PDA

View Full Version : cold weather riding

P_Mahone
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
well,monday was my first go at it.
went to silverthorne in the morning....figured the usual rain....and would be no big deal.well floyd hill sucked butt,blowing snow and then rain.then it dried out and just before the tunnel snow.not on the roads but i was careful and slower than usual just in case.west side of tunnel? snow..just a bit of actual slush on the road,so i was putting along at 30 mph and staying out of people's way.
ice was building up on face shield and used my hand and first and second fingers in a V to clean the inside and out so i could see.closing it was a joke so it stayed 3/4 open.i knew i was cold and i had to get my ass off the mountain so i just kept going on down to silverthorne.i pull into daz bog coffee and could barely get off the buell. got off and brushed the 1/2 in of ice off me and staggered on in.i was dizzy,and sure my temp was in the danger zone
and was minutes from a trip to the ER.i got my wet gear off and walked around inside to warm up and after a while my temp was back and my body had feeling in it.i wont be doing that again for sure!getting wet was my biggest hazard, and my gloves UGH got wet and then the liner would not go back and cant get a wet hand into a wet glove to operate the bike.
the snow danger was there,but the wet was the biggest hazard.
so dress to stay dry if u venture out.and mind your body temp and how your body and motor skills and function are.i was barely able to move and was getting really dizzy when i got off.if you fall too far into hypothermia on a bike....you could wake up dead.
dress in layers and keep the outer one of a type to keep you as dry as it can.

stay safe folks

scott

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
You are a lucky rider to figure that one out on your own and not at the ER.

P_Mahone
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
You are a lucky rider to figure that one out on your own and not at the ER.
i hear that !!LOL
i made sure i was all warmed up before i went back.WONT be doing that crap again.it is one thing getting wet 10 mins from home. never that far out again.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
i hear that !!LOL
i made sure i was all warmed up before i went back.WONT be doing that crap again.it is one thing getting wet 10 mins from home. never that far out again.

They make gear that works in those conditions. You might want to look into getting some. It isn't cheap though.

jbs80106
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Ride safe man. Good lesson learned. I have waterproof winter gloves on my bike, and neck-scarf-fleece thing I got in Breck on sale to keep the drafts out of my helmet. Can't say I've riden into snow before, but in CO...anything is possible.

CeMeN
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I feel ya... I rode to work one morning at the end of June about 4 years ago, hit Bethod pass and it was snowing like crazy!!! I don't know why I didn't just stop but I continued on riding with my feet hovering over the snow pack. I had a major visor problem, if I tried to close it I couldn't see cause it would fog up instantly! luckily I was dressed in water proof clothing... but berthod pass at 6a.m. in the snow is colder than shit! makes me shiver just thinkin about it! lol

sloridr
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Invest in a baclava you can find a nice one at most sporting good stores. Water proof pants @ the bike shop. Also i've heard a lot about "frog toggs" But never tried them on a bike. Ask a bmw guy they wear'm. I wear a North Face WindWall under my leather fully perfed jacket and an REI rain coat over the jacket. Fleece is a great thing it dries fast and also wicks moisture away from your skin, a lot like wool socks. One could wear fleece pants under the rain pant.Throw on a pair of wool socks too. For boots i have a pair of Oxtars' Gore-tex lined leather riding boots. You don't wanna wear cotton next to your skin it holds moisture in it instead of moving it away from your skin. Man made fabrics work well for this. Happy Winter riding.

asp_125
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
If you don't have rain gear or cold gear. There are a few things that you should carry in a tank bag for such emergencies: a few of those chemical hand warmer packs, a pair of latex gloves, a garbage bag. It all packs down pretty small. The gloves keep water off your hands inside wet gloves. The garbage bag can be worn under a jacket to keep the wind out (poke three holes, one for the head and two for the arms). The heat packs can go into pockets in your clothes. It's enough for you to make it to some shelter where you can get warm again.

asp_125
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Take a hint from boarders and skiers. Base layer of synthetic material, like UnderArmor. Insulating layer of fleece to trap air for warmth, and an outer layer that is wind/moisture proof material like a nylon windbreaker or golf windshirt. A motorcycle jacket with armor on top of all that for protection. Close the neck with a scarf or bandana or duct tape, keep air out and off the neck arteries supplying blood to the head. If your core is warm you can last longer on the bike even if your hands and feet are cold.

