PDA

View Full Version : Lane Positioning

Snowman
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Motorcycle 101: Lane positioning (http://www.examiner.com/x-10846-Baltimore-Motorcycle-Travel-Examiner~y2009m9d4-Motorcycle-101-Lane-positioning)

"

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID10846/images/Lane_Positions.jpg
"there are three general lane positions riders can utilize" (Photo: Jiang). CLICK HERE FOR MORE PHOTOS (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/examinerslideshow.html?entryid=539015)
When most of us learned to drive, we were taught to drive in the center of our lane. That’s because most of us learned to drive in a car. That same rule does not apply to motorcycles.
As rider's, we can, and should, use lane positioning to our benefit. There are three general lane positions rider's can utilize:

left of center
center
right of center
As a rider, your lane position should be fluid and change with the circumstances of the moment. There are many reasons to change your lane positioning, but some of the most common reasons are visibility, maneuverability, lane protection and avoiding hazards.
As discussed in “Being Seen is a Rider’s Responsibility,” (http://www.examiner.com/x-10846-Baltimore-Motorcycle-Travel-Examiner~y2009m6d6-Being-seen-is-a-riders-responsibility) it is up to us, as riders, to ensure that we are seen by other traffic. Lane position plays a big part in how visible you are to other drivers. Use your headlight to your advantage; place the beam where it can be seen by other drivers. Change your lane position to avoid blind spots and to avoid riding beside other traffic when possible.
Imagine a blind T-intersection, ahead on your right. Since you can’t see the intersecting road, you also can’t see traffic that might be turning into your path of travel. If you can’t see them, they can’t see you. What do you do? A generally accepted rule of thumb would be to slow down and adjust your lane positioning. Perhaps move into lane position 1, as it affords you the widest angle to view the approaching intersection and cross-traffic.
Another scenario would be a wooded, two-lane country road that has one lane in each direction. What are the potential hazards?

The woods present the hazard of deer or other wildlife. With no approaching traffic, consider lane position 1; it provides the most room in all directions to maneuver.
Oncoming traffic is another potential hazard. As traffic approaches, consider moving into lane position 2; it affords a space cushion from traffic, yet still allows some distance from the woods to the right.
Rain presents unique challenges regarding lane position. When it first starts raining, avoid lane position 2, it can be slick as a result of oil leaked from car engines. However, the roadway in positions 1 and 3 is often tire-worn, a condition that can cause water to pool. Here, a rider must use good judgment to make the best lane position choice for the conditions.
Potholes, rocks, tree branches, etc also present lane positioning challenges. Rider’s should adjust their lane position to avoid these hazards, while making sure to maintain time and space from the other hazards already mentioned.

The slideshow below shows pictures of various roads. The captions review key details of the lane positioning scenarios these roads present. Click here to view the slideshow. (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/examinerslideshow.html?entryid=539015)"

Nick_Ninja
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I prefer #1 but in the center lane.

Ricky
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
In that exact picture, ALWAYS #3 because it gives drivers in the lane to the right, a more clear view of me in their rear view mirror. But in the center lane on a 3 lane highway, I'm also in #3 because if I'm behind a car, it's more likely that the lane I'm in is going faster than the lane to the right. If I'm in position #1, a car in the lane to the right is more likely to not see me, and move over to get behind the car I'm behind, thus putting me in a dangerous position.

Everything else is based on conditions, and position of other cars. But mostly I'm always riding a dashed white line so that at least 2 lanes of traffic can see me.

Snowman
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 02:32 PM
For me it depends on what I am doing.

When I come to a stop light I go for ether 1 or 3, whichever the vehicle in front of me leaves the most open. This allows for an escape if a vehicle comes up behinds me too fast, and if I do get hit, I’ll have less chance of being pinned between the two vehicles.

Ricky
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I definitely try to never be behind a vehicle when stopped. That's great protection, even if you do get hit from behind, you won't get sandwiched. But then again, being launched into an intersection isn't all that great either.... hmmm....

DorJammer
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM
For me it depends on what I am doing.

When I come to a stop light I go for ether 1 or 3, whichever the vehicle in front of me leaves the most open. This allows for an escape if a vehicle comes up behinds me too fast, and if I do get hit, I’ll have less chance of being pinned between the two vehicles.

I was hit from behind at a stop light back in the eighties, threw me over the car in front of me (which saved my life) Bike was crushed between the drunk behind me and the car that was formally in front of me.

I still believe it was the clip-ons that saved me. As they didn't catch my legs as I was propelled forward by the impact.

No helmet, no shirt, just sunglasses

Was back at work the next day

Aphrodite
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Left lane cruisers on I25 aggravate me especially during rush hour then they decide to - while chatting on the damn phone - last minute cross 3 lanes to exit to their destination almost been sandwiched being in the middle lane from the ones getting on v/s the ones wanting to do the last minute get off, I prefer to either be in the extreme left lane or the extreme right lane as of now. But avoid I25 during rush hour especially and stick to the surface streets even if it is stop and go more.

The heavy traffic forces you to be in so many blind spots so often I hate being it in.

AnarchoFuturist
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I think I'd probably go with #1. My thinking would be that in the left position I would have a little more time to swerve out of the way if someone decided to drift over into my lane. However, if there were no place to escape I may be screwed. Only time I will use the center position is when it is really windy.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
#1 = 250,000 miles on two wheels in 35 years it aint whacked me yet.

Gainer
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 10:55 PM
#1 = 250,000 miles on two wheels in 35 years it aint whacked me yet.

I got a couple of Elephants that tell me that you pick one, two, and three. Elephants never forget.

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM
3 in the left lane, 2 in the middle, & 1 in the right. Staying close to the line gives me an out either straight ahead or immediately to the outside and I can stay in someone's rearview mirror longer the closer I am to the side of the car

Snowman
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 07:46 AM
#1 = 250,000 miles on two wheels in 35 years it aint whacked me yet.That is a debatable point…

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 08:54 AM
That is a debatable point…

No worries. I'm in a twelve step program so back off :D

Snowman
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM
No worries. I'm in a twelve pack program so back off :DFixed...

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Fixed...

That cuts deep Randall.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Ok, so I'm resurrecting the lane positioning thread because I want to hear what strategies you guys use for lane protection.

Specifically, heavy traffic and double turns.

This AM I had to go downtown and got stuck in bumper to bumper on federal. Twice, these stupid fucks nearly changed lanes right into me. I had to honk and kick the door of the the second dumb asshole to get him to stop coming.

Yesterday, for the ump-wait-for-it-teenth time... Some stupid bitch on her cell turned from the outside double turn, across the inside lane and back to the outside. If not for some creative brake & swerve work on my part...

Just looking for more strategies to have at my disposal.
A

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
http://www.enemyforces.net/firearms/glock17_3.jpg

ghostrider_9
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Ok, get ready for a long post . . . you've been warned!

As most of you know, I teach the MSF courses. Because of this, I get to talk about this frequently and have heard many different schools of thought. This discussion is one that can go on for a very long time. You will find that many people have strong ideas about why they ride where they ride and some cannot explain their choice of lane position at all. "It's just where I ride."

Your position in a lane can do several things like increase your probability of being seen, communicate your intentions, increase your space cushion and provide a safer place to ride. The bottom line is that your position within a lane should be fluid. It should change depending upon the circumstances. Since circumstances are constantly changing, you should be constantly evaluating and possibly changing your lane position.

Let's look at a couple of facts:

In position 1 you have the most chance of being seen by drivers that are going the same direction that you are. You are riding right in the middle of what should be the field of vision of the driver behind you. You should also be able to be seen by the vehicle in front of you in two out of three of their mirrors. So this lane position, in many situations should give the rider the greatest ability to be seen.

Position 2 is a tricky one. While it does keep you in the field of vision of the drivers behind you, it is also the place where all the oils, various other fluids, extra pieces and parts from all of the finely maintained vehicles tend to get deposited onto the roadway. If you have ever ridden in the canyons it is also where the gravel tends to gravitate and sit.

Position 3: Gives you the least amount of visibility as it moves you to the outside of what should be the field of vision of the driver behind you. But you should still be in two out of three of the mirrors of the driver in front of you. If you are in the outside lane of the road, it is also where the road starts to fall apart the quickest. You will find more potholes, cracks and crumbled road in position 3 of the outside lane of a roadway.

