PDA

View Full Version : E-470

Pandora-11
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I hadn't been to DIA in a while...but I went recently to take my kids to the airport. I must be out of the loop because the normal toll booths were gone and signs about Express mailings had taken their places. I'm not sure how long that's been there.
I just got a bill in the mail for the tolls. $32.00!! Just to drive down E-470 for a single trip to the airport. You've got to be kidding me.!?

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Yeah its NASTY. I live off Jewell and E-470. So I get tagged all the time. Its totally crap. You dont realize how fast it adds up. And it always seems like they keep raising the price and screwing the people that live over there.

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
How did you get pegged for $32? I drove that stretch from I-25 to Smoky Hill 4 times (out there, back, out there, back) for the last Pueblo day and only got billed $16 :shocked:

Pandora-11
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM
How did you get pegged for $32? I drove that stretch from I-25 to Smoky Hill 4 times (out there, back, out there, back) for the last Pueblo day and only got billed $16 :shocked:

I have no idea! The return trip isn't even on there yet. Will that be another $32?

~Barn~
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
That actually doesn't sound right.

According to the toll calculator at www.e-470.com (http://www.e-470.com), the toll from the Southernmost entrance of 470 (I-25), out to the Pena Blvd. exit, should cost $7.25 for a Non Xpress-toll customer. The return trip, of course, is the same $7.25.

Your trip (assuming this was how you got there and back), should have cost you $14.50. Then again that $32 bill you just received, may have included other trips on completely different days, that they are just now collecting for. (?)

Sully
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
You get charged more if you don't have the Toll Pass, but $32? That's INSANE! You may want to double check that route through their website map.

Pandora-11
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Come to think of it....I did exit to hit up the Chick-Fil-A. Would that add that much more?

Mel
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 09:45 AM
yeah, that's a lil high....

Zach929rr
I think its $1 or $2 to exit. Fucking ridiculous.

Nick_Ninja
I got snagged by the photo-Nazi in the HOV lane northbound I-25 from Denver. Got the bill in the mail. $72.00

When I read the fine print it turned out to be $.50 ----- but I had to give them a credit card number over the phone to pay the fine. Fuckers. :321:

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
^^Wait, your bill was $0.50 but they put $72 on there???

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
^^Wait, your bill was $0.50 but they put $72 on there???

It was billed @ $72.00. If I didn't pay by said date that's what the fine would have been. Further down the document in REALLY TINY PRINT it stated that if I either called them up or mailed it in it was $.50. Bullshit. :down:

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Its all about "da man" trying to get its money. I heard from a few people that E-470 was only supposed to be a toll until the construction was paid for. That was like 5 years ago. Apparently CDOT likes the revenue and screwing people over that live over there.

salsashark
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Its all about "da man" trying to get its money. I heard from a few people that E-470 was only supposed to be a toll until the construction was paid for. That was like 5 years ago. Apparently CDOT likes the revenue and screwing people over that live over there.

470's been a scam since construction. Living in Douglas County, we had the pleasure of paying increased registration fees to help pay for construction as well as tolls...

On the other hand, it's kind of like calling the lottery a tax... it's entirely voluntary and if you don't want to pay, you don't have to use it. Problem solved...

64BonnieLass
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM
So I'm guessing they got rid of the booths to save on hourly wages.

Now, they can beef up their customer service hotline with some paid folks. I hope people light those phones up like the fourth of July.

I have been up and down that road several times and have yet to receive a bill. But when I do....:)

Salsa, you make a valid point, however to charge more then they should be, is not right either. I hope people watch their bills, instead of just writing a check.

Shea
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM
It was billed @ $72.00. If I didn't pay by said date that's what the fine would have been. Further down the document in REALLY TINY PRINT it stated that if I either called them up or mailed it in it was $.50. Bullshit. :down:

lol, they charge you .50 and get charged 2.00 cc processing fee...you're awesome Jeff. :)

Filo
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM

CDOT does not own the road or get revenue from it. It is owned/run by the E-470 Public Highway Authority. According to Wikipedia, it is owned by a bunch of cities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-470), but I remember it being controlled at one point by a European company. Either way, it is not a state road.

