http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he6TL15pJtw

McVaaahhh
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Another one:

'09 Chevy Malibu vs. '59 Chevy Bel Aire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Ricky
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Somehow, the smart car test makes me feel safer on my bike...

Matty
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
bye bye smartcar.

Canuck
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM
The shell (were the driver is inside) held up remarkably well and as 'Fifth Gear' proved, the SMART car is extremely strong structurally. The only problem is the lack of crumple zone to absorb the impact. Leaving your body internals to absorb a good brunt of it.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 11:05 AM
brunt force! ROR!

Filo
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I thought the '59 Bel Aire did worse than the Smart Car. I did like watching the Smart car fly though. However, if we all drove Smart cars instead of the behemoth land whale suvs that most of us seem to prefer it wouldn't be a problem. Ask Dirk for a physics lesson if you don't get it.

Tipys
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Somehow, the smart car test makes me feel safer on my bike...

I get that safer feeling when I am sitting next to one and I am bigger then it when I am on my bike.

TFOGGuys
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I gotta wonder how the Mercedes would fare against, say an F350 diesel....

Yeah, I'm a Smart owner, and I drive pretty defensively :321:

Much like being on a bike, they can't kill what's not there to hit.

willb003
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hey SUMO no more playing chicken for you!

Spiderman
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Got this via email about a month ago... been meaning to post it up for some time now.

Apparently this is a wreck in Jefferson Parish, LA (near New Orleans ) between two trucks and a Smart Car.
:shocked:

Canuck
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Holy shit! I just watched the Bel-Air v. Malibu. I knew the outcome would favour the new technology, but Jesus! :shocked: Seeing it from different angles and in Madden style slow-motion made it even more shocking. Amazing how far technology has made driving safer.

Canuck
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hey Bob, did you hear about the guy in Quebec who recently lived through the same type of accident, but was in a Mazda 3. He stated that the small car size saved him, since the rear truck pushed him under the front truck trailer, thus saving him from being crushed.

TFOGGuys
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Got this via email about a month ago... been meaning to post it up for some time now.

Apparently this is a wreck in Jefferson Parish, LA (near New Orleans ) between two trucks and a Smart Car.

The outcome would have been similar with a Suburban, just more wreckage...

You put anything between 2 20 ton trucks on a collision course, and nothing good will happen....unless it's a minivan full of tort lawyers.....

Spiderman
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hey Bob, did you hear about the guy in Quebec who recently lived through the same type of accident, but was in a Mazda 3. He stated that the small car size saved him, since the rear truck pushed him under the front truck trailer, thus saving him from being crushed.
Hadn't heard about that. So the sloping design of the front end is what saved him, eh?

The outcome would have been similar with a Suburban, just more wreckage...

You put anything between 2 20 ton trucks on a collision course, and nothing good will happen....unless it's a minivan full of tort lawyers.....
True, but without knowing the details of the crash (ie: how fast the rear truck was going), it's hard to say for sure - the difference in size of the crumple zones may have come into play if the truck's speed was slow enough. :dunno:

will-t
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Subaru WRX FTMFW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2B79xkOa7I

TFOGGuys
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hadn't heard about that. So the sloping design of the front end is what saved him, eh?

True, but without knowing the details of the crash (ie: how fast the rear truck was going), it's hard to say for sure - the difference in size of the crumple zones may have come into play if the truck's speed was slow enough. :dunno:

BTW, that's not a Smart between the trucks...too many lugnuts (Smart only uses 3)

Tipys
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM

I hate being in the tire business. That isnt a smart car. That car has 5 lug wheels smart car only has 3 lugs