PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Rust.

Rooster
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
from maryland. and being surrounded by the ocean, the bay, and a endless vine of rivers and ponds, and not to mention the salt that put down for snow and ice the rust is unbeleivable on maryland vehicles.
how is the rust on vehicles from colorado? just a general question. i hehar that the state puts down a different kind of sand? or dirt? and the roads have something in them to get rid of the snow and ice? i havent the slightest clue on how colorado deals with the snow or ice or even how much the springs even gets. anyone help me out?

JonnyD
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
It varies year to year about how much we get. Since it was a really wet summer "experts" are saying we'll get dumped on all winter. Colorado usually puts down mag-chloride before a storm to stop the snow from sticking but with a good snow the roads will snow over. I think Monument gets the worst of the front range snow due to higher elevation.

Mostly, CO just uses gravel on the roads in the mountains which is why they suck to ride the first part of spring.

I've not heard of anything IN the pavement that gets rid of snow and ice, but we do have plow trucks =) Mr Plow, Mr plow!

McVaaahhh
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Mag and sand. No salt here.

Rooster
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
awesome. i was a little worried about body and frame rust. i got a 83 chevy pickup im looking to keep going. no salt is REALLY good with me.

Zach929rr
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Just give the car a good wash at the beginning of spring and you'll be fine.

rforsythe
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
In general vehicles don't rust out here unless they're just completely neglected. That said though, try to wash off the Mag Chloride relatively soon after you drive through the stuff; not sure if it corrodes the metal, but it's a bitch to get off if you let it sit. Most of the self-wash places around here have a special spray during winter that dissolves it so you can just rinse it with water after that.

But if your truck is an '83 from MD, you're kinda behind the curve on that, so who knows what will happen. :)

Rooster
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
In general vehicles don't rust out here unless they're just completely neglected. That said though, try to wash off the Mag Chloride relatively soon after you drive through the stuff; not sure if it corrodes the metal, but it's a bitch to get off if you let it sit. Most of the self-wash places around here have a special spray during winter that dissolves it so you can just rinse it with water after that.

But if your truck is an '83 from MD, you're kinda behind the curve on that, so who knows what will happen. :)

my truck aint from maryland. i bought it about a month ago in fort collins. hopefully thats where its been all its life. lol. i dont see no rust on the frame. and the body has recently been painted. so i guess im good for as long as i stay here. lol

MileHighColt
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Just give the car a good wash at the beginning of spring and you'll be fine.

Try to rinse it off during the winter when we have some of our warm stretches too. The Mag Chloride can be a bit of a pain in the arse to get off if you leave it set for too long.

Captain Obvious
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
I have an 86 F150 that has spent it's whole life in CO (I haven't but the truck has). It has very few signs of rust, your's should be fine.

Speedwagon
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM

I've heard rumors the mag eats rubber, and is responsