PDA

View Full Version : Bike got stolen out of my garage last night - FOUND!!

Urban_Assault
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
It's an '08 red Buell Scg. Has a carbon fiber windscreen, handguards, custom LED tail, and a loud exhaust with heat wrap.

VERY easy to spot, so if anyone see's the fucker riding around town, kick him in the nuts for me and hold him until I get there with my crowbar.

http://atvcolorado.com/attachments/Buell/IMAG0061.jpg

Captain Obvious
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
That sucks, very sharp looking bike.

mecham
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
wow...bold. please explain how this happened?

opened side door and pushed bike out?
you left the garage door open?

nice looking bike and will be easyto spot.

gtn
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Damn! That really sucks. I'll keep an eye out.

I sleep well at night knowing my bike is stored in a locked garage. Your situation makes me a bit uneasy. Can you tell us how the thief managed to do it? I'm a prevention guy and just trying to understand how to avoid the same thing.

Urban_Assault
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Not sure. I'm guessing they came in through the side door and pulled the garage door release. If they had used the opener, I think I would have heard it.

Keys were sitting on a shelf in the garage, dumb mistake on my part.

sprtbkbabe
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Corporal punishment for thieves! Preferrably drawn and quartered!

Ol'Skool
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Nice bike, hope you get it back.

Matty
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
that sux...... hope you get your shit back.

Panman06
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Damn. I'll keep an eye out. Sounds like it may be time to reinforce the side door on the garage.

rforsythe
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
That really sucks!

GixxerCarrie
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
I always leave my key in the garage too...lesson learned....Wow...hope you get it back soon!

RajunCajun
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Hope your insurance takes care of you, if you don't get it back. Good Luck!

= Buckeye Jess =
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
That really does blow on so many different levels. I'm just about to get a garage and having been waiting to breathe a big sigh of relief upon doing so....now - not so much. Here's to a rapid recovery!!

sloridr
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Good luvk with finding it. and think about Lo-Jack or something for the next bike you get.

Kristen87
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
bummer... hope you get your bike back soon. They must have been really watching you for them to take the bike from your own garage.

McVaaahhh
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Did they break/pick the door, or was it unlocked?

Totally sucks man, I'll keep my eyes open for it. What part of town?

I always leave my keys in my bikes in the garage, because I figure if they're going to basically break into my house to get the bike, it's gone if the keys are there or not.

Not sure. I'm guessing they came in through the side door and pulled the garage door release. If they had used the opener, I think I would have heard it.

Keys were sitting on a shelf in the garage, dumb mistake on my part.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
Corporal punishment for thieves! Preferrably drawn and quartered!
Corporal hell, CAPITAL punishment is more like it!:banghead::scream1:

Sorry to hear it man, and best of luck getting it back in one piece.

DorJammer
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
So my ADT security evaluation on my house resulted in a very starteling observation.

If you have an automatic garage door opener, anyone (and this guy did it in under 5 seconds) can simply push on the top of the door slip a coat hanger through the top, and if you have the pull rope with the neat little T shaped handle, he can have the door unlocked and opened in seconds.

I no longer have the T handle. and now I have a motion detector in my garage

Tylar
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
So my ADT security evaluation on my house resulted in a very starteling observation.

If you have an automatic garage door opener, anyone (and this guy did it in under 5 seconds) can simply push on the top of the door slip a coat hanger through the top, and if you have the pull rope with the neat little T shaped handle, he can have the door unlocked and opened in seconds.

I no longer have the T handle. and now I have a motion dector in my garage

un-tying mine right now.

mecham
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
un-tying mine right now.

ditto when I get home...hopefully my shit is still there :shocked:

hcr25
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Really sorry to hear about your bike. It seems hard to believe someone randomly went into your garage and took your keys and your bike. Either some asshole has been watching you and your routine or maybe a friend said something to a friend about your habits.
No matter how it happened it sucks.

