PDA

View Full Version : Strictly Track?

675Rider
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM
How many of you ONLY ride the track? Or only ride your sportbike on the track and something less performance oriented on the street?

I am just wondering because I find myself wanting to only ride the track more and more each year. The street is becoming less and less appealing to me. I guess it started in the summer of '07 I watched a very close friend of mine get run over by an SUV right in front of me and Ive witnessed several people badly injured on the street. Im married and have a daughter to think about and Im so paranoid about street riding its hardly fun anymore. I rarely see anyone badly injured or bikes totalled at the track.

Just wondering some of your thoughts. Thanks.

Zach929rr
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I have found myself riding less and less on the street during the past few months. Probably went from 2-3 canyon rides a week when I got the bike in March to maybe 1 a week now. Love me some track time.

dragos13
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I started riding on the street in 05 on an 02 F4i. By 06, I had already lost one friend and had another seriously injured, loosing his right leg. I started doing trackdays on an F3 that I got for a grand during the end of 06. I sold my street bike and was racing with the MRA in April 07. I have never looked back. Track only for me because you just can't be a good enough rider on the street to avoid all possibilities. To me, its more enjoyable and I'm able to really push my limits. I have thought about getting back on the street but I dont think its something I will ever do. IMO, just too scary and no longer that enjoyable. I borrowed a friends bike in 07 to ride the canyons, and I found myself having no fun.

RajunCajun
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I've never ridden on a track and really want to, but I don't think I'll ever give up street riding. It's the ability to get out and ride to new places and see amazing views and meet new people along the way, that makes me love riding. Granted, I don't have any children, or a wife. Just riding track, wouldn't be "riding" to me....

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I havent been on the street at all this year and miss doing some rides but dont miss riding to work or in the city anywhere one bit. I love the feeling of throwing my leg over the bike and be able to go ride to my limit and really push. Just cant do that on the street with out more foul shit happing.
Now just cause your at the track doesnt mean you cant wad up a bike. It happens and so does getting hurt from time to time.

675Rider
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Cajun, Yeah thats the part I would miss of street riding, but the track is the beez neez man. If you like to see what you and your machine can do thats the place to do it.

N1, yeah I know theres always risk, but its more of a calculated risk...I feel.

RajunCajun
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I can't really say you shouldn't give up street riding, I've seen buds go down and get hurt, some bad:( I think it comes down to how much you are willing to risk to feed your fix. For me right now, street is safe enough and still super enjoyable. I can understand how it would be different for others. Who knows, but maybe when I finally do get some track time, things will change a bit for me too.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'm without a bike right now. If and when I get another, it'll only be on the track.

Sean
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I love riding the track, but I still love riding the street. Hell, I just love riding. I've been doing track days for two years now and riding the street for three; there is nothing that compares. I commute everyday on the bike and still do rides on my lunch break or after work. I even do a canyon ride every now and then, but there's only a couple people I really enjoy riding with. For me it is two completely opposite mind sets. One is getting your knee down in a corner and the other is enjoying beautiful Colorado. I don't go fast on the street, but I still love it.

I find it best to have a cheap street bike and a cheap track bike.

rforsythe
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I have a dual sport for the street now, I really only ride sportbikes on the track anymore.

eklew
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I don't go fast on the street, but I still love it.

But you also don't go fast on the track either!!!! j/k man.
I also only ride on the track now. I no longer have a street bike but I do love riding the scooter around town!!!

Sean
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
But you also don't go fast on the track either!!!!At least I'm consistent! :up:

Player 2
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I'm leaning more and more towards track only. It's hard for me to shut down my "wanna go faster" mentality when I head up the hills on a lovely racetr... errr.... road like HWY 7. ;)

When I do dial it back and just cruise I tend to get bored. Maybe it's time to invest in a DS

racedk6
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 05:48 PM
once I did my first race I was done with the street. When I did trackdays I slowly stopped riding on the street.

I took a few bikes out for a test ride last month and was scared out of my mind and more paranoid then I ever have been in my life.

