PDA

View Full Version : What would get you onto a race grid?

chrobis
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM
DISCLAIMER: THERE IS NO ENDORSEMENT WHATSOEVER FROM THE MRA FOR THIS POLL OR RANKING

There are many in the MRA that would like to know if we can increase our ranks by addressing the concerns of curious street or track day riders. This thread is a follow-on to: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35404, where the cost of racing was seen as holding people back much more than the second choice, individual readiness. I created this poll to try and give me a handle on the value equation that is in your heads.

Since Preparedness was the second most popular vote from the other poll, I have come up with some options that
aren't either/or choices; they may all be important to you. Rank as many or as few of these as you care to and I will keep score of their relative weights.

a.) Relax rider prep to track day standards
b.) Relax bike prep to track day standards
c.) Restrict on-track behavior to lessen the drama (e.g., no passing on the inside of a corner)
d.) Assign a current racer to each first-timer as a big brother/sister
e.) Other (please describe)

Repsol a095
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I understand that the races can't be free, (although that would be perfect) but I think it would be more palatable if the price was closer to a track day. I also understand that people complain about the actual amount of time on the track during a race as well; therefore, I am thinking that maybe the classes could be shrunk so that the riders could get more practice time throughout the weekend. It would be great if there was one price like $200 for the weekend, and that price would include a good amount of time to practice and entry fees to three classes of racing. If there was something like this, I think that I may be able to swing it!!

chrobis
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Repsol -

To tell you the truth, I doubt if anything that gets past the rule making body will be more than a token opportunity to race; almost certainly not a group of races unless you and your bike qualify as MRA Novices. My idea here is to find out what it would take to get you to stick your toe in and say, "That's too cold", or "That feels good, sign me up for Novice".

I would (and have: http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9214&sid=4e4e234d5ba274fc2889e8abe3a90ada) personally advocate for limited track participation unless both the rider and the bike qualify for Novice status; more of a 'demonstration' class, to use the Olympics as a model.

racedk6
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I understand that the races can't be free, (although that would be perfect) but I think it would be more palatable if the price was closer to a track day. I also understand that people complain about the actual amount of time on the track during a race as well; therefore, I am thinking that maybe the classes could be shrunk so that the riders could get more practice time throughout the weekend. It would be great if there was one price like $200 for the weekend, and that price would include a good amount of time to practice and entry fees to three classes of racing. If there was something like this, I think that I may be able to swing it!!

I saw $200 for 3 races! Well what if I told you, you can run 4 sprint races and 1 endurance race for $280?

That would give you all practice sessions for Saturday. Two sprint races on Saturday. One 15 min. endurance practice and one 30 min endurance race. On Sunday you will have morning practice and 2 sprint races.

With all the practices and and races you should be getting close to 70 laps. That is more then you will do at a typical track day and you get the "true" competition!!

So it looks like you're in luck!

Repsol a095
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I saw $200 for 3 races! Well what if I told you, you can run 4 sprint races and 1 endurance race for $280?

That would give you all practice sessions for Saturday. Two sprint races on Saturday. One 15 min. endurance practice and one 30 min endurance race. On Sunday you will have morning practice and 2 sprint races.

With all the practices and and races you should be getting close to 70 laps. That is more then you will do at a typical track day and you get the "true" competition!!

So it looks like you're in luck!

I would love to see the schedule because I haven't seen anything close to that. The only thing that I have seen in the endurance races for about $50.

racedk6
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I would love to see the schedule because I haven't seen anything close to that. The only thing that I have seen in the endurance races for about $50.

Yeah last race round it cost me $230 to run both novice and amateur races. Add $50 for endurance and bam there you go!

The first race is $140 then $30 a race after that except for endurance and Race of the Rockies...

Here is the link for the race schedule from just this past year.
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=5398

BigE
Sun Sep 13th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Something that may help the MRA get some newbies is a type of gear loan system. Full leathers are a fairly big chunk of change for someone unsure of whether or not they want to race. Yea, I know that's "the gear" a serious rider should have in the canyons but be realistic. And fwiw, I'd consider myself a serious rider and I've never had leathers for the street, I don't like the power ranger look when off my bike at lunch. ;)

cromer611
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:46 AM
a.) Relax rider prep to track day standards
b.) Relax bike prep to track day standards
c.) Restrict on-track behavior to lessen the drama (e.g., no passing on the inside of a corner)
e.) Other (please describe)

I dont see any of these being able to happen, only D.
MRA already does a Recuit a Novice, and its not assigned. only those who want help.

relaxing rider/bike prep is just asking for trouble. who would want to race in a relaxed rider prep, i guess if you dont care about your body when it goes bouncing down the tarmac then have at it.
General checks to make sure bolts

c.) no passing on the inside means only passing on the outside? thats even worse.
example: 3 people are riding in a straight line behind each other , A.B.C. Rider A isnt too good at holding his line, Rider B and C are faster than rider A. Rider B and C line up to pass on the outside of rider A. Rider B comes flying by the nose of Rider A on the outside. Rider A is startled by the pass and stands up. Rider C is now leaned over and about to collide with Rider A.
Seen it before and is not pretty.

MetaLord 9
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
^^I'm with Cromer on this one. Part of the reason you race on the track vs. being stupid in the canyons is the safety factor. If I'm going to put my butt on a bike on the track and surround myself with other riders, I want to be good and sure that a. their bikes are tech spec'd and mechanically sound like mine so they don't go taking me out with loose parts, b. each rider cares enough about the race, their bike, and their dedication to getting faster safely so as not to run me off the road, c. that they've got as much skin, if not more, than I do in the game.

I can understand the push to sign up new racers and get folks to try it out, but, if I were to consider racings, personally, it would be because when get out on the track I know that everyone around me has a bike that's not going to go awry and take me out, everyone is thinking along the same mindset of getting faster safely and trying to win or at least place higher, and that we all have the same things at stake. Racing should cost money. Without a enough skin in the game, what's someone's motivation not to rider dangerously or even wrecklessly, especially is this is going to be their only race?

Also, when you start prohibiting what standard maneuvers are and are not permissable, you run the risk of turning racing into nascar.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Hole shots scare me to death. I'm not like Hopperstad.