As for the toll Pandora - it seems high. They should have given you a break down of the toll hits. They have a $7 fee if you fail to pay on time. It goes to $70 after the 2nd notice. It was just in the news today http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_13306744?source=rss

TheStig
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM
That amount seems really high, I think each booth is 2.50 without a tag and their are what 6 total if you go the entire length of 470, plus one exit at $1 each way. Thats only $17. I'd call them.

On a side note on them, when I got my speedy I took the 60 day tag off and put my old plate from my sv650 on there (I know Im not supposed too). I got a bill from 470 for $4.50 for improper registration...

asp_125
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM
It sounds high. Even without a transponder it should only be about $16 one-way for a two axle vehicle. Trailers get screwed, towing a dual axle trailer is a bitch.

salsashark
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Salsa, you make a valid point, however to charge more then they should be, is not right either. I hope people watch their bills, instead of just writing a check.

I couldn't agree more... my comment was more addressing the complaints about tolls in general, not the underhanded approach at boosting profits.

Pandora-11
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 11:24 AM
CDOT does not own the road or get revenue from it. It is owned/run by the E-470 Public Highway Authority. According to Wikipedia, it is owned by a bunch of cities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-470), but I remember it being controlled at one point by a European company. Either way, it is not a state road.

As for the toll Pandora - it seems high. They should have given you a break down of the toll hits. They have a $7 fee if you fail to pay on time. It goes to $70 after the 2nd notice. It was just in the news today http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_13306744?source=rss

It is broken down. A whole bunch of $2.50s.

asp_125
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Wow.. I need to check my e-statement. I have a transponder but have been lax about checking the credit card charges.

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM
You were right Salsa - about the time we went through there. Gonna have to stick to that road on the bike!

Pandora-11
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 12:34 PM
It sounds high. Even without a transponder it should only be about $16 one-way for a two axle vehicle. Trailers get screwed, towing a dual axle trailer is a bitch.
Well....if it's $16 for each way, then that would account for the $32 bill. It costs $32 to take my kids to the airport?

Geeeeez. I've got to learn the other route to DIA. Coming up from the Springs though.........E470 would be nicer. I'm not paying $32 each time I go to DIA.:banghead::scream1::cry::shocked:

salsashark
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
You were right Salsa - about the time we went through there. Gonna have to stick to that road on the bike!

I'm tellin ya... maybe one out of three times on the bike... stick to the paint! :devious:

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
If you time it right, it's just as easy to shoot up 25 and jump on 225 and go over Karen...

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'm tellin ya... maybe one out of three times on the bike... stick to the paint! :devious:
LOL...for sure! I was hugging that line but I think your Dad was more toward the middle tho...

asp_125
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Well....if it's $16 for each way, then that would account for the $32 bill. It costs $32 to take my kids to the airport?

Geeeeez. I've got to learn the other route to DIA. Coming up from the Springs though.........E470 would be nicer. I'm not paying $32 each time I go to DIA.:banghead::scream1::cry::shocked:

No, wait.. that was for the entire length, according to the E470 toll calculator. www.E-470.com (http://www.E-470.com)

From I-25S to Pena the trip should only be $14.50 round trip

Gainer
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I know I-25 to Jordan Rd. is $2.25 each way. I think that is pretty steep for such a short distance. It is not worth it to me for the small amount of time savings, so I just take Lincoln.

I would not pay the $32.00 either. You're better off just going up I-25 to I-225 north to I-70 east to Pena Blvd.

Pandora-11
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I know I-25 to Jordan Rd. is $2.25 each way. I think that is pretty steep for such a short distance. It is not worth it to me for the small amount of time savings, so I just take Lincoln.

I would not pay the $32.00 either. You're better off just going up I-25 to I-225 north to I-70 east to Pena Blvd.

There are no $2.25s on the bill. Just a bunch of $2.50s for each little section......and there are a lot of them. hummmmmm
I'm going to look at this again closely when I get home. All the dates are the same and there can't be that many sections...can there?

salsashark
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
There are no $2.25s on the bill. Just a bunch of $2.50s for each little section......and there are a lot of them. hummmmmm
I'm going to look at this again closely when I get home. All the dates are the same and there can't be that many sections...can there?

Do you have an express pass? If not, the tolls are higher. This may be the .25 difference.