Black Phantom
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I don't enjoy my Speed Triple or the TL in the canyons ever since I started doing track days. My gf and I went out last week and I didn't enjoy one bit of it, she did though. I had all week to myself this week and never thought about taking any of the bikes out, now three months ago it would have been a different story.
The good thing is my gf is looking to do track days and maybe race which will make things a lot easier on me and she doesn't have to sit at the track and watch me. Plus I was nervous when she was picking up speed in the canyons so I'm hoping the track will make her not want to ride the canyons, not fast anyway.
We do enjoy the canyons when out on the cruisers as we don't go fast, butn ow looking for a double purpose bikes so we can do some exploring.
Sooo the more I do track days the less I do canyons.

cromer611
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I get really stupid on the street if im riding a bike.

Graphite675
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Once I started riding the track I quickly lost the desire to ride the street. My 675 is track only now and I don't miss the streets at all. I do have a supermoto that I go out for a spin on occasionally but it's a more casual ride and they are few and far between.
Too many risks on the street. Tickets, guard rails, soccer mom's on there cell phones, the list goes on. It's just not worth it. The little pleasure you get from riding the streets doesn't come close to the risks involved.
Honestly I've come to the conclusion that riding a sportbike on the streets is absurd. Really, who needs a 160 HP R1 on the streets. It's only going to lead to trouble.

I encourage everyone I see to get off the street and enjoy the track more. Just tired of seeing young kids killed riding these bikes around on the streets.

just my 2c.

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Its gotten to be wired to be on a bike and not go fast. The challenge of gettting faster per lap and battling with other racers is hard to match on the street. I can see the same corners every 2mins and see through umm. The canyons ya can't get that. Plus the worries of traffic, sand, oily shit, gaurdrails, cops, Wildlife (huh Mike didnt you hit like 4 deer lol). its not as fun and I too get stupid pretty quick sometimes on the street. Dont get my wrong rides r fun its a fucking zen for me to be on the bike in the hills. I just cant have fun right now cause to many times during a ride right now I'm fighting the bike and the devil with the erge to go faster. Plus most of the time a descent pace just enough to keep me and the group happy is already like 10 point tickets. So once I get some of this out of my system and get a little older it'll be fun again up in the hills. I have noticed though helping new riders was alot of fun. Teaching and watching skills get better is so cool to see.

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Forsure the more I went to the track the less I rode crazy on the street. I could switch my bike from street to race minus safety wire in 25min. I was doing it so much. Then I had a 6 lap battle with this guy on a 250 at pmp at a trackday for Bob and it was over I had to race. Now trackydays just wernt enough. Its an addiction. Its good pure shit t0

Spiderman
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM
R1 on the street, R6 on the track.

I love riding the track, but I still love riding the street. Hell, I just love riding. I've been doing track days for two years now and riding the street for three; there is nothing that compares. I commute everyday on the bike and still do rides on my lunch break or after work. I even do a canyon ride every now and then, but there's only a couple people I really enjoy riding with. For me it is two completely opposite mind sets. One is getting your knee down in a corner and the other is enjoying beautiful Colorado. I don't go fast on the street, but I still love it.

I find it best to have a cheap street bike and a cheap track bike.

Same here, for the most part.

I got my R1 in '02 and started going to the track with it. As I was learning the track, I was using what I had learned and ended up taking (in retrospect) some stupid risks on the street. In '03 I took a track school, did some more track days, got my race license, and picked up a racebike. I started racing in '04, and still wasn't making the smartest of choices when I rode the canyons. I'm happy to say that changed over time tho.

I use my R1 mainly for commuting now, and the occasional canyon ride (and even rarer overnight trip 8) ). I don't ride fast in the canyons anymore... I could if I wanted to, I just choose not to.

For me it's a completely different mindset when I throw my leg over a streetbike, compared to when I'm at the track. On the street it's: every car is gonna run into me; there's gravel in every corner, and; a deer is gonna jump out any second now. But I still enjoy it... I just love riding!

To each his (or her) own. :)

sp0rtygrl
Fri Sep 18th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I have no desire to ride on the track; I love street riding and do it everyday. In all my years of riding on the street I have never had a close call (knock on wood). But I’m also not an aggressive rider I’ll let cars over instead of trying to pass them, I go the speed limit and always watching the cars around me, never trusting no one. I guess my bike is a cruiser in disguise.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM
... In all my years of riding on the street I have never had a close call (knock on wood).

Astonishing, is all I can say.

Whether it be a fault of the rider or the surroundings they are riding in, this is amazing to me.

Think
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Whether it be a fault of the rider or the surroundings they are riding in, this is amazing to me.
I can probably speak for most people here and say I've had too many to count in the short 2 years I've been riding.

AnarchoFuturist
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I'd like to try track riding one day, but would like to get a seperate bike for that purpose(I'd hate to scratch up my gorgeous gixxer). I think the trick is to know when its ok to speed and when it's time to just chill and go the speed limit. I typically will only speed when there aren't many people around. If its rush hour traffic like when I'm coming home from work on sante fe, I go the speed limit, keep my eyes peeled and stay concervative about passing people.

Another thing the street riders here may want to consider is getting an air-bag jacket. I recently picked up a hit-air jacket and I really like it so far. It's not really much different than a ordinary textile jacket as far as look and feel(just as light). There is a reason motorcycle cops wear them in Japan and europe.

Zach929rr
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Stay away from the track. You'll be addicted before you know it :)

Or as my father used to say, "Don't try it, you might like it".

Desmodromico
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I have no desire to ride on the track; I love street riding and do it everyday. In all my years of riding on the street I have never had a close call (knock on wood). But I’m also not an aggressive rider I’ll let cars over instead of trying to pass them, I go the speed limit and always watching the cars around me, never trusting no one. I guess my bike is a cruiser in disguise.

I would say you probably have and you didn't even know it. One ill-advised lane change by the lady in the family truckster and you are done. It only takes once regardless of what you think, your cocky attitude will not help you.

I enjoyed riding my dads Kawasaki Concours by his house in BFE Iowa, it is big enough I find myself taking it easy and the bike is comfortable enough you just kind of relax and take in the scenery, but not sure I would like riding this around Denver. I am trying to sell my 1098 and go without a street bike as I have put double the miles on my race bike this year.

TheStig
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 11:06 AM
The thing I would worry about is not getting enough of my 2 wheel fix. I mean how many track days can I do in one year (and afford). I'd love to race but I just bought this bike and even if I converted it the thing would make a terrible race bike. I think that I would love to have a cruiser or dual sport for the street and a race bike but $$$ is hard to come by these days.

ScottieFlan
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I did my first track day last Sunday, and immediately fell in love with it. I ride 10 months out of the year and about 85% of my transportation is with my bike. Since the track day, I admit street riding has lost some excitement, but I still love doing it and I don't plan on ever stopping. I would like to have a track bike to escape the fear of dropping my street bike at the track, but it's not in the budget right now. In just over three years riding streets, I have seen several ill-advised lane changes and people pulling out right in front of me, but if you are an experienced street rider, you learn to expect these things to happen so that when they do, you've avoided disaster before a problem even presents itself. And no I don't consider three years experience, but I consider 50,000 street miles in three years decent experience. I rarely ride canyons and pretty much never stunt; I don't think streets are a place to fulfill an adrenaline fix on a motorcycle. I just enjoy riding around and not being enclosed in a car when I'm going from point a to point b. Although I do speed a little bit, I keep it relatively safe on the streets; now that I've been to the track, I don't even need the canyon rush anymore, which has made me that much safe on the streets.

nattynoo
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Ok, just came back from one of the only "street" rides I've been on this year, and I gotta say it does not compare to the track one bit. Traffic, gravel, bicyclists, dogs, pedestrians, etc are not worth the hassel of trying to enjoy the ride IMO. Constantly having to watch out for distractions or hazards takes away from the whole experience.

Of course its nice to see beautiful Colorado, but I can do that from a car and have a great conversation with someone sitting next to me while doing so. Maybe take a picnic or hike instead...

