PDA

View Full Version : Intro racing class

MRA 32
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM
This has been talked about in the racing discussions on the forums and I wanted to get a feel for what the northies think. The MRA is proposing a super street bike class. Bike prep is simple: whatever the track requires (tape off lights, no antifreeze, & no mirrors). Rider: gear would have to be 1 or 2 piece leathers with a commercial back protector, no more than 5 year old helmet, gloves and boots. Cost would be $50 for one class and $75 total for both classes (GTO and GTU). Each class will be run endurance style meaning a 30 minute race, and a free 15 minute practice. Other costs, and these are both insurance requirements: around $300 for the race school (one time fee) and yearly AMA membership @ $40. You would have to have a yearly membership to the MRA at a cost around $100. So it would cost more the first year due to the race school but otherwise it isn't bad and the $50 class fees are cheap. The class will not be scored or have a championship along with no contingency. It would be a cool class for those who want a taste of racing; without all the costs to build or buy a race bike only to find you don't want to do it. Otherwise it is a safe and better alternative to getting into trouble in the canyons.

Please post your thoughts and questions. This is going to be discussed at the rules meeting in late October and I need to get feed back to help with the argument for this class which has alot of support as is.

And

I plan on adopting as many northies as possible in this class...which means I will help with race day procedures, (if I have room) transportation to and from the track. I don't want people wandering around lost. So I am offering my help to all of those interested.

Thanks, Jeff Winter MRA # 927

mtnairlover
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Welp, as a former northie, I'm still interested.

Oh, but not sure what race "boats" are. I'll have to see where I can pick up a pair of those.;)

Anyhoo, yeah...I've thought about racing. I've said it before, but I just don't have the kind of cash that it would take to go full bore into it. Also, I'm kinda on the old side...so, I don't think I'd do it every season starting out in 2010...just not really that practical (body-wise).

But, I do want the experience a whole bunch...even if it means taking my street bike to the track.

Paying for the class seems fair and most definitely helpful.

I know the opinions of others I've ridden with and who do track days. And like I've said before, if I had the cash, I'd do full race everything, just that I don't have the cash, but so want the experience. I guess you could compare it to some sort of community sport league in a sense.

Ok, opinionating done.:)

MRA 32
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Cathy, sorry I can't spell this late at night, I changed it to read "boots" instead of "boats".ha ha ha.

mtnairlover
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
tee hee...boats would be fun to try and find, too...

I don't know if being purely selfish about the whole thing is worth including my opinion. I mean, my reasoning really is completely selfish, but then again...

I guess if the MRA wanted to attract more racers, to me, this seems like one very viable alternative. If you look at sports leagues, that's the way other sports tend to go. You've got the community sports leagues, school sports, minors and majors. Every league has rules and regs and every league takes things seriously...ie, safety, equipment, etc. The lower the league, the less $$$ spent on equipment, but you still have rules, regs and safety being part of the competition.

Not sure if all of that makes sense, but it's just the way I see it.

sky_blue
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Reading through all the MRA threads lately I've been thinking a lot about what it would take to get me onto a race grid. I had toyed with the idea of racing this last season, but work made the decision for me by putting me in the field in other states all summer.

The issues for me are:

1. Cost. The biggest factor for most people I think. With the economy as it is right now, it's a no-brainer. I don't have the money. I won't take on debt to race. I know I can mooch equipment and go frugal-style, and that may be an option at some point.

2. Bike. I don't have a race bike. I don't have money to buy one. I am not racing my street bike. What if I crash? Then I wreck my street bike. I don't like the sound of that. And yes-I do track days on my street bike. The difference is my insurance covers the bike on a track day, it dosen't cover a license-requiring, timed race.

3. Motivation. I love riding. I love riding everywhere. I love the track. Hell I'm happy in a straight line on I-25. I'm easy. But man oh man do I get tired of wrenching. It still takes me a half hour to get my fairings off and I hate it. I hate flushing coolant. I hate putting my back wheel on. I hate taking the wheels off. If I could show up at the track to a race-ready bike, ride, then go home I would be all over that. And maybe I could do that if my last name started with "S" and rhymed with bees.

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Refer to this for my long winded thoughts: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=510894#post510894

chad23
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I would be game. I have almost everything I need to go out and play. the only thing that gets in my way is I work on Sundays. I have the trailer, gear, and other stuff. but it all comes down to $$$ and this idea helps alot. PM me and I would love to sit down with you and talk more about.

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I am going to do my best to take advantage of your offer Jeff. I'm not sure if racing is honestly in the cards for next season, but over the winter I am going to prep the bike, so I'll have a 'track' bike to do Chicane days and lapping days on, and try to get a trailer so I can stop loading all my tools into a backpack...

I have alot to work on before I'd consider myself ready to race, yes I have the gear and the bike, but I need to fine-tune my skill-set and get my head into it...like others were mentioning in the other threads, I need that extra bit of determination to motivate me to fight for position.

Regardless of if I end up racing next year, I will definately be at the track more getting my lean on, and am going to try to make it to the races, even if it's just to work corners, and hopefully make connections for when I do decide i am ready to step up...

chad23
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
DaveI will buddy up with you. we could be "team clean the nondirty riders". but for reals if this is does happen and we both have interest we should team up. I already have the trailer with 2 chock in it. and if we put our resources together we can cut some of the cost

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Don't be limiting this to the Northies, I'm totally interested!!! LOL

Tipys
Thu Sep 17th, 2009, 09:57 PM
DaveI will buddy up with you. we could be "team clean the nondirty riders". but for reals if this is does happen and we both have interest we should team up. I already have the trailer with 2 chock in it. and if we put our resources together we can cut some of the cost

Clean North
Dirty South

Ya that works

matt2778
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 12:51 PM
This has been talked about in the racing discussions on the forums and I wanted to get a feel for what the northies think. The MRA is proposing a super street bike class. Bike prep is simple: whatever the track requires (tape off lights, no antifreeze, & no mirrors). Rider: gear would have to be 1 or 2 piece leathers with a commercial back protector, no more than 5 year old helmet, gloves and boots. Cost would be $50 for one class and $75 total for both classes (GTO and GTU). Each class will be run endurance style meaning a 30 minute race, and a free 15 minute practice. Other costs, and these are both insurance requirements: around $300 for the race school (one time fee) and yearly AMA membership @ $40. You would have to have a yearly membership to the MRA at a cost around $100. So it would cost more the first year due to the race school but otherwise it isn't bad and the $50 class fees are cheap. The class will not be scored or have a championship along with no contingency. It would be a cool class for those who want a taste of racing; without all the costs to build or buy a race bike only to find you don't want to do it. Otherwise it is a safe and better alternative to getting into trouble in the canyons.

Please post your thoughts and questions. This is going to be discussed at the rules meeting in late October and I need to get feed back to help with the argument for this class which has alot of support as is.

And

I plan on adopting as many northies as possible in this class...which means I will help with race day procedures, (if I have room) transportation to and from the track. I don't want people wandering around lost. So I am offering my help to all of those interested.

Thanks, Jeff Winter MRA # 927

So everything is the same for racing endurance except the bike prep?

kevplus2
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
now that i will have my weekends back i think i am interested.

MRA 32
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 05:48 PM
This is the response I was hoping for! Being I live in Greality I am starting with the northies so...please nobody south or west get offended. My invitation is open to anyone! I received very little help when I started in the MRA and I just figured it out on my own. I KNOW how it feels to be a little ovewhelmed by the pace of a race day. I want to help any or all that need it. Super Street Bike class opens the door for this help.

When I started in the MRA in '03 I wasn't consistant and didn't race much. To make a long story short I would have participated more in a street bike class the first couple of years and it might have actually helped me be more prepared for actual racing. I really think the vast majority will not move into the novice ranks, but stay in the SSB class and have a damn good time.

Jeff

OUTLAWD
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 07:13 PM
question...could a noob feasibly run a track prepped bike in say superstreet and the endurance races??? Or would the SS class be limited to street-going bikes only?

MRA 32
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Dave, I don't see a problem with you riding all the endurance races plus SSB. That would make for a long afternoon! Hell I can't get off my bike for a few minutes after finishing an endurance race, so if you want that much track time back to back to back than good luck.

Jeff

co750
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
question...could a noob feasibly run a track prepped bike in say superstreet and the endurance races??? Or would the SS class be limited to street-going bikes only?
The only thing that might limit your participation is the rules for the SSB class and what will be allowed.

This is being discussed on the MRA boards right now so if you are seriously thinking of participating it would be good to give your input on those discussions.

I've mentioned this in other posts as well, but I am willing to help out anybody that might be getting into racing next year. Doesn't matter if it is helping to safety wire a bike, or sharing a pit and plug in on race day, just hit me up. As of now I'm using the bed of my truck to haul the bike so can't help much there, but if I get a trailer over the winter that will be available as well. Since I'm WAAAY up north, just about everywhere is "on the way" to the track.

BeoBe
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM
hey jeff i need to get ahold of you and catch up.. lemme know if your number has changed at all

whitebrad
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 04:54 AM
interested...
just don't know how to make it work, but am as interested as it gets... now how to get the wife on board!