PDA

View Full Version : Distraction Management

2wheelsgood
Thu Oct 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM
FOCUS.

Every time I get on my bike, it's my goal. I think it's a big part of why I bother to do this dangerous thing. Normal life is so unfocused.

I try to pay attention, but there's so many things to pay attention to: mortgage, career, spouse, money, money, money... all that peripheral crap that comes with living better than the biggest kings did a thousand years ago... it feels like a load of nonsense and it's not possible to sort it all out.

But on the bike, everything becomes simple and direct. Sure, I'll never be Carl Fogarty, but I can outthink one after another creature driving these big heavy moving thousand pound obstacles. Compared to my addled brain, these are zombies. What are they thinking about while they hurtle these lethal battering rams willy-nilly down the road?

Probably thinking about all the shit I think about *except* when I'm on two wheels. Then "horsepower" means something directly related to horses. "Travel" means more than just point A and point B with a vacant emptiness of awareness in between.

I think focus is the most important part of riding in an urban street environment. Putting on the helmet and gloves is a ritual to get my head into a serious space. I envision crashing before I turn the key.

I have thought about how I attain focus on the bike a lot. I wish I could achieve that focus in the other parts of life, but I'm glad I can do it on two wheels.

What is it about riding that changes my awareness? I seem to see more, faster. Like when I was a stoner in high school playing video games, but now it costs more than a quarter if i fuck up.

I think awareness and focus are more important in urban street riding than technique. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

What exactly is this focus that we have? Is it adrenalin, like a rush? I've survived things and done things on motorcycles during crisis that I have tried to repeat later, and been totally unable to do.

I wish I understood this state of mind I get into while riding. I wish I could use it for other things in life. But I'm quite happy to have it just keep working and keep me in one piece.

I still wish I understood it better though. Any thoughts on this are welcome (or am I just wacked on too many beers right now and am not making sense lol).

gotta go to bed. l8rrrr

2oo

SaShWhO
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
it's pretty simple for me.
I respect and for the most part enjoy the fact of being able to walk, talk and being alive and also know how quickly those things can permanently change if one crashes a motorcycle and therefore focus 110% everytime I mount my sexy sexy.

Davy4575
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Its the art of thinking about everything and nothing at the same time.
I use that sixth sense, (gut feeling, instinct, feeling that something is up, etc. what ever you want to call it) to govern the mechanics. Dont you ever just know without knowing how you know that the oncoming drivers gonna bust a phantom left in front of you, or just feel when there is a cop there or you just sense that drivers gonna come in your lane. I think its a psychic thing. Some people are tapped into it, some are not. I listen to those hunches intently, I trust my instincts 110%. Self doubt leads to hesitation.

Zach929rr
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Fap before you ride.

OUTLAWD
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Fap before you ride.

every now and then a quick fap during helps me out as well...

willb003
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Fap before you ride.

Fap Fap and Fap some more.

Sarge
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:14 AM
every now and then a quick fap during helps me out as well...

While you're riding? 8)

I think this would make a good argument for riding 2 up with the wife/gf/sig other. :boobies: