PDA

View Full Version : Does Avon make good M/C tires??

Horn_E_NINJA
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 09:24 AM
I've never heard much on these tires. Does anyone have any experience with em? My tire needs consist of street with as many track days as I can get(two a month tops). The price for them is just below average which is always nice for poor folks. Thanks for any info you can give me. :)

This model looks like the best performance they offer.
Azaro-SP Sport AV49 & 50

ebazyl
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 09:37 AM
The 50's from 2 years ago on my gsxr 1000 where highside central. Not sure about the wear cause I sold them after 400 miles.

I don't know much about street tires :( , but I heard from some of the people with '05 R6s realy dig the OEM Dunlop 218s that come on them. Plus I see a lot of Michelin Power Streets at trackdays.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Nick_Ninja can tell you...but i think he's biased. My brother had them on his F3 and did street and track days and he didn't like them much.

Mista Black
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM
i have an avon on back of mine right now (the price was right) and an MEZ6 on front. my experience with this setup is they drift nice and predictibly on my r1100s. how they'll handle on another bike.... :dunno:

as for milage i've got about 2.5K on it and it's about to need a change. your milage may vary.

it's an avon 46

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I got 7K + on the Azaro-ST AV49 & 50 set up. They are an all round good tire for 'sport touring'.

The Sport compound are more sticky. But if you are going to do track days they prolly aren't your type. Michelin Pilot Power would be more your tyre.

Pilot Power vs. the Azaro on a 600 lb. motorcycle are two different animals.

Horn_E_NINJA
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The Avons just don't give me the warm fuzzy feeling I'm looking for. Guess I'll stick with The Corsa.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Try the pilot powers!!! Or even the Pilot Sports...i'm at 6,500 miles and that's including 2 track days!

~Barn~
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I have SP 49's and 50's on my R1, and have done days at Second Creek and Pueblo, as well as my usual day-to-day riding and canyon runs.

I like them just fine, but I'll admit that I do want to try the Pilot Powers. I have a feeling though, that I won't get the mileage out of the Michelin's, that I'm getting out of these Avons.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure the Miche's are going to be more expensive.

~Barn~
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Try the pilot powers!!! Or even the Pilot Sports...i'm at 6,500 miles and that's including 2 track days!

I hate you. I was lucky to get 3200 miles out of a Pilot Sport rear on my last R1. :down:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
That's the difference between 1000cc's and 600cc's. Plus, I never do burnouts and I couldn't wheelie if my life depended on it.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 08:15 PM
My life depends on me NOT wheelieing :D

PharmerKyle
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I got great mileage from the Azaros when i used them on the 750Sport. I did a few track days and even ground a little off of my side stand with them on a 400 pound bike. When they got a little older (and a little cooked), I ended up lowsiding on them and the thrill was gone. I have preferred the Diablos for the last two years.

All I really should tell you if you go Azaro is USE THE RIGHT SIZE! Don't do the typical ego-feeding "I need to go one size up 'cuz I'm so ffbleeping fast" thing. The larger sizes won't work on some rims without folding back in. In other words, you'll never get the chicken-strips worn off without leaning far enough to lowside.

... as usual, I base this on absolutely nothing and am open to friendly disagreement.