PDA

View Full Version : Okay, that was kind of cold.

Sean
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
:cold:
The ride in this morning was kind of chilly. I had actually been pretty comfortable these past two weeks, but today, I felt it. It must have been mid to low 30's (and dark) coming into Boulder from 6:30-7:00 am. I think I need to pull the trigger on some heated grips. But my face was really cold. How the hell do I fix that? I have a bala cava on?

Plus there was another dumb guy who thought it was a good idea to ride. He was on a white GSXR. Made the commute go faster (literally :up:)

Devaclis
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
It was 25 when I left this morning. Yeah a little chilly but man it felt good!

It will surely wake your ass up in the morning when you are riding 75mph in 25 degree weather.

Windchill??

Squisha
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Love my heated jacket and gloves! Cost a pretty penny, but now that I'm a year removed from plunking down the cash for them, I say BEST PURCHASE EVER!

And, my Scorpion performed beautifully with regard to fogging. That is to say that even near-freezing, it didn't. I love my Shoei, but it fogs quite a bit.

Now...gotta find something to keep my chin warm. lol

salsashark
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
It was 25 when I left this morning. Yeah a little chilly but man it felt good!

It will surely wake your ass up in the morning when you are riding 75mph in 25 degree weather.

Windchill??

busted out the cold weather gloves this morning... very nice!

Devaclis
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
:cold:
The ride in this morning was kind of chilly. I had actually been pretty comfortable these past two weeks, but today, I felt it. It must have been mid to low 30's (and dark) coming into Boulder from 6:30-7:00 am. I think I need to pull the trigger on some heated grips. But my face was really cold. How the hell do I fix that? I have a bala cava on?

Plus there was another dumb guy who thought it was a good idea to ride. He was on a white GSXR. Made the commute go faster (literally :up:)

Go to www.denniskirk.com and check out the snowmobile balaclavas and neck gators. TOP NOTCH stuff there.

Bueller hooked me on that site 3 years ago. I LOVE it.

asp_125
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
But my face was really cold. How the hell do I fix that?
Tie a bandana around your nose and mouth, or get one of those neck tube thingys.

Yeah, have to break out my heated vest and use the heated grips.

rforsythe
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
I'm going on a mountain ride this morning. That should be toasty...

Devaclis
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
The frost out there was kinda slick. Hope you don't meet up with any :)

Nick_Ninja
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:04 AM
There is no frost in the 4Runner. :D

Sean
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
It was 25 when I left this morning. Yeah a little chilly but man it felt good!Yeah, I have no idea how cold it actually was. Thinking about a nice little temp gauge for the bike. This (http://www.aerostich.com/navigate-communicate/scooter-clocks-compasses-thermometers/5-function-digital-meter.html) seems nice.

And, my Scorpion performed beautifully with regard to fogging. That is to say that even near-freezing, it didn't. I love my Shoei, but it fogs quite a bit.Yeah, my scorpion rawks! Never fogs.

Go to www.denniskirk.com and check out the snowmobile balaclavas and neck gators. TOP NOTCH stuff there.I do have a balacava, unfortunately I got one that goes right below the mouth. Neck was fine, lips and nose were chilly.

The frost out there was kinda slick. Hope you don't meet up with any :)Yeah, the back end kicked out twice downshifting where it normally wouldn't. The cold concrete is really different to ride on.

Sean
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
There is no frost in the 4Runner. :DThat's cause you're a fair weather rider. :D

Nick_Ninja
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
That's cause you're a fair weather rider. :D

Anymore --- yes. :(

TFOGGuys
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Sean, think about some heated gloves. I have worn mine down to 11 degrees, and my commute is a fair bit longer than yours. Pretty comfy, and easy to deal with. I'll get you a good deal on Firstgear or Tourmaster. I went with the Tourmasters, and they work well, plus they come with the controller, rather than having to buy it separately.

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Like Dana said, nab some snowmobile gloves, a fleece lines balaclava (they've got one at Performance for like $12), and maybe even an air dam for the helmet to keep wind from coming up the front of it

Devaclis
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Like Dana said, nab some snowmobile gloves, a fleece lines balaclava (they've got one at Performance for like $12), and maybe even an air dam for the helmet to keep wind from coming up the front of it

Yeah, the chin guard on the Shoei helps a lot too. I need to put my air dam back in, forgot it!!

Sean
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Sean, think about some heated gloves. It wasn't that bad, just a little cool. I think with some heated elements, it'll be fine. Thanks, Jim. You know I'm just bitch and moan like a little girl.

Like Dana said, nab some snowmobile gloves, a fleece lines balaclava (they've got one at Performance for like $12), and maybe even an air dam for the helmet to keep wind from coming up the front of itGot snowmobile gloves. They even say Yamaha for extra warmth! And (if you read above) I have a balacava. I know the air dams work, but I don't like the way they feel.

RajunCajun
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Berkeley SUCKS, but its still 50+ degrees in the morning here in Cali,,,hahah, that's for you, MetaLord. Good morning brotha;)

Mother Goose
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Drystars are your friend. My hands didn't even feel the cold wind.

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
And (if you read above) I have a balacava.
Yeah, but is it fleece lined? methinks not.

Berkeley SUCKS, but its still 50+ degrees in the morning here in Cali,,,hahah, that's for you, MetaLord. Good morning brotha;)
die in a fire, creole cracka! :D

Sean
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah, but is it fleece lined? methinks not.Maybe not, but it was warm. :up:

RajunCajun
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah, but is it fleece lined? methinks not.

die in a fire, creole cracka! :D

LOL!

