PDA

View Full Version : Imperative Track Day Supplies &/or Extras

Motodrew
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hey gang.

In my preperation for next season, I'm going to do my best this winter to piece together the necessary items for a productive & successful track/race day experience. Over the winter months, I'd like to pick up some spare parts for my 636 and get the necessary items for the pits. For those of you that have been in the racing environment for quite some time, I have some quick questions for ya:

Other than the obvious tools, stands, warmers; What else would you find imperative to bring to on a track/race day?

What spare parts would you have on hand?

What are some other items you couldn't survive without?

Any of your advice/experience is greatly appreciated. I'm so damn anxious for next year. I'm gonna go crazy this winter! :crazy: Just trying to get prepared now! Thanks.

Drew

CaneZach
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Get some of those collapsible chairs from WalMart that fold up and come with a bag. A generator to run your stuff. A pop-up canopy or some kind of shade.

Matrix
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM
You might consider picking up extra pegs, levers and bar ends in case you go down and need to put her back together.
Also consider extra duck tape, zip ties, dzus fasteners, extention cord, and power strip.

Motodrew
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Good stuff. keep it coming!

rybo
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Here is the course outline for the basic course we run at Chicane.

Spares:

Bring the common stuff

Brake Lever
Clutch Lever
Clip On tube
Footpegs
shift lever
rear brake lever
swingarm spool

For supplies

Tire gauge
basic tools
service manual
stands
canopy
cooler with water
food for snacks

I don't think that warmers and a generator are necessary for track day operations. Take a couple laps to warm up your tires (and brain). On warm days this isn't even always necessary. Warmers really are for a racer who NEEDS to go out fast on the first lap.

I've had a lot of (good) luck running street/trackday tires on the track. The Pilot Power, the BT016 and the Diablo Corsa III are all excellent tires that do very well on the racetrack. As an example, I've run 2:00 lap times at HPR on a mostly stock 2003 R1 on street tires. They work fine, and generally last a long time.

So, then you get down to the "need" vs. "want" of trackday supplies. Tire warmers are definitely on the "want" side. Without them you can go without a generator too, so the savings there is really tremendous. The money you would have spent on those items can be used to buy 3 or 4 more trackdays, which in the end will make you a much better/faster rider than the warmers EVER would.

Looking forward to seeing you at the track!

Scott

Motodrew
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks Scott. I scored some warmers with the bike, so I may just borrow a generator from a friend. Thanks for the tips. I can't wait for spring 2010!!

Sean
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Advil :up:

Extra gas can with fuel.

Motodrew
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Advil :up:

Noted!

peteremsley
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Canopy and chairs for sure. Buy the canopy at Sports Authority and get their no haggle replacement warranty for an extra $10 - you will kill one (or 4). A cooler for food, and one of those tapped barrel coolers for water is pretty handy. Keep it close by so you'll use it lots.

As Scott said, warmers are a nice to have, but I'd recommend them if you are going to race - if nothing else, they will have a very positive impact on your confidence in the first lap or two. If you can borrow a generator, perfect.

As far as tools go, whenever I work on my bike in the garage, I try to use the tools from the box I take to the track. If I can't complete a project without gettings something out of the "big" tool box in the garage, I consider adding it to the track tools.

If you're serious about next season, try and snap up some left over tires this winter. 303cycle and Vanmar both had cracking deals last winter.

One thing I'd add to the spares lists above, is a throttle tube.

Why Advil, Sean? :dunno: :)

mbohn
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
For race day you'll need an FM radio so you can hear all the raceday office broadcasts.

Motodrew
Sun Sep 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
For race day you'll need an FM radio so you can hear all the raceday office broadcasts.

Good thinking!

rforsythe
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 04:00 AM
Bring heavy stuff to tie your canopy too! The paddocks at our tracks are killing fields for new EZ-ups. Your trailer will work for the back half, but 5-gal buckets full of water are good for the front. Bring them pre-filled to HPR since running water is still pending there.

sloridr
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 07:03 AM
A whole bunch of hotties to cheer you on and hold your umbrella... just a thought.

Motodrew
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM
A whole bunch of hotties to cheer you on and hold your umbrella... just a thought.

I figured you and Zach could just do that for me.

Sean
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM
Why Advil, Sean? :dunno: :)Because I'm old and things hurt in places I didn't know they could hurt, by the afternoon. Plus, it's handy to have if you fall down.

sloridr
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
I figured you and Zach could just do that for me.

Zach has bigger boobs...

dragos13
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Not sure if its been mentioned yet but:

FIRE EXTINGUISHER

The other day I caught my YSR50 on fire (actually my mechanic did but thats another story) and it could have burned to the ground. I had my fire extinguisher right there since the MRA requires it in all pits. I think racing or trackday, you should have one for sure.

sloridr
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Not sure if its been mentioned yet but:

FIRE EXTINGUISHER

The other day I caught my YSR50 on fire (actually my mechanic did but thats another story) I had my fire extinguisher right there since the MRA requires it in all pits. I think racing or trackday, you should have one for sure.
CO2 it won't cake your bike in the powder stuff. IMO.

dragos13
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 08:34 AM
CO2 it won't cake your bike in the powder stuff. IMO.

That powder stuff can actually help the bike from re-igniting. If you have a hot motor and hot exhuast laying in a puddle of race fuel, I might want to do more then just blow the fire out. The white powder will help prevent the fumes from relighting.

sloridr
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 08:39 AM
That powder stuff can actually help the bike from re-igniting. If you have a hot motor and hot exhuast laying in a puddle of race fuel, I might want to do more then just blow the fire out. The white powder will help prevent the fumes from relighting.
The dry chem smothers the fire for a few sec. Once the fire is out you have to cool the hot metal and dry chem or CO2 won't cool the metal. However which ever one has, as long as they have one, is the important thing.