PsychoMike
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM

this would be awesome. i feel out of the loop and a bit intimidated going into the mra not knowing anyone

Snowman
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
If the MRA is looking for new racers, then they shouldn’t have to look any further than Chicane Track Days.

Chicane runs a first rate operation. They continually bring in new riders. I see this from the large number of bikes each track day following instructors around the track. Every one of them is a potential new racer.

Chicane’s safety program for new riders has kept their accidents to a minimum. I have worked MRA races and have been to many Chicane events. IMO, Chicane not only has had fewer accidents, but fewer injures and damage to faculties. Now I’m not saying the MRA doesn’t run a safe operation, just of the two Chicane has the better safety record.

The bottom line is, if a rider can afford to do a Chicane Track Day, then the MRA should have a place for these riders in one of their events, same tech, same safety standards and same cost.

Make it easy for these riders to show up and race and let them decided how far they wish to go in the MRA.

eklew
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM

this would be awesome. i feel out of the loop and a bit intimidated going into the mra not knowing anyone

:dunno:What up Mike, you know me don't you???? I would have helped you out if you needed it. Hope to see you out there next year.

nwatkins
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
My last entry fee total was $285

Got 3 practices on Saturday Morning
Nov U
Nov o
Endurance Practice
middle weight endurance
heavy weight enduracne
two practices Sunday morning
Am u
amo

so that is two full track days. I was tired as hell, that comes to $142.50 for each day. Chicanne last charged $200 for a day. Which is cheaper?

No offencen to your price Scott, your orgainzation is very fairly priced for a track day at HPR, just showing the difference.

An open lapping day is $160 for the day. Racing is still the better deal....

64BonnieLass
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
+1 Neil. I support Chicane track days to the N'th degree. It is money VERY well spent for the safety, the instruction, and the quality of the program Scott runs. It's invaluable. And it's a gateway into the MRA in every single way I can think of. I also support spectating and anyone who wants to learn more about what goes into racing and the support you will receive.

However, people have to remember that a racing weekend is very different from a track day. The amount of hard energy that goes into those race days, both on and off the track, is just different. And for the money, the time you get on those race days is ample given your class preferences. It's exhausting and plenty of seat time. Not to mention, the experience is just unlike any other. It's just different, and not a fair comparison IMO.

PsychoMike
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
:dunno:What up Mike, you know me don't you???? I would have helped you out if you needed it. Hope to see you out there next year.

your always so distant lol.

nwatkins
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM
+1 Neil. I support Chicane track days to the N'th degree. It is money VERY well spent for the safety, the instruction, and the quality of the program Scott runs. It's invaluable. And it's a gateway into the MRA in every single way I can think of. I also support spectating and anyone who wants to learn more about what goes into racing and the support you will receive.

However, people have to remember that a racing weekend is very different from a track day. The amount of hard energy that goes into those race days, both on and off the track, is just different. And for the money, the time you get on those race days is ample given your class preferences. It's exhausting and plenty of seat time. Not to mention, the experience is just unlike any other. It's just different, and not a fair comparison IMO.

You are so right Terry. This was my first full year of racing after a decade of track days. I got so much more from racing and pushing myself. The friendships I have made in the pits is umbelievable. Plus me pushing to break 2 minutes is a lot different then riding in circles at a track day. I spent a metric shit of money this seaon. Was it worth it? Every damn penny. Racing once a month kept me sane. Now I gotta pay a credit card.

Snowman
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I agree to the money per number of laps ratio is a good one for a Saturday Event in the MRA. Who can beat $50 for all that seat time.

However, it seems to be the other two aspects that are the deal breaker to those I have talked to. Bike prep costs, getting racing license, and everything else they think they need to do to get to stared is very intimidating. I think this has more to do with informing people what it will take and how to go about it.

I know I’m having a hell of a time getting a to a school to qualify for my license. Ether I have the money and no one is putting one on or I find out they are when I have no money. This is my biggest stopping point right now.

It would have been nice to have a schedule of these schools so I could include one in my budget. I hate the idea of doing this in April under the conditions they had last year.

cromer611
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
However, it seems to be the other two aspects that are the deal breaker to those I have talked to. Bike prep costs, getting racing license, and everything else they think they need to do to get to stared is very intimidating. I think this has more to do with informing people what it will take and how to go about it.

I know I’m having a hell of a time getting a to a school to qualify for my license. Ether I have the money and no one is putting one on or I find out they are when I have no money. This is my biggest stopping point right now.

It would have been nice to have a schedule of these schools so I could include one in my budget. I hate the idea of doing this in April under the conditions they had last year.

the costs to prep your bike? you serious? ok... do you have a drill? check.... do you have drill bits? check.... do you have about a hour of time? check.... pull your lower radiator hose and refill it with water.... check. safety wire pliers and safety wire. check. brike prep done.

Aras 2009 zx6 took us 45mins to drain coolant/ drill and safety wire. it aint that big ofa deal. so no excuses to being lazy and paying someone to do it.

as far as the class goes, get marks number and call him. Dont wait to hear about a class, get the motivation to find out when the next class is and put the money down early. that way if you miss it, you have no one to blame but yourself.
you got 6months to get the school and license. stuff some money in the couch now for when you go digging for it later.

nwatkins
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:15 PM
the costs to prep your bike? you serious? ok... do you have a drill? check.... do you have drill bits? check.... do you have about a hour of time? check.... pull your lower radiator hose and refill it with water.... check. safety wire pliers and safety wire. check. brike prep done.

Aras 2009 zx6 took us 45mins to drain coolant/ drill and safety wire. it aint that big ofa deal. so no excuses to being lazy and paying someone to do it.

as far as the class goes, get marks number and call him. Dont wait to hear about a class, get the motivation to find out when the next class is and put the money down early. that way if you miss it, you have no one to blame but yourself.
you got 6months to get the school and license. stuff some money in the couch now for when you go digging for it later.

Cromer has a very good point. Don't worry about the suspension or other go fast parts. A stock bike is fine. Cromer ran circles around most everybody and he has a stock front end.