SaShWhO
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
HTFU

willb003
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Do those balaclava's work pretty well, was thinking about getting one.

Sean
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
HTFUAnd when was the last time you rode?

Sean
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Do those balaclava's work pretty well, was thinking about getting one.Yes. def worth the $15.

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Do those balaclava's work pretty well, was thinking about getting one.
Hell yes! I never realized how much heat I was loosing around my neck until I tossed one on. Now I won't ride inthe cold without one!

willb003
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Sweet sold!

rforsythe
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah that was chilly this morning... But worth it. :)

Sean
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
how was the new jacket?

FZRguy
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah that was chilly this morning... But worth it. :)

Where did you ride?

sp0rtygrl
Fri Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
How much are heated gloves? Does Performance carry them? The temp was 34 when I left this morning the riding gloves I bought worked well for the first 10 min. then my finger tips started to numb up.

rforsythe
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
how was the new jacket?

Rocked!!

Where did you ride?

Up to Boulder to meet Jeff/Jim, up the canyon to P2P and down to I-70, up to Idaho Springs for lunch, then on my way back ended up some random road that looked interesting (hence the dirt). It got pretty technical up past the rocks in the one pic plus I had to get home so I stopped there, but might have continued if I wasn't up there alone.

Jeff gave me a good route I might do next time out of Boulder too that's all dirt, decided to hold off on that one yesterday.

TFOGGuys
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
How much are heated gloves? Does Performance carry them? The temp was 34 when I left this morning the riding gloves I bought worked well for the first 10 min. then my finger tips started to numb up.

The Tourmaster ones are $169, before your CSC discount, and come with the wire harness and controller, which makes them a better deal than pretty much everything else out there. Firstgear run $129-$169, plus $69-119 for the controller, depending on which style you want. Club Discounts will apply.

sp0rtygrl
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
The Tourmaster ones are $169, before your CSC discount, and come with the wire harness and controller, which makes them a better deal than pretty much everything else out there. Firstgear run $129-$169, plus $69-119 for the controller, depending on which style you want. Club Discounts will apply.

Nice I didn't know about the discount. I see they are closed on Sunday will head down on Monday to buy the Tourmaster. Thanks for the info.

Sean
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
:lol:
I was almost going to post up a new thread about the weather getting colder. One year, almost to the day! It's starting to get cold again. I have better gear but still no heated grips. When will I learn? Man, I hate commuting in the dark.

Mother Goose
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:07 AM
:lol:
I was almost going to post up a new thread about the weather getting colder. One year, almost to the day! It's starting to get cold again. I have better gear but still no heated grips. When will I learn? Man, I hate commuting in the dark.
:mrt:

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Still had mah summer leather on and I was fine. So...

HTFU
:D

Sean
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:12 AM
@ 6:30 it was kind of chilly. I'm saying it was bad, but over the last couple of weeks I've felt a pretty big drop in early morning temps.

salsashark
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Excellent timing... :up:

I noticed it this morning as well that there was a bit of a bite in the air. Nothing like a year ago, but it was noticeable.

The duc's got heated grips. I've only played with them a little bit, it's going to have to get quite a bit cooler before they come on.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I have been feeling a a big drop recently in the mornings as well. I was use to it being 100+ at 7am and now its around 80. Its starting to get cold out here to.

Sean
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM
The duc's got heated grips. I've only played with them a little bit, it's going to have to get quite a bit cooler before they come on.Angela and I went on a DS ride on Saturday morning. I got to ride my buddy's F800 with heated grips. I didn't "need" them, but they sure were nice! :up:

dirkterrell
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:21 AM
The VFR showed 43 at one point on the ride in. I did go ahead and close the vents on the sleeves. I usually don't break out the heated gear until in gets down near freezing.

Dirk

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I give you all props for riding in near freezing weather. I am to much of a panzy to ride in anything less than like 50.

asp_125
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Yes, heated grips!! I used them commuting on the Beemah last week with summer gloves.

So glad I got the electric vest, for when it gets really cold.

salsashark
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM
So glad I got the electric vest, for when it gets really cold.

my next purchase...

Sean
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:32 AM
The VFR showed 43 at one point on the ride in. That's not to bad at all.I wish I had a bike with cool gadgets, like temp gauges. I'm surprised that the KLR even comes with a speedo.

The only place I really felt it was on my neck. I haven't even put the liner in my jacket yet. But it's not far away.

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM
@ 6:30 it was kind of chilly. I'm saying it was bad, but over the last couple of weeks I've felt a pretty big drop in early morning temps.
I will agree with you, it wasn't cold, but there was definitely a noticeable drop. 9news said it was supposed to be 82 for a high today but that 75 was supposed to be the next highest temp of the week. I was starting to forget it was actually October over the weekend...

I think if my commute was as long as it was when I lived a little farther north then my ride would've been colder!

longrider
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:54 AM
The commutes have been fine so far, only used the jacket liner once but yesterday I had to go to Sterling first thing in the morning. Left the house shortly before 6. it was mid 40s and I had the jacket with liner and middleweight gloves and was fine. Heading east the temp quickly dropped, I got to Limon shortly before the sun came up and it was 30. Once the sun came up it quickly got to about 40 but then it stopped. Got to the track about 8:15 and that was the coldest I have been in along time!

Wyck
Wed Oct 6th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Yesterday wasn't so bad. Today it was chilly. Nose was running like a faucet with this cold I have going on.

Ghost
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Yesterday wasn't so bad. Today it was chilly. Nose was running like a faucet with this cold I have going on.

Aren't you supposed to be in Hawaii & free of the cold by now? :p