PDA

View Full Version : Court

Stank Juic3
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
As most of you know that i got an ass raping speeding ticket about 2 weeks ago. But the ticket says I have court on a sunday. The USPS has brought up 2 tickets from the state pratrol where you have to sign to recieve this letter. My parents or me either have not been home to sign for it. They told me they not going to sign for it and I know im not. Today was the final notice before they send it back to state patrol.

My question is would it get dismissed? Would I have a warrant for not going to SUNDAY court or would they suspend my license?

Im pretty sure you would HAVE to sign to show that you recieved this letter. I pretty sure thay cant just mail you hoping that you got it or not. Hell I could be in anywhere.

What do I do?

McVaaahhh
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Lawyer up and go to court. Just because you didn't "receive" the letter doesn't absolve you of the "crime". You're going to have to swallow this bitter pill and figure out the best way to keep your license with the advice of a lawyer.

Stank Juic3
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM
That like signing saying your guilty. HE made the mistake on the ticket and assumptions. I'm not going to got back and be like "sorry officer I didn't receive your letter what is my new court date? I want this thing dismissed. And if they do cancel my license then thats when I get a lawyer. And show no one signed for anything and the officer made the mistake, plus fighting the ticket. My lawyer is awesome he postponed a ticket for a year an half for me and that was for a 48 in a 35.

Jim_Vess
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
As most of you know that i got an ass raping speeding ticket about 2 weeks ago. But the ticket says I have court on a sunday. The USPS has brought up 2 tickets from the state pratrol where you have to sign to recieve this letter. My parents or me either have not been home to sign for it. They told me they not going to sign for it and I know im not. Today was the final notice before they send it back to state patrol.

My question is would it get dismissed? Would I have a warrant for not going to SUNDAY court or would they suspend my license?

Im pretty sure you would HAVE to sign to show that you recieved this letter. I pretty sure thay cant just mail you hoping that you got it or not. Hell I could be in anywhere.

What do I do?

Call (there should be a phone number on the ticket), find out the actual court date, and make sure you are there for your scheduled date.

Whether or not you got the letter doesn't matter. If you don't show up for court they will issue a warrant. It is your responsibility to find out andmake the scheduled date.

Several years ago (I'm talking decades), I got a summons to court in the mail the day AFTER the scheduled court date. That didn't matter to the court, I didn't show for my date so warrant was issued on me. Fortunately, I was able to go to the courthouse with the postmarked letter and get it straightened out.

asp_125
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I don't think a judge is going to show any sympathy for a clerical mistake. Then again, I'm no lawyer.

Stank Juic3
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I dont see how I'm supposed to show up. Where i'm coming from is that i could be anywhere i mean anywhere i.e (staying with a friends, different state, ANYWHERE).... All I know is I have a court date on 11.15. Meaning if I'm "anywhere" i had no recollection of any letter or notice saying I have a rescheduled court date.

Everyone doesn't know that theres no court on a sundays.

Sean
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Ignorance is not grounds for dismissal. I agree with the others, go to court.

Stank Juic3
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I don't think a judge is going to show any sympathy for a clerical mistake. Then again, I'm no lawyer.

True, but im not asking for sympathy. But I got to use this mistake to help me out. Yes, it could get dismissed, I could loose my license, or get a warrant, but whatever the situation is, Im not aware of this new court date.

Stank Juic3
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Ignorance is not grounds for dismissal. I agree with the others, go to court.

I have that feeling eventually I will have to. I'll ask a different lawyer and see what he says. But I really want his mistake to work for me lol.

VryfastRR
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I got tied up at work didn't show up to court (didn't get a letter) for a speeding ticket. Call the clerk she said I would have a warrant put out for my arrest but I could come in the next morning and surrender and have my appearance then. Get home from work around 6:30, 6:32 knock knock knock. Douglas county sheriff arrested me and took me to jail that night. Took me 6 hours to bail out, got the ticket dropped 3 weeks later. Lesson, show up to court.

Jim_Vess
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
True, but im not asking for sympathy. But I got to use this mistake to help me out. Yes, it could get dismissed, I could loose my license, or get a warrant, but whatever the situation is, Im not aware of this new court date.

That's why, in my previous post, I said to call the phone number on the ticket and find out when you are supposed to go to court. The judge won't give a rat's ass that you didn't get the letter and were unaware of the change. It is your responsibility to find out the new date.

