PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 rememberance today...

DavidofColorado
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Bow your heads for a moment of silence.

Don't watch to much TV.

ETA: When the first tower was attacked I was getting ready for work. I was working downtown in the Wells Fargo (Cash Register building). It was surreal to see what had happened and I went to work anyway just to be turned away at the door saying that they weren't letting anyone in the building.

I went home to watch what was happening on the news. Nothing but chaos.

I had to get gas that day hoping the prices would drop a little more before I needed to fill up and the line outside the Conoco was around the block. But there was no gouging there just high demand.

The next day I went to work and it was business as usual. Everyone tried to make it as close to business as usual as possible. But they were still talking of nothing else. They read the Newspapers again and again then passed it on to others just so they could read the story.

I tried to make things as normal as possible but after my next check I had a gas mask and a parachute under my desk. Just in case.

mtnairlover
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Turning at the light on Nelson and Hover in Longmont when the DJ on KBCO said a plane had hit one of the towers in New York made me shake my head in disbelief.

Still makes me cry.

chad23
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Cathy, we were a block away from each other at that moment.

MikeG
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Never Forget...

Think
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Hard to believe it was 8 years ago. I remember sitting in spanish class in middle school and the faculty not letting us watch it, they hardly even told us what was going on.

mtnairlover
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 07:30 AM
My students saw me cry. Makes us all more human....more real.

Cathy, we were a block away from each other at that moment.

Wow...funny how life is.

asp_125
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I heard the first rumors & sketchy reports before leaving the house, then arriving at Level(3) and seeing everyone crowded around the TVs in the cafeteria. Has it already been 8yrs? wow

Matty
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Heard about the first plane crash while in my car. i had just arrived to work in downtown Los Angeles as the second one hit the towers.

About 30 minutes later, emergency vehicles, law enforcement were all around telling everyone to go back home. Making announcements over loud speakers. Crazy shit.

Anyways, my thoughts are with all those that loss someone 8 years ago in this tragic event.

Ninja2
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 08:33 AM
We were stationed in Germany at the time. Was on the phone with co-workers in the CO who were in total disbelief. Could not get any news since all internet news stations were overloaded.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who lost their lives or a loved-one during 9/11, and to all who were injured, have suffered, lost a loved-one, or made the ultimate sacrifice since.

Devaclis
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM
We personally lost a few very wonderful people at the company I worked for who were in town for a 2 hour meeting. Some of their families called our office to see if they were there, maybe missed a flight or something. When we told them no, they should be in NY for the meeting it was like being informed one of MY loved ones was just killed :(

/nowords :(

Nick_Ninja
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM
We need to get over it.

Pandora-11
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I disagree. We need to not get over it. We need to remember and stand vigilant against this type of thing happening again.
That feeling that day was one I had never experienced before or since. Your very sense of security is shaken.
I had sent my kids off to school and was sitting reading the paper in front of the TV. I watched it happen.....stunned like the news people. I didn't move for two days.
My brother-in-law is an American Airlines pilot out of Dallas and we worried.

SaShWhO
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
It's a mad world we live in.
Sad day.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I disagree. We need to not get over it. We need to remember and stand vigilant against this type of thing happening again.
That feeling that day was one I had never experienced before or since. Your very sense of security is shaken.
I had sent my kids off to school and was sitting reading the paper in front of the TV. I watched it happen.....stunned like the news people. I didn't move for two days.
My brother-in-law is an American Airlines pilot out of Dallas and we worried.

I didn't say to discount the event whatsoevah. I'm just sayin that:

a.) we didn't respond in the manner that sent a message (i.e. tactical nuclear attack --- read Tora Bora)

and

b.) Take real action to protect the US citizenry (read the department of Homeland security is a joke).

Pandora-11
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I just like disagreeing with you!http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Nick_Ninja
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I just like disagreeing with you!http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Game ON! :up:

dapper
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 09:43 AM
We need to get over it.
And the search for the one's responsible continues...ironic

I believe they went down with the planes.

#1Townie
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
i had dislocated my knee working for the first contruction company i ever worked for. my dad came into the room and woke me up saying he thought the country was under attack. i was knocked up on pain killers and watched the replay of the seconed plain hit.

8 years? wow!

*OFFICIAL*RID3R*
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM
IN LOVING MEMORY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS!!!

DeeStylez
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
My wife reminded me on 911 day I was dressed like a duck :cry: Couldnt figure out what she was talking about and then she reminded me of my old job I was working that day, yellow hard hat yellow rainsuit King Soopers meat plant Ohhh yea lol.

Well anyway my prayers go out to all that lost loved ones that day.

Mental
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I had just ben eliminated from pilot training and I was working at the Vance AFB Chapel waiting to retrain. I left my house and rode into work. When I got there the first plane had hit and we all thought it was just a crash. We didn't have a TV, so my news was coming from a radio and the internet when the sites weren't crashed from the traffic. For the first time on that base I heard nothing. Not a single jet, it was eriee. We went to a 24 hour schedule to keep the chapel open, I spent some time in there myself. I didn't see any of the footage until 7 that night.

3 weeks later I was in Florida training for my current job. For the next month I watched fully loaded F-16s take off to intercept suspicious aircraft. It drives half the proceedures in my current job, we are never that far from it, 8 years or no.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families, but also with the children that will never grow up in the same America I did.

Snowman
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 12:29 PM
http://rapidferretracing.com/Miscellaneous/Images/2001-09-11_NYC_Space.jpg

Image of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center, as captured by Frank Culbertson the commander of the International Space Station at the time.

