PDA

View Full Version : Novice class tires

japrules
Tue Mar 29th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I know this should probably be under tech.. but..

I plan on doing a few novice races this year.. a friend who used to race suggested I just get street compound tires.. I am only running very inconsistant 1:20's at SCR so I am still real slow and my bike and tires are way faster than me.. so does anyone disgaree with this? Also, novice allows race compound right ? If not its a no brainer of course..

If you guys agree, anybody have suggestion on brand/model??

Bertha
Tue Mar 29th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I'd say if you are going to be racing get a set of race tyres...

Talk to Brian at TK... Get a set of the Bridgestone 002.

They are great tyres and wont cost an arm and leg. As you get faster you'll want the race compound, and 250$-350$ for a set of race tyres is a LOT cheaper then clip ons, rear sets etc.. that was trashed cuz you pushed a set of street tyres too far.

Just my worthless 2 cents

Lel
Tue Mar 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I agree definately! spend the money on the tires. The brand is not as important as how you feel on your tires, find one brand of tire and stick to it and learn how it acts; while learning (and as I am too!) you dont want to throw in more unknowns by switching tires all the time, but one thing for sure get a race set.

As for the tires being allowed in novice, the only restirction on tires in any class is slick vs dot tread. And as for novice and am ANYTHING goes... basically as long as your within the engine size for the class U or O, you can do whatever you want to the bike except nitrous :) lol (but that IS allowed in ROR haha) and stay w/in the fuel requirements

lel

Anonymous
Tue Mar 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Yes, Novice allows race compound.

If you're only going to run a couple of races, you could probably get away with street tires, but race tires would be the way to go. From what you described, you could probably even get away with slightly used race take-offs.

Polar X
Tue Mar 29th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I know where you can get some Pilot Power Race DOT tires in Med thru Soft compounds for $260 shipped to your door.

Holler if you need a link.

Bueller
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 05:36 AM
I know where you can get some Pilot Power Race DOT tires in Med thru Soft compounds for $260 shipped to your door.

I'd be interested, that sounds too good :?

japrules
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Yup, definately, those are what I have been riding on I think.. they say pilot race, and they have a tread pattern (not slicks).

Polar X
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I have posted this before, so here ya go again. I have 2 sets and 1 extra rear tire. So I can promise that its not to good to be true. If you want some old M2 and S2's I may know a guy who still has them for about $280 shipped.

Anywho, here ya go. Tire Deals (http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=651)

Enjoy :D

Polar X
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Yup, definately, those are what I have been riding on I think.. they say pilot race, and they have a tread pattern (not slicks).

Yuppers,, them be the ones. 8)

friscokidd
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Definitelly use race tires, in my opinion. MotoXOutlet are good people too. I have gotten a few things from them, killer deals and hassle free :up: And for that price for race pilot powers, i may have to get me some

japrules
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 09:02 AM

What about installation? Can I do this myself? Whats the grassroots method?

ebazyl
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM
My $0.02: definetly race rubber!! I think they are a world of diffrence.

As for install, I think it cost $20 to have them done at TK (they will probably do it free if it is Bridgestone). Mark Schelleneger (Michelin) will mount them for free, and Mark Newby (Dunlop) will sometimes mount them for free if you rub him the right way.

If you are worried about life of the tires, you can probably have them swapped back to your street tires after the races.

As for brand it gets sticky. I think you can be competative on any of the major brands. However some people find that they have trouble with a certain brand of tire, most imprtantly feed-back/grip/life/price/service. :idea: I say if you got the funds try them all, which will also give you a chance to meet the vendors and see what they are willing to do for you.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 10:18 AM

What about installation? Can I do this myself? Whats the grassroots method?

If you have a tire iron you can do it yourself but it's a pain in the ass....not as bad as a dirtbike tire though. You would still have to get it balanced though. Not worth the trouble when you can get it down cheap at varous shops around town like the ones that Eugene mentions above.

Polar X
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I would give COGXXR a call, Wally has a tire machine and will do you a great price. You can bring the tires to him or ride the bike down to him.

Price is 50 on the bike or 25 off. Thats both. not singles.

japrules
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Not sure how you are doing it.. I come up with $297.. includes $20.00 shipping.. 180/55/17 and 120/70/17.. medium compound.

Performance Cycle will go $305.00 .. this way I help out a local vendor..

I did find a set of dunlop 208gp's for $270 shipped to my door. Is this a good tire?

Joe

ebazyl
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Oh yeah, speaking of Dunlop:
Just got done emailing, Mark Newby the Rocky Mountain distributor does not have any DOT tires is stock as of right now. But will order some if you pay for shipping....WOW

Hoopty
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM
:pointlaugh: Customer service at it's greatest!!! :no:

japrules
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Oh yeah, speaking of Dunlop:
Just got done emailing, Mark Newby the Rocky Mountain distributor does not have any DOT tires is stock as of right now. But will order some if you pay for shipping....WOW

Do the 208gp stack up to the Michelin Pilot Race? I think $270 is a killer deal.. and they are in stock!

Joe

ebazyl
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 04:50 PM

:slap: Only reason I am email him is because he still owes me $141 in tires.

ebazyl
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Do the 208gp stack up to the Michelin Pilot Race? I think $270 is a killer deal.. and they are in stock!

Joe

Disclaimer: The following is just my opinion, so keep that in mind.

First you have to make the distinction between the two different sets of Michelins and the two different sets of Dunlops.

Michelin sets:
1. PR set (two differnt choises of fronts, 3 different choises of rears) - $370 retail but you can probably bargain for that, or find a online deal
2. Medium set (that deal you found)

Dunlop sets:
1. US front, UK rear - $327 + shipping
2. US front, US rear - $259 (before Newby increased prices) + shipping, don't know what the are now.

My ranking:
1. Michelin PR set - Out of this world, I think it is better then the Michelin slick, also I am getting preaty good life out of them
2. Michelin Medium Set -preat similar probably a little better in warmer weather then the Dunlop UK/US
2. Dunlop US/UK set - preaty similar, probably a little better in colder weather then Michelin Medium
4. Dunlop US/US set - worthless, worse initial grip, and i wasted a set in about 30 mins.

Also keep in mind that different people have different opinions of tire vendors. Some people will not run brand XXXXXXXX, because of vendor. While others had issues with brand YYYYYYYYY, because the vendor would not know the compound for a confidential tire.

Polar X
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Sorry about that JAPRULES, The prices went up 10 bucks a tire since I got mine. :oops: someone must have told them what a good deal they had :321: bastards.

Still cheaper than you can get them locally. I was quoted 215 for rear only.

Anyway, sorry about that.

Devil954
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I ordered 3 sets of 208 gp's from him a month ago he still doesnt have them so I cancelled the order Oh yeah he did want me to pay the shipping on them :lol: I now will never use Dunlop again :lol:

hcr25
Mon Apr 4th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Who wants to bet Newby is not selling tires this year??
Very few tires in stock,when everyone is wanting to practice for the season that is just weeks away!
Kinda bullshit. Just my opinion
I will still take your money if you want to bet :D

jplracing
Mon Apr 4th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Joe,

The combo on the GSXR were S2 front and M2 rear....at least when you bought the bike.

I agree with both ebazyl and lel. Everybody has their opinions as to what tire is best, however that is subjective. You need to find out what works for you. By the way the 600's suspension was set up to use the S2/M2 Michelin combo. If you change ... talk with Marcus of RPS for the proper set up.

Even a set of take offs is better than a set of street rubber. You can find a number of fast guys who will only put a ROR on a set and turn around and sell for $80-$100 at the track...just ask around

The things that I looked for were:

Tire Life/performance
Price
Vendor Support

Just my .02. If you need more info let me know info.

Lel
Mon Apr 4th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Newby isnt going to be selling tires this year... hit up Faster Performance at 303.825.0975 for your dunlops

lel

ebazyl
Mon Apr 4th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Who wants to bet Newby is not selling tires this year??
Very few tires in stock,when everyone is wanting to practice for the season that is just weeks away!
Kinda bullshit. Just my opinion
I will still take your money if you want to bet :D

Well I got $1 saying he will. My guess is that he found out a way to make people pay for shipping too.

Last I emailed him, he had no DOT rears. :dunno:

Either way I hope that Newby is smart enough to get some before the start of the season, otherwise there are going to be a Dunlop racers out of luck.

But don't take it from me: tireguy51@msn.com, he could have got tires by now.

Lel
Mon Apr 4th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Newby is out of the Dunlop business completely, talk to Nick or Keith at faster at 303.825.0975

ebazyl
Mon Apr 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Oh well, I guess I owe Mike a dollar. :shock:

Filo
Mon Apr 4th, 2005, 10:31 PM
OK, I'll ask - WHY isn't Newby selling tires? His brother/cousin/uncle/whatever still is selling with Sport Tire Services ( www.sporttire.com/contactus.htm ) . What happened? No more money in it to make it worth while? Has Shellinger really been taking that much business? BTW I also asked Mark about tires three weeks ago and he said he would let me know as soon as he had them. I guess I'll go with Schellinger again...

Oh yeah, back on topic - definitely go with race tires. Your streets will get all oily and slick and nasty and you will have to pay to have the seat of your leathers cleaned after every race.