The generator- I am sure there are plenty of people to let you plug in tire warmers, I know I will when I am out there. Tires is the big part. But you would be buying those if you were doing trackdays anyways. Now you just need to get a belly pay, so an extra $500 bucks for a whole set of hotbodies. What else am I missing????

hcr25
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM

We did a MRA race cert school at the last Chicane track day at Pueblo a few weeks ago.
Mark Schellinger/ Vanmar Racing 303-944-0334
Can basically do MRA race certification year around. He is also the new rider director for the MRA give him a call he can tell your where,when and how much.

Mike

Devaclis
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Some people have no interest in riding with other people.

Some people have no interest in riding competitively with other people.

Some people have no interest in riding competitively with other people on a race track.

You have to have people that WANT to do these things before they even consider money, training, or any of the other things that come with riding on a race track. If you have people that WANT to do this, they will find a way to get out there.

I think what you are looking for is this:

Who WANTS to get on a race track, but has something preventing you from doing so. If so, what is it and if we could remove that obstacle, can we see you out there soon?

64BonnieLass
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I agree to the money per number of laps ratio is a good one for a Saturday Event in the MRA. Who can beat $50 for all that seat time.

I don't know if this is a reasonable thought for you or others, but if you KNOW this is what you want, then put a cookie jar on the table and save your pennies to get what you want.

In fact, I will even do it for you. Give me a buck each time I see you and BAM!!!, racing school. :) It'll be the Swiss-Italian Bank of Romaneschi. (totally tax free of course)

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I would love to race in 2010.. unfortunatly I will be playing in a sand box.. I will be aroudun in 2011 though. :)

OUTLAWD
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
^^I'm with Cromer on this one. Part of the reason you race on the track vs. being stupid in the canyons is the safety factor. If I'm going to put my butt on a bike on the track and surround myself with other riders, I want to be good and sure that a. their bikes are tech spec'd and mechanically sound like mine so they don't go taking me out with loose parts, b. each rider cares enough about the race, their bike, and their dedication to getting faster safely so as not to run me off the road, c. that they've got as much skin, if not more, than I do in the game.

I can understand the push to sign up new racers and get folks to try it out, but, if I were to consider racings, personally, it would be because when get out on the track I know that everyone around me has a bike that's not going to go awry and take me out, everyone is thinking along the same mindset of getting faster safely and trying to win or at least place higher, and that we all have the same things at stake. Racing should cost money. Without a enough skin in the game, what's someone's motivation not to rider dangerously or even wrecklessly, especially is this is going to be their only race?

Also, when you start prohibiting what standard maneuvers are and are not permissable, you run the risk of turning racing into nascar.

:imwithstupid:

Recently I have been talking to a number of racers about me getting out there on the grid, because pushing it in the canyons is just lame compared to the track, for multiple reasons. Almost everyone I talk to mentions this super street class or whatever, and I am not for it. If I decide to race, I am going to put forth the effort and prep my bike accordingly, being secure in the knowledge that everyone else has gone through the same efforts. worrying about oil on the track due to split factory case covers, no belly pans, etc. is something that I want to be at the bottom of the list of things running through my head as I am running around the track.

Yes, shit happens, but the more prepared you are for it when it hits, the better IMO.

This being said...I conviced myself (along with some encouraging word from others) yesterday that I am going to make an honest effort to get out there next year. I won't be the fastest guy out there, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?

so as of now, this is whats keeping ME from the grid
a) MRA school
2) AMA membership
c) case covers/bodywork/safety wire
4) tire warmers
e) a big brother/sister to show me the ropes :)
6) a CC with a sweet rewards program

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM
:imwithstupid:

Recently I have been talking to a number of racers about me getting out there on the grid, because pushing it in the canyons is just lame compared to the track, for multiple reasons. Almost everyone I talk to mentions this super street class or whatever, and I am not for it. If I decide to race, I am going to put forth the effort and prep my bike accordingly, being secure in the knowledge that everyone else has gone through the same efforts. worrying about oil on the track due to split factory case covers, no belly pans, etc. is something that I want to be at the bottom of the list of things running through my head as I am running around the track.

Yes, shit happens, but the more prepared you are for it when it hits, the better IMO.

This being said...I conviced myself (along with some encouraging word from others) yesterday that I am going to make an honest effort to get out there next year. I won't be the fastest guy out there, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?

so as of now, this is whats keeping ME from the grid
a) MRA school
2) AMA membership
c) case covers/bodywork/safety wire
4) tire warmers
e) a big brother/sister to show me the ropes :)
6) a CC with a sweet rewards program

All you really need is #6.. beacuse with that you can buy 1-5 :scramble:

Snowman
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Hey, you asked the question and I told you the perception I was hearing.

Now you can ether tell these people that they are lazy/stupid for not knowing what you know and not figuring it out for themselves, or you can get this information out there and change the perception. Your choice.

peromoto
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Pero Motorsports is going to be offering race bike prep during the off season to help get some new guys out there.

This would include:
Full bike safety wired
Coolant flushed and refilled with water wetter
Bodywork mounting
Performance part installs

Devaclis
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I did not read the MRA thread because this poll was not in it. I read this thread. My diligence with thread hopping only goes as far as trolling and thread jacking.

Sean
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I think for most people is gear and/or dedicated track bike. Most people don't have two bikes or want to try and convert their only street bike. The other thing, as stated in the other thread is cash. Neither of these two things the MRA can do much about.

For me, it's cash and lack of brass balls. I'm going to try and do a few next year. But I'll probably only run classes that have the fewest people. NOV U seems like a "rite of passage," but lining up on a 40 person/2 wave grid intimidates the shit out of me. I'm most likely to do endurance or sportsman to get my feet wet.

For your suggestions:
A and B could be possible if there were a "street" class during the weekend. I wouldn't bend the rules for other classes, it demeans them.

C. No way, I have a slow bike, that's the only time I passed people yesterday.

D. I think that's a good idea. But new riders should take the initiative also. I didn't know any racers last year, but now I've made a strong effort and I know a couple of them. It's a two way street.

racedk6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hey, you asked the question and I told you the perception I was hearing.

Now you can ether tell these people that they are lazy/stupid for not knowing what you know and not figuring it out for themselves, or you can get this information out there and change the perception. Your choice.

The thing is people that are interested rarely ask what it takes and how easy all of these things can be.

Also the general person trying to get into this sport thinks you have to have the latest and greatest equipment out there when you dont.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM
The thing is people that are interested rarely ask what it takes and how easy all of these things can be.

Also the general person trying to get into this sport thinks you have to have the latest and greatest equipment out there when you dont.

OK so I will ask.. what does it take? where is the best spot to get a step by step set up of how to get into racing? I know about the gear and what not. I need/want to know about the license, cost, etc.

dirkterrell
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM
But I'll probably only run classes that have the fewest people. NOV U seems like a "rite of passage," but lining up on a 40 person/2 wave grid intimidates the shit out of me. I'm most likely to do endurance or sportsman to get my feet wet.

I have proposed a restructuring of the novice classes to deal with this very issue. The idea is to have Nov-A, Nov-B and Nov-C instead of Sportsman, Nov-U and Nov-O and have lap time limits for Nov-A and Nov-B, like is currently done for Sportsman. The slowest riders would be eligible for Nov-A, faster riders for Nov-B and the fastest for Nov-C. Slower riders could ride in the faster classes if they wanted to.

I think this makes much more sense for the novice classes than doing them based on engine displacement, since lap times at this level are much more dependent on the rider than the bike. I'm curious what you and other potential new racers think of the idea.

Dirk

dirkterrell
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
OK so I will ask.. what does it take? where is the best spot to get a step by step set up of how to get into racing? I know about the gear and what not. I need/want to know about the license, cost, etc.

Vanmar Racing does a free day-long "intro to roadracing" clinic each winter before the season starts and it discusses all these issues. Joe (jplracing here) usually posts up about it. When I got back into racing last year, Rybo helped me get everything on the bike prepped. I am willing to do that for anybody that needs the help.

Dirk

Sean
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I think that's a better idea, Dirk. Didn't Mr. 611 win both NOV U and O on a 600? What is the point of 2 classes for beginners? Contingency $? A/B/C would be more welcoming to a newer rider, I think.

Sully
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Pero Motorsports is going to be offering race bike prep during the off season to help get some new guys out there.

This would include:
Full bike safety wired
Coolant flushed and refilled with water wetter
Bodywork mounting
Performance part installs

FYI - Other bikes shops already offer this as well. What will your cost be?

racedk6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM

The easiest place to find out all this information is on the mra website

http://www.mra-racing.org/

Snowman
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM

My point exactly, the wrong perception. This is what the MRA has to change if they want more riders to become interested.

Vanmar Racing does a free day-long "intro to roadracing" clinic each winter before the season starts and it discusses all these issues. Joe (jplracing here) usually posts up about it. When I got back into racing last year, Rybo helped me get everything on the bike prepped. I am willing to do that for anybody that needs the help.

Dirk And this class was very informative. Maybe a scaled down version can be put on at track days for those interested?

peromoto
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
FYI - Other bikes shops already offer this as well. What will your cost be?

We know other bike shops also offer this.

As we are just getting into the MRA scene we have not come up with a flat rate price to do so. Like any other job price will vary on how much work has to be done.

racedk6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
My point exactly, the wrong perception. This is what the MRA has to change if they want more riders to become interested.

It is hard to break peoples mind set that they dont have to have the best equipment to race. I have answered that question many times in the past and I think me a #611 have show cased it pretty well this season running on stock equipment.

I feel this problem will only be solved with repetativeness which means answering this question a thousand times over.

64BonnieLass
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM

I kinda disagree here. I hear you fully Randall and partially agree. However, I don't believe the MRA needs to be the body responsible for the change.

I believe in "rider responsibility". I have seen all shapes and sizes. Both on track days and race weekends. You can make it as inexpensive as you wish. An individual does not "need" a bunch of crap. It is the choice of the rider how much they choose to invest. The "stuff" is a "nice to have" concept, but it's not mandatory. A prepped bike is "mandatory". A generator, ez up, blah blah, is NOT mandatory. It's up to the individual.

I think the LOVE of the sport dictates your cash outlay. It has nothing to do with mandatory costs at some point. People make their own choices. Simple.

MRA 32
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
The super street bike class is coming to the MRA if it passes through the rule meeting and I think it will pass. Bike prep will be what the track requires and gear will be based on MRA rulebook (gear must me our requirements due to insurance). So this means a street bike can race! It will be run like endurance (30 minute race and a 15 minute practice for $50) You must be a current associate member, AMA member and pass a school. The class will not be scored and no trophies that is the incentive to move to the novice ranks. There will be no contengency either.

Jeff

Snowman
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I agree, the promotion of the MRA is up to it members / racers after al they are the faces of the organization.

OUTLAWD
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I have proposed a restructuring of the novice classes to deal with this very issue. The idea is to have Nov-A, Nov-B and Nov-C instead of Sportsman, Nov-U and Nov-O and have lap time limits for Nov-A and Nov-B, like is currently done for Sportsman. The slowest riders would be eligible for Nov-A, faster riders for Nov-B and the fastest for Nov-C. Slower riders could ride in the faster classes if they wanted to.

I think this makes much more sense for the novice classes than doing them based on engine displacement, since lap times at this level are much more dependent on the rider than the bike. I'm curious what you and other potential new racers think of the idea.

Dirk

:up:

This sounds like an awesome deal, as me and my big bad 750 get walked all over by Randall and his dirty girl...rider skill is the determining factor at this level far more than displacement.

Sign me up! And I may take you up on your offer Dirk...haha. word on the street is that you may know a bit about a 7fiddy

64BonnieLass
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:13 PM
The super street bike class is coming to the MRA if it passes through the rule meeting and I think it will pass. Bike prep will be what the track requires and gear will be based on MRA rulebook (gear must me our requirements due to insurance). So this means a street bike can race! It will be run like endurance (30 minute race and a 15 minute practice for $50) You must be a current associate member, AMA member and pass a school. The class will not be scored and no trophies that is the incentive to move to the novice ranks. There will be no contengency either.

Jeff

Good!! As long as safety and rules for everyone involved is not encroched upon. Then good. :)

Snowman
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM

DirkNice, idea..
Working your way up a ladder is much easier than jumping to the top of a building.
1. Track Days
2. Super Street Bike Class
3. Novice A
4. Novice B
5. Novice C
6. Etc…

nwatkins
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
the only thing that bugs with this is I will miss the sanity of NOV U. I do race Nov 0, and while it is fun, NOV U is a lot more fun. Nothing drives me nuts more then a rider with less skill blowing by me on the straight only to have an achor thrown out in the turns. Then I spend the next lap trying to pass then have that GSXR 1 BILLION go by me on the straight again. I know it is not all about displacement, but in Nov O i expect that, In Nov U I don't. Further a faster Novice will be punished for being fast and only be able to race in one Novice race. I like to race in two. That would piss me off if I timed out of one of my Saturday races..

Snowman
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
:up:This sounds like an awesome deal, as me and my big bad 750 get walked all over by Randall and his dirty girl...rider skill is the determining factor at this level far more than displacement.
Only if I can keep from losing my nuts… :)

64BonnieLass
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Only if I can keep from losing my nuts… :)

:cry: I miss my nuts!!! I miss mah dirty dirty. :cry: She was sooo dirty, but soooo fun too. Hey Randall, trade ya motors eh? (say yes, say yes) :)

hcr25
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Jeff

I dont think it will be a 30 minute race. My understanding is that it will be a 7 lap sprint type race. I could be wrong though.

McVaaahhh
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM
From most people, what I hear the most prohibitive is the cost.

Racing is very expensive to get into, especially if you don't have a suitable bike or a way to get it to the track. Not to mention the things you'll need once you get there. Sure, a lot of things can be borrowed, but you can't always count on that.

Upfront costs as far as I can see it:
Bike that's prepped. (If you have a suitable bike, say an R6 or something you're still looking at $500-$1000 to get it legal. Damper, Race bodywork with bellypan, what else?)
Legal gear (hopefully you've already go that, but otherwise anywhere from $500 up if you're starting from scratch)
Vehicle to get you and your stuff to the track (not everyone has a truck or a trailer)
Generator and warmers (not required, but would you race without them?) (another couple hundred each)
Race class: $300
AMA Membership: $40 (annual)
MRA Membership: $150 (annual)
Transponder: $250+ or $50/weekend rental

~$500/weekend for entry fees and expenses is what I hear from people.

Obviously corners can be cut here and there and you can just run endurance for $50, but why would you spend all the up-front costs to race just one race per weekend?

My numbers are just estimates from what I've heard from people and looking things up, but it certainly gives you an idea of what it'll take.

I can't wait to be out there next year. :D

jgixxer1
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I'm in for next season. I don't have deep pockets by any means. I can't afford tires every race weekend or even every other race weekend for that matter. I'm just gonna race my CR500 and TRY to keep up with Chuck...I got some work to do. I wish there was more of a supermoto class, but most of them are all tied up with the 5280 series.

Bueller
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'm in for next season. I don't have deep pockets by any means. I can't afford tires every race weekend or even every other race weekend for that matter. I'm just gonna race my CR500 and TRY to keep up with Chuck...I got some work to do. I wish there was more of a supermoto class, but most of them are all tied up with the 5280 series.
Watch out Chuck don't take you out:shocked:He rides like an jackass.

vort3xr6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I was just reading over the MRA rule book. What is the deal with the case guards? That would be an extra 500 bucks for woodcraft on both sides?

If you look at all the things you are required to have. It extends so much further than the track day, it puts it out of reach, PLUS the price to race is the SAME as a track day. It just doesn't make any sense. I could drive down to New Mexico and do a whole season at Arroyo Seco and spend less money.

racedk6
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I was just reading over the MRA rule book. What is the deal with the case guards? That would be an extra 500 bucks for woodcraft on both sides?

If you look at all the things you are required to have. It extends so much further than the track day, it puts it out of reach, PLUS the price to race is the SAME as a track day. It just doesn't make any sense. I could drive down to New Mexico and do a whole season at Arroyo Seco and spend less money.

You can get the woodcrafts or vortex ones for a hefty price. There is also the option of circuit one case covers and other other companies also offer options that bolt over you're existing cover.

AND there is also the option of getting case covers used like I did and saved 50% off retail.

Sean
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Transponder: $250+ or $50/weekend rental
Is this the going rate for renting a transponder?

Bueller
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
One thing they really don't tell you about in these cost senerios, has to do with your bike. If you wad your shit, and every one does, it can cost a shit ton to fix. If you cant afford to go out and throw your bike in the dumpster and walk away you shouldn't be racing that bike. If you still owe on your bike, you really really shouldn't race your bike.
Crashes are funny, sometimes you crash spectaularly and do very little damage, sometimes you dont get so lucky.

dirkterrell
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM
the only thing that bugs with this is I will miss the sanity of NOV U. I do race Nov 0, and while it is fun, NOV U is a lot more fun. Nothing drives me nuts more then a rider with less skill blowing by me on the straight only to have an achor thrown out in the turns. Then I spend the next lap trying to pass then have that GSXR 1 BILLION go by me on the straight again. I know it is not all about displacement, but in Nov O i expect that, In Nov U I don't.

Trust me. Being on a 750, I know exactly what you're talking about. :)

Further a faster Novice will be punished for being fast and only be able to race in one Novice race. I like to race in two. That would piss me off if I timed out of one of my Saturday races..

I should say that I came up with this idea based on Rybo's proposal of having novices run a second wave in classes like middleweight supersport, etc. The fastest guys would be able to run Nov-C and any other supersport/superbike classes they were eligible for under his proposal, so you would end up having more novice race choices than you currently do.

Dirk

sprtbkbabe
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Truly the economy sucks and this wouldn't even be proposed back when the Dow was good for everyone and everyone had jobs.

Ya can do this on the cheap, I'm finding. However, working in an insurance co, I noticed that it doesn't allow many even benefits these days. And for all racers, medical Insurance should be priced in on costs. Just for the "in case of's" IMO (Our own is awful, so I have "supplemental" as well)

Finding a way to help a fellow new racer is the best form of introducing new racers. Not everyone knows how to drill into a banjo bolt (I'm getting better, tho, Joe! LOL)

So, my question back on this is: How many racers from this season are AHEAD, or have even broken even? We all owe. Some people will find anyway to race, economic down times or not. But, it's just not feasible for everyone. So, finding a way to make it feasible may not work, MRA restructuring or not in these times...

