PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for Monarch Pass

Wrider
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Went down for the first time today... Was riding a friend's 99 Vulcan 750 back to gunnison for him... Going down Monarch pass the bike started fishtailing hard. I went to brake, slowed down a bit, and went to lean into the next corner... Bike wouldn't lean enough and I went into a guard rail on the right side at about 40 mph. Broke my 5th 3rd metatarsal (pinky bone inside the hand) and stretched the ligaments in my right knee enough that it can dislocate itself with gravity. Other than that I'm ok. Riding jacket worn clear through on one arm. Helmet barely tapped, both are getting replaced. Anyway, ATGATT FTMFW.

willb003
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:12 AM
damn sorry to here that.

slayermd
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Holy shit dude! I rode up Monarch coming from Gunnison today after it had rained and it was very slippery.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Are you going to have to have surgery on your knee now?

asp_125
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Independence was slippery too yesterday. Something about the cool temps and the old pavement they have.

Mental
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Recover quick and thanks for the warning

Wrider
Mon Sep 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the good wishes. If you ride over Monarch going west, be very careful, there's an antifreeze pool in the road on one of the left handers on the west side (downhill).

As for surgery I don't know. I don't think so but I'll know when I meet up with the orthopedic surgeon.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Sorry to hear it. glad you're ok and heal up soon!