PDA

View Full Version : cheap bike + drz, or street triple

chanke4252
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
I really don't like fully faired sportbikes. I've had my eye on a new street triple, but I wonder if I wouldn't be happier just getting a functional street bike and a DRZ as a secondary bike. Are the DRZ400SM's peppy enough to hike it up into the mtns for some riding, or would I have to trailer it up 70. I like to ride grand county, but live down in Parker, is why I ask.

Are there any other alternatives to the drz that are, cheap, up on power but also reliable (w/ reasonable service intervals)? I can't seem to find any.

What would you do?

Devaclis
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
A DRZ SM would suck to ride up to Grand all the time. They are fun but not on long highway rides.

willb003
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
yep what he said

brennahm
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I ride mine from Downtown Denver up 6 or 70 to get to the mtns. I also rode from Sedalia to Boulder on Sunday. Not fun (I also have mine +3 in the rear) but totally doable and in my mind a great street bike.

FWIW, the DR-Z makes IMI fun as hell.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Why not get a triple AND a drz? :)

sloridr
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
I love my DRZ but wouldn't take it on a long slap trip. But 40 miles wouldn't be bad not sure how far it is for you. On another note I hit my reserve @ about 65 miles DRZ only has 2.6 gallon tank stock.

chanke4252
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I'd be upgrading the tank.

Thanks for the input.

Joe
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I hit my reserve @ about 65 miles DRZ only has 2.6 gallon tank stock.

???
With my stock tank, I'll hit my reserve at 110 miles! (90 miles on a track) Check out Thumpertalk for jetting, it sounds like you're running rich. You can also head to Eddie at OTD if you live in Denver, or Kevin at Epic if you live up North - both of those guys can jet it.

I've tried 3 different seats on the DRZ, and it doesn't help - 250 miles/day is about all I can manage before I want to shoot myself or sell the bike.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I am hitting about 75 before researve on my 2005 S. Jetting and piping are done.

It really depends on how you ride it too. I lie jackrabbit starts :)

I have ridden the DRZ to Fairplay BOTH on dirt and on 285. Been to the Springs on I-25 a couple of times. I hated it every time except when I was on dirt (Forest service roads)

Limited range, motor revving high to maintain 75 MPH, uncomfortable seat all made for a less than fun ride.

BTW: The JD Jet kit at ThumperTalk takes 30 minutes to install and is pretty much plug and play.

sloridr
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm running a full yosh with CFR 39 mm carb jetted for 1500' elev. And its never gotton any better than that even stock. I ride it pretty hard too. However I will be going to see eddie when i return from work in a couple of months. Since i'm in Lakewoody.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:32 AM
You should drop it off to him while you are gone since you can't ride it anyway :)

That way it is kickin' ass when you get back!

sloridr
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Sure think he'll store it for 40 days? Cuz thats what i'd rather do. It's one less thing in my garage for my wife to run over w/ the car...

Devaclis
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
If he won't, I will. I have room.