P_Mahone
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 12:57 AM
thanks guys

Connman
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Dress for the conditions and you would be fine.

Fyi, baclava is an Middle Eastern dessert. Perhaps a balaclava would be more suitable for a cold ride.:lol:

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Balaclava FTMFW!!!

That thing has kept me warmer than probably any other single piece of clothing. Layer it up and if push comes to shove, toss a waterproof ski jacket over your leathers to keep ya dry and if ya don't have any cold weather riding pants, toss a pair of snowboard pants over your jeans.

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 07:51 AM
.if you fall too far into hypothermia on a bike....you could wake up dead.

Sorry, I can't help but point out that I HATE it when I wake up dead.

Dress for the conditions and you would be fine.

Fyi, baclava is an Middle Eastern dessert. Perhaps a balaclava would be more suitable for a cold ride.:lol:
Well maintaining you metabolic needs is equally important in this scenario! =)

Anyway...yes, what everybody else has said - you have to be very careful and mindful of how your body is handling things. But also be aware of how your hands feel b/c it gets dicey when you can no longer feel them to control the throttle and levers! lol

MileHighColt
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Balaclava FTMFW!!!

That thing has kept me warmer than probably any other single piece of clothing. Layer it up and if push comes to shove, toss a waterproof ski jacket over your leathers to keep ya dry and if ya don't have any cold weather riding pants, toss a pair of snowboard pants over your jeans.

Agree on the snowboard pants. I've done that a few times before I got actual riding pants. The $$ you spend on good gear will pay for itself many times over when you're not absolutely miserable in crappy weather. The balaclava is a must. There's a brand out there called Turtle Fur that I use for snowboarding and it is the warmest/softest most comfortable stuff I've found.

Matty
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Take a hint from boarders and skiers.
:up:

Devaclis
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Board gear is good for the cold but in snowy cold conditions they are only water replellant, not water proof. You will find melting or wet snow getting into the tops of your boots, your cuffs and gloves, and the back of your neck. They also lack any kind of good padding or armor.

IMO, this IS just IMO, you are better off getting dedicated cold weather riding gear if you can afford it. My gear is all CE approved armor and has hard armor also. When it is cold, it is slick and the chances of an off are more likely. You also have slower reaction times to your controls due to bulkier clothing and gloves as well as reduced bloodflow to your extremeties.

A balaclava can be a mood saver. I would be miserable without mine. I prefer the ones that cover your entire head and also have a long neck covering that you can tuck way down into your jacket. It keeps out the wind and the rain/snow that WILL drip off your helmet and down your neck.

I have found that snowmobile gloves work best for me in the winter. They are not bulky, they are warm and waterproof and also have padding and in some cases, armor.

You will need to crack your visor when it is cold. There will be some fogging. If you wear contacts your eyes will water making it kind of tough to see so be aware of that as well.

If you plan on doing this a lot, invest in heater inner gear and good armored outter gear like the Aerostitch or Road Gear brands. You will be MUCH happier than trying to throw together a bunch of non purpose clothing to ride in frigid temps.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Good post D-man

Devaclis
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Thanky :)

1 other thing. A lot of people find this hard to do or just don't want to but, having a tank bag or tail bag or even a backpack that you can cary any high "R" value fleece or down clothing in is great! You will occasionaly find yourslef out there, properly geard up for the weather and STILL cold. Being able to toss on 1 more layer is like having a campfire and a hot cup of coffe there. It could make your ride :)

rforsythe
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Even in warm weather, being soaking wet and moving can trigger mild hypothermia. Being dry is everything! I had a ride like that once, and was almost to the point you were. Also one of those "never again" moments.

