PDA

View Full Version : Springs

HOTCARCASS
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM
There are a few things stock springs are, generally speaking. Each with it's inherent problems.
1. Inadequate
2. Heavier then aftermarket.
3. Longer then aftermarket.
- Inadequate Springs simply means it's to heavy or to light for your weight. Manufacturers have a way of picking springs and valving that is truly bazaar. Often times Forks come from the factory undersprung and over valved the adverse is common as well. Either Combonation will result in tunning problems. The idea is to match your valving and spring to the individual and type of riding. I see crazy combination of valving and springs from every suspension manufacturer!
- Stock springs are generally not as high quality as aftermarket ones. If you spend $$$$s' on a set of forks chances are the springs are very good, but no guarantee. What makes a one spring better then another is simple. The better spring performs the same with less material. Also the better spring will never "pack" no matter how many time it bottoms out.
The biggest thing to understand with aftermarket springs is lighter means less volume wich needs to be compensated for with higher oil levels to obtain proper level.
- After Market springs are usually shorter then stock. This not only creates an oil volume issue it creates a preload issue. How much preload is a tunner trying to achieve? This depends on the sag number your trying to achieve. Valving, Oil and Preload all contribute to sag. How much sag does each mm I cut off the spacer create? Hmmm, front end sag is a critical number that effects trail at both ends. 15mm front sag and 35 rear sag may be exactly what your looking for or maybe not, only testing can determine that.
Good luck out there!!! Testing is the fun part. I'm available 7 days a week to answer questions.