PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say hi!

FALCONSEYE
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I took the MSF's basic rider course over the weekend. I got to ride very first time ever. Over the last couple days, I already put 40 miles on the bike. I have a ton of things to learn but if anybody wants to ride with a noob, please let me know. It will be good practice for me. Btw, i won't be able to ride on i25 or any other busy roads.

Sully
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
:applause: Congrats! You're off to a great start... MSF course AND Gear! :)

Devaclis
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Oh, hai!

Congrats on the course. Good way to start, IMO.

I really like that Ninja too. Go have some fun :)

Tylar
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM
+1 on gear from the giddy-up.

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Sharp bike & clean gear! Keep 'em both shiny side up!

Good job with the course, now just expand your comfort zone & get as much riding in before the weather changes. Cold tires are already starting to become a factor in early morning commutes!

Devaclis
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I have knobbies that might fit that if you want to ride this winter.

FALCONSEYE
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM
The course was great. Thanks to everybody. I will most likely not ride in bad weather.

asp_125
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
The course was great. Thanks to everybody. I will most likely not ride in bad weather.

Think about adding some riding pants (either leather/textile or riding jeans or carhartts); regular jeans shread in about 4ft in a slide. Frame sliders too.

Good first bike, learn to ride it well and it will make the transition to faster bikes easy. 'Grats on gear and MSF, good way to start.

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 09:37 AM
You may not want to ride in bad weather, but if you keep riding, you'll end up in it eventually. If you've got a chance to learn to ride in bad weather in a controlled environment (i.e. down to the store & back) it might not be an altogether bad idea to acquaint yourself with it and how the bike handles differently.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I never wanted to ride in bad weather when I first started. However, the first night I took my bike from my buddies place (where I was keeping it while I learned) it started to pour down on me. I realized its not that bad. Now I will ride in just about anything.

Heater
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Congrats on coming to the Dark Side!!! Everyone here is really helpful and great for getting tips and pointers. I think it's awesome that you know your limitations and aren't going to push yourself too hard yet. Don't loose that!! That's how people get hurt. Save the pushing yourself for a trackday, not on the streets :)

FALCONSEYE
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
asp_125, I am looking for some riding pants but couldn't find one yet. I will have to google a bit more.

MetaLord9, you are right. I was thinking about riding to work this morning. I rode yesterday taking side roads in almost no traffic just to see. It took me 22 mins vs. 7 to 12mins in my car driving on I25. It's kind of funny that I came to realize the cracks, pot holes on the road that I have never seen before. When I checked the weather this morning, I read chances of thunderstorms so I decided not to ride. I might need to ride in my neighborhood just to test braking, and turning before riding on roads where the speed limit is 40 mph.

Another thing, I had to wait at a traffic light on E. Tuffts Ave and S. Ulster Street for almost 6 mins. While I was at the course, the instructor mentioned how the automated traffic lights sometimes fail to recognize the presence of a motorcycle. (something to do with smaller motorcycle not completing the electromagnetic circuit). Anyway, finally some cab stopped by me and the light turn into green. What do you do? Do I have to take another route, hope somebody will stop by me or do something else?

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Personally, I'll just wait about 5-10 mins or for two light cycles to go without a green and then check both ways before just going through the light. If it's a faulty traffic signal and you get pulled over you can reasonably explain to an officer that you gave the light ample opportunity to change and that you ensure your own safety when proceeding with caution.

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM
If you can see the sensor bars on top of the pavement, stop directly on top of one of those. I usually rock the bike back n for with some light clutch if its one of the more bastardsome lights... usually don't get caught at lights

Sean
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Another thing, I had to wait at a traffic light on E. Tuffts Ave and S. Ulster Street for almost 6 mins. While I was at the course, the instructor mentioned how the automated traffic lights sometimes fail to recognize the presence of a motorcycle. (something to do with smaller motorcycle not completing the electromagnetic circuit). Anyway, finally some cab stopped by me and the light turn into green. What do you do? Do I have to take another route, hope somebody will stop by me or do something else?I bounce up and down on my seat a little. That way it triggers the weight sensor. Other people have even suggested takaing it out of gear, putting the kickstand down and going and pushing the button by yourself. It's never come to that for me though. Good luck and welcome to happiness. :up:

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
There's a lot of voodoo witchcraft old wives tales type of solutions to the "how do I get the light to change when I'm on a motorcycle" question, but sometimes, ya just gotta run it.