OUTLAWD
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I am going to justify it by thinking that if I keep riding on the street like I am, I'll be in jail, and the bike will be impounded...this whole racing thing doesn't seem so expensive anymore.

At my current pace, I'll be spending about the same on tires (if I run take-offs) as I do now on street tires (so far I'm on 4, soon to be 5 sets of new tires this season). And I'm not counting all the other bike expenses, because I'd be riding reguardless, in the canyons, at IMI or at lapping days, and be putting fewer, albeit harder, miles on the bike. even if I just kept up with track days, I'd still get other bodywork and case covers in preparation for the inevitable mishap.

Like Drew said...if you want to do something bad enough, you will make sacrifices and do what needs to be done to make it happen.

dirkterrell
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Sign me up! And I may take you up on your offer Dirk...haha. word on the street is that you may know a bit about a 7fiddy

All I've ever raced are bikes in the 750-850cc range. :) And yep, bring 'er over and we'll get 'er all set up to make Ray-Ray happy.

Dirk

MRA 32
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Bueller is correct about crashing...and if you are not willing to light your bike on fire tomorrow than racing isn't for you. But you (Bueller) pushed my buttons with the stab at Chuck! I have raced with Chuck close for years and never had an issue. Bueller you seem a little negative towards the MRA but hey talk is cheap if you were worth a sh!t you would be out at the track instead of acting like you are something!

Jeff

rybo
Wed Sep 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Bueller is correct about crashing...and if you are not willing to light your bike on fire tomorrow than racing isn't for you. But you (Bueller) pushed my buttons with the stab at Chuck! I have raced with Chuck close for years and never had an issue. Bueller you seem a little negative towards the MRA but hey talk is cheap if you were worth a sh!t you would be out at the track instead of acting like you are something!

Jeff

Jeff,

Dave raced in the MRA in 04/05 and actually went around pretty well.

s

Autom8ed
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I wonder if running a particular MRA class like wsbk or motogp with only 1 specific tire choice would help with the cost some. Maybe getting some sort of sponsorship deal with that brand and offer the tires through the MRA at a discount would make one of the biggest ongoing cost of racing more sustainable for most.

If they could chose a relatively inexpensive tire that lasts longer.. say the bt016 or equivalent and require racers to use them for a minimum of X races or race weekends, that would bring the cost down even more.

I know tires are only a part of the entire financial picture but its one less major recurring expense.

Autom8ed
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Just throwing out another idea.. but I wonder if a sort of bike transportation service would help some get started.

For a nominal fee, the MRA could get a large trailer and offer transportation service to the track and back (maybe day before pickup and day after drop off) for people who don't own a trailer and hitch.

If money was tight and I was looking at getting into racing, I know i'd rather pay a small fee one race weekend at a time vs. having to buy a lot of expensive hardware before even the first race.

Just a thought.

Bueller
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Jeff
He took both of us out ridin' a little too close, which ended up pretty much totaling my race bike. I am not impressed with his technique.
I just gave him the warning, like others gave me, albeit after the fact.
Maybe he has changed his style in the last few years.

I have raced at several levels and disciplines over many years, I am presenting the non-MRA side of racing, something people should consider. I am not negative toward racing, I liked racing, but this has turned into a pledge drive to recruit everyone and anyone with promises of glory. Just because I present a shot of reality doesn't make me unpatriotic.

dragos13
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 07:05 AM
He took both of us out ridin' a little too close, which ended up pretty much totaling my race bike. I am not impressed with his technique.

I have raced at several levels and disciplines over many years, I am presenting the non-MRA side of racing, something people should consider. I am not negative toward racing, I liked racing, but this has turned into a pledge drive to recruit everyone and anyone with promises of glory. Just because I present a shot of reality doesn't make me unpatriotic.

In my measly 3 years of racing I have crashed probably a dozen of times. The most expensive part I ever had to replace was a lower triple, and an attack rearset. Saying that you need to be willing to toss your bike in the dumpster and walk away is a little extreme. Even after the crash at the last race which resulted a bike catching on fire after a hard spill, it still wasn't a total loss.

Should you be prepared to crash, absolutely. Will a crash leave you with a bike that is not worth a penny, never that I have seen.

Racing is expensive and its not for everyone. Some people do better carving the canyons, hitting local trackdays, or keeping it in the dirt. To each their own. We (the MRA) are obviously trying to recruit more riders. I dont see a problem with trying to expand an amazing club. I also dont see any brainwashing BS telling people that racing is for everyone. It costs money and requires dedication and passion to compete at any level, in any sport.

So yeah crashing is possible. And yes, racing is expensive. Does everyone "wad their shit". I would have to say no on that one.

Bueller, if the MRA isn't for you then why so many negative comments in the MRA section of this forum?

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I think Dave is just providing an alternate point of view, which keeps the debate from being one sided. I'd rather come to racing having properly weighed the pros & cons of the investment instead of seeing nothing but roses. There are a lot of aspects to racing that folks might not consider and a lot of roadblocks that need to be dealt with before gridding up (i.e. pay the bike off).

While I would like to race some day, I'm nowhere near that point and an alternate point of view is a little refreshing since some of what I've been reading in this thread makes me feel like I have to defend why I'm not racing like it's a foregone conclusion that "because I ride, I race."

I think what the MRA is doing in coming to the people is a great idea and I wish you guys well, but think back to when you started riding and ask yourselves what finally got you onto the grid, what you wish you would've known all those years ago, and, if someone were posting a thread like this one, would it encourage you to race or discourage you?

Dizzy D
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM
While I would like to race some day, I'm nowhere near that point and an alternate point of view is a little refreshing since some of what I've been reading in this thread makes me feel like I have to defend why I'm not racing like it's a foregone conclusion that "because I ride, I race."

I think what the MRA is doing in coming to the people is a great idea and I wish you guys well, but think back to when you started riding and ask yourselves what finally got you onto the grid, what you wish you would've known all those years ago, and, if someone were posting a thread like this one, would it encourage you to race or discourage you?