They make gear that works in those conditions. You might want to look into getting some. It isn't cheap though.

Yes they do, and it's worth every f'n penny. Aerostitch is the gold standard, however I also own Rev'It gear and have found it to be high quality as well. Expect to spend several hundred on a good full body suit (this does not include gloves, boots, etc) however if you ride in less than perfect weather you will quickly learn to love it.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Rev'IT is REALLY nice stuff! Do you have the full waterproof suit Ralp? I want one of those bad :)

rforsythe
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
A balaclava can be a mood saver. I would be miserable without mine. I prefer the ones that cover your entire head and also have a long neck covering that you can tuck way down into your jacket. It keeps out the wind and the rain/snow that WILL drip off your helmet and down your neck.

Haven't tried one of those yet, but I will. :up: I've been using one of those Turtle Fur neck gaiters with much success though; it collects anything wet around my neck, tucks into the jacket, and up into the helmet to act as a nice warm soft wind break.

I have found that snowmobile gloves work best for me in the winter. They are not bulky, they are warm and waterproof and also have padding and in some cases, armor.

Those work. I have been using my Black Diamond 'Ice' gloves (made for ice climbing, some of the most brutal-on-your-hands cold shit you can do) as well and they're perfect given what they were designed for.

If you plan on doing this a lot, invest in heater inner gear

Warm'N'Safe FTW! Good price, high quality, easy to use.

asp_125
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I love my electric vest, and heated grips. Handguards on the Beemer also block out some of the wind. Always have a backup plan though, electrical gear can fail, leaving you with not enough protection against the cold.

I have a 3/4 length touring jacket, which lets less cold air up in the kidney area. If it rains, regular rain gear keeps the wet to a minimum.

rforsythe
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Rev'IT is REALLY nice stuff! Do you have the full waterproof suit Ralp? I want one of those bad :)

I have the Dakar pants; I expect to be adding the Off Track matching jacket very soon. :) The pants are absolutely waterproof, but breathe well, and the removable insulating liner (kind of like a down parka in your pants) has been tested by me personally down to 15 degrees at 70mph and I was quite warm, without heated gear. I've also worn them at over 100 degrees and been comfortable with the ventilation provided. The matching jacket for the Dakar pants zips right into them and forms the full suit.

If I had to do it all over I might go one-piece, but I don't think I'm missing much of anything with this approach, and it affords me the ability to also wear these pants in the summertime with my mesh jacket for short runs where I still want protection (especially since my current winter jacket, a First Gear Kilimanjaro, is not summer friendly). I do however expect that if the Off Track jacket vents as good as the pants in the warm weather, I might go to wearing that year round.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Layers FTMFW!!

Ricky
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
We were headed down the mountain on the bikes between 12:30 and 2pm from Glenwood on Monday, and I don't think our experience was as bad as yours. It was snowing like crazy, but we kept the speed limit or more. We never saw any slush collecting on the road though. Never had to go half the speed limit either. We were both cold, but we stopped every 10 miles or so to give our hands some time to warm up a bit (The engine makes a great hand warmer), then we'd continue on. We got snowed on from Vail pass, all the way home. It was a fun experience really.

rforsythe
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Interestingly, the jacket I want is on closeout now apparently (even though it's a current thing on Rev'It's site)... Good news is that means I'm saving about $120 on it now. Bad news is, I gotta order it quickly. Oh well, new gear is neat.

Sean
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I just got some this year...ohh, they are so nice! They're extra warm cause they say Yamaha! I rode a couple of times this week and never had a problem. I was even wearing just a t-shirt under my fieldsheer jacket. Good gear is worth every penny!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM
They might have been lettered Yamadog but you were broadcasting SLOW :D

Sean
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM
They might have been lettered Yamadog but you were broadcasting SLOW :DNot the first time I've been called slow. :banghead:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm gonna load me up on some EU gear. Those yo-yo's ride in cold ALL the time. :twisted:

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/SubZero.asp