His words that day: "Our prayers and thoughts go out to all the people there, and everywhere else."

Raptor
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Woke up to the announcements of the initial attack. Immediately went to the TV and was kind of locked in a surreal state for a while. I wondered if it was some kind of joke. My boss called me and told me to stay home because of the other planes that were still airborne and the uncertainty of more possible targets. Being the military state we are, it seemed enough of a possibility to stay home, out of the public.
The day itself was unbelievable and nothing I had ever felt in the wake of a world event had ever felt like that. Even the following duration (can't remember how long...seemed like a couple weeks) where there was no air traffic, except for the occasional fighter jet formation was surreal. You don't realize how busy the skies are until they're totally silent.

I hope that one day the victims, their families and friends are finally granted peace through justice.

FZ1Guy
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Here is a picture of the West Metro Fire Department. We made them breakfast and donated money for their various programs/causes. Great people there. :applause: The second picture is me on the FZ1 and my new bride Arlene standing next to the firemen.:slap:

salsashark
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Check these out...

Amazing and powerful pics...

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/09/remembering_september_11th.html

cdbouncer
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I was driving to work in small town MN - my best friend called. I thought it was to wish me a happy birthday but nope, it was to tell me to listen to the radio. I never did get a happy birthday that year...or any since.

I went on the road for my job that day - I didn't see a TV or listen to a radio for over a week. By then, the hype was mostly over so I've never actually seen the footage. Guess maybe that's not so bad.

TFOGGuys
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Appropriate song...still makes me tear up

James Taylor - Fire and Rain

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T35WXFOmwI&feature=related) eerily prophetic....."sweet dreams and flying machines, in pieces on the ground"

jplracing
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM
never forget

The Black Knight
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I remember exactly where I was and at what the time was, when I found out. Got a call from my mother telling me that both towers had been hit. Since I was on equipment mowing, my phone was in the truck. We finished up and I looked at my phone and saw all the missed calls. We wrapped up the operations for the day and headed back to the shop. I was speechless, just watching the news.

It's odd, I can still remember that day like it happened yesterday. The looks on everyone's faces you'd come across. The silence in the skies above, except for the fighter jets ripping across the sky.

The thing that got me the most, was watching the coverage of people leaping from the buildings to their doom below. It was so painful watching them and I was so angry. I was angry because for those people, they felt absolute loss of hope(either burn alive or jump to their death). I was angry because some of the news stations showed the reactions in various countries(mainly Arab) and they were burning our Flag and cheering like they were at a football game.

And that's never left me. Sure the intensity of the anger has subsided a bit. Yet I still have it inside. I didn't loose anyone in those towers and I didn't know anyone close to the action. Yet a part of me died, because while I didn't know these people personally. They were still my American brothers and sisters and I'll never forget that. I can honestly say, that was one day in my life that I actually felt suffering. I've dealt with tragic days in my life(loss of loved ones) and that day surely ranks right up there with them.

It is written to forgive someone "unto 70 times 7" and yet that is something that I still cannot come to terms with. It's troubled me since that day and I suppose it will trouble me for many years to come.

:(

PunyJuney
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I was in my office on Park Ave in Manhattan, wondering why such a huge plane just flew by my window. The rest of the day was pretty surreal.
We watched the stream of emergency vehicles flow in to lower Manhattan, heard a guy in our office tell everyone how the towers can not possibly fall as they were designed to withstand a hit from a 707 back in the day. All the while my colleague chatted with her husband online who was sitting in his 'twin tower' office above where the second plane went in. Then the tower fell. We saw news reports that 5 planes were hijacked and thought we were next. The soot in the air made it impossible to know whether the air traffic we heard above was them or ours. We tried to go down to help and there was nobody to save. We went to give blood, and they didn't need any. We walked through the city the following weeks plastered with pictures and home made posters of people looking for their lost loved ones. Every time I see a lost dog picture stuck to a post it reminds me of the ones that were hand drawn by kids looking for their daddy.

I can't imagine what it's like to live in a country where terrorist attacks like this happen regularly and thank each and every service person that protects us from it. :usa:

Jason ON
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I had to go to work early and was sitting there trying to stay awake when the 8 o'clock regular crew came in. My co-worker asked me what was going on, I said nothing. He said something was going on and he turned on the TV we had in the conference room. They sent us home a couple of hours later.

firefghtr
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 08:13 AM
i will be posting a couple photos of the denver stair climb to remember the 343 later today in the photo forum

firefghtr
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
couple photos posted

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I was unemployed in Cleveland at the time, and watched the entire horrific thing unfold on TV from mere minutes after the first plane hit. The local news I was watching suddenly switched to the video feed before they finally got the audio feed going. I SAW the second plane hit the other tower, and then I knew if was the terrorists. I started calling all my family and friends in the US and told them of the attacks. I lived in the flight paths of cleveland airport and was watching how that last plane, flight 93 was unaccounted for and acting erratically and then heard a plane come over obviously NOT on any of the normal approach paths. I ran outside to see the plane flying low, under full throttle, and banked WAY over make a U-turn basically over my house. Then shortly after it crashed into that field in PA.

I tell you, when that was happening if someone would have handed me a box with a button on it like in that old Twilight zone episode and told me I could eliminate the entire middle East buy pushing that button......well, we'd be pumping oil out of a big glass parking lot now. then to see people celebrating in the streets in palestine and other places like that......made me think I'd have pushed the button twice.

We shall NEVER forget. RIP victims, condolences family and friends. you will not be forgotten.