Sean
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM
There's a lot of voodoo witchcraft old wives tales type of solutions to the "how do I get the light to change when I'm on a motorcycle" question, but sometimes, ya just gotta run it.That's illegal! I would never do anything that might break any sort of traffic violation. You're a bad person. :no:

Devaclis
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I run that light ALL the time. If I wait for 5 minutes and it does not turn green, I treat it like a stop sign.

Where do you commute from and what time?

I leave Highlands ranch between 6:30 and 7 each morning and go right by that light to DTC blvd :)

asp_125, I am looking for some riding pants but couldn't find one yet. I will have to google a bit more.

MetaLord9, you are right. I was thinking about riding to work this morning. I rode yesterday taking side roads in almost no traffic just to see. It took me 22 mins vs. 7 to 12mins in my car driving on I25. It's kind of funny that I came to realize the cracks, pot holes on the road that I have never seen before. When I checked the weather this morning, I read chances of thunderstorms so I decided not to ride. I might need to ride in my neighborhood just to test braking, and turning before riding on roads where the speed limit is 40 mph.

Another thing, I had to wait at a traffic light on E. Tuffts Ave and S. Ulster Street for almost 6 mins. While I was at the course, the instructor mentioned how the automated traffic lights sometimes fail to recognize the presence of a motorcycle. (something to do with smaller motorcycle not completing the electromagnetic circuit). Anyway, finally some cab stopped by me and the light turn into green. What do you do? Do I have to take another route, hope somebody will stop by me or do something else?

Matty
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Another thing, I had to wait at a traffic light on E. Tuffts Ave and S. Ulster Street for almost 6 mins.
i live 2 minutes from there.

asp_125
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
i live 2 minutes from there.

I work right there.

MikeG
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM
With the bike in the sensor area, I just put it in neutral and drop the sidestand down lean the bike over several times to let it contact the surface and it usually works

FALCONSEYE
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks, I will try these next time minus the red light running.
Devaclis (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=1044), asp_125 and (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=651)Matty. (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=3071)
I work at the building right across from Hyatt Regency ( 4643 South Ulster Street) and live by i25 and Colorado.
I am typically in by 07:00~07:30 and out by 15:00~16:00. I guess it depends on if I have last min requests.
One of these days, maybe we can meet for lunch or grab a diet coke at baker street after work.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Diet coke is for Kawi....wait

asp_125
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Devaclis (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=1044), asp_125 and (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=651)Matty. (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=3071)
I work at the building right across from Hyatt Regency ( 4643 South Ulster Street) and live by i25 and Colorado.
I am typically in by 07:00~07:30 and out by 15:00~16:00. I guess it depends on if I have last min requests.
One of these days, maybe we can meet for lunch or grab a diet coke at baker street after work.

Well howdy neighbor!! 4582 South Ulster.

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Ha, I probably pass you on the road then! I'm off of Yale & 25 (used to be colorado & 25) and I'm usually at work in the ranch by 7 am or so.

= Buckeye Jess =
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Just keep an eye on the boards while at work if you are able. People around here often post last minute lunches in the DTC.
And congrats on the progression!!!!

asp_125
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Just keep an eye on the boards while at work if you are able. People around here often post last minute lunches in the DTC.
And congrats on the progression!!!!

Like tomorrow?!! I'll start a new thread.