Zoom
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I refuse to take E-470. Just flat out refuse. If I have to go to the airport, I'll eat the extra time and just go I-25 to 225 to Pena.

I will never again complain about the toll road between Topeka and KC. It's a fairly long stretch and it only costs $2.15.

salsashark
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I will never again complain about the toll road between Topeka and KC. It's a fairly long stretch and it only costs $2.15.

I'd complain! :cussing:

But that's just because it means I'm in Kansas... :cry:

Gainer
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Just think.... 2039 is just around the corner and then we won't have to pay the tolls any more.

Sully
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
My time is soooo worth paying the toll !

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Using the provided E-470 toll calculator, from I-25 south to Pena Blvd. should be $7.25 one-way for a two axle vehicle.

http://www.e-470.com/Default.aspx?pn=TollCalculator

Here is their website:

http://www.e-470.com/Default.aspx?pn=Home

UglykidJoe
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
My time is soooo worth paying the toll !
+1 :up:

Devaclis
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Just borrow a "friends" vehicle when you need to run on E-470.

Problem delegated.

Sully
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Or bike... :lol:

Devaclis
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM
You ride? But you are a girl?

Wait, do you vote too?

Midget Hellion
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Side mounted plate FTW!

Is it all tolls on the bill or do you see any fines/fees?

If you call them and sign up for an EZ pay, they reduce it for you. I think it is a joke also, I only take it when I go out to HEB to visit my grandmother.

Sully
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Who me? No, I don't ride, nor own a bike... but my boyfriend does... is that ok?

Canuck
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I don't understand why a Republican Capitalist like yourself would complain about paying this toll. How else do you expect the public to repay for the Privately held (and raised) loans on this project.
Oh, and to the two-tiered consortium of private companies that maintain this road. Who, I might add are foreign companies.
Isn't that a model for the platform that you blab about on these forums?

Devaclis
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Whew, you had me thinking that the modern world was falling apart.

Canuck
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM
And yes I do agree that road and it's fees are out of control. And I hail from NY, so I know all about toll roads.

Sully
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I don't understand why a Republican Capitalist like yourself would complain about paying this toll. How else do you expect the public to repay for the Privately held (and raised) loans on this project.
Oh, and to the two-tiered consortium of private companies that maintain this road. Who, I might add are foreign companies.

Hey... shouldn't you be packing or something !!!?? :lol: :cheers:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hey... shouldn't you be packing or something !!!?? :lol: :cheers:

Why? Is the CAN-MAN getting the boot from the good 'ol USofA? :D

TFOGGuys
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Absolutely: Pay for the convenience, or not. If the tolls are high enough, and enough people decide not to use it, the consortium will collapse....

Or, as with most public-private cooperatives, the .gov will bail them out at our expense.....:banghead:

Canuck
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
My bachelor party in Vegas. You two can tag on to the entourage :up:

Canuck
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Yes, Sully I'm packed an ready to take off work in 11 min.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Remember, what happens in Vegas, stays in your butt.

Sully
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm hiding in yer luggage!!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I'm hiding in yer luggage!!

i can see it nao. CAN-MAN's luggage ends up in Mobile Alabama. :lol:

Sully
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM
holy shit.. noooo!!! :bigeyes:.... Not Alabama... no wait.. there are hot men there... :devious: .... Right ????

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 03:31 PM
holy shit.. noooo!!! :bigeyes:.... Not Alabama... no wait.. there are hot men there... :devious: .... Right ????

Yeppers! Hawt Twins 4 U!!!

http://hoox.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/hillbilly.jpg

Horsman
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM
And yes I do agree that road and it's fees are out of control. And I hail from NY, so I know all about toll roads.

My family lives in Herdon/Dulles Airport/North Virginia - they have toll roads all over the place (that state will never go broke). We play this game - drive as fast as we can and get the coins in the bucket before the toll booth alarms go off!!!! After all of these years, I should be good enough for the NBA... :)

sloridr
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ride paint= no mail:):alien:

Pandora-11
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM

no

Pandora-11
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Absolutely: Pay for the convenience, or not. If the tolls are high enough, and enough people decide not to use it, the consortium will collapse....

