PDA

View Full Version : Least expensive way to buy and get a tire mounted

Think
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
I've gone through a set of tires already but I don't think I got the best deal I could've gotten. I know most places charge more to put a new tire on if you don't buy from them, but there are also some killer deals online.

I'm also possibly looking to change which tire I use as well. I've been using Qualifiers but I've heard some good things about other tires as well.

I figured since many of you have gone through this process more than I have, what's the best way to go to save the most money?

sloridr
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
303 Cycle or TFOG the best ways to go. 2ct's are what i run, and i really like them. but BT-16 aren't bad i hear. check the add top right for prices.

Zach929rr
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
FWIW, I'm probably trying some 016's for my next set of tires. Either of the two big guys here in town and you can't go wrong.

Obviously, off-bike is the cheapest way to go.

Matt
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
I know a guy here in the Springs that will mount and balance tires for $17.50 each (including disposal). That's the price when the wheels are off the bike, on the bike would cost more.

He's not convenient for you, but there's gotta be guy in Ft Collins like him.

konichd
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 04:31 PM
I can hook you up Greg on any tire you want ;)

Motodrew
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm a firm believer in Bt016's for street use. I'm somewhat demanding on them & still nearly get 3,000 miles before the front gets slippery. :o

sag
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM
pirelli diablo corsa IIIs

do it

jbs80106
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
I know a guy here in the Springs that will mount and balance tires for $17.50 each (including disposal). That's the price when the wheels are off the bike, on the bike would cost more.

He's not convenient for you, but there's gotta be guy in Ft Collins like him.

I'll need new tires for next year, who's the guy?

RCStylin'
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 07:26 PM
You live in FoCo right? Bring 'em over off the bike and I'll teach you how to do it yourself. Mount and balance = Free jchrislee@gmail.com

Think
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
I can hook you up Greg on any tire you want ;)
Sweet, I'll send you a PM in the very near future.

You live in FoCo right? Bring 'em over off the bike and I'll teach you how to do it yourself. Mount and balance = Free jchrislee@gmail.com
I would, but I live in an apartment complex with no garage and just a few tools so it's not the easiest thing for me to do.

MRA 32
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM
You want cheap just get a set of DOT race take offs from a racer for about $50-$75 for a set and you will get close to 3k miles out of them. My friend has one of those No Mar tire change things and he will mount both tires for $30.00 and he lives in Greeley. EVEN if you get only 1,500 miles out of the take offs; how many take offs do you need to buy to equal one set of new street tires???? I put around 6,000 miles a year on my street bike and I haven't put a set of street tires on for eight years!! I only buy used DOT race tires and I go through two sets a year.

AND street tires are harder compounds that have limited traction at lean. Even though the take offs are burned off a bit they have similar traction and 99% of street riders never reach the lean angle or speed that racers do; so no need to worry about traction at lean.

Jeff

rybo
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM
You want cheap just get a set of DOT race take offs from a racer for about $50-$75 for a set and you will get close to 3k miles out of them. My friend has one of those No Mar tire change things and he will mount both tires for $30.00 and he lives in Greeley. EVEN if you get only 1,500 miles out of the take offs; how many take offs do you need to buy to equal one set of new street tires???? I put around 6,000 miles a year on my street bike and I haven't put a set of street tires on for eight years!! I only buy used DOT race tires and I go through two sets a year.

AND street tires are harder compounds that have limited traction at lean. Even though the take offs are burned off a bit they have similar traction and 99% of street riders never reach the lean angle or speed that racers do; so no need to worry about traction at lean.

Jeff

I don't fully agree with Jeff on this.

I believe that we have street tires and race tires for a reason. I use street tires on the street and race tires at the racetrack. I do this for a number of reasons.

1) Operating temperature: Race tires are designed to work at temperatures above about 150 degrees. To reach this kind of temperature they need to be used hard most of the time. Even the best rider on a canyon day probably can't put that kind of heat into a tire and maintain it. Street tires are designed to work from air temperature up to about 160 degrees. Do they offer the ULTIMATE grip of the race tire? Nope, but they offer 80% of their grip from cold, which you cannot even come close to saying about a race tire. Especially as we move into fall, I think race take offs on the street are a bad idea.

