PDA

View Full Version : Studying tips

Tipys
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hey anyone have any good studying tips?

Having been out of school for 2 years now I am having even more trouble trying to study now. Because well I never studied before I just winged it. But now being in an A,B, Fail class I know I need to study because I do not want to have to take it again.

So anyone got any good tips?

D Berns R6
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 03:11 PM
it all depends on how you learn, do you know what kind you are? visual, auditory, and kinesthetic. After you know, it's a lot easier to figure out how your going to study...

Cap'n Crunch
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Get a good spiral notebook and take general notes while you are reading the textbooks. You'll be suprised how much more info you retain if you write down the important info. Then, before the test, review your notes - this will help you recall the info your read days or weeks before...

Ninja2
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I agree with D Berns R6:
1. Determine the type of learner you are, incl. what time(s) of the day you learn best.
2. What is your goal? Long term retention with solid understanding or learn and flush for an exam because you know you'll never need it again? If the first, follow 3-5. If the latter, flashcards with simple Q&As may be sufficient.
3. What helps me is to do outlines for each class. In class, most students use a laptop. I did that for one semester and it did not work for me - I'm old school. So what I do is take all my handwritten notes and create an outline.
4. If you're good with a laptop, won't surf during class, and can take notes while listening, it's better to use one.
5. As to the outline, start as early as you can, so you don't sit there the last few days before an exam. The outline allows you to recap the entire class while helping you to connect the different topics and making sure you have a good understanding.

An outline basically consolidates your entire class into headers with few details. I tried to post one, but it takes away the formatting. If you give me your e-mail address I can send you an example.

Maybe also consider a study group. If your grades are curved this adds a different dimension.

LambeauXLIV
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Where are you trying to study? Going to the library or someplace you know you won't be distracted always helps.

Tipys
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks all so far.

I am a kinesthetic type learner. Which is great for the skills part of my class. Sucks for the written. I am also better at studying/homework during the evening hours.

Really like the taking notes while reading think that is going to help alot.

Lambeau that could be a big part of my problem I am trying to study while at home. TV, Laptop, internet, family is all around me.

LambeauXLIV
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah...right now I'm browsing the CSC instead of doing homework :lol:

Tipys
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah...right now I'm browsing the CSC instead of doing homework :lol:

Thats what got me today. In turn why I posted this. Figured I could say I got something productive-ish done.

LambeauXLIV
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I'm kinda taking a break...transitioning from programming in java :up: to writing a stupid paper for composition :down:

Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM
cases of beer always got us good and ready for finals... that and waiting to read the material the day before (or day of) the test.

thatmofo
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 12:19 AM
1. Read what's going to be presented before the class and have all of your questions ready in case they are not covered in the lecture
2. Take notes on a laptop in the form that works best for you. It is so much easier to duplicate and moves notes around than doing it by hand. If you have the money get one of those cool tablets.
3. Buy a good recorder and take it to class. Sit within the recorders range. You don't have to listen to the entire recording, but it helps fill in the gaps you missed while you were taking notes.
4. Study where the least amount of distractions are present

sag
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM
make a few friends in the class, just enough to be comfy talking back and forth about the class. do not sit with them

= Buckeye Jess =
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 01:59 AM
T - for your class, flashcards are a HUGE help for the crap you need to know and cannot apply physically. Particularly with all of the latin based terminology. I cannot even begin to tell you how many piles of index cards I went through in all of those classes...

Ninja2
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM
TV, Laptop, internet, family is all around me.

Go to the public library. Take your laptop, and leave the rest at home.
Try not to surf CSC. I know it's hard, I do the same when instead I should be doing something else. But it's so much more fun.

Matty
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 07:38 AM
cliff notes, ftw!!!!

Ninja2
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM
cliff notes

Matty, what are cliff notes?

Sean
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 07:58 AM
+1 with some of what Ninja said. Here's a couple of things that work for me (it may be different for you)

1. The laptop issue, it's tough. As we all know, I'm a csc whore. If I have to use a laptop I shut internet programs and turn off the wifi. Yes, I still cheat...but less. If I can avoid using the computer, I will. Let's be honest, there's nothing on CSC you'll miss.

2. Find a place with few distractions. I like the library better than home. If I'm at home I can find to many things to occupy my time. Coffee shops don't work for me. Alot of time I even go as far as wearing a hoodie so as to not get visually distracted.

3. I also like sound. On I tunes there are some Ambient radio stations. Being a musician I tune into music pretty quickly and ambient sounds help me focus more on what I'm doing and less on the songs.

4. Outlines and flashcards. Everytime I need to really understand an paper/book/chapter, I outline what its purpose is. I usually read things at least twice all the way through. Flashcards are great for just memorizing things.

5. Try to be interested in what you are doing. If you think it's a waste of time, it will be for you. How you approach things can be very important.

Good luck Trevor! :up: