard today that the rider suffered a heart attack while riding causing him to go down.
A coworkers daughter lives right there and is a nurse so was able to get some additional information on the cause of the accident.

RIP rider