I used to love riding EVERYWHERE. Any chance I got, I took the bike. But now, I really have no desire to ride the street much. I have to say that its a bit bittersweet considering I used to ride so much and enjoyed going to bike functions on the bike. But I also have to say that I get plenty of interaction with all the people I know that ride at the events, so? Guess as far as now, its not too bittersweet! Plus I love going to the track and seeing everyone. Camping out down there!

I think that I will become more of a strictly track rider as time goes on...

Sleev
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
y, one of my regular customers rides AMA and he says whenever his friends start riding track they never go back. : / I'd love to get into racing but the $ side of it is daunting.

64BonnieLass
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM
This is a VERY personal choice to anyone who rides two wheels. I understand the pros and cons of each (as others have already outlined), and I understand those who feel the threat of the street is simply too great for them personally. Any choice is a respectable choice. Even if that means for some, never riding again at all. It's private and personal and respectable.

However, it honestly doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Because it very much, in very simplistic terms, comes from what is within YOUR heart anyway. It is your confidence and your spirit and your love that drives you to either one, or both.

I have a great passion for both. But each for different reasons. Nobody else can tell you what's in your heart and the reasons for it. It just is. :)

07CBR600RR
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM
2 years on a motorcycle for me so far and 2 track days. I frequently use the motorcycle to commute to and from work, 11 mi each way, with reasonable traffic. Only a short stretch of my commute is in Highlands Ranch which is where the crazy stuff seems to happen. I find myself using odd times of the day for canyon riding just to avoid traffic. My speed in the canyons has decreased significantly after the first track day. At the track the ambulance is right there, no oncoming traffic, no one on a cell phone, etc. I haven’t given up on street riding yet, I just work hard to stay alert and avoid traffic. Anyone know where I can find a used track only bike?

sp0rtygrl
Sat Sep 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I would say you probably have and you didn't even know it. One ill-advised lane change by the lady in the family truckster and you are done. It only takes once regardless of what you think, your cocky attitude will not help you.

I don’t have a cocky attitude at all maybe I just been lucky.

BTW proper lane position is key so you can avoid the guy in the family truckster merging into your lane. I see so many riders that are riding in the incorrect lane, or lane position.

675Rider
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all your opinions. I think I will probably be track only next year. I do wonder if i will get my 2 wheel fix but when I think about it I will be riding nearly as much just doing track anyway. For me anymore just cruising or commuting is boring to me. I have to agree with Nattynoo, I can take in scenery and enjoy it with my wife and daughter in a car and save my 2 wheel speed fix for the track. Riding a sport bike slow just dont do it for me. Im not saying Im superfast but I enjoy pushing my limits. Everytime Im stuck behind cars in the canyons all I think is man this sux. Hopefully I can get into racing, skillwise and financial wise soon.

Zach929rr
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
^ I have been thinking about this during the past week when you started the thread.

I'll probably turn the 929 into a track only and get a Sumo for the street at the beginning of next season.

675Rider
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Whats a Sumo?

Zach929rr
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM
supermoto. i.e. dirt bike with street tires,rotors,brakes,rims

CaneZach
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I love trackdays as much as the next guy, but I won't stop riding street either. I have my street bike and my track/race bike, so I'm fortunate that I don't have to give up either.

675Rider
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 05:51 AM
Ah, I know supermoto, never heard them called sumo's.

Bueller
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 06:11 AM
I rarely see anyone badly injured or bikes totalled at the track.

Just wondering some of your thoughts. Thanks.
Aaron Clark
Steve Fish
Spider Bob
There is always risk involved

675Rider
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM
I realize there is always risk, Im no dummy. I do feel however riding on the track is more of a calculated risk. Theres many more safety measures in place on a track and less elements that you cant control that are on the street.

TheStig
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Do most of you guys buy your track bikes outright? Im just curious if anyone gets loans to get them. Seems kinda stupid too (thus why I dont have one) since it could be totalled easily with no insurance.

Matt
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
If money wasn't an obstacle, I'd only ride on the track.

By the time you're doing anything at all exciting on the street, you're so far outside the law that it isn't worth it. I'm finding street riding less and less appealing every year for that reason.

Zach929rr
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Still paying on mine (no interest, paying off the selling party interest free). Meh. Doesn't really bother me that much since I can afford it. Been thinking about dropping the insurance and going track only with it (as previously stated).