THoward
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Drop an email on this page. They'll get you where you need to be. There are a lot of issues with the signal lights. Not all even work with a heavy cruiser sitting there. I refer everyone to this page, if we keep complaining, maybe we will get them fixed.

http://www.dot.state.co.us/contacts/form.htm

FALCONSEYE
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Drop an email on this page. They'll get you where you need to be. There are a lot of issues with the signal lights. Not all even work with a heavy cruiser sitting there. I refer everyone to this page, if we keep complaining, maybe we will get them fixed.

http://www.dot.state.co.us/contacts/form.htm

Just filled out the form. BTW, I was at your basic rider course at Red Rocks Community College last weekend. Great job!

bulldog
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
:applause: Congrats! You're off to a great start... MSF course AND Gear! :) Why are leather pants/textile not considered gear? I see so many people just wearing jeans and pavement will eat through those in a heartbeat. Proper gear should consist of the right pants and boots. He is off to the right start, but thought I would throw that advice in :)

Sully
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Of course he would need pants, but I was happy to see that he had most of it (can't see his foot wear). I'm not a gear nazi. It's your road rash :alien:

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Why are leather pants/textile not considered gear? I see so many people just wearing jeans and pavement will eat through those in a heartbeat. Proper gear should consist of the right pants and boots. He is off to the right start, but thought I would throw that advice in :)

They are. Took me a minute to get the full getup, and that was really just to do trackdays. Of course I wear the 2pc if I'm hitting the canyons up now, but I'll throw on Jeans 'n' steel toes if I'm just heading around town.

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I was thinking about riding to work this morning. I rode yesterday taking side roads in almost no traffic just to see. It took me 22 mins vs. 7 to 12mins in my car driving on I25. It's kind of funny that I came to realize the cracks, pot holes on the road that I have never seen before. When I checked the weather this morning, I read chances of thunderstorms so I decided not to ride. I might need to ride in my neighborhood just to test braking, and turning before riding on roads where the speed limit is 40 mph.
Other thing, pretty much the entire summer in Denver is a 20%-80% chance of rain, so get'n used to it when you can be comfortable beats get'n stuck in it & having no other option!

asp_125
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Other thing, pretty much the entire summer in Denver is a 20%-80% chance of rain, so get'n used to it when you can be comfortable beats get'n stuck in it & having no other option!

given our usual weather patterns, I can pretty much count on being dry riding to work in the morning, and if I get soaked going home, it doesn't matter. FWIW a $10 Walmart rain suit in a backpack is all i need to carry.

TheStig
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Good looking bike! Congrats! Keep at her!

Aphrodite
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Go to Home-Depot and in there screw Isle they sell magnets get a nice big flat one and epoxy it into your lower fairing, works for me, never had an issue at lights, but the draw back you gotta be careful when washing that area cause you will pick up metal shavings in that area.

GhettoChild
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Ha, I probably pass you on the road then! I'm off of Yale & 25 (used to be colorado & 25) and I'm usually at work in the ranch by 7 am or so.

Lol same. Falc if your looking for someone to ride with hollar at me. Been riding for about a year and a half but will be glad to ride with you around the block or w/e your comfortable with.

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Falcon,

If you'd like to hit the canyons for an hour or two, I'd be happy to take you out with a very relaxed pace and no expectations.

FALCONSEYE
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Falcon,

If you'd like to hit the canyons for an hour or two, I'd be happy to take you out with a very relaxed pace and no expectations.

Yeah, that's like level 7. I am at level 2. Maybe, next year..

Devaclis
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
He's just trying to get in your chihuahua.

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah, that's like level 7. I am at level 2. Maybe, next year..
Maybe you could borrow Devaclis' epic mount?

Seriously though, ride your own pace but don't be afraid to push yourself out of your comfort zone sometimes!

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Ya know Falcon.....83 is a great road to just build your confidence up on - particularly once you get south of Parker. It's a pretty road with the occasional curves and minimal traffic (especially during the week). I rode there all of the time when I was just starting back up from my wreck.

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
105 down to monument.

Zach929rr
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
He's just trying to get in your chihuahua.

From what I heard, you are trying to get in your chihuahua, and out, and in, and out, and in.

Falcon, you can turn your bike, can't you? :) Riding a quick canyon at the speed limit or under would teach you a lot. Holler at me when you feel ready.

Sean
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah, that's like level 7. I am at level 2. Maybe, next year..You can do it. When I was trying to learn how to ride a canyon (which I'm still trying), I would go out when there is little to no traffic. Saturday and Sunday mornings are great around 6-9am. No traffic and you can go under the speed limit. Most of the people on here are really helpful if they know you are starting out. Don't be shy about going out with someone for a quick ride. :up: