PDA

View Full Version : What is keeping you from racing?

chrobis
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
The MRA's Rule Change process is in motion for the 2010 race season. We would like to entice more street riders onto the racetrack with us. What is keeping you from joining us?

Look here for more information: http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=3

Nick_Ninja
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Old decrepit body and less testosterone than 20 years ago. :D

RajunCajun
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I've always wanted to race more than anything. But since I've been riding, I've been moving and changing jobs too much to be able to afford it. Hopefully next year.....

Snowman
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I don't want to have a race dedicated bike.

I know the potential damage I could do to a street bike, but it would be easier to do minor mods and put it on a track than to invest in a full on race setup.

willb003
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Gear... in the process....

Graphite675
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM

^I can relate to that! :hump:

Seriously I think for most it will come down to cost, plane and simple. Of course you must have the desire to race as well.

I believe the way to get more people interested in racing is to make track day's more accessible and affordable. Once you get more riders off the street and enjoying track days there will be a natural progression to racing. Your not going to get people right off the street to go racing. Promote track day's, make them more affordable, more accessible and the racing will benifit.

Repsol a095
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I would love to race; it's just not affordable. I think I may try to race a couple endurance races next year, but I wish I had the cash to ride in a couple classes!!

FZRguy
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Time and money. I would like to give the 5280 supermoto series a go.

Matt
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Not enough track time. You dedicate a whole weekend to the race and only get to ride for a short period. A single track day offers more track time than a race weekend.

PhL0aTeR
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
desire.... if there was a track in the springs, id be more pressed to do it, but i absolutely hate denver, and cant see loading up a bike, load of gear, driving 2 hours, ripping it up hard all day and then doing the same thing in reverse.

I also dont ride JUST to go fast.... i like the difference in scenery and the adventure of finding new roads. partly why my DR got ridden a lot more than the busa this year.

CaneZach
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Nothing now. I'm taking my race school the first time it's available next year now that I can dedicate my GSXR to full-time race use. I do have to say, the initial cost is high. Race school, licensing, transponder, etc. is around $600+

brennahm
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I bought a supermoto strictly because I wanted to race motorcycles and it was a much cheaper alternative to the MRA.

No license.
$50 is the most you will spend on a single class (you get discounts for every class you race per weekend after the first class)
$45 season "membership"
Reputation as a friendly series.

Plus, the bike is cheaper, tires are cheaper, crashing is MUCH cheaper.

I'll stick with supermoto5280 for a while.

salsashark
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I also dont ride JUST to go fast.... i like the difference in scenery and the adventure of finding new roads. partly why my DR got ridden a lot more than the busa this year.

I'd have to agree with this. Riding to me is more about the journey. For the cost of a race weekend, I can put a lot of gas in the bike and go any direction I want.

BigE
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Having gone thru getting a race bike, licensed, all the gear it is an expensive sport. All racing is. Especially in this economy, you have to be able to take the risk of losing your job and being able to support your family (I am living this now and my crash was almost three years ago).
Which hits the desire button, as in, I can spend $500 (if I'm lucky and it's not more) to go race this weekend or go for a nice long ride in the mountains, stay in a nice hotel and chill out.
Then there is the family aspect. Unless you are blessed with a wife and kids who love hanging out in the hot sun with noisy bikes howling around all day roadracing is more of a single guy/gal sport. There was a lot more family inclusion with MX and SuMo than roadracing.

LordLosh
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I'm trying to save up for everything. I need gear, i need classes, a Trailer, Registration for trailer, gas money, a race bike (i have a nice k8 1000 and dont want to race a 1000). items for the race bike. I mean it never stops and BigE makes a good point all racing is pricey. I want to do it but man all this money and then i dont even know how many long travel races to like pueblo and Springs i can even make lol!

longrider
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I am speaking as a former racer so it is not keeping me from racing but to me the biggest obstacle today is cost. I just got back from a 3 day trip of nothing but riding and I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $350. Even if you count using up a third of a set of Qualifiers it is still less than $500. 3 days of riding or a weekend with 60 - 90 minutes of track time? We have not even discussed the start up costs. Unfortunately I dont see a solution to this, gone are the days you could ride to the track, tape up lights, race, uncover lights and ride home.

racedk6
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I believe the way to get more people interested in racing is to make track day's more accessible and affordable. Once you get more riders off the street and enjoying track days there will be a natural progression to racing. Your not going to get people right off the street to go racing. Promote track day's, make them more affordable, more accessible and the racing will benifit.

That is a very good point but the MRA does not run any trackdays, they are all done by out side organizers.

OUTLAWD
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I agree with 675 as far as desire goes...in my case, i started running track days to push myself and the bike. now when I'm in the canyons, I find myself riding ALOT faster, even if I am only riding at the same ~60% that I always ride. I am defiantely going fast enough at times to lose my license for sure. This kills the whole aspect of owning a sportbike to ride on the street for me. Yes, the scenery is nice, but I can enjoy that on my sport tourer without needing a chiropractor after a weekend trip. This has made me seriously consider racing...BUT...

A dedicated bike is one part (which I am working on), but the rest of it adds up quickly as well.

Once you have a bike prepped for the track, you need to trailer it to the track, making it necessary to purchase a trailer, or bug a buddy every other weekend and hope you can borrow his. Assuming you are going to be spending the weekend at the track, you'll need food and either a tent or money to spend on a hotel. If you are running race tires, you will most likely want to use tire warmers, which would require a generator. Being that the sun is a bitch here in CO, and you are spending the weekend at the track, an easy up would be a nice thing to keep the sun off between races...and so it continues until you have a small fortune invested in stuff that you use at the track

many people I talk to keep there trailer stocked with all the necessary bike tools, and have a dedicated set that stays in the trailer to ensure nothing is forgotten on a race weekned. So now you have a full set of tools at home and at the track.

This isn't even taking into account the AMA and MRA memberships, the race school, and the necessary components to get your bike ready.

Yes, you could run a frugal operation, and mooch off your neighbors in the pits when you need tools or shade, and as helpful as all the MRA people I have met are, nobody wants to be that guy.

Riding and maintaining a bike is enough by itself, after you account for the gear and everything else that goes along with it, and racing just piles more on top of that, which alot of people simply cannot afford.

that is my view personally on why I cannot commit to racing.

/novel

racedk6
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'm trying to save up for everything. I need gear, i need classes, a Trailer, Registration for trailer, gas money, a race bike (i have a nice k8 1000 and dont want to race a 1000). items for the race bike. I mean it never stops and BigE makes a good point all racing is pricey. I want to do it but man all this money and then i dont even know how many long travel races to like pueblo and Springs i can even make lol!

Everything can be bought used and you can save half the costs on alot of stuff. You dont need to have the biggest and best equipmment you can buy.

I raced a bike this year that is relatively stock with great success.

racedk6
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Then there is the family aspect. Unless you are blessed with a wife and kids who love hanging out in the hot sun with noisy bikes howling around all day roadracing is more of a single guy/gal sport. There was a lot more family inclusion with MX and SuMo than roadracing.

I have never been into sumo or MX but I dont see how it is any different in the family aspect. No matter what you are around loud bikes at a track all day.

racedk6
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Not enough track time. You dedicate a whole weekend to the race and only get to ride for a short period. A single track day offers more track time than a race weekend.

A single track day does not offer what an actual race does. I used to think just like you and have that same opinion until I did my first race.

Graphite675
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
That is a very good point but the MRA does not run any trackdays, they are all done by out side organizers.

Yeah I know they are a "race" organization and don't do track days but maybe they should try and have some involvement in the future? I know it's not there cup of tea but I was just trying to think of way's to get more folks out there and involved.
If they were to organize some day's or have a presence at the track day's they may be able to promote themselves a little better?

Just trying to think of something a little different? It's really going to come down to money for most.

racedk6
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah I know they are a "race" organization and don't do track days but maybe they should try and have some involvement in the future? I know it's not there cup of tea but I was just trying to think of way's to get more folks out there and involved.
If they were to organize some day's or have a presence at the track day's they may be able to promote themselves a little better?

Just trying to think of something a little different? It's really going to come down to money for most.

Very very true!

Another thing as well is the track day fees are high because the the track rental fee is high. As well as getting the event staffed and covered by insurance. Im sure the fees for track days could be alot higher if they actually wanted to make a lot of money.

Also the MRA does have a pretty good presence at Chicane track days. All the instructors are MRA licenced expert riders. Also Mark Schellinger is always there with tire support. He is also the new rider director for the MRA as well :)

thatmofo
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Can't afford to wreck another bike and keep up with all of the costs of racing

firefghtr
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 07:48 PM
i have the equipment and gear and licence. It is just simply not affordable, and its not like i have a low paying job or one that doesnt allow me alot of time off. I am looking to sell my race bike right now for that reason, i just dont see it being affordable until im like 40 and then who knows if ill even want to do it then. I think drasticly lowering entry fees and so on would deff help with my personal perdiciment

ScottieFlan
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I have everything except a bike and ability haha I have a girlfriend and a dad that love bikes and their noise and their smell. I'm doing a never ever day tomorrow, and I plan to start racing when I get out of college. I used to want to do so many things in high school (sports) that I never did because nobody would let me be a multi sport athlete in case I got hurt. I'm not letting that happen with something I have always wanted to do, which is racing.

BigE
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I have never been into sumo or MX but I dont see how it is any different in the family aspect. No matter what you are around loud bikes at a track all day.

Biggest difference is there are kid classes so you can race as a family...if you can afford it. I raced RM SuMo Sportsman class and got enough contingency money back that it basically covered my son's and my entry fees plus some gas. I doubt I could have done that in MRA.

Everything can be bought used and you can save half the costs on alot of stuff. You dont need to have the biggest and best equipmment you can buy.

I raced a bike this year that is relatively stock with great success.

When I decided to go MRA (before I raced SuMo) I got into my bike and setup cheaper than anyone I've heard of. My first race weekend ended up being a non-event due to I did R2SL the Friday before and ground the toesliders clean off my boots and ground holes thru my fairing at PPIR. Didn't imagine I would've passed tech with 2"x12" holes in my lower. Oh and my clutch fried (FZR issue and fairly cheap but pretty much new plates were required after a few hard launches, like I said nothing about racing is cheap).

I've been riding long enough to remember wanting a "race bike with lights" for a street bike and now that is what is available...if you can afford to toss a few thousand dollars down the racetrack and honestly, imho, most guys would be better taking race schools and learn how ride their bikes stock than throw all the aftermarket goodies on and still go slow.

I'm not against racing at all, I wish I could afford it or make the sacrifice to afford it but with family and all the things that go with it, racing is a LONG way down on the wish list.

racedk6
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have everything except a bike and ability haha I have a girlfriend and a dad that love bikes and their noise and their smell. I'm doing a never ever day tomorrow, and I plan to start racing when I get out of college. I used to want to do so many things in high school (sports) that I never did because nobody would let me be a multi sport athlete in case I got hurt. I'm not letting that happen with something I have always wanted to do, which is racing.

Thats the attitude I like seeing! Lol

That was mine when I started and I have sacrificed alot to be able to come out and race but wouldnt have it any other way...

Nick_Ninja
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Biggest difference is there are kid classes so you can race as a family...if you can afford it. I raced RM SuMo Sportsman class and got enough contingency money back that it basically covered my son's and my entry fees plus some gas. I doubt I could have done that in MRA.

When I decided to go MRA (before I raced SuMo) I got into my bike and setup cheaper than anyone I've heard of. My first race weekend ended up being a non-event due to I did R2SL the Friday before and ground the toesliders clean off my boots and ground holes thru my fairing at PPIR. Didn't imagine I would've passed tech with 2"x12" holes in my lower. Oh and my clutch fried (FZR issue and fairly cheap but pretty much new plates were required after a few hard launches, like I said nothing about racing is cheap).

I've been riding long enough to remember wanting a "race bike with lights" for a street bike and now that is what is available...if you can afford to toss a few thousand dollars down the racetrack and honestly, imho, most guys would be better taking race schools and learn how ride their bikes stock than throw all the aftermarket goodies on and still go slow.

I'm not against racing at all, I wish I could afford it or make the sacrifice to afford it but with family and all the things that go with it, racing is a LONG way down on the wish list.

If I had the ability to sponsor you you'd be riding at the Isle of Man. Case closed.

co750
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM
A dedicated bike is one part (which I am working on), but the rest of it adds up quickly as well.

Once you have a bike prepped for the track, you need to trailer it to the track, making it necessary to purchase a trailer, or bug a buddy every other weekend and hope you can borrow his.
I haul mine in the back of my truck, and you can find open trailers for a few hundred bucks.

Assuming you are going to be spending the weekend at the track, you'll need food and either a tent or money to spend on a hotel. Most people I know in CO have a tent, and it is definitely the most economical way to go.

If you are running race tires, you will most likely want to use tire warmers, which would require a generator. I plugged into other peoples generators. All I did was ask on the forum and several offered. Now that I got my new generator I'm offering the same to anyone who needs it.

Being that the sun is a bitch here in CO, and you are spending the weekend at the track, an easy up would be a nice thing to keep the sun off between races...Same as above, and it helps you mingle with other racers and meet cool people.

many people I talk to keep there trailer stocked with all the necessary bike tools, and have a dedicated set that stays in the trailer to ensure nothing is forgotten on a race weekned. So now you have a full set of tools at home and at the track.I take mine in two small $15 toolboxes. I keep all the bike specific stuff in them at track and home.

You can do it as bare bones or as fancy as you want. I'm not in a nice toyhauler with ac and a garage, but I'm still out there loving it. And if you find a group of people you get along with, it is normal to pit together and help each other out.

I think that the impression out there is that racing is mega expensive because you have to go out and buy all the biggest and best. It definitely costs money, more than a Saturday ride for sure, but it can be done frugally. You build up the things you need slowly and make smart purchases.

I bought my race bike fully prepped for 2k. The only items i purchased my first season were tire warmers, a transponder and a new 1pc suit (which was a luxury, I already had a 2pc). All together I spent a grand to get ready, including license. So it can be done without filling up every credit card you own. If there is anybody who wants help with what they need to get started, or what needs to be done to their bike, contact me and I will be more than happy to help out.

FZRguy
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I own a dirt bike so I can get my track fix for $10. I can throw the bike down the track, pick it up and keep riding. MX is not for everyone but it’s how I roll….for cheap.

Bueller
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Not enough bang for the buck, too much politics (in any race org.) and too many "professional" win at all costs riders. I found that I was not really having as much fun as I thought. It is a lot of work and money (no matter how cheap you do it) to do a 10 race weekend season, pretty much eats up your entire summer. I find that the stress of racing really wore on me and it became less and less fun, where as track days are relaxing and fun enough to get the speed fix, and although it isn't racing, when you throw down some hot laps, dicing it up with a person or 2 you are matched well with, it can be just as exhilarating as racing.
Many people get blinded by the "glamor" of racing, it is just a natural progression of the track addiction to move to racing once they feel they are getting skilled enough that they start picking up speed and confidence doing track days.

BigE
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 08:02 AM
If I had the ability to sponsor you you'd be riding at the Isle of Man. Case closed.

Thank you, sir! :up:

Not enough bang for the buck, too much politics (in any race org.) and too many "professional" win at all costs riders. I found that I was not really having as much fun as I thought. It is a lot of work and money (no matter how cheap you do it) to do a 10 race weekend season, pretty much eats up your entire summer. I find that the stress of racing really wore on me and it became less and less fun, where as track days are relaxing and fun enough to get the speed fix, and although it isn't racing, when you throw down some hot laps, dicing it up with a person or 2 you are matched well with, it can be just as exhilarating as racing.
Many people get blinded by the "glamor" of racing, it is just a natural progression of the track addiction to move to racing once they feel they are getting skilled enough that they start picking up speed and confidence doing track days.

That is something else I started thinking of, trackdays there are a few guys who will be "racing" for first place :rolleyes: but for the most part everyone is expecting to be at work on Monday. Racing you the forty year old novice who thinks he can get sponsored by the factory and will take some extremely dumb chances to get that plastic trophy.

DorJammer
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM

nicely put

jplracing
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM
The main vote on the poll seems to be the on going cost of racing. So I thought I would add my .02

Everyone is correct when they say it is expensive. The bike, gear, travel, entry fees, tires, trailer etc.. etc... If you are not careful, it can consume a life time of savings (or credit card debt). However, there are a few things I have learned over the years about keeping the costs in check

First, you don't need to have the latest 2009 GSXR 1000 with a superbike motor built by Clarkie and Ohlins gas charged forks from someone like Thermosman. The reality is that you can pick up a very competitive bike for around $3k. Look at used tire warmers ~$200. Look at different websites for left over last years gear (ebay has great deals on name brand high quality helmets, 888 Fast lap sells very nice quality leathers for >$500 and will give you a free set of gloves..etc)

So yes I can understand how ~$4000.00 can be expensive to invest in..trust me I get it. But the reality is that once you have done this you can race on the cheap. As I have told some of you in person this is my take on it.......

1) Pair up with a buddy to split the cost of the generator, tools,travel, food etc.. I think for the last race in HPR my personal travel expenses were less than $50 which included food and gas

2) Transportation to the track can be had in a simple pick up or a Moto tote or a simple harbor freight trailer...you don't need a $60k toyhauler and a F350 to get to the track

3) You don't need $20 per gallon race fuel...pump gas is fine

4) Entry fees in the MRA CAN be as low as $50 per weekend. For that money you get Saturday morning practice (4 - 20 minutes sessions) Endurance practice (1- 15 or 20 minute session) The half hour endurance racing and you can do the Sunday morning practice if you wish...for those of you that have done track days ... this is ALOT of track time

5) Tires...if you are new or on a budget RUN TAKE OFFS!!. There are a few higher end racers in the MRA that will only put 7 or 14 laps on a set of tires. These take offs can be bought for $150 (sometimes less depending on who you are dealing with) with mounting and balance. Ask racedk6 about this. If I am not mistaken he did this all year and ran near the front. And as another example...I used the same set of tires for 3 race weekends and 5 trackdays...were they complete trash when I was done..you better believe it...but I got my money's worth.

So the overall point I am trying to make..is that if you want to keep expenses in check you can you just need to be creative. Is it still expensive..sure. But also realize when you are done racing..you can sell the bike, generator, tools, warmers etc... etc... etc..

Edit - Oh and one point I forgot to make. If you don't mind spending the weekend at the track, you can sign up for the Endurance race...pay your $50 do your race and practice. Then cornerwork on Sunday..and get paid $50 (i think it is $50) and your entry fees are covered.....remember creativity

co750
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Edit - Oh and one point I forgot to make. If you don't mind spending the weekend at the track, you can sign up for the Endurance race...pay your $50 do your race and practice. Then cornerwork on Sunday..and get paid $50 (i think it is $50) and your entry fees are covered.....remember creativity

Actually you can make even more if you become a regular8)

chrobis
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Thank you one and all for taking this poll and expressing your views. In the first day there were 50 responses. Please
keep them coming.

I realize now that my hope had been to see the majority of responses be for one of the 'Preparedness' categories, if only because the 'Ongoing Costs' concerns are a tougher nut to crack. It may be feasible to accommodate the former by considering changes to the MRA's rulebook that address real or perceived issues of rider and bike prep. The latter really comes down to a perception of value - there is no question that racing is more expensive than track days. The question is whether or not you are one of those for whom it makes sense to race.

Ive started a follow-on thread here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35419 in order to try and document what the MRA could do to modify your perception of readiness and / or value.

For many of you this may very well result in convincing you that racing is not worth it, but at least you will know.

racedk6
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
5) Tires...if you are new or on a budget RUN TAKE OFFS!!. There are a few higher end racers in the MRA that will only put 7 or 14 laps on a set of tires. These take offs can be bought for $150 (sometimes less depending on who you are dealing with) with mounting and balance. Ask racedk6 about this. If I am not mistaken he did this all year and ran near the front. And as another example...I used the same set of tires for 3 race weekends and 5 trackdays...were they complete trash when I was done..you better believe it...but I got my money's worth.

This is very true the only time I ever ran new tires is when contingency money paid for a new set. That only happened twice all year. The last novice GTO race I went from 36thish to 6th with a set of tires that had 6 races and 3 trackdays on them.

This years Michelin DOT tire will last a very long time. So you dont need to replace them every weekend.

Pandora-11
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Utter and total fear......and age.....and equipment....and know how.

Guess you can't really take this one seriously.

BigE
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Utter and total fear......and age.....and equipment....and know how.

Guess you can't really take this one seriously.

Just be like your kittah avatar! Tuck in and gas it, when you get to a corner...turn! Everything will work out fine! ;)

dirkterrell
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Hasn't stopped me. Yet. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

I need the entire off-season to recuperate though... :(

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Money for the track bike and money to for the supplies & gear (trailer, truck, bike mods, fairings, etc.) and money for the ongoing cost.

vort3xr6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I will be starting racing next year. I graduated from college recently and moved out here without knowing anybody and just got a decent job. I don't make that good of money yet but I have a good bike with track body work on it that is dependable that will be track only starting this winter. I have a 2 piece suit and bike stands.

One of the main reasons I have never raced before this is lack of funds for ongoing costs. The other reason is the paddock in most other places seems very pretentious and not very friendly. Only one track I have been to where I truly felt like it was a group event of people having fun. I know I can't cast judgment when I have not been in the race scene here but it is something that worry's me.

I need warmers, EZup, TIRES!, borrow some generator plug ins and I am ready to go. Do I need to upgrade my suspension? When does the season start next year? Also I am completely solo in this so if anybody wants to "take me under their wing", it would be greatly appreciated.

jplracing
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
One of the main reasons I have never raced before this is lack of funds for ongoing costs. The other reason is the paddock in most other places seems very pretentious and not very friendly. Only one track I have been to where I truly felt like it was a group event of people having fun. I know I can't cast judgment when I have not been in the race scene here but it is something that worry's me.

I need warmers, EZup, TIRES!, borrow some generator plug ins and I am ready to go. Do I need to upgrade my suspension? When does the season start next year? Also I am completely solo in this so if anybody wants to "take me under their wing", it would be greatly appreciated.

Vort

First thing...ever since I began racing I have always found the people in the MRA to be very approachable and easy to get along with...except that Racedk6 guy.....he is a dick. However, you do need to realize that people do take it seriously and sometimes get wrapped up in there own day and its problems. But everyone there is more than willing to lend a hand you just have to realize what is going on with them first.

Do you "need" to upgrade your suspension...no. Is it a mod that will show positive results .. yes. So that is up to you

Normally the "season" starts with the race school which is held in March. The first race is normally at the end of April or beginning of May. However, don't expect the dates to be released until late fall early winter.

In terms of some one showing you the ropes...normally I put together a "intro to roadracing clinic" in Feb or March of every year. I have been asked to coordinate more than one and to schedule something along the lines of one this fall, mid winter and early spring. But usually after that there are several people looking to "buddy up" so keep your ears open

In the meantime if you need questions answered please let me know I will help out were I can

Joe

racedk6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I will be starting racing next year. I graduated from college recently and moved out here without knowing anybody and just got a decent job. I don't make that good of money yet but I have a good bike with track body work on it that is dependable that will be track only starting this winter. I have a 2 piece suit and bike stands.

Best thing you can do is watch the http://www.mra-racing.org/ website and post up on there as well. The MRA is like a big family with this being my first year racing ever i was a little worried about this as well. But I got a welcome from alot of people and my "race" family grew every weekend.

Warmers you can get used for pretty good prices. EZup you can get almost anywhere just price shop. Tires run take offs, you can get them from trackside vendors or just about any MRA racer. Dont forget to get a transponder, you need one of those to be scored.

racedk6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Vort

First thing...ever since I began racing I have always found the people in the MRA to be very approachable and easy to get along with...especially that Racedk6 guy.....he is an awesome guy and a great racer. However, you do need to realize that people do take it seriously and sometimes get wrapped up in there own day and its problems. But everyone there is more than willing to lend a hand you just have to realize what is going on with them first.

Do you "need" to upgrade your suspension...no. Is it a mod that will show positive results .. yes. So that is up to you

Normally the "season" starts with the race school which is held in March. The first race is normally at the end of April or beginning of May. However, don't expect the dates to be released until late fall early winter.

In terms of some one showing you the ropes...normally I put together a "intro to roadracing clinic" in Feb or March of every year. I have been asked to coordinate more than one and to schedule something along the lines of one this fall, mid winter and early spring. But usually after that there are several people looking to "buddy up" so keep your ears open

In the meantime if you need questions answered please let me know I will help out were I can

Joe

Awww thanks Joe :)

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM
ok newbee question.. whats a transponder used for?

racedk6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
ok newbee question.. whats a transponder used for?

The transponders are used to document all lap times and positions.

Stank Juic3
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I say fuck, i'm going to the MRA school next year. And build up slowly (buy what I need during the off season). If I dont have the $$$ to race I just dont race. But imma try and do it anyway. Money comes and goes. Hell just to be in 2 races would make me happy. Either way I look at it motorcycling in general is just expensive.

I really dont think buying a trailer is a MUST. I'll take take offs. and anything else I can find for cheap. As far as taking my only bike and making it a track bike.......so be it. After my trackday yesterday, riding streets just doesn't seem as fun. In fact I barely ride street unless theres a bike night to go to or a group ride. I prefer the track now. Fun, safer, and I found my limits that I couldn't find in the streets.

As for the on going cost, I just take one thing at a time. It took me 3 months just to get gear up for one track day.

MRA here I come.

64BonnieLass
Things I've learned:

Slower really is faster.
Skill, looks better than fast.
Work on one thing at a time.
Chin up and out.
Get the "line". It works for a reason.

White plate guys, actually know their stuff. Start listening

Ego will get you no where in this sport. If you need a bigger penis, get another fix.
The support for a new racer is GRAND. Ask, and you shall receive.
The people of the MRA are the most amazing supportive group of people I have ever had the luxery of knowing.

Zach929rr
What's keeping me from racing? Nothing, really. Just want to do another season of track days personally.

racedk6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
What's keeping me from racing? Nothing, really. Just want to do another season of track days personally.

That is a good choice for sure. I did this before my first year of racing. I told myself I want to have top 10 lap times before I give it a go. Well I hit my goal and decided to race. Well I did all this on a 1000, switching to a 600 this year was a real challenge to get up to speed on.

racedk6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
White plate guys, actually know their stuff. Start listening

The support for a new racer is GRAND. Ask, and you shall receive.
The people of the MRA are the most amazing supportive group of people I have ever had the luxery of knowing.

This is what brought me out to the races. It is also why I keep coming back. The support for another rider is unparallel, it is crazy what people are ready to offer up so you can get out and race. Sometimes all you have to do is ask.

Motodrew
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I'm looking forward to joining the MRA next season. Budgeting is definitely key. I sacrificed my track experience this year to hopefully participate in full next year with a seperate track bike.

Weighing your priorities is necessary. Sacrafices of other recreational hobbies, trips, pleasures, etc will pay off next year for me. If motorcycling is your absolute passion, I think anyone can be capable of finding a way to make it happen.

I may be one goofy looking privateer come next year, but I know nothing is going to match the excitement & enjoyment of racing on the track.

Zach929rr
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
That is a good choice for sure. I did this before my first year of racing. I told myself I want to have top 10 lap times before I give it a go.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. Having a lot of practice time in a noncompetitive environment would make me feel even more comfortable when I decide to go do it.

You have also made some very valid points as far as cost goes. It always kills me when people think they need Ohlins this and Brembo that. Hell, I can pull some respectable times on 2ct's and a day or two at that particular track.

And Drew can probably pull mid-pack lap times as is. Sumbitch.

64BonnieLass
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Drew, whoo hoo

crazitat
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Not a damn thang! Would love to do a few more track days though, before start of next season. Hopefully I will be able to line up on the grid next yr. As for the bike and money, it will be my 1 and only. For money, hell I spend enough on nothing and never know where it goes. At least racing I will be able to enjoy it and remember why I'm spending it (to have a lot of fun).

JohnGarc
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
SPONSoR ME AND I WILL RACE... haha. COST is the biggest factor!!!!

OUTLAWD
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM
<snip> ...how to enjoy your day. :)

Not EVERYONE can pit next to you to reap the full benefits hun...:)

Gainer
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Racing "in general" is expensive by nature. I have been around it all my life...jet skis, cars, drags, circle track, hydro-plane boats, airplanes, NASCAR, Indy, F1.....just about any thing that you can put flammable fuel in and make it go faster. There is a common thread in all of it…. Racing in general is a “family business” and your commitment is the key. How far will you take it???

Nick_Ninja
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 10:44 PM
$$$$ = :down:

Gainer
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM
$$$$ = :down:

Not true!!! If sportbike racing is bad business, explain Michael Jordan to me.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Not a damn thang! Would love to do a few more track days though, before start of next season. Hopefully I will be able to line up on the grid next yr. As for the bike and money, it will be my 1 and only. For money, hell I spend enough on nothing and never know where it goes. At least racing I will be able to enjoy it and remember why I'm spending it (to have a lot of fun).

This is a great point. Most people spend so much money on useless junk through out the year that if we had a better budget we would be able to race. My biggest thing is food. I am on the run so much that I spend a ton of money every month on fast food. My wifes is shopping. We were looking at this the other day because I told her I wanted to race when I came back from this deployment. If I cut my fast food in half and she cut down on her shopping we would both be able to race and still have left over money. For those that want to do it we will find a way.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Not true!!! If sportbike racing is bad business, explain Michael Jordan to me.

Hobbies and Businesses can be differentiated.

Motodrew
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
And Drew can probably pull mid-pack lap times as is. Sumbitch.

Thanks Zach (and Terri (Sp?)). We will certainly see! Looking forward to some track days with ya next year!

vort3xr6
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Okay I am looking through all the MRA materials and compiling a cost list in order to start racing for a first time novice racer.

Assuming you have a working street bike. The next step would be to race prep it according to MRA standards.

Race Prep - minimum $600 (case covers, safety wired, track bodywork)
Some stuff people may already have on it but most stuff probably not.
A decent set up tires to last you a couple races - $250
MRA Race school - $200
MRA competition license - $100
Transponder - $250
AMA membership (why?) - $40
Tire Warmers - $250
General Pit equipment necessary for racing - $200

SO. Before a novice rider can even step FOOT on the grid, they have to shell out somewhere around the vicinity of $1800.

For me. To dump that much money into an activity that I do not even know is worth it yet because I have never done it, is logically asinine.

If you really want to see more novice racers on the grid. Stagger the costs depending on the classes. If it really does go to Nov-A Nov-B Nov-C. Make it a cost ladder all the way up to expert.

dirkterrell
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Insurance reasons.

Dirk

brennahm
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Has anyone looked at the budget for MRA?

Notice their Board get's paid?!?!?
They pay their corner workers!?!? (make racers do it, or pay a penalty in points)
The ROR payout is HUGE.

Seems to me that there are some money pits in the org that could easily be remedied. Sure these things are nice, but unnecessary especially considering how the fate of MRA is in question...

hcr25
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Logically asinine??

Racing motorcycles or even just doing track days is totally asinine if you really think about it. Why in the hell would anyone in their right mind do either? Hauling ass basically as fast as you can down the straight, braking so hard your eyes nearly pop out. Then you drag your knee on the ground on purpose! Then we do this with a bunch of other crazy people at the same time. So again I ask with the hell would anyone even buy a sport bike to ride on the track let alone race??

Because its FUN!

If you want something bad enough, you will do what ever it takes to do it.
When I first started racing in 1995 I did the last 3 races of the year. I loved it and it was something I really wanted to do more of.
Problem was I couldnt really afford to do a whole season. My solution was to get a second job. Did it suck working two jobs for awhile? Yep but I didnt mis a race weekend and it was all worth it.

(Race Prep - minimum $600 (case covers, safety wired, track bodywork)
Some stuff people may already have on it but most stuff probably not.(

I think it can be done for half this much if you buy used

(A decent set up tires to last you a couple races - $250)

This is money you would spend if you are just doing track days

(MRA Race school - $200)

A good value even if you never race if it helps you become a better rider

(MRA competition license - $100)

You can get a 1 day license for $50

(Transponder - $250)

You can rent one for $50
(AMA membership (why?) - $40)

Because we are sanctioned by the AMA and we get our insurance through them. Remember when Matty got hit by a race bike a Pueblo a couple of years ago? The AMA insurance settled the law suit against the MRA

(Tire Warmers - $250)

You dont have to have tire warmers

(General Pit equipment necessary for racing - $200)

Hook up with a friend or group of friends, lots of racers share.

If you want something bad enough you can make it happen if you want to.

Mike

Sean
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Ninja'd by Mike!!!!! Listen to him, he knows a lot more about this than I ever will.

Race Prep - minimum $600 (case covers, safety wired, track bodywork)
Some stuff people may already have on it but most stuff probably not.
A decent set up tires to last you a couple races - $250
MRA Race school - $200
MRA competition license - $100
Transponder - $250
Tire Warmers - $250
General Pit equipment necessary for racing - $200

For me. To dump that much money into an activity that I do not even know is worth it yet because I have never done it, is logically asinine.
You don't have to get everything at once. I've slowly been getting stuff here and there as I go.

Race prep- watch ebay, wera, mra and even here to get cheap used stuff to help prep your bike. If you try to buy it all at once, it's expensive, so keep your eyes open. Cheap stuff is out there, it's just not always around the second you want it.

tires- be friendly and meet some of the current racers. fast people like new rubber. Many times they will sell good take-off's for $50-$75. Unless you're doing 2 min @ HPR, take offs can last you a couple of races. $250 can get you five sets of tires if your smart.

tire warmers- same thing. Racers that have been in the biz for awhile get new ones, which means they have old ones that still work. Talk to people and let them know what you are looking for. Many MRA guys are more than willing to help someone get in the sport.

General pit equip- make friends. I know some really great people that are usually willing to let me pit with them. Just be willing to return a favor when they need it. You don't necessarily need a generator, air compressor, tools, easy up, etc... the first day on the track.

It is possible to make it cheaper if you are smart. It is alot more start up cash than knitting as a hobbie, but then it's just a matter of maintaining. And if you've been out on the track, you probably have an idea of what it will be like, so you're not going into it completely blind. Just my .02

hcr25
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Has anyone looked at the budget for MRA?

Notice their Board get's paid?!?!?
They pay their corner workers!?!? (make racers do it, or pay a penalty in points)
The ROR payout is HUGE.

Seems to me that there are some money pits in the org that could easily be remedied. Sure these things are nice, but unnecessary especially considering how the fate of MRA is in question...

Some good questions.
Have you been to a MRA general meeting?

Board member pay was cut in half and even before that it wouldnt equal minimum wage for the hours put in.

How exactly would you have racers work corners? If a racer has several races throughout the day how could he work a given turn? How much more time would it take to shuttle racers to and from turns throughout the day to get this done.

ROR payout is subsidized by by the MRA but we also have to pay a ROR surcharge when we enter which goes to the prize money.

brennahm
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Why are the board members even paid?

Because the MRA has gotten too big. What do I base this on? The fact you guys are having a hard time keeping a pulse. If it's sustainable, awesome. If it's to the point where polls are being posted to ask about why people don't race - the respondents come back nearly unanimously citing cost - and the organizers are getting paid - seems to me a new list of priorities should be created.

How to get racers working corners?

Make it mandatory to work three races a year. I doubt ANYONE is running EVERY race EVERY weekend. It may not be easy, but seems like a pretty simple way to cut costs which in turn reduce costs for racers...

ROR Payout?

Why not have the purse entirely supported by entries? Again, easy way to cut costs.

There are reasons you guys do everything you do, I won't contest that. But chatter on the CSC indicates some issues with participation. This particular thread has quite clearly indicated that cost is the biggest issue. So, while you may have reasons/excuses to do things the way you always have, maybe it's time to listen to suggestions and realize that change might help...

64BonnieLass
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM
FWIW Brennham, all novice racers are required to work off novice hours. Some do work corners, others do a variety of other tasks. And some have paid cash towards the cornerworkers in order to replace working novice hours.

Corner workers SHOULD be paid. They carry a great responsibility out there for the safety and concern for all involved. :) It's not a light task.

dirkterrell
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 09:46 AM
How to get racers working corners?

Make it mandatory to work three races a year. I doubt ANYONE is running EVERY race EVERY weekend. It may not be easy, but seems like a pretty simple way to cut costs which in turn reduce costs for racers...

That would be a logistical nightmare if I understand what you're saying. Novices are currently required to do 4 hours of service work and many fulfill that by doing corner work.

There are reasons you guys do everything you do, I won't contest that. But chatter on the CSC indicates some issues with participation. This particular thread has quite clearly indicated that cost is the biggest issue. So, while you may have reasons/excuses to do things the way you always have, maybe it's time to listen to suggestions and realize that change might help...

I agree that everything should be looked at but you need to differentiate between startup costs and recurring expenses. The startup costs (bike, gear, etc) are large and have little to do with the MRA. And it's the startup costs that people are concerned with. The only recurring costs that the MRA has any control over is the race fees and that is usually of the order of $200 if you run a couple of races.

Dirk

brennahm
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
In no way was I attempting to diminish the value of corner workers. Further, I never meant to imply that any suggestion of mine was THE answer. Just throwing them out there...

McVaaahhh
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM
What's keeping me from racing? NOTHING. I'm griddin up next year bitches! :lol:

hcr25
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
The problem the MRA is having is not unique to us. I have spoke to board members from WERA, CMRA, SMRI, USBA and ASMA race clubs. All of these clubs are having low rider turn out.

Snowman
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM

It’s obvious that those that have done this before know far more short cuts to get a bike on a track than those that have haven’t. This is knowledge from experience.

However, vort3xr6 question is still valid. Why would anyone shell out anything on something they have never done before?

After all this is not for everyone and the jump from Canyon Rider to Sportsman Class is a huge one both is cost and effort. There has to be a progression of steps that need to be taking before one should take a start light.

So this discussion should be about "what is the progression from Canyon Rider to MRA Racer?"

Snowman
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Step one: Go to a Chicane Track Day.
Bike Requirements:
Bike should be in good mechanical condition
All coolant is to be drained and replaced with straight water - 1 Gallon Distilled Water $1.50
Tires should have at least 50% tread remaining
Brake pads should have at least 50% lining remaining
All lights disconnected and taped over – 1 Roll of Blue Painters Tape $5.00
Mirrors removed or folded back and taped over

Attire Requirements:
Textile 2 PC suits that zip together all the way around at the waist
All riders are required to wear a back protector -
A full-face helmet made in the last 5 years
Motorcycle specific boots that extend above the ankles
Motorcycle specific gloves that have hard armor over the knuckles and extend beyond the wrist.

This can cost you depending on how many of the requirment you have already, anywhere from $50.00 (if you’re lucky enough to score a Never Ever Pass) to around $600.00 if you
need things like back protectors, boots and a new suit.

Step two?

hcr25
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
It’s obvious that those that have done this before know far more short cuts to get a bike on a track than those that have haven’t. This is knowledge from experience.

However, vort3xr6 question is still valid. Why would anyone shell out anything on something they have never done before?

After all this is not for everyone and the jump from Canyon Rider to Sportsman Class is a huge one both is cost and effort. There has to be a progression of steps that need to be taking before one should take a start light.

So the discuss should be what is the progression from Canyon Rider to MRA Racer?

That is why we are considering a "super street" type of class. Where someone could race only that class with minimul bike prep, reduced entry fee. No transponder, no contingency, no points or trophies.

Snowman
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
That is why we are considering a "super street" type of class. Where someone could race only that class with minimul bike prep, reduced entry fee. No transponder, no contingency, no points or trophies.What kind of training would this class require?
Just the basics safety training class like those offered by Chicane or to racer school needed by the MRA?

Desmodromico
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I didn't plan to race this year but as I ran more and more track days and my lap times became more respectable I dove in. Track days are one of the absolute best things anyone can do on a bike, and for some that will be as far as they need to go.

If you aren't someone who enjoys competition and the adrenaline charge that goes with it you probably shouldn't race. For me it is about challenging myself to improve my lap times and improve my skills and the satisfaction from doing both makes the cost a moot point. If you love something you find a way to do it even if that means spending less money on other things and saving up over the off-season.

Everyone talks about cost cost cost...what is the cost if you are pushing yourself in the canyons? Yes there are inherent dangers in racing but there is also a safe runoff area, no cars or trucks coming at you, cornerworkers and EMT's on site, and requirements for gear and bikes. I have two kids under 4 years old, every time I ride the street I realize it is not a wise choice for me anymore, I can manage my risk much better in a race or track environment. I crashed at 70mph in a turn at HPR and walked away with a few bruises and aches, I doubt there is anywhere on the street I would have been so lucky.

The MRA is a club and like any club there will always be disagreement about certain things among its members, if you have issues with someone and want to take your ball and go home so be it, seems a bit immature to me that these issues can't be worked out. Overall as someone new to the group I think the members are a great bunch of people and I look forward to a full season next year and meeting many more new friends.

Anyone who has an interest in racing can send me a note and I will be happy to tell them what I did to get started and what they will need to run next year.

rybo
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Step one: Go to a Chicane Track Day.
Bike Requirements:
Bike should be in good mechanical condition
All coolant is to be drained and replaced with straight water - 1 Gallon Distilled Water $1.50
Tires should have at least 50% tread remaining
Brake pads should have at least 50% lining remaining
All lights disconnected and taped over – 1 Roll of Blue Painters Tape $5.00
Mirrors removed or folded back and taped over

Attire Requirements:
Textile 2 PC suits that zip together all the way around at the waist
All riders are required to wear a back protector -
A full-face helmet made in the last 5 years
Motorcycle specific boots that extend above the ankles
Motorcycle specific gloves that have hard armor over the knuckles and extend beyond the wrist.

This can cost you depending on how many of the requirment you have already, anywhere from $50.00 (if you’re lucky enough to score a Never Ever Pass) to around $600.00 if you
need things like back protectors, boots and a new suit.

Step two?

Chris, thanks for opening this subject, Randall, thanks for making Chicane step 1.

Let me add that in many cases I have gear available to borrow. Many riders have come without a suit and borrowed one of mine, many have come without back protectors, or proper gloves and I have them to lend. It REALLY is possible to do one of my days on a budget.

I'm in support of a superstreet class in the MRA. Something with bike prep that mimics trackday prep should be sufficient. Gear requirements will have to (in my opinion) step up to a full leather suit.

Rider training is where I think it gets a little messy, but why, if you're interested wouldn't you sign up for an MRA race school? The one at the beginning of the year is $200 and includes and evening of classroom work along with a full day of riding and a mock race. They are available at my trackdays several times a season for reasonable money as well.

Rider training is the most valuable thing we can do. It's worth far more performance than almost any mod you could do to the bike.

so, in my perfect world

Step 1 - Chicane Trackday
Step 2 - Trackday with MRA race school
Step 3 - Superstreet class for 1 season
Step 4 - Novice year
Step 5 - Advance to expert

rybo
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM

There are a lot of ways to race on a smaller budget:

1) Race and older bike

I know, we all want to have a 2010 under our butts, but the truth is that there are a lot of good bikes, already race prepped out there for reasonable money. There are a multitude of them on the MRA forums right now for $4000 and under. These bikes are essentially ready to go. Change the oil, put on some new tires and go racing. For 80-90% of us the ability of the bike is NOT the limiting factor in our lap times, it's the ability of the rider.

2) Race endurance

Simply the best bargain in the raceday. $50 entry fee for several practice sessions and a 1/2 hour race.

3) Bring picnic lunch

4) Race out of the back of your truck or get an open flatbed trailer

There are a bunch of folks doing this with great success. Erik Cromer comes to mind. No generator, he runs his warmers off of an inverter on his car battery. No enclosed trailer, he has a flatbed. Dion Eads comes to mind as well, he raced a 1999 R6 this year with great success and totally on a budget.

5) Team up with a racer who uses new tires to buy their take off's for the season

You can cut your tire cost by about 60%, and still have reasonably good tires to race on. There are many racers in the club chasing money and championships that use tires for one or two sprint races and then are done with them.

6) You don't have to go it alone!

There are many many club members willing to help new riders, all you have to do is ask. Tap into the experience they have with direct questions. It's difficult for an experienced racer to provide good advice when the statement they are approached with is "I need help". What do you need help with? Do you want someone to ride behind you and give you advice on line selection? Do you need assistance in picking a good bike? The more specific you are with your question the better I would be able to help you out.

nattynoo
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I didn't vote in the poll because there are more reasons than I can choose.

1) I don't think that I am prepared ability wise...I would want to race only when I can bring my A game and actually compete, maybe kick some ass and win a race. With that I am going to do another summer's worth of Scott's trackdays. Maybe pay for some professional help.

2) I am certainly not prepared as far as bike and equipment go. That I hope to get sorted out over the winter/next season. Depends of finances as well. Gear I have everything. Between Jon and I, I believe that we can get this part sorted out without spending an arm and a leg.

3) Sustained cost of racing. I don't make that much money and I can't prioritize racing and the associated costs. When I do start racing it will be only very part time. Maybe sometime in the future, I can make it a bigger priority.

I can say that the desire is there, without a doubt. I want to race, but I want to do it when I feel 100% positive about it, without any doubts.

With all that said, I will wait patiently for next season to come.

racedk6
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
What kind of training would this class require?
Just the basics safety training class like those offered by Chicane or to racer school needed by the MRA?

I would assume some type of MRA training. The chicane days do not go over everything that the MRA does. Like format, pre grid, and probably a couple other things as well. But I am not 100% positive on this.

racedk6
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Chris, thanks for opening this subject, Randall, thanks for making Chicane step 1.

Let me add that in many cases I have gear available to borrow. Many riders have come without a suit and borrowed one of mine, many have come without back protectors, or proper gloves and I have them to lend. It REALLY is possible to do one of my days on a budget.

I'm in support of a superstreet class in the MRA. Something with bike prep that mimics trackday prep should be sufficient. Gear requirements will have to (in my opinion) step up to a full leather suit.

Rider training is where I think it gets a little messy, but why, if you're interested wouldn't you sign up for an MRA race school? The one at the beginning of the year is $200 and includes and evening of classroom work along with a full day of riding and a mock race. They are available at my trackdays several times a season for reasonable money as well.

Rider training is the most valuable thing we can do. It's worth far more performance than almost any mod you could do to the bike.

so, in my perfect world

Step 1 - Chicane Trackday
Step 2 - Trackday with MRA race school
Step 3 - Superstreet class for 1 season
Step 4 - Novice year
Step 5 - Advance to expert

I think leather should be required no matter what, especially if you are gridding up. To much crap happens in turn one all the time that it would be irresponsible on the riders parts not have them.

I also think the super street class should be limited to half of the race round instead of a full season. But that is a different discussion

racedk6
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I didn't vote in the poll because there are more reasons than I can choose.

1) I don't think that I am prepared ability wise...I would want to race only when I can bring my A game and actually compete, maybe kick some ass and win a race. With that I am going to do another summer's worth of Scott's trackdays. Maybe pay for some professional help.

Professional help is always the best thing you can do for yourself. Racing to me is 80% mental and 20% physical. IMO you have to be pretty head stong when coming into this sport. If you wanna go out and fight for the win!!

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Professional help is always the best thing you can do for yourself. Racing to me is 80% mental and 20% physical. IMO you have to be pretty head stong when coming into this sport. If you wanna go out and fight for the win!!

That leaves me out then. :silly:

kawasakirob
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Racing is awesome. When people say going fast on the street is stupid, they fail to recognize the people they are talking to and the cost for a simple trackday. Cost of getting there round trip (100) tires for 2 trackdays BT-002 RS mounted (260) fuel for the bike (30) Trackday (150) food (10). It is an expensive day. Cost of pushing yourself OVER the limit to find your limit(?) No health insurance because you are a broke college student ( in debt) Since riding the track I have fell in love with it. Unfortunatly, racin is something that will have to wait, even though it lies deep in my heart. Watching people on trackdays think they are Nicky Hayden and wiping out after they make an inside move in a corner (priceless) Then going home 2 sessions in the day is pretty good to. Going fast is awesome, just can't afford to make a mistake going faster. Trying to afford 3 trackdays a year will have to be good enough for now

derekm
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM
For me the deal breaker is not being able to go for distance stoppies on straits:banghead:, oh and I have no clue how to "ride" a bike:)

brennahm
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I haven't seen a single wheelie OR stoppie out of you yet. DSF...bah!

Snowman
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Ha, you didn't work turn 4 at the last race at HPR. Wheelies all the way down the straight.

nattynoo
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM

I think that's what racing is all about. Why dump a bunch of money into something that first off, you're not passionate about. And secondly, not able to truly compete? I want the skills to actually be able to do really well before I put my hard earned money upfront and race for a title.