2) Wet weather operation: If you're burning up several sets of street tires a year then you are sometimes riding in the rain. Race tires DO NOT work well in wet conditions as there is very little tread cut into them (the DOT Minimum) with 0% of that near the edge of the tire and NO Silica in the rubber compound. This all adds up to extremely bad wet weather performance.

3) Tire profile: Race tires are designed to offer a small contact patch when the bike is straight up and down and a big contact patch when they are leaned over. As a result race tires tend to be very tall in the center with a pretty triangular profile that encourages them to lean over and turn. Street tires are designed with a much more round profile that offers about the same size contact patch at all lean angles. It also means that they turn consistently for the mundane street driving tasks like changing lanes, on ramps etc.

These are a few of the reasons I use street tires on the street and race tires at the race track.

How to get the best deal? Shop. 303 and TFOG are great supporters of the CSC and offer our members great prices on tires and mounting. I try to support the people that support me. Michelin has been very good to me in my race effort, so they also tend to end up on my street bike. Currently my street bike has Diablo Corsa III's on it and I have to admit I'm pretty impressed. I get about 3K out of a set of supersport tires on the street, and between 5-6K out of sport touring tires on the street. Find something you like, find a shop that you like working with and support them.

My .02

Scott

Think
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Don't think I'll be using DOT race tires since I'll be riding 2-up a bit more often this fall and don't want to compromise mine or more importantly my passenger's safety.

I PM'd konichd regarding a couple tires. I'm leaning more towards the Pilot Power 2ct's or the BT016's. I did, however, get right around 4k miles on my rear Qualifier and it's still not totally toast yet.
(http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=1757)

OUTLAWD
Mon Sep 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM
^ +1 to Scott

and I know how greg likes to ride...and yes, he uses the tires to a decent % of their capability.

I still can't be sold on race take-offs for the street. I put new 2ct's (~$330 mounted off bike) on the gixxer, and the rear lasted 2 track days and 3k street miles(~3 months), the sides are totally shot (well, the right side anyway, silly right handed tracks)

At this rate, race take-offs at say $75/set if you're lucky, to get a set of tires with ~2 trackdays at my :turtle: pace left on them. say even split duty, 1 trackday and a month of canyon riding, thats going to be about 3 sets in 3 months (conservative estimate because I commute on a different bike usually).

When you add the cost of mounting and balancing, plus the time and gas $ to get them mounted and pick them up, you are right back at $300, if not more, for 3 months worth of tires, in my case. And you are running used tires that are not designed specifically for street use.

but as far as good deals on tires, you can't beat DK @ 303. and if you need a stand and a garage, you can bring it over here and make use of the stands/tools/garage anytime you want, and just leave the bike while you get the tires mounted

BigE
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
Just a FYI regarding Race Takeoffs and CO fall/winter riding.
About a +10,000,000,000 to what Scott said. I'll put it this way...if you run race takeoffs on the street what you think you saved on tire money will cost you in bodywork and pain. And you're stupid.
I'll admit to being dumb enough to run them once because I got a flat on a month old tire (got screwed ;)). A buddy had some takeoffs I got for free, put them on and rode to work when it was about 65deg. everything was okey-dokey. Go to get lunch at 10pm (worked night shift), as I was IDLING out of the parking lot, had the rear spin up three times and the front let go once when I was going out of the parking lot! Rode home like I was on ice and parked my bike until REAL tires were in the budget.
Like I said, a little story fwiw.

MRA 32
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Sorry my bad! I should have asked more questions before I gave advise. I don't ride in the canyons or do track days on used tires. I use the take offs for commuting back & forth to work and school. So I don't get into many situations were I need much traction. I also didn't take into consideration that it is getting colder out (duh). Cut me some slack I have been buried in my pathophysiology book for a few weeks and I am about brain dead!

Thanks to Rybo for correcting me; he is wise!

Jeff

OUTLAWD
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
...I have been buried in my pathophysiology book for a few weeks and I am about brain dead!