Just giving the above a quick read, you would think that position 1 is the safest, but when you take all of the other factors into consideration, this just isn't true. For example, if you are in the fast lane on the freeway, position 1 also puts you closest to the center divide and creates an apparent gap for a driver coming up in the lane to your right. Then when this driver starts encroaching on your space, you don't have as much safety cushion to deal with the imposing driver. For this reason, when I am in the "fast lane", I choose to ride in position 3.

Another example of a reason that you might find yourself riding in position 3 is when riding with others. When riding with a group of friends, it is best to ride in a staggered column which puts some of the riders in position 3 during the ride.

So, when would you find yourself riding in position 2? Some examples would include, when there is a large vehicle coming from the other direction (like a garbage truck or a semi). Position 2 will allow you to escape the wind blast that follows. Also, when you are on a particularly crappy road (yes we have them out here), position 2 will likely have the least amount of damage. While you might not want to ride directly down the middle of position 2, riding on one side of it might be a better idea than dealing with the ruts and damage in positions 1 & 3.

Another example of using your lane position would be when you are going to turn right. If you put on your blinker and mover from position 1 to 3 you have just made it very clear to the person behind you that you are truly going to turn to the right.

Ok, I think you get the idea. The simple point is that you should have a reason for where you ride within a lane. I do not claim to be the most knowledgeable rider, nor the safest, but I have had the opportunity to have this and many discussions like this on a few occasions. I just hope that this will help people make better decisions about their riding.

I will leave you with one last thought: I had a buddy that would ride all over the lane he was in. I mean he was rarely actually going straight down the lane. I told him to knock it off cause all the other people on the road thought he was freaking nutso! He looked at me and smiled, then said, "Yeah, but the all saw me!"

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I agree that lane position should be dynamic. I'm constantly shifting position to put myself in whatever spot offers the greatest personal visibility. In fact, I've had friends ask me why I swerve so much. Once I explain that I'm constantly trying to get myself in the most visible spot, they seem to understand.

But, what about when stopped in bumper to bumper?
I was in position 3 in the left lane (2 southbound lanes) and the dickhead in the right (also stopped) just cranked his wheels to the left and started to come over. I was right next to his driver window! Until I honked, all he cared to see was the gap I had left in front of myself as safety buffer (3/4 car length). How do you discourage this type of idiocy?

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Good points. In bumper to bumper, I usually hold the middle of the lane on a three or more lane road or as close to the other lane of same-direction traffic on a two lane road.

The middle is nice b/c it gives me escape room. the side closest to the same-direction of traffic gives me more visibility and the ability to escape to the opposite side of the lane in case of severe douche baggery

asp_125
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 08:37 AM
In merging traffic I like to get towards the side the are merging in from. My reason is that they then see a bike taking up the gap between cars rather than just a space. After I pass the merging zone I will move back into position 1 or 2.

Of course that doesn't eliminate douch baggery.

I commuted from the north to DTC on die-25 for one season. You learn to keep your head on a swivel and that even neon yellow safety vests don't eliminate the clueless and the douch bags from trying to kill you.

ghostrider_9
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I agree that lane position should be dynamic. I'm constantly shifting position to put myself in whatever spot offers the greatest personal visibility. In fact, I've had friends ask me why I swerve so much. Once I explain that I'm constantly trying to get myself in the most visible spot, they seem to understand.

But, what about when stopped in bumper to bumper?
I was in position 3 in the left lane (2 southbound lanes) and the dickhead in the right (also stopped) just cranked his wheels to the left and started to come over. I was right next to his driver window! Until I honked, all he cared to see was the gap I had left in front of myself as safety buffer (3/4 car length). How do you discourage this type of idiocy?

Good points. In bumper to bumper, I usually hold the middle of the lane on a three or more lane road or as close to the other lane of same-direction traffic on a two lane road.

The middle is nice b/c it gives me escape room. the side closest to the same-direction of traffic gives me more visibility and the ability to escape to the opposite side of the lane in case of severe douche baggery

Unfortunately, I do not think that you can completely compensate for everyone's level of idiocy. Just when you think you have it all covered, someone raises the idiocy bar to a new level in a way that you never expected. My personal opinion is that you do the best you can to be seen and deal with the other idiots as the situation arises. Simply being aware that people are more busy texting and chatting on the phone than driving should be enough to raise your awareness so that you can be better prepared.