This is one of the most well said comments I have read so far in the MRA financial debate. Thanks!

konichd
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM
If only they had a Super-Heavyweight endurance class with limited gear :(

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww125/303cycle/IMG_1381.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I wanna race CAN-AM class FTMFW!!

64BonnieLass
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
One thing they really don't tell you about in these cost senerios, has to do with your bike. If you wad your shit, and every one does....

Does not!!! :)

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
a rental bike class would be amazing! boost DK's business, and racers wouldn't have to shell out the $$$ for a bike. So Dave, when can I rent a bike....:)

Snowman
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Yea, and we can run them in a figure 8...
Now thats entertainment...

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Yea, and we can run them in a figure 8...
Now thats entertainment...

Haha.

I think I'll see where I'm at after another season of chicane trackdays, during which I will probably start buying up some bit of pieces of things I want in a race pit. Then, hopefully I'll be ready to give it a shot in '11. Already have the woman's blessing! (:lol:)

konichd
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I got your deposit, hopefully luck is with you in the figure 8 race ;)

Bueller
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Bueller, if the MRA isn't for you then why so many negative comments in the MRA section of this forum?
I was wondering when one of the MRA members would play the "negative" card. I am not negative, I am presenting the other side, the realities of racing. It isn't your speel so you take it as an attack against your organization. I tell people the good and the downsides of things when I sell something. You guys are taking care of all the positive points, I am just presenting the other side from someone who has been there. If you all want to get butthurt over it so be it.

talk is cheap if you were worth a sh!t you would be out at the track instead of acting like you are something!
But what the hell do I know, since I am not a racer, I am not worth a shit:)

dragos13
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I was wondering when one of the MRA members would play the "negative" card. I am not negative, I am presenting the other side, the realities of racing. It isn't your speel so you take it as an attack against your organization. I tell people the good and the downsides of things when I sell something. You guys are taking care of all the positive points, I am just presenting the other side from someone who has been there. If you all want to get butthurt over it so be it.

I'm not playing "the negative card" against you. If you had quoted my entire post you would see that I agree:

1. Racing is not for everyone
2. Racing is expensive
3. Crashing does happen

What makes your "shot of reality" accurate and true? What positive aspects have you stated? What personal experience do you have with the MRA? I'm asking this in a genuine sense because honestly I dont know you or what you have done in life. I'm not trying to attack your opinion, only seeing what you have to back it up. If you used to race with the MRA, please tell us about it.

The last thing I'm trying to do is to get the broke college kids into racing. Why waste the time and money into something you dont have passion for? I am simply going against the negative "its too expensive and you'll wad your bike" idea because that simply isn't true.

If you have the will, there is a way! Some have it, and some don't. I only want the riders who have the will to grid up on a race and experience the MOST intense riding I have, personally, ever experienced. Never will I say all riders should race. It just isn't in the card for alot of people. Instead, we are here presenting the real facts about racing, from riders who DO race in the MRA, and have first hand experience. I do appreciate all sides of the story and I will never act like this sport is something that it is not.

Black Phantom
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM

I guess I'm SOL then, no one makes case guards for my bike. I was really planing on racing next year but with the lack of racing products for my bike I guess I'll just keep it to track days unless I get something else :(

dragos13
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I guess I'm SOL then, no one makes case guards for my bike. I was really planing on racing next year but with the lack of racing products for my bike I guess I'll just keep it to track days unless I get something else :(

What bike are you talking about?

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM

i am assuming the S3...

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
From what I had read in the rules (IIR), you only needed the case guards if they were produced for your model.

Slo
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Bueller does point out some good "alternative views" in this thread, but yeah, watching other MRA members getting into a debate with him is expected. Just like any other thread brought on by the MRA regarding racing.

On another note.... Before I joined the MRA, Bueller (dave) himself for about a year straight, gave nothing but encouragement and advice on a weekly basis to go get into the MRA. He did talk to me and several others and the following season we gave it a shot....

So he does promote the MRA somewhat, you just don't see it on these threads all the time.

kawasakirob
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 01:48 PM
A well paying Job, Health Insurance, Graduating from School

Black Phantom
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM
What bike are you talking about?

OUTLAWD is correct, it's the speed triple. I already spend good amount of $$ to make it track worthy, other wise I'd turn the TL into a race bike. The only things I can find for my bike is a stator slider and clutch.

Dang, I was looking forward to racing. I gotta see what I can do now.

MRA 32
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Bueller your comments got very personal to me when you made your comment about Chuck. You have made very direct insults at MRA members and Chuck is a good friend of mine. You do have good viewpoints about the downsides to racing....just stop insulting good people.

Jeff

racedk6
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM
What makes your "shot of reality" accurate and true? What positive aspects have you stated? What personal experience do you have with the MRA? I'm asking this in a genuine sense because honestly I dont know you or what you have done in life. I'm not trying to attack your opinion, only seeing what you have to back it up. If you used to race with the MRA, please tell us about it.

I want to hear this as well. The only thing I know is you dont get along with Glenn. I wanna hear your experience of racing, what you gained from it and why you quit. Maybe then we might have an insight on your negativity.

Valguard
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Like Drew said...if you want to do something bad enough, you will make sacrifices and do what needs to be done to make it happen.

Whoever said it first, doesn't matter, we can all agree with this.

Its all about building community. Not an exclusive community, but an inclusive one. That's how barriers are torn down. Once the barriers are gone, there is nothing but possibility. Your bother can't just be the one on the track, he has to also be the one in the stands that just showed up to check it out one Saturday. Build relationships, build community, build it and they will come.

You cant just cater to the masses. Sure some, but there has to be some real involvement. If someone has an interest, talk to them. Find out what THEY need and help them achieve it. "You need help safety wiring? Let me know when I can come over and Ill show you". That does a lot more than, "Um..google it." or "Uh, go read this." because you build community.

Spectators are important too. Those are your future racers. Plus, money coming in from spectating could be passed to savings for the racers or better facilities to attract more people.

If someone is new out to the track, make them feel welcome and involved in the race. Pamphlets of rules for racing, and rules of the racetrack, what the flags mean, how the races are done, what a "line" is, so that spectators can understand what they are watching. People watch racing not to just see things go fast. That gets old. People want to be involved. Who one last year? Who is the fastest? Who is a hot contender? Excited and enthusiastic announcers can add a lot to a race too. Do you think NASCAR is so popular because its the best racing around? Um, no. Its because NASCAR did an excellent job of making people feel involved and being a part of something big.

