PDA

View Full Version : GSXR Rotors

Mel
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 02:50 PM
So, this is my first time asking for advice...I am kinda new at this, so bear with me. My name is melanie and I am addicted to....oh, wait, wrong topic.

So I am getting some vibration (I guess is the best way to explain it) when I stop. Feels much like a car with warped rotors. I have 3 piston brakes on the front, but have kinda neglected the rotors. Are they cutable or is it just better to get new ones? How much do they run, and where is the best place to get them?

I have a 97 GSXR 600, but rotors were the same 600 and 750, and I am not sure, but may even be the same as the new ones.

Feathered upstart!
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 02:56 PM
If your rotors are warped they are pretty much paper weights now.

Brand new rotors are going to be real pricey, 700 candians dollars or so. :shock:
Best bet is to check eBay, you can good good contition rotors for almost nothing that way.
Given how important a bikes brakes are its not soemthing you want to chance if you think you current discs are FUBAR

Mel
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Well, it stops fine, it just kinda pulses or something when you are stopping....just wanted to see what it will cost me should I have to actually get off my fat ass and do something about them.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM
yeah...you are looking at $200 each...im w/ Notto...go eBay!

Mel
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 03:27 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7964846453&category=6749

Anyone know off hand what years and models are the same? I know 600 and 750 were, but I don't know how different (if at all) the new ones are.

Anonymous
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Be careful with eBay!! It doesn't take much warp in a rotor to make it pulse and the seller could either be bullshitting you, or just might not even know.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 03:30 PM
600 and 750's had the same 320mm rotors through 2003 (also the same as the TL1000 and Hayabusa) Melanie your rotors may not be warped. Alot of times the backing on the pads will warp and give you the same feeling. Since your right around the corner from me, bring your bike by and i can check it out. We change your fluid if you haven't done that in awhile.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Where do you live jim...i'm coming by too! :lol:

Mel
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Jim, I might have you do that....I just did all the fluids, so I am good there. I would ask Richard to look at it since he is a mechanic, but he has no freaking clue how to ride, and can't really test out the brakes without riding it first. :D Gimme a call sometime and a second opinion would be nice to have.

Oh, and there is a good possibility on the pad idea....I bought the calipers used off a wrecked 750, and did not put in new pads, I just threw the whole thing on one weekend.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Where do you live jim...i'm coming by too! :lol:

Not unless you are bringing beer! ;)

";p="190276]Jim, I might have you do that....I just did all the fluids, so I am good there. I would ask Richard to look at it since he is a mechanic, but he has no freaking clue how to ride, and can't really test out the brakes without riding it first. :D Gimme a call sometime and a second opinion would be nice to have.

Oh, and there is a good possibility on the pad idea....I bought the calipers used off a wrecked 750, and did not put in new pads, I just threw the whole thing on one weekend.

I'll be in the garage the next three night wrenching so swing on by.