One more thought to keep in mind while you are riding - these are my thoughts on mirrors - If you can't see a person's face in their mirror, then they have no chance of seeing you. If you look into the rearview mirror of the car in front of you and see out the side window, then you know that the driver is putting on make-up, shaving or something equally as stupid while they are driving. The point is that they do not even have the ability to see you if they were looking. This works specially well around tractor trailers and blind spots in cars. You might think that you should be able to be seen, but if you look into their mirrors and cannot see their happy, smiling face, then you are in their blind spot. It's at this point that you need to change your position so that you can be seen or risk dealing with them and the consequences of the fact that they can't see you.

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately, I do not think that you can completely compensate for everyone's level of idiocy. Just when you think you have it all covered, someone raises the idiocy bar to a new level in a way that you never expected. My personal opinion is that you do the best you can to be seen and deal with the other idiots as the situation arises. Simply being aware that people are more busy texting and chatting on the phone than driving should be enough to raise your awareness so that you can be better prepared.

One more thought to keep in mind while you are riding - these are my thoughts on mirrors - If you can't see a person's face in their mirror, then they have no chance of seeing you. If you look into the rearview mirror of the car in front of you and see out the side window, then you know that the driver is putting on make-up, shaving or something equally as stupid while they are driving. The point is that they do not even have the ability to see you if they were looking. This works specially well around tractor trailers and blind spots in cars. You might think that you should be able to be seen, but if you look into their mirrors and cannot see their happy, smiling face, then you are in their blind spot. It's at this point that you need to change your position so that you can be seen or risk dealing with them and the consequences of the fact that they can't see you.
Agreed, Marc. Your mirrors help keep you from accidentally contributing to the idiocy. The more you can make it evident to the vehicles around you that there is a bike occupying your space, the less likely someone is to zip in on you as they're trying to get one car length ahead.

In the end, the bottom line is to be vigilant and aware. You're a lone motorcycle amidst a sea of multi-ton vehicles being operated at highway speeds by drivers giving often less than 80% of their attention to the road.

BC14
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
+1 on the visibility of the drivers face in the mirrors.... Every big truck I pass I make sure to check his mirrors on the way past and check for a face... Every once in a while I catch nothing in them...

But back to the lane thing, I also tend to choose position 1 on 2 lane roads, and 2 or 3 on multi lane hiways.... but that is always subject to change, like when I have a cager come near me, I change position accordingly to offer the best chance of being seen.. I also never stay in the blind spots for any length of time.....always get to at least the front quarter panel when I can. Only so much you can do though... Gotta stay vigilant

Aphrodite
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I always change my style from ride to ride depends on where my head is, I got these tendencies to keep right while I watch every on the left.

Xtremjeepn
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 11:31 AM
13213212312321213123113231231231232123212232112232 123

Depending of course on what traffic is doing, etc. :doublefinger:

I definitely try to never be behind a vehicle when stopped. That's great protection, even if you do get hit from behind, you won't get sandwiched. But then again, being launched into an intersection isn't all that great either.... hmmm....

I used to think this was good too until I watched a car in the oncoming traffic lanes try to avoid something and swerve into all the parked (stopped at light) cars on the opposite side of the road and plow them head on.

After seeing that I decided stopping behind at least one row of cars is a good thing. Using them as a shield against oncoming traffic. You can still run up beside them if a threat comes in from behind.

aerofaze
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
If traffic is scary enough, I find that if I act crazy while on the bike- and I'm not talking stunts or making slick riding moves, I'm talking about acting like I'm actually insane- cagers tend to avoid being near me.

BC14
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Now that is an interesting tactic....likely to draw attention from LEO's, though, I would imagine.

Aphrodite
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM
If traffic is scary enough, I find that if I act crazy while on the bike- and I'm not talking stunts or making slick riding moves, I'm talking about acting like I'm actually insane- cagers tend to avoid being near me.

Right, I bet you do that lol

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
http://www.enemyforces.net/firearms/glock17_3.jpg

I do have to admit I like tink's solution.
Maybe I should wear camo and strap a magnum to my side. That'll blow a hole clean through these modern aluminum engines.