Or, as with most public-private cooperatives, the .gov will bail them out at our expense.....:banghead:

+1
Yes....you just heard me say that I will take another route. They can get the money from those willing to pay for this convenience.
I have no problem with them charging whatever they want to charge.....the competition of other routes will eventually make it an empty road as they won't earn enough money to maintain their pretty little cameras and as TFOG says...."They'll collapse."
My post was expressing surprise at the amount compared to the previous amount and the surprise I had at not seeing the toll booths. I don't read the Denver Compost so....."Surprise".
I am sure that Canada would find a much better way to accomplish this and Canadians would never stoop to complain about it. :crazy:

d3spair
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be skipping it on airport trips now too.

Aphrodite
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I went down E-470 about a month ago and still not gotten a bill I can only assume that due to my confusion I almost came to a stop on the plate reading part and it didn't take a picture of my plate dunno?.......I had change and all that ready I heard they were going to do it never heard that they actually did it. If I get a bill I'll post how much cause I went from Parker Road to I-25 and like I say still nothing but I also haven't gotten my registration renewal yet either so I hope the system is not being stupid somehow.

neh
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
470's been a scam since construction. Living in Douglas County, we had the pleasure of paying increased registration fees to help pay for construction as well as tolls...

On the other hand, it's kind of like calling the lottery a tax... it's entirely voluntary and if you don't want to pay, you don't have to use it. Problem solved...

For those who live east of I-25, how much is the e-470 registration fee? And how long do you have to pay it?

salsashark
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 07:38 AM
^^ I moved out of Douglas County over ten years ago so I don't really remember. IIRC, it was like an additional 25 or 35 bucks on plate registration.

On the upside, when they first opened 470 from Parker Rd to I-25, no one was ever on it so we used to use it as our own private autobahn. Had a lot of fun in my 66 mustang in the middle of the night.

Hibs
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I just moved to the area, took 470 a few times. Just got my bill in the mail, $32. What can they do if you don't pay? Just curious.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Wow! I USED to use the toll road to go to DIA when I had money enough to go visit my kids. Since that's no longer the case (been 4 years now) I don't use that road. I remember it used to be a TON less than that. At those gouging prices, screw 'em, I'll drive the free roads.

Zach929rr
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Just take 225 to I70.

~Barn~
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I just moved to the area, took 470 a few times. Just got my bill in the mail, $32. What can they do if you don't pay? Just curious.

Pretty sure they won't renew your car registration.

spideyrdr
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Holy zombie thread batman! 21 months since the last post before today! Haha!

I have only taken it once to avoid rush hour traffic on I-225 coming back from the airport. Best $9 I or so that I ever spent. It sounds like that $32 bill was for a couple of trips.

Hibs
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Pretty sure they won't renew your car registration.

How would they have control over that?

My situation is a little different as well. I keep a Nebraska residency, so I have all my vehicles registered in Nebraska, but I'm stationed here on Buckley AFB and live here. So the bill was sent back to my place in Nebraska. Does Colorado really have the authority to keep my Nebraska registration from being renewed? I wouldn't think they would.

Hibs
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I know I've seen people argue about the red light cameras, saying that fines/correspondence via the mail is not valid by law, wouldn't the same thing apply here?

longrider
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I know I've seen people argue about the red light cameras, saying that fines/correspondence via the mail is not valid by law, wouldn't the same thing apply here?

This is different in that a toll is assessed on a vehicle while a red light violation is against the driver. As who is driving is not relevant for a toll the ultimate responsibility is on the vehicle owner

Connman
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 09:36 PM
e-470 will be toll-free in 2039 when the bonds are paid! yeeeeah!

fwiw, I drive it twice every day. It's just a budgeted expense for me, and well worth the money. Does it suck that it's so expensive, sure, but it beats the hell out of driving (or idling) with the rest of the herd on 225 or 70.

fiveninerzero
Sun Jun 26th, 2011, 11:19 PM
http://www.flipplate.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67VIhhpUMZE

Vellos
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM
http://www.flipplate.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67VIhhpUMZE

What a bunch of losers.

Hibs
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Looks like im stuck paying it then. A flipplate might be a worthy investment, lol!

grim
Mon Jun 27th, 2011, 10:12 AM
What a bunch of losers.

How the hell did you find this?