BlueDevil
Tue Apr 5th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Newby pumped me up all winter about the deals he was going to give our team this year. Finally came down to it and I never heard from him again. I had heard all the horror stories about these types of things and thought Id give him the bennefit of the doubt and at least see what he had to offer. After all the hoopla I decided to not even bother (So did the rest of the team)

Hoopty
Tue Apr 5th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Wow, I may actually consider Dunlops again! :lol:

ebazyl
Tue Apr 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Newby pumped me up all winter about the deals he was going to give our team this year. Finally came down to it and I never heard from him again. I had heard all the horror stories about these types of things and thought Id give him the bennefit of the doubt and at least see what he had to offer. After all the hoopla I decided to not even bother (So did the rest of the team)

Yeah, kind of strange, I got an offer from him about a month ago, and now he is not doing it. And now Faster is in charge? When did they get the capital to do it? and Newby and his brother allowed this?

Things don't fit. :( I think I know what I am smelling. :twisted:

japrules
Tue Apr 12th, 2005, 08:44 PM
FYI... I couldn't get michelins fast enough... so because the guys at TK are really nice I bought a set of Bridgestones.. I know they will turn to stone sooner than the michelins but I am hoping they are more responsive in terms of grip than the michelins.. the pilots seem to abruptly give away even in a steady state.. the guys at TK tell me the bridgestones start to slide a bit before thet just let loose.. personally, I like that idea better..

anyway.. I think I'll try dunlops next..

Joe

cu360r6
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 02:29 AM
the pilots seem to abruptly give away even in a steady state.. the guys at TK tell me the bridgestones start to slide a bit before thet just let loose.. personally, I like that idea better..

I've heard that too, but apparently the new PR series michelins don't have this problem anymore.

Mista Black
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 03:00 AM
i like southwest moto tires. prices are decent and they ship free if you order a set (front and back)

http://www.swmototires.com

a set of Pilot Powers (street tires) are $227.90 delivered vs $239.98 from MotoX delivered.

the 208GP's are $278.90 from SWMT vs $299.98 from MotoX delivered

MotoX (for me) has shipping at $25 a set. their price is good but shipping is high.

Lel
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 10:07 AM
i like southwest moto tires. prices are decent and they ship free if you order a set (front and back)

http://www.swmototires.com

a set of Pilot Powers (street tires) are $227.90 delivered vs $239.98 from MotoX delivered.

the 208GP's are $278.90 from SWMT vs $299.98 from MotoX delivered

MotoX (for me) has shipping at $25 a set. their price is good but shipping is high.

Those 208GP's from swmototire for $278.90 are the US Front, US Rear.

Faster will be offering these tires at $265 a set!!! Mounted!!!

They will also offer the US Front/UK Rear (which will be a tripple compound tire I believe) for $335 a set!

Jason

Bigtime73
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Japrules,
If you are considering a few races, I'd consider first, reliability, purpose, and expense. As well as safety. Some on here have suggested "take offs", I couldn't disagree more. Maybe for practice, but you are a novice and will not burn up tires. Get a new pair on race day before the last practice before your race. Scrub them in, then go race. If you're doing a sprint race as opposed to the endurance, you'll still enjoy the grip and security of the new tires. Vanmar, who is the Michelin rep can and will provide you the best service and tires. They are at the track, you save time and gas by not traveling around to get the tires mounted and you know that Mark will help you understand your tires. Just my $.02c

Lel
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM
FWIW, Faster will be at all 10 MRA events with Dunlop tires, as well as being out at the school this weekend.

As well as Donnie Hough was hired by Faster to help at the trackside tire set up, mounting. Donnie is a previous MRA #1 plate holder including! racing some international 250 gp's at the time of Biaggi and Capirossi racing 250's; he brings a WEALTH of knowledge to the track.

I guess FWIW.

Mista Black
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 11:13 AM
will they only be selling race tires or DOT sport tires too?? i'm on a heavy, slow, under powered BMW... i dont need the stickiest thing known to man on it for PPIR.

Lel
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I believe only race tires right now but that could very well change, I will have to check into the DOT street spec.

Jason

Anonymous
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Jason - calm down there bro, you've advertised Faster 4 times in this thread already. ;) I think we know about the company now.

I'm planning to have some Pilot Powers at R2SL as well. I'm racing on them for a little while (they're "street" but are just that good) and believe they will make a great trackday tire (especially for grinding out the laps at Pikes). Don't have a price just yet, but it will be cheap in the interest of charity. ;)

ebazyl
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 11:46 AM
:imwithstupid: Mark Newby Jr. (Lel) :lol:

Lel
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
sorry about that, just read though peoples posts and try to give relevant info from what they are talking about... I really should put all my thoughts into one post huh??

lol

jason

Lel
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM

haha your so funny and cool how do I get to be like you?

