PDA

View Full Version : Blowout

swademaster
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Had this one happen at about 80 MPH last night. Of course I was about 130 miles from home when it happened, just east of Sterling. I was on my way to NE for a funeral today, but never made it. It happen shortly after 5 PM and my wife finally got there to pick me up at about 7:30 PM. The only person that stopped was a CSP officer, and he had to turn around and come back. Damn Harley riders just rode on by like they didn't see me. I have no idea what I hit.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/swademaster/August2009095.jpg

sprtbkbabe
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Dang Wade! Glad ur ok!!!

MetaLord 9
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Crap man! Glad you're ok, that coulda been waaaaay nasty at 80 mph!

jplracing
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Wade

Damn scary shit

Is it possible when the tire was put on, the installer tore the bead? It looks like to me that the tire ripped rather than hitting something?

Just a thought

Joe

Horsman
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yikes 80mph blowout!!! Yikes... Glad you made it back!!!

InlineSIX24
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Always wondered how the bike would handle with a blowout at that speed. Glad you were able to ride it out.

DorJammer
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I am really getting tired of Harley Riders attitudes.

Old buddy of mine bought a Harley, known they guy for 14 years, ran into him over at Pipers and he acted like he didn't know me.

Buch of ingnorant asses who paid to much for ancient technology

McVaaahhh
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Front or rear?

Glad you're alright Wade! :up:

Jason ON
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Looks like the front. When I had a blowout back in July I was lucky to only be doing 45 or so.

Think
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Damn, glad you're ok. I blew out my rear going around 90-95ish on 25. A piece of my tire actually hit sag in the face shield. Shit's scary.

swademaster
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Wade

Damn scary shit

Is it possible when the tire was put on, the installer tore the bead? It looks like to me that the tire ripped rather than hitting something?

Just a thought

Joe

No, I hit something. I felt something hit the bottom of my right boot. I thought it was the strap from my saddle bag. By the time I reached back to check the saddle bag, I realized the tire was blown and whatever cut it hit my boot. It also put a good nick in the wheel.

Always wondered how the bike would handle with a blowout at that speed. Glad you were able to ride it out.

The bike was fishtailing. I had slowed a good amount by the time the tire was completely flat, only a few seconds. It was easily controllable and never scared my. Staying loose probably helped a lot.

Front or rear?

Glad you're alright Wade! :up:

Rear

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I am really getting tired of Harley Riders attitudes.

Old buddy of mine bought a Harley, known they guy for 14 years, ran into him over at Pipers and he acted like he didn't know me.

Buch of ingnorant asses who paid to much for ancient technology

I'm tired of idiots lumping us Harley riders all together. Ass. Maybe your "old buddy" is sick of your f'n attitude.

FWIW, I would have stopped without a second thought.

Zach929rr
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 09:40 PM
The bike was fishtailing. I had slowed a good amount by the time the tire was completely flat, only a few seconds. It was easily controllable and never scared my. Staying loose probably helped a lot.

FWIW, the fishtailing happened to me when I had a flat. Luckily I was on the city streets doing about ~45. When I went to change lanes and gave it a minor increase in throttle, I got a decent fishtail out of it. I thought I had a hit a slick spot until I got to a red light ~1/8 mile down the road, looked at the rear, and found it flat. I probably rode on the flat for ~1mi in traffic without knowing :oops:

Also, about the Harley comment, I haven't been riding too long (hence my noobishness with the flat) and I know that it's the rider, not the bike.

Reyven
Fri Sep 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Glad to hear you are ok Wade! Should have given us a call, we aren't too far from you at that point.

CBRSue
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 08:01 AM
That is scary! :shocked:Especially at that speed and with being so far from home. Amazing you stayed so calm. Glad you're OK! :)

I had a rear tire blowout many years ago and got really lucky in getting help. An ol' man pulled over, took my wheel to a shop for a new tire, came back and put my wheel back on and I was good to go. And this good samaritan was on a Harley! He mentioned that he had a daughter and would want someone to do the same for her... that really helped of course, along with the fact that the was on a Harley, which meant he was carrying plenty of tools, hee hee! And that sissy bar made for a great way to haul the wheel around.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Wow! Scary, glad you're ok and didn't damage anything. Looks like the rim isn't even scratched, so that's good. Never seen anything like that happen.

My buddy back in the mid-'80's had a rear let go.....but he totally deserved it. He'd wear the rears down to the cords, then he wondered why it blew up one time and destroyed his taillight and stuff. Idiot. I was skating on thin ice when I came back from my SLC trip a few weekends ago. I bought new tires, went to get them mounted today so I could ride the weekend, and the idiot I talked to yesterday on the phone at the M/C shop didn't even tell me they were going to be closed today when I TOLD him I'd be in tomorrow in the morning and asked him when they opened!:banghead::scream1:

Glad you're ok.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I'm tired of idiots lumping us Harley riders all together. Ass. Maybe your "old buddy" is sick of your f'n attitude.

FWIW, I would have stopped without a second thought.
Well, I'm sure there's a few good ones, like you and a few others, but, lets face it, the vast majority of the ones I've passed in the 26+ years I've been riding refuse to even wave back, let alone stop for a guy on a Metric bike of any sort. I remember clearly one time this idiot on a Hardly dropped his bike right in front of me while he was trying to put gas in it. In the second or so it took him to react he was still pumping gas on it as it went over and it was spilling out of the tank onto the hot engine. I ran over to help because he couldn't get it up (pun intended) and when we got the thing righted and offered to go get my P/U a few blocks away at home to get his bike home because it'd broken the clutch lever off, he didn't even want to know me and instead called one of his REAL biker buddies. It was pretty rude. Loser.... I rode off laughing at him.

So, I tend to think his old "buddy" is just being a dick.