Missing your court date will just complicate and possibly make things worse for you.

DeeStylez
Dude everyone so far that is telling you to show up to that courthouse or get a hold of the courts by phone, is telling you the right thing to do. I been through the mess and having your license suspending is no joke. I think I payed over 2k just to get myself out of the mess.

gl

McVaaahhh
It's NOT like saying you're guilty.

You have a ticket, the system says that you have a ticket and a court date (may have changed). The ONLY WAY you're going to get this ticket dismissed is by fighting it IN court. Ignoring it will only make things worse for you including bench warrants and additional charges.

Spiderman
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Just show up on 11/15... what's the big deal?

Oh, but you might want some kind of proof... like maybe videotape you buying a Sunday paper out of one of those vending machines? :lol:

dapper
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
That's why, in my previous post, I said to call the phone number on the ticket and find out when you are supposed to go to court. The judge won't give a rat's ass that you didn't get the letter and were unaware of the change. It is your responsibility to find out the new date.

Missing your court date will just complicate and possibly make things worse for you.
+1

/thread

asp_125
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
use your strongest defense, a court date dosent seem to be it

Bueller
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Stick to your guns and fight to the end.

GixxerCarrie
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM
If not the State Patrol will just send a note to the DMV...and then you'll have to deal with them also. Unless you get a letter of dismissal, which I once have...unfortuanately you are going to have go.:(

THoward
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I would call if I were you. I know Denver County used to have night and weekend court, that was a couple of years ago. It sure doesn't hurt to call, better than a bench warrant. Few years ago I got a ticket, they were supposed to mail me the court date. I moved and when it finally caught up to me it was after the court date. $192 later, all was fine. It did me no good to plead the case that I had moved.

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM
It sounds like you're trying to get out of a hella ticket on a technicality and I'm pretty sure that judges don't take too kindly to that. If you're gonna get out of this due to a technicality then you need to have contacted your lawyer yesterday. The court has to do everything in its power to get you your summons, but past that, they're not gonna track you down and stalk you. They sent the notice and, as far as they're concerned you got it.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Don't go --- get a warrant. Simple.

sp0rtygrl
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Error on the ticket is not grounds for dismal like it used to be in the past. If a court date falls on a holiday you go the next business day. I’m sure the same applies in your situation.:(

Jim_Vess
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Don't go --- get a warrant. Simple.

You use too many words. It's making my brain hurt. :crazy:

SaShWhO
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Stick to your guns and fight to the end.

I think you and I are related:devious:

go on sunday and then go with me on tuesday as this is probably your actual date.
I need you and your lawyer anyway to set things straight.

Cap'n Crunch
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 10:46 PM
The way I see it is you have two options:
1) Go to court.
2) Write a letter politely telling them that they can take their ticket and shove it in their Stankonia*

* im not sure I am using that word correctly…

whitebrad
Thu Oct 1st, 2009, 03:00 AM
i had a ticket in Denver and i read on the ticket somewhere on the back that if the date they wrote on the ticket is on a weekend/holiday to show up on the next business day...

i am pretty sure it says it on the ticket... not sure if it does in your case, but you really ought to check.

pretty much the court has its ass covered somewhere, be it website, on some recording on their phone somewhere, on the ticket, or by that old standard "reasonably ought to know"

hcr25
Thu Oct 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM
i had a ticket in Denver and i read on the ticket somewhere on the back that if the date they wrote on the ticket is on a weekend/holiday to show up on the next business day...

i am pretty sure it says it on the ticket... not sure if it does in your case, but you really ought to check.

pretty much the court has its ass covered somewhere, be it website, on some recording on their phone somewhere, on the ticket, or by that old standard "reasonably ought to know"

This is correct. I got a ticket for speeding and my scheduled court date was on Friday july 3rd. I showed up and court house doors were locked. So along with the forty or so other people who did the same thing we found out since the holiday was on the weekend court was closed on Friday. On the back of the ticket i does say if your scheduled court date falls on a holiday or weekend you must appear on the next business day.

In my opinion it would be a bad idea to wait untill your license is suspended to then lawyer up. If your are caught driving with out a license in Denver they can impound your vehicle till you pay $2500.
Mike

salsashark
Thu Oct 1st, 2009, 08:53 AM
Make a run for it... straight up Mickey and Mallory style!

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7400000/Mickey-and-Mallory-Knox-villains-villains-7482192-800-600.jpg