BlueDevil
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I was watching this thread just for the Dunlop info dealing with Faster. Newby screwed alot of people and getting the new skinny is important. Shoot lel start another thread if you have to.

ebazyl
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 12:39 PM
:dunno: You can start by switching to Michelin.

haha your so funny and cool how do I get to be like you?

BlueDevil
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I rode Michelin 2 years ago and I was really happy with them. This years prices are to much for my wallet.

Hoopty
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
:dunno: You can start by switching to Michelin.

:spit: Ok, now that was funny! :lol:

BD- I hear ya, Newby is the sole reason I never tried Dunlops. I agree on the Michellin prices also, too much for me. I'm happy with my Bridgestone's for well under $300/set. :)

ebazyl
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I rode Michelin 2 years ago and I was really happy with them. This years prices are to much for my wallet.

Can't argue with that. :cry:

I guess $335 (dunlop) vs $370 (michelin) is a big gap, and less then $300 (brigestone) is an even bigger diffrence.

Hoopty
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah, especially when you buy a set every weekend. $100 more per set comes out to $1000 for the season. :shock: Team Bridgestone at approx $250/set sounds good to me! :D

ebazyl
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Is that for the new BT-002 tires? (TK - rocks :applause: ) What is TK retail on them (so we are comparing the same thing)?

I know a lot of people are paying a lot lower then 370 for Michelin and 335 for Dunlop.

BlueDevil
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, especially when you buy a set every weekend. $100 more per set comes out to $1000 for the season. :shock: Team Bridgestone at approx $250/set sounds good to me! :D

Hell yeah. Im in the same boat. 10 sets costs a bundle. 100 per set is a ton o cash to me. In addition, I actually like the Bridgestones alot. They last a good long time, give good warning when they are done, and heat up super fast. Especially the new 002's. They are far superior to the 001 IMO Id ride Mich if they were way cheeper. Id ride Dunlop if I didnt have to deal wiuth Newby. Bridgestone and TK........ Not a negative to say about that deal. Ill stick with my Stones!!!!

I think reg price for Stones is ~305. Our team was quoted 370 a set for Mich......

Anonymous
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM
sorry about that, just read though peoples posts and try to give relevant info from what they are talking about... I really should put all my thoughts into one post huh??

lol

jason

I only have ONE question for you and your company however.

Can we still go three seconds faster on Dunlop tires now that Newby is out of the business? :twisted:

Anonymous
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Can we still go three seconds faster on Dunlop tires now that Newby is out of the business? :twisted:
................ :pointlaugh:

One thing that I don't recall having been mentioned yet (and it's kind of important) - no matter what tires you get, make sure your bike's geometry is adjusted for them - each brand (and often even different models within the same brand) will have different profiles (taller, shorter), causing different ride characteristics unless the geometry has been raised/lowered accordingly. Each of the tire vendors should have the specifics for any bike.

Oh, and last I heard (which was last year), regular price on the Bridgestones was $305/set (and yes, that's the BT-002's). 8)

ebazyl
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM

:lol: :applause:

You forgot Newby's favorite line of "If you where on Dunlops you would not have crashed." :lol:

Lurch
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 05:24 PM
One thing that I don't recall having been mentioned yet (and it's kind of important) - no matter what tires you get, make sure your bike's geometry is adjusted for them - each brand (and often even different models within the same brand) will have different profiles (taller, shorter), causing different ride characteristics unless the geometry has been raised/lowered accordingly. Each of the tire vendors should have the specifics for any bike.

The above statement can't be more TRUE. Don't switch tire brands without finding out the the profile of the tires. I switched to Pirelli's this year(which are sold by Racer Supply, who will be at all 10 races, and are by far the best tire for the $$$$)and had a heck of a time getting the setup switched from my previous tire brand. Also make sure you get the same compound all the time. Don't take the vendors word find the code on the tire and check it everytime you buy tires. Also be very cautious when a vendor says they have a special tire for you. You could end up on your head very quickly.

Lurch

Lel
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 09:22 PM
HAHAHAH nice ralph. Nah dunlops wont make you 3 seconds faster. Tires are tires each have a plus and a minus... imo it is almost more rider preference then anything else. I know everyone here could learn to ride any brand of tire we have been talking about... just a preference thing. I like dunlops because thats what I am getting to know... I really dont have any experience on any other set of tires (hense why I dont talk about them) and only talk about dunlops because thats all i know.

As for people getting less then 335 a set for the dunlops thats not true. There is not a single person paying less then 335 a set (retail is 349 I believe) 335 for US front, UK tripple compound rear tire is the price for the ENTIRE MRA. This is for the US 208 gp front, UK Sportmax (aka 209 gp) tire.

Jason

cu360r6
Wed Apr 13th, 2005, 09:58 PM
So how are ppl getting less than 370 on michelins?