Spiderman
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 04:09 PM
Do most of you guys buy your track bikes outright?
:yes:

Im just curious if anyone gets loans to get them.
Some people do, I'm not sure what the percentage is.

Seems kinda stupid too (thus why I dont have one) since it could be totalled easily with no insurance.
Regardless if it's paid for upfront, or over 5 years, if it gets totalled, you're still going to have to repair it without the help of insurance (this may depend from one insurance company/policy to another - some may cover you if it was a track day as opposed to a race). It just sucks more (well, it might seem like it does) when you have to make a payment every month towards a bike you can no longer ride.

IMHO: If you're making payments on it to make it affordable, and you don't have the money to repair it if you completely wad it up (think: subframe; swingarm; bodywork; forks; wheels), then don't push your limits, regardless of where you're riding, until it's paid off and/or you can afford it, cuz you'll be one sorry-ass mofo if you do break rule #1 on a bike you're still making payments on and can't afford to fix back up.

kawasakirob
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 04:09 PM
Definetly slowed down to enjoy the scenery more in the canyons after hitting the track a few times. The only negative is it cost over 1200 for 3 days of track riding. Thats a road trip. Just gotta weigh the options

kawasakirob
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
It is hard to hop on a sportbike and abide by the "law" after riding the track. That's probably the hardest object.

hcr25
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Aaron Clark
Steve Fish
Spider Bob
There is always risk involved

Very true! But....
I do believe the risk on the track can be less in more ways then on the street.

The track is more of a controlled environment.
More run off room/less hard things to hit then on the street.
In general we are wearing more/better safety gear on the track.
Most track days/races have EMT's and Ambulances.
No blue hairs or teens texting to run us over.

I remember street riding being fun but I have not rode the street since 2002. Since I started racing I have probably crashed 35 or so times. Of those crashes I was ambulanced to the hospital twice. One could have been life threatening if I was not able to get immediate medical attention.

So in my opinion we are safer on the track. More or less fun? All up to the individual.

Mike

willb003
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
^ I have been thinking about this during the past week when you started the thread.

I'll probably turn the 929 into a track only and get a Sumo for the street at the beginning of next season.

:devious:

AnarchoFuturist
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Is it really safer to ride on the track than on the street? I can see good arguments from both positions. Does anyone have any statistics? I couldn't dig up much on google.

kawasakirob
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Since I started racing I have probably crashed 35 or so times. Of those crashes I was ambulanced to the hospital twice.

Sums it up right there. I doubt anyone could crash 35 times at race pace on the street and still be living. All it takes is running into a corner to hot one day to realize how much safer the track really is. It would still be fun to rock a TT though. Just accept the risks and haul ass. But isn't that what we do anyway?

AnarchoFuturist
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Just to play devils advocate, you wouldn't be going at a race pace on the street so its not a completly fair comparison. Sure, crashing at 70 mph on the track would probably be less dangerous for a lot of reasons. However, on the street, you wouldnt be crashing as much and would have less opportunities to get injured. Also, since your average speed on the street is much lower, it's likely you will crash at a lower speed. Thats why I'd like to see some statistics, anecdotal evidence won't do us much good.

Graphite675
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Just to play devils advocate, you wouldn't be going at a race pace on the street so its not a completly fair comparison.

No offense but This is where the big problem is. Too many kids are going "race pace" on the streets and treat the streets as there own private race track. Maybe you don't ride like that but the other 70% of sportbike street riders do ride way beyond what they should on public roads.

Although you maybe running fast on a track, it is much, much safer and controlled environment to be riding in.

I don't have any statistics but I do follow racing and track days all over the country. I can recall I believe 2 deaths his year that I know of in the states during a track day/race. I'm sure the number of street bikers killed in Colorado alone this year is probably almost 10 times that.

AnarchoFuturist
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
No offense but This is where the big problem is. Too many kids are going "race pace" on the streets and treat the streets as there own private race track. Maybe you don't ride like that but the other 70% of sportbike street riders do ride way beyond what they should on public roads.

