PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oils?

motaboy
Tue Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
I am debating a switch to a synthetic motor oil for my '03 ZX-6R and don't really know if the expensive syn. oils are worth it. Any advice is much appreciated.

thanks.
motaboy

P.S. Any info on best brand and best place to buy would also be helpful. I went to Fay Myers and only found the Kawi brand syn. and some other not widely known brands.

Lel
Tue Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:55 AM
I remember reading something about full synth vs semi synth vs dinosaur oils... i really need to try and find that... anyways full synth walked all over the others in the tests.

I highly recommmend mobil 1 mx4t... up there in price but its a great oil for the engine... hell even just mobil 1 auto oil wouldnt be that bad for it.

lel

Lomax
Tue Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:16 AM
I run Motul in the Ducati, Syn3 in the Glide and Buell, and regular BMW oil in the R1150GS (as they do not recommend synth for 10K miles. Long break in?). I am not a scientist but it does seem to make the bikes run cooler and smoother to the seat of my pants. Who cares about the cost as it is only 3 or 4 quarts every 3K miles. Oil changes are cheap insurance for engines. My biggest suggestion is to make sure you do not run the Synthetic oils that contain the mileage enhancement additive (I think that is what it is called, it should be written on the can) as these will mess up your wet clutch. I believe that the Mobil1 red cap 15-50 ?? is OK to use as it does not contain these additives. Remember that my advise is worth exactly what you paid for it. :lol:

Ride Safe.
Marc

RAGrote
Tue Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
No huge difference.

I have the documents and test to prove it but the forum won't let me attach a .txt, .doc or .htm file.

It comes down to personal preference. Up to 1500 miles synth shears less. After that they both "wear" the same.

I use the oil, auto or mc, that makes the bike work the best with regards to shifting.

Now I'm using Mobil 1 red cap. Works great in the new tranny.

rybo
Tue Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:57 AM
Synthetic oils are superior to the dino oils, especially when the engine is cold started. This is the period of time when the most damage happens.

The motorcycle specific oils are not worth the extra money. Regular auto synthetics can be used for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. With a wet clutch be carefull to avoid oils with "friction modifiers" as these can make your clutch slip at high power. Mobil 1 15W 50 (red cap) does not have friction modifiers, all other weights of Mobil 1 do.

Also check out Amsoil. They have motorcycle specific synthetics for about the same price as car synthetics at Wally World. I've run their oils for years and been very pleased. No friction modifiers in any of their motorcycle blends.

Best to you

Scott

Lel
Tue Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:58 AM
Lomax I think your talking about the molybdenum additive.

Lel

MSienkiewicz
Wed Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
So, how often does one change their oil on a race weekend?
:roll:

rybo
Wed Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:03 PM
When I had a racebike it was once every other track day.

Horn_E_NINJA
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I ride an 04 ZX6 and highly recommend Silkoline(spelling error). I use the semi-synth 10/40 and it cut down on the vibration I never noticed until I rode my buddies slow ass Honda. I think I may change to 15/50 next change but I haven't decided yet. Good luck and nice bike.:)