PDA

View Full Version : gear survey

P_Mahone
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
what do you all wear for the daily rides for pants?
anyone use knee protection?
and what for the feet?
i saw a pic on badweb of a ground down knee.....ewww knee protection is on my list as are some real pants for protection.i am thinking motocross type knee guards.

Zach929rr
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
I have been thinking about finding some semi-fashionable textile for around town.

Just been wearing jeans and steel toes on non-canyon rides.

CaneZach
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
I still wear my A* boots whenever I ride along with helmet, gloves and jacket at a minimum when I'm not carving up.

sloridr
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
After falling on the DRZ this past weekend... I'm firm believer in Leathers all the time. ATGATT

Jim_Vess
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I wear these under my jeans:

http://www.dragginjeans.com/category.aspx?categoryID=39

... with the optional knee armor:

http://www.dragginjeans.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SAS-05

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
......... and leather is comparatively warm too.

FZRguy
Wed Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
I wear padded moto shorts under heavy canvas pants that have knee padding. Got them from Aerostich. http://www.aerostich.com/

And always moto specific boots, gauntlet type gloves, and moto jacket.

willb003
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 01:21 AM
If I wear jeans...which is not that often I have MX knee shin guards under them and roadracing boots.
Also have fieldsheer textile pants with CE armor in knees and around waist. These are the most comfortable and I wear them the most.
Also have leather pants for track stuff or if I wanna look cool on the road.

jbs80106
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Textile pants w/CE armor, mesh jacket w/CE armor in all critical areas, FF helmet, boots...all black w/white piping (except military requires me to wear bright orange construction style vest to ride on base for visibility). Leather gloves w/armor on knuckles.

I wear my full gear year round except sometimes on hottest days will just pack the pants in case it rains.

Usually the AM ride is cool enough for full kit. This time of year I also have some cold weather gloves..actually ski style gauntles to keep wind from going up my sleeve.

Sean
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM
It all depends. Textile is great for any kind of weather. My textile pants aren't super comfy, so I usually wear them touring, bad weather and some commuting. When I want to ride a twisty road it's all about the leather. Truthfully speaking, any gear is better than no gear IMO.

If I guy has a ground down knee, there are two things wrong. 1. He's an idiot because he's sticking his knee out in the first place without any protection, and 2. if he was keeping his knee tucked in, that's to fast for the street, take it to a track. Keep in mind, #2 is extremely unlikely.

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Helmet, Gloves, & Boots minimum.
jacket for everything but optional for Tool'n around the neighborhood
Canyon carving = full leather, boots, gloves, helmet
I'll commute in jeans (depending on the weather

bulldog
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
In the canyons full leather, leather boots, leather gloves, helmet.

I did just buy the Alpinestars One-on-One shoe for riding around town and being comfortable walking around. I like them http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Alpinestars-One-O-One-Motorcycle-Shoes.aspx

MileHighColt
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:00 AM
FF Helmet, gloves, boots, jeans/pants, weather appropriate jacket (leather right now) for commuting to work.
Looking to get new textile pants for the upcoming winter (probably the Fieldsheer Mercury pants). Also looking at a new winter jacket (Fieldsheer Adventure) since my First Gear Kilimanjaro coat and First Gear pants are all too big now. (They are for sale!)

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM
The Fieldsheer Mercury pants (in silver) aren't bad in warm weather either. They have zipper vents on the thighs that work great when moving. They do get a tad toasty if you're just sitting around, but I've never gotten overly uncomfortable wearing just shorts under them. They also did just fine in cold and wet weather with under armor and the liner in.

MileHighColt
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the info Jess. I think those are going to be my birthday present to myself this weekend.

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Well happy birfday MHC!
As for the rest, I always have the FF helmet, textile jacket and gloves. 9 times out of 10 I'm wearing one of two pairs of textile pants with armor in them as well. Always wear my Sidi riding boots as well. I'm generally in leathers for canyons and track.

Matty
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:24 AM
under my jeans i wear a pair of motocross Fox knee and shin guards.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Old setup:

Firstgear Scout II jacket with liner
Firstgear Overpants
REI long underware (tops / bottoms)
Really thick wool socks
Alpinestar goretex boots
Olympia gloves
Eclipse electric vest
Eclipse electric chaps
Heated grips by Hotgrips
Olympia snowmobile gloves

Newer setup just includes a switch to the Alpinestar 2 piece RC-1 leather system. Jury is still out but will return a verdict by this Sunday night.

MileHighColt
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Damn Nick, that sounds like a weight loss program with all those layers and electircal equipment. Heated grips on my FJR are great though.

MileHighColt
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Well happy birfday MHC!
As for the rest, I always have the FF helmet, textile jacket and gloves. 9 times out of 10 I'm wearing one of two pairs of textile pants with armor in them as well. Always wear my Sidi riding boots as well. I'm generally in leathers for canyons and track.

Thanks Jess. Another year older, but still none the wiser. I really need to get some actual cycle boots. The old Doc Marten's are wearing out.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Damn Nick, that sounds like a weight loss program with all those layers and electircal equipment. Heated grips on my FJR are great though.

Very rarely wear the complete setup. Be prepared for the worst.

MileHighColt
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 08:48 AM
True, true. The Boy Scouts' motto lives on.

Ricky
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM
A* Leather jacket
A* SP1 leather racing gloves
A* one-o-one riding boots (awesome everyday boot)
Scorpion exo-1000 helmet
Jeans

The only difference is when I'm in the canyons, I wear leather pants.

Hack Job
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have Shift "havoc" leather pants if I'm going for a ride. Scorpion mesh/textile pants if its really hot or I'm just toolin around town for errands and such. I usually wear Alpinestars SMX+ boots, even if I'm just wearing jeans.

asp_125
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Work or around town: Carhartt double front jeans with knee padding
Armored Textile: BMW summer weight pants, Firstgear textile pants, Tourmaster Jean pants sometimes (they are a bit thin for ballistic nylon)
Leathers: A* and Teknic full leathers

I wear the BMW pants on the beemer, due to the habit of dual sports to take a dirt nap once in a while.

mathman1000
Thu Sep 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Same jacket - boots - gloves - helmet as always, the only thing that changes are the leather pants for group/long rides. Say no to squids....