Although you maybe running fast on a track, it is much, much safer and controlled environment to be riding in.

For riding at race speeds, I completly agree the track is the best place to go, no argument there. I think what I am more interested in is finding out if riding on the street is statisticly less or more dangerous. It's a complex question, and most certainly depends on how you ride and where you choose to go fast.

675Rider
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Anarcho, I dont have any statistics either, but from personal experience if you crash at all or at any speed on the street you have a very high chance of getting seriuosly injured or killed. Take Andrew Trevitt for example, very accomplished track rider, I think he raced as well. Has wrote books and for sport rider. He was seriously injured on the street doing 30mph. Came around a curve and there was a dumb ass driver doing a u-turn in the middle of a blind corner. Hes paralyzed from the waist down now. Ive seen and heard of so many people getting hurt or killed on the street. If you did find statistics I doubt they would be remotly close to the same. Injuries maybe, deaths no way.You talk to nearly any racer, amatuer or pro, and ask them if they ride on the street. Most will tell you no, its too dangerous.

And in my opinion if youre not going to ride a sport bike fast or try to lean it hard, whats really the point of having one?

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
You both needed to remember that someone's 60% is another's 110% on the street or track. Granted, there are exceptions to every situation (U turn in middle of road) but it all comes down to having enough change left from your $10 to devote to emergency situations.

kawasakirob
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Just to play devils advocate, you wouldn't be going at a race pace on the street so its not a completly fair comparison. Sure, crashing at 70 mph on the track would probably be less dangerous for a lot of reasons. However, on the street, you wouldnt be crashing as much and would have less opportunities to get injured. Also, since your average speed on the street is much lower, it's likely you will crash at a lower speed. Thats why I'd like to see some statistics, anecdotal evidence won't do us much good.

That is my point exactly. If you were going race pace on the street, and you wiped out 35 times, I hardly believe that you would still be breathing. Speed has nothing to do with street riding being more dangerous. Have you been on the track before?

Airreed
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
I've never been pushed to go to track days. I find that what draws me to riding isn't all speed. I paticularlly enjoy riding when the Aspen's are changing color, the cooler breezes of spring and fall. The scenery of Colorado is best enjoyed on a motorcycle IMO.

Desmodromico
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Anarcho, I dont have any statistics either, but from personal experience if you crash at all or at any speed on the street you have a very high chance of getting seriously injured or killed. Take Andrew Trevitt for example, very accomplished track rider, I think he raced as well. Has wrote books and for sport rider. He was seriously injured on the street doing 30mph. Came around a curve and there was a dumb ass driver doing a u-turn in the middle of a blind corner. Hes paralyzed from the waist down now.

This sums up my experience, of the few people I have known well personally who have crashed on the street, two are dead and the others all had very serious injuries. Sport bikes compound the problem by adding speed to the equation but the two deaths were on a sport-tourer and a cruiser, they were both middle-aged experienced riders that were caught in a situation they had no control of, one with a car one with an animal.

I have been down on the track and it isn't fun, but it is a calculated risk I am willing to take and if I had gone down in a similar manner on the street I have a hard time envisioning any roads that would have allowed me the runoff to walk away. Considering you can go to a track day or race and run at your max all day long and most times go home in one piece I feel it is a better situation for me, to each their own. If you can afford a motorcycle as a second vehicle and not primary transportation, you can afford to ride the track IMHO if you are smart about your spending.

Oh and Mike, I will have to hit you up for some crashing tips next time I see you, you look pretty spry for 35 times down the asphalt :)

kawasakirob
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
I wrote a paper for college on the death toll in CO related to riders fault vs. others. Deleted the paper after summer sem. but think it was around 50-50 for deaths. The majority of deaths were older males 40..... majority on cruisers. Alcohol was a factor in a small percentage. 18-25 age group was like the second highest. Anyway, the info was out there, those numbers are rough estimates. But the paper was fact taken from the transportation guys. Wish I still had it but deleted it.

AnarchoFuturist
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
That is my point exactly. If you were going race pace on the street, and you wiped out 35 times, I hardly believe that you would still be breathing. Speed has nothing to do with street riding being more dangerous. Have you been on the track before?

I haven't been to the track yet, which is why I am asking you guys about it :)

AnarchoFuturist
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
I'm curious. How many people do you know who are track riders who have died or been seriously injured? I ask because a lot of people I know who have crashed on the street and have came out of it fine, but I realize that this is not always the case(as many have said). I'm just not sure that if I were to switch to the track strickly(which I am open to), if I would really be more safe. Just seems like if I were only on the track and racing I would crash more and have more opportunity to get hurt.

Is the main issue here riding fast on the road vs riding fast on the track?

Or is the main issue riding on the track vs riding on the road(at any speed)?

For the first I think its obvious the track is safer. For the second, I guess I am not so sure.

Bueller
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
I ride motorcycles. I wouldn't give any of it up voluntarily.

No shit, in my 38 years of riding it is basically a daily occurance.

Very true! But....
I do believe the risk on the track can be less in more ways then on the street. ....................So in my opinion we are safer on the track. More or less fun? All up to the individual.

Mike
But Mike how many crashes on the street are you comparing to?
If you had crashed 35 times on the street I would advise you to stop riding 'cause you would be a really bad rider :lol:
I have been hurt much worse in my crashes on the track than the 2 I have had on the street. When I go to the track I have dialed it back, sorta like some canyon riders in here, because I was sick of hitting asphalt so many times.

kawasakirob
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
I haven't been to the track yet, which is why I am asking you guys about it :)

Right on. Hop on the track. Its awesome. Getting on the track has completely altered my perception of riding on the street. Being on the track lets you focus more on the riding, instead of wondering what that car is going to do, or what that animal is going to do, or what joe bicyclist is going to do, or what the hell is that midcorner? It lets you develop more than anything. Do it, you'll love it. The only negative is it's addicting, and it is not a road for sightseeing. Perfect for skill development in a safe(r) atmosphere. Good Luck:)

675Rider
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Is the main issue here riding fast on the road vs riding fast on the track?

Or is the main issue riding on the track vs riding on the road(at any speed)?

For the first I think its obvious the track is safer. For the second, I guess I am not so sure.

I would say youre faster on both occasions simply because 1. You still control your speed. 2. The environment is as controlled as possible and there is typically medical staff on hand to get to you in the "magic" hour.

As long as you are riding at your level and not trying to push your abilities too hard, I say its unlikely you will have a bad crash. Although the only time I have crashed was on a track and I felt pretty comfortable, lol. But if I had crashed at 80mph on the street in a curve I doubt I would be writing this.

675Rider
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Well this is a thread I started a long time ago, but I have finally decided on going strictly track. I just don't have as much time to ride anymore, and when I do I would rather be on a track anyway. I just do not seem to get much enjoyment from street riding anymore. So I will be selling my street bike soon, should be up for sale by the end of the weekend.

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 12th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I did the same thing for this year, strictly track. I miss riding on the street sometimes, but when I almost get hit in my car it reminds me why I don't ride on the street anymore.

rohorn
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 10:35 AM
This is a subject I've thought about a lot and wondered what others thought.

Sold my street bike (98 ZX9R) last year. It was a very good street bike, but I don't miss street riding on it. I enjoy riding my ass off on my current street bike - the one with pedals.

Lowsided yesterday on my track bike (The one with a motor, sort of) in Turn 5 at HPR yesterday. Got up and had the opportunity to "enjoy" how much different turn 5 looks when standing on the outside in the dirt, and watching the corner worker wave the yellow for something I did. Surreal, humiliating and educational!

As bad as it is cleaning dirt off the bike (It is EVERYWHERE!), it is a lot easier to clean off than guardrail. Or granite. Or in the case of street lefthanders, oncoming traffic. And as much as I hate buying/making new parts, it cost less than what the ticket would have cost. Getting a ride back in the crash cart isn't fun, but it cost less than whatever the local towing company would have charged. And if more than my pride would have been wounded, well, glad to know that the ambulance is half a lap away.

Never got hurt that badly on the street, but I felt like I've had an unusually good run of luck on the street and didn't want to find out how that was going to end anymore. I have lots of fond memories of the rides taken with friends in the mountains (Back in New Mexico), but I have no desire to recreate them. Besides, the motorcycles, tires, and pace of, say, 1986 was a little ... different.

675Rider
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 11:38 AM
rohorn I agree. Sometimes you got to wonder when its gonna be your turn. I have not had a spill on the street yet, is it skill? Luck? At least track riding is a calculated risk. There are so many unknowns on the street. Even driving some of the roads I used to frequent riding I have seen some incredibly stupid actions by drivers.

Once on my way to bishops castle on that last tight uphill S-turn before you get there a dumbass in a BMW passed us and stayed in the left lane and middle the whole turn. Imagine a group railing down the hill. Dead! There would have been nowhere to go. 3 choices, guard rail, car or cliff face.

Im not saying no one should ride the street. This is just my choice. The reward does not outweigh the danger and inconvenience for me anymore. I have a much greater time at the track.

WolFeYeZ
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 11:47 AM
This is a subject I've thought about a lot and wondered what others thought.

Sold my street bike (98 ZX9R) last year. It was a very good street bike, but I don't miss street riding on it. I enjoy riding my ass off on my current street bike - the one with pedals.

Lowsided yesterday on my track bike (The one with a motor, sort of) in Turn 5 at HPR yesterday. Got up and had the opportunity to "enjoy" how much different turn 5 looks when standing on the outside in the dirt, and watching the corner worker wave the yellow for something I did. Surreal, humiliating and educational!

As bad as it is cleaning dirt off the bike (It is EVERYWHERE!), it is a lot easier to clean off than guardrail. Or granite. Or in the case of street lefthanders, oncoming traffic. And as much as I hate buying/making new parts, it cost less than what the ticket would have cost. Getting a ride back in the crash cart isn't fun, but it cost less than whatever the local towing company would have charged. And if more than my pride would have been wounded, well, glad to know that the ambulance is half a lap away.

Never got hurt that badly on the street, but I felt like I've had an unusually good run of luck on the street and didn't want to find out how that was going to end anymore. I have lots of fond memories of the rides taken with friends in the mountains (Back in New Mexico), but I have no desire to recreate them. Besides, the motorcycles, tires, and pace of, say, 1986 was a little ... different.

Were you on that Tron looking bike thing? What is that exactly?

fishdip
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I really think gear plays a lot in the you see more ppl go to the hospital on a street crash then on a track also this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCy6vw0dkI

madvlad
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Tank slappers.... *shudders*

sag
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 01:40 PM
ive really fallen in love with track riding since last summer and nothing beats it imo. i will still always have a street bike i think but my attitude on the street is changing. the thrills of racing cant be replicated in the canyons so i have really calmed down in the twistys. seems like everytime i go out i push the pace less and less as im getting faster and faster on the track. i feel super vulnerable riding fast without my leathers now. so much that my R1 is losing its appeal to ride on the streets and my mind often wanders to speed triple/streetfighter sportbikes which are more fun and comfortable to ride at slower paces. im not concerned with injury, if i was i would probably find a different hobby haha. my biggest fear on the street is going to jail.

im with the other person though, after tens of thousands of street miles in the last five years ive yet to have a super precarious moment, especially caused by someone else. ive had a few already in one season of track riding though. i dont commute on a bike though. sometimes ride to work but mostly only pleasure rides with low traffic and ideal conditions.

cliffs notes: track time and racing is changing my focus on the street from getting thrills to much safer, relaxed, fun and enjoyment.

madvlad
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Agreed there sag, insane how much just a single visit to the track changes you and your perspective on safety and what's key when you're behind 2 wheels. The track is just simply where its at!

rohorn
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Were you on that Tron looking bike thing? What is that exactly?

That's mine - more about it in my profile's web link.

mauser72
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Ive been seriously considering selling my street bike and racing im just not sure if I would miss having a street bike or not I know for a fact I would miss my 1198 but for the price of it I could afford to put a serious race effort in. I just seem to be losing interest in riding on te street more and more every year. On thart note anyone want to buy a ducati:D