So, you want to bring people to the races and get more people out on the track? Building community and atmosphere is going to do more than lowering prices. Look around, the things that succeed and grow do just that.

Like Drew said..."if you want to do something bad enough, you will make sacrifices and do what needs to be done to make it happen." People want to be involved in something. Give them something to be involved in. Not just a race but a community and belonging as well.

just my $.02

MRA 32
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Valguard, now that was the best post I have read yet! Those are my thoughts as well. The MRA race weekend should not be a bunch of guys/gals out racing and just be our own little group; instead each race weekend should be an EVENT. With a super street class that CSC riders can ride in AND get exposure to racers. Plus us racers get to be involved with CSC members too. I agree that we all need to take steps to make a better effort.

Jeff

cromer611
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Bueller does point out some good "alternative views" in this thread, but yeah, watching other MRA members getting into a debate with him is expected. Just like any other thread brought on by the MRA regarding racing.

On another note.... Before I joined the MRA, Bueller (dave) himself for about a year straight, gave nothing but encouragement and advice on a weekly basis to go get into the MRA. He did talk to me and several others and the following season we gave it a shot....

So he does promote the MRA somewhat, you just don't see it on these threads all the time.

i guess old flames eventually burn out, and all thats left is that old assh.
Ive heard nothin but negativity as well, not to mention he made a mockery out of tha MRA's financial problems.
.....hit it and quit it huh?
... so
"he used to promote the MRA, You just see alot of grumpy burned out road racer talk on these threads all the time."
.. there, i fixed it for you.
lol. im just messin.

cromer611
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 12:18 AM

I have raced at several levels and disciplines over many years,

so if you have so many levels and diciplines under yer belt then how did someone "ridin a little too close" cause you to wad your bike up?

dragos13
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 06:29 AM
OUTLAWD is correct, it's the speed triple. I already spend good amount of $$ to make it track worthy, other wise I'd turn the TL into a race bike. The only things I can find for my bike is a stator slider and clutch.

Dang, I was looking forward to racing. I gotta see what I can do now.

You have alot of options man, dont give up based on case covers.

If they dont produce them for your bike, you can have additional metal welded to the existing case. You can also fabricate a bracket that would connect on the case cover mount bolts and go across the cover itself. If you need help send me a PM and I will try to dig up some pictures. You might also want to hit up RayRay on the MRA forums and see what he says to do (he is the VP of Rules and Tech).

ScottieFlan
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM
As several other people have said a mentor would be awesome for me. My 1st track day was 9/13 with chicane and I learned a ton. I'd love to be racing with the mra in the near future but I'm going to need some more one on one instruction to get faster. It would also be cool having someone to help me through the process of getting started.

dragos13
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM
As several other people have said a mentor would be awesome for me. My 1st track day was 9/13 with chicane and I learned a ton. I'd love to be racing with the mra in the near future but I'm going to need some more one on one instruction to get faster. It would also be cool having someone to help me through the process of getting started.

Send me a PM with any questions you might have. Team Young Blood has helped sponsor new riders each year with great success. You can pit with us, we'll help you through the race day procedure, when to register, tech, where to go etc. If you are serious about racing in 2010, that is where you will get your speed :)

jplracing
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM
While on the note of chicane days and racing in general, I'd like to take this time to apologize personally and publicly to Joe (JPLracing). Sorry I fucked up the rider coach gig. It's been bothering me for a little while that I was the cause of that, and my most sincere of apologies for being a fucktard.

ummm...what the hell are you talking about? I have been coaching new track riders long before you were around and will be doing so (hopefully) long into future. The only thing I can think of is when you took off on me and another student...????

The only reason I have not been at the last two Chicane events is the one in August I had a prior commitment (black sabbath concert tickets) and the one is Sept I sold my bike the week prior due to financial issues......its fun being out of work!

On a side note, Scott and I have spoken many times since your incident and through out the summer on many topics...if I have been removed off the instructor list....it is news to me

Tim K
Thu Oct 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'm one of those prospective new racers you are all discussing. In my case, the money and bike prep are not the issues because I just bought a used race bike. It was ridden right up through the end of last season, so all that stuff is already done.

What's holding me up is simple inexperience. I've done 4 or 5 trackdays now, and while I'm getting faster, it's happening pretty slowly. The problem for me is that there is no ready and affordable way to get quality instruction. Scott's coaches at the Chicane days are great, and I managed to get 20 minutes with one of them last time out. I learned a lot in that little lesson, but what I really need is an instructors undivided attention for a day or two. I hear some of the same comments in the pits from guys in similar situations as myself.

I'd say that if you really want to encourage participation, you should figure out how to get those of us with an interest some help. For example, if the MRA were to host or tag on to a track day and show up with enough coaches that one coach could ride all day with one or two serious prospects, I think it would go a long way to getting those of us who are interested but slow, up to speed.

It's likely that I'll race someday. That's my goal and I'll keep plodding forward trying to get there. Until I get my skill level up to a point where I don't feel like a hazard on the track, I won't even consider it. If I have to learn it all on my own or with the hit-and-miss help of the Chicane coaches, it's going to take a while. With a little help, I'll get there faster.

Before someone mentions that I could go to some big riding school (Keith Code or whatever), that's an obvious but expensive option. I'm near the edge of my budget as it is now even with a very inexpensive race bike and a bunch of used gear.

cromer611
Thu Oct 1st, 2009, 03:37 PM
I would contact Tammy & or Mark, mark will give you one on one time and it helps a ton!

hcr25
Thu Oct 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Mark is the new rider director for the MRA. He is basically our boss as instructors during the MRA race schools. He also does track newb to advanced racer instruction outside of the MRA. He offers one on one or small groups. He also has on bike video camera. This really helps show what you are doing right and wrong, real time at the track. You go out and do a track session and watch the video in the pits.

He is a past number 1 plate holder in the MRA, has raced AMA nationals and done very well. He truly loves to teach and is very good at it.
I have been racing for 14 years and I highly recommend taking a class with Mark.

Mike