You dont see a lot of bikes like that, what is the last half of your VIN#? so if we see one parked somewhere.
mike

Rooster
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
[quote=Urban_Assault;512788]It's an '08 red Buell Scg. Has a carbon fiber windscreen, handguards, custom LED tail, and a loud exhaust with heat wrap.

VERY easy to spot, so if anyone see's the fucker riding around town, kick him in the nuts for me and hold him until I get there with my crowbar.

http://atvcolorado.com/attachments/Buell/IMAG0061.jpg

do you have lo-jack? if so they can turn your shit on and find it. if you dnot have it then i suggest you get it put on when you get it back. a bike like that wont stay hidden for long. it would be around $900 to get it on your bike. unless you catch a end of season deal or something. good luck with getting it back. i will keep my eyes open for sure.

thatmofo
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I hope you find who took it. Let us all know so we can provide you with assistance!

bennice
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:44 PM

Yup, I got this same tip from a garage door repair man. If you have windows on the garage door, some thieves will just break that and yank the rope to gain entry. I cut the rope off my door as soon as he told me that.

A motion detector in the garage is a good idea that very few people think of.

Urban_Assault
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Got a call earlier this evening, they found the bike.

It was out east of town on Hwy 24, run out of gas. I hope he had a long walk home in the cold. At least I know the dumbass burnt his leg on the exhaust, that's a little bit comforting. :hump:

Just got home... Was a beautiful night for a ride. :)

chad23
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
good to hear!!! no more key in the garage, for me too

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM

Note to self: Install up a high current wire where the rope should be.

Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
congrats dude thats awesome news. had mine lifted in the spring its the worst feeling ever. sweet lookin bike, i would have gladly run the dude off the road for u :)

Airreed
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Any damage to the bike?

Ninja2
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hope they catch the person. Breaking and entering to steal the bike is a pretty serious offense, especially if the garage is attached. Glad you are doing well, and that you have your bike back.

McVaaahhh
Tue Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Excellent news. :up:

Hack Job
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:18 AM
Thats awesome man! Not often you hear of a stolen vehicle returned in good shape!

P_Mahone
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
watch craiglist and any place selling or asking to buy buell parts.
thieves can lick my nether regions
ggrrrrrrr
LOVE my XB.....i'd be really lost with out it.

P_Mahone
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
yeah x eleventy billion
dont store the key and vehicle together.
glad you got it back !!!

P_Mahone
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
hey urban.......
maybe have the dealer give the bike the once over....ride it and all.if ANYTHING is out of the ordinary.....file an insurance claim.
when cars get recovered ,man EVERY little ding and scratch is suddenly from the theft LOL
you pay for the insurance.....make sure to use it if ANY little thing was done by the scumbag.scratches on bottom of the muffler etc etc .and bottom of forks and swing arm.anything.

P

Zach929rr
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:40 AM
Good news :up:

No word on the perp(s), I take it :/

DavidofColorado
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Glad to see you got it back. I hope they pick up the guy that stole it.

Urban_Assault
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
No major damage that I can see. A few scratches on the tail section/airbox cover, and he screwed up my exhaust wrap when he melted his leg on it... Other than that, it seems to be running OK.

I'll be talking with the insurance today.

As for LoJack, I've got my own security system I'm developing. Actually been working on it for a few months in my spare time, guess I'll have to work on finishing it a bit sooner.

Will have GPS tracking, so you can log onto Google Earth yourself and see exactly where the bike is at all times. I'm adding features such as a live video feed, so you can see the face of the person riding it... The stuff all works, it's just a matter of getting it into a package that you can mount on the bike inconspicuously.

It sends data over the cell network, so anywhere with cell phone coverage you can track it and tap into the video feed. Depending on the bike, I can tap into the ECU and monitor engine parameters like temp, fuel level, RPM, speed, etc... Possibly even kill the motor myself.

You just add it onto your existing cell phone plan, and pay whatever monthly fee your cell company charges (Usually $15-$20 a month)

mathman1000
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Great news Urban Assault! Never know, maybe with the insurance claims it may work out in your favor.

sloridr
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
No major damage that I can see. A few scratches on the tail section/airbox cover, and he screwed up my exhaust wrap when he melted his leg on it... Other than that, it seems to be running OK.

As for LoJack, I've got my own security system I'm developing. Actually been working on it for a few months in my spare time, guess I'll have to work on finishing it a bit sooner.

Will have GPS tracking, so you can log onto Google Earth yourself and see exactly where the bike is at all times. I'm adding features such as a live video feed, so you can see the face of the person riding it... The stuff all works, it's just a matter of getting it into a package that you can mount on the bike inconspicuously.

It sends data over the cell network, so anywhere with cell phone coverage you can track it and tap into the video feed. Depending on the bike, I can tap into the ECU and monitor engine parameters like temp, fuel level, RPM, speed, etc... Possibly even kill the motor myself.

You just add it onto your existing cell phone plan, and pay whatever monthly fee your cell company charges (Usually $15-$20 a month)

First off Congrats on gettin her back. She's too nice to loose. Get some DNA and send it to CSI tell'm to make a show out of it to.
Now this dealy your making might be worth while!!! I currently have Lo-jack w/ early warning set up. And yes it works, the early warning part.

RajunCajun
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM

Great news!!!! That system sounds pretty sick, you might end up being a millionaire!!!

Urban_Assault
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Great news!!!! That system sounds pretty sick, you might end up being a millionaire!!!

Yeah, it's really just for personal use. I don't know if I'll produce them for sale, but we'll see what happens when I get the bugs worked out. If there's enough interest, who knows...

Thanks for the support, guys. It's been a huge relief getting her back.

-Tim

CaneZach
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Wow Tim! I'm glad you got your bike back.

TFOGGuys
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, it's really just for personal use. I don't know if I'll produce them for sale, but we'll see what happens when I get the bugs worked out. If there's enough interest, who knows...

Thanks for the support, guys. It's been a huge relief getting her back.

-Tim
Maybe you should have the option to divert the coil outputs to the front of the seat :zap:.... Jus' sayin'

longrider
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Not to rain on anybodies parade, but I would be very careful before you start selling them. There is a reason Lojack will only report to the police, if the location company provides the info to the owner and he finds his bike and 'punishes' the thief then the company could be an accessory to assault or even murder.

DavidofColorado
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Not to rain on anybodies parade, but I would be very careful before you start selling them. There is a reason Lojack will only report to the police, if the location company provides the info to the owner and he finds his bike and 'punishes' the thief then the company could be an accessory to assault or even murder.
Your right. Maybe he will have to sell them for the absent minded drunk to find their bike in a parking lot.

Urban_Assault
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
In this case, I wouldn't be selling the location service, as LoJack does.

I would be selling a cellular data device to monitor your motorcycle. How you use that device and what you do with the information is your own business. No different than using a cell phone to track your employees, or children, (or spouse, as some people do...). In fact, it's the exact same technology.

I could see where someone might try to threaten a lawsuit, but since there is no ongoing service I'm providing other than a way to track your own property, on your own time, using your own resources, it legally puts me in the clear.

A woman can't sue Nokia for selling a cell phone that her husband used to track her down while she was cheating on him, especially if she STOLE the cell phone.

It's all baloney for now anyways. I'm one of those guys that starts a million projects and never finishes any of them. :turtle:

MileHighColt
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Glad to hear you got your baby back.
Interesting idea on the bike locator.

Hack Job
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM
he screwed up my exhaust wrap when he melted his leg on it...

well, a minor victory, but a victory none the less! :yay:

DavidofColorado
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I say make the kit and don't be one of those guys that never finishes a project. Don't be afraid of what 3rd parties are doing either it might stiffle your imagination. Let the lawyers figure it out.

puckstr
Tue Sep 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I say make the kit and don't be one of those guys that never finishes a project. Don't be afraid of what 3rd parties are doing either it might stiffle your imagination. Let the lawyers figure it out.

Agreed. Finish the project.
Ideas not acted upon will find someone else to fulfill them