I feel your pain man...I have been up to my neck in partial differential equations for a few days...:banghead:

Dogsbody
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
I'll throw out another nod at 303. I was there yesterday for two new tires (Michelin Pilot Roads) for the ZX10R. A great deal and excellent service.

Zach929rr
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
I feel your pain man...I have been up to my neck in partial differential equations for a few days...:banghead:

Harden the fuck up. Diff Eq was easy.

Think
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm torn between the BT016's and the PP 2ct's. Can anyone offer some input? I need new tires SOON.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM
PP 2ct's rawk :up: You won't be disappointed.

They are the tires preferred by Ninjas :D

http://hasenhundl.com/images/2009/09-26-27_Moab_Durango/IMG_0120.jpg

Devaclis
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I am a big fan of the Pirelli MT 21's. Jim at TFOG got me hooked on these and I can't stop loving them!

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/Pirelli_MT21.jpg

I use them everywhere!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Motorcycles/IMG00618.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Camp%200709/IMG_4356.jpg

Soo does my boy Gene!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Camp%200709/IMG_4352.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Camp%200709/IMG_4358.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/IMG_0023.jpg

BTW: The cheapest way to mount a tire:

Free. Duh!

Fly boy
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
FWIW

I run the Pirelli Diablo street tires. They have lasted 5000+ miles now and have been a great street tire. I have only slipped a couple times, and it was because of dirt.

I took them to IMI a couple times and they performed wonderfully as well. You could see where I heated them up and the rubber was being used like a race tire. I think I paid $170 for a rear installed.

Just another option for you.

konichd
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
The PR2's are great for this time of year. Dual compound and great tread pattern for all types of weather you might run into. You should get a lot of life out of them.

The BT016's are a great tire as well but if you do a lot of commuting they will flatspot the rear. We ran these on our rental bikes and the bikes can almost stand up without a kickstand if you're not an aggressive rider.

BT016's are a great tire for the money, it really depends on how much riding you're going to do in the next 6 months. Not too many go with the 16's, if your going to be riding a lot this fall/winter go with the PR2's

Zach929rr
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I'm torn between the BT016's and the PP 2ct's. Can anyone offer some input? I need new tires SOON.

Love my 2cts.... but leaning towards a pair of 016's for the next set due to the slightly lower price point.

OUTLAWD
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Love my 2cts.... but leaning towards a pair of 016's for the next set due to the slightly lower price point.

what he said...I got 6k out of the 2ct's on the sprint and ~3k out of the rear on the gixxer...I love the feel of them and i have a ton of faith in them

LambeauXLIV
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM
If you want to take it to a local shop, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki has the lowest (I think) mounting prices around. I have 2cts, and they have held up extremely well (I have about 8k miles on the front, previous rear lasted about 5k). A friend of mine had bt016s, and they needed replaced after 3 thousand miles.

Ricky
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Every tire I've purchased for my bike has come from Epic Motosports. Nobody has ever been able to beat their mounted prices for the tire I have (Metzeler M3). Short drive for me, no wait, good price = return business. My most recent change was about 2 weeks ago and it was $170. Many places wanted at least $200 mounted... The most expensive I found was getting the tire from Performance Cycle, then having it mounted at Woody's Wheel Works (who wanted 60 fucking dollars to mount the tire with the wheel on the bike... ridiculous). Total would have been $243

konichd
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 04:03 PM
<---This guy is the cheapest out the door ;) we guarantee it......PERIOD

Think
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm just thinking that the difference will be made up with the gas it'll take me to get down there.:(

OUTLAWD
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM

I'm just thinking that the difference will be made up with the gas it'll take me to get down there.:(

maybe I can pull my rear and we can split gas

Think
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM
maybe I can pull my rear and we can split gas
Do you have a 2 bike trailer?

OUTLAWD
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I was gonna say just pull the wheels off and bring them down. I have 2 sets of stands now.

Think
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I was gonna say just pull the wheels off and bring them down. I have 2 sets of stands now.
Ah yeah, I'd be down for that. I'll shoot you a PM.