PDA

View Full Version : WTF?!?! Muscle Cramp????? What is it?

Cat118!
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 10:23 AM
It hasn't happened for a long time.... but I had a few times that in the middle of the night I wake up in pain from a sudden muscle cramp.... in my calf.
It does a hard flex..... and wont release the contraction.... it hurts alot!!!

Last night same thing except both calves.... I was slap/tapping them to get them to unflex and wasn't working..... I have have no clue way it happens.... Last several seconds and now my calves are sore this morning like I worked them out.

Any ideas?

cromer611
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
you drinking enough water? my lady used to have the same prob, she points her toes when she dreams (dunno why) but she doesnt drink enough water, hense the cramp

Cat118!
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
points her toes??? LOL

water...ummmmmmm......maybe I should drink more...

Its sooo weird its flexes like how you would flex your muscles to show them off.... and it won't release it.... OMG the Pain!!

chanke4252
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
stretch

usmcab35
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 11:28 AM
its heat cramps, happens when you dont drink enough water, i used to get them when i was in the marines, if you work out or something stretch good and drink a ton of water and wont happen again.

Wrider
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah same happened to me, +1 on the drinking water.

Tylar
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 12:03 PM
+1 on the dehydration, but i had also always been told to eat a banana a day to increase potassium: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/nighttime-leg-cramps-topic-overview

:)

Dizzy D
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
you drinking enough water? my lady used to have the same prob, she points her toes when she dreams (dunno why) but she doesnt drink enough water, hense the cramp

This is exactly correct. Being recently pregnant, (these muscle cramps are a side effect of being pregnant) I asked the DR. why I get those in the middle of the night. The DR. said it is dehydration and not to stretch your muscles in your legs (for me it was pointing my toes also).

Drink a ton more water and do not stretch your muscles while you are sleeping. It will go away. It did for me.

usmcab35
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM
+1 on the bananna, potassium helps reduce muscle soreness, and small amounts of salt help retain water to feed ur muscles

Cat118!
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
thanks ya'all
I am terrible about drinking water....... like beyond.... never thought it would cause that so I will definatly drink more and eat bananas.

DevilsTonic
Sat Sep 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.sleepeducation.com/Disorder.aspx?id=23

Tylar
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
thanks ya'all
I am terrible about drinking water....... like beyond.... never thought it would cause that so I will definatly drink more and eat bananas.

When i used to get them regularly, I was drinking tons of water, and it was all due to vigorous excercise. It was the bananas and stretching before bed that worked for me.

Pharmgirl
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 10:02 AM
You can also try taking magnesium oxide, which helps relax muscles. Look for MagOx at the grocery/drug store.

The Black Knight
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM
It hasn't happened for a long time.... but I had a few times that in the middle of the night I wake up in pain from a sudden muscle cramp.... in my calf.
It does a hard flex..... and wont release the contraction.... it hurts alot!!!

Last night same thing except both calves.... I was slap/tapping them to get them to unflex and wasn't working..... I have have no clue way it happens.... Last several seconds and now my calves are sore this morning like I worked them out.

Any ideas?
Along with everyone else here recommended "drinking lots of water". I'd also recommend taking some protein and/or mixing in a glutamine drink as well. It Protein and gluto will help you're muscles recover faster and aid in the repair.

But if you're really doing strenuous work-outs, nothing beats water or a drink with added electrolytes.

Also are you taking a good multi-vitamin?? Muscles can also cramp from low nutrients in them.

sprtbkbabe
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 06:08 PM
+1,000

I get them alot Cat. Sometimes in my foot, too, and they happen when I've ridden a bicycle alot, been on the scooter for hours without stretching while riding, etc... always when I haven't been good about Potassium and water intake.

You can be preventative and be sure to drink more water everyday. But, I already drink tons and have to say that may help you more if you already don't drink enough. So, I remember to eat at least a banana every other day, if not everyday. Potatoes are great sources of Potassium, too.

When they happen, hop over to a tub and soak your leg under warm, nearly hot water. It'll relax the muscles.

Reyven
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
agreed with what everyone has said so far. it's really just the ion imbalance in the muscle. the Na to K ratio is off, sending a signal to the muscle to contract bc the threshold for contraction has been reached. by keeping the potassium in check you can avoid that scenario. Water, balanced nutrients, stretching, should take care of it. Good luck!

Cat118!
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone!! Will take all advice