PDA

View Full Version : post purchase tune-up

crazdcanuk
Wed Mar 30th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Just purchased a '91 FZR600 with 17k miles. Overall it is in good condition for being 14 years old. It's a lot more fun than the Seca II I had before it. Anyway, I plan on getting my hands dirty this weekend and putting some labor into the bike. I'm planning on doing an oil and filter change, replace the spark plugs, clean and lube the drive chain, and general lube and cleaning. Is there anything specific that would be a good idea to do? Also, what is the best way to go about cleaning and lubing the chain? I'd like to avoid taking it off, but I'll do what needs to be done.

General maintenance tips would also be appreciated. I have the manual and a good grasp of mechanical know how, so most general things I should be able to tackle. Thanks.

Charlie

P.S. Am I right in assuming that everything will be metric?

RAGrote
Thu Mar 31st, 2005, 07:20 AM
As long as you're there;

Here's a web site. A guy named Larry. (http://www.tourtimemedia.com/fzr/)

Metric...definitely.
Drain all the gas, inspect the inside of the tank. filter? change it.
Carbs? drain the bowls. refill and sync the carbs if possible.
Are you doing the valves? If not, just listen for noise....
Pull all the electrical connectors apart and lube with silicone or dielectric grease.
The chain is more difficult. I use kerosene or WD-40 and clean rags (WD-40 if the gunk isn't too heavy). Wash, rinse, repeat... patience. Roll the bike around and do small sections at a time.
Adjust the tension.
Torque the axle pinch nuts and axle nuts (front and rear)
Quick check on the sprocket bolts to insure tightness.
Bleed the brakes if the fluid is dark.

If ya can't do all that... just do the stuff that'll kill ya if it fails. :idea:

ride

Lomax
Thu Mar 31st, 2005, 07:20 AM
If you have the manual my first recommendation would be to give it whatever is called out for in the scheduled maintenance. I am not sure of the schedule on that bike but I think there is a fairly inclusive one for 16K or 18K miles or something. To clean the chain (here we go on the chain thread again :lol: ) I would use a tooth brush and Kerosene to scrub out all the little nooks and cranny's. Then ride it around the block to warm up the chain a little and lube it with proper chain lube. If you do not have Kerosene then WD40 will work fine. I have heard that WD40 leaves a film and that the chain lube will not stick quite as good but have no proof of this. If it is not included in the scheduled maintenance I would also make sure you check the head bearings for any play. This can easily be done by getting the front wheel off the ground by your preferred method and then trying to move the front wheel from front to back. You should feel no movement or looseness. Check brakes for function and pad wear. Maybe even change the brake fluid as you do not know when it was done last. Make a good check of tires not only for tread but also for weather checking. Check the sprockets for wear and the chain for wear. One easy way to check the chain for wear is that when it is adjusted properly according to the book, grab it at the rear and try to pull it straight away from the rear sprocket. If it pulls away enough to almost uncover the entire sprocket tooth then it needs to be replaced. If you have any questions concerning safety (which is almost everything on the bike) please get with someone familiar with the bike or even break down and ask questions of the dealer.

That is all for now. :D

Ride Safe.
Marc

crazdcanuk
Thu Mar 31st, 2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys. I plan on doing as much of the 18k service as possilbe, but I only have about a 6 hour window on Saturday to do my work in (not my shop or tools). So I'm trying to get the most out of my time. I will be able to sync the carbs, but I don't plan on doing the valves. Is there an easy method for getting the front wheel off the ground without having the proper stand? Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up and ride with people sometime soon.

Charlie

Bashed
Fri Apr 1st, 2005, 08:34 AM
Check and or flush the coolant as well.
Check and adjust the tire pressure.Important!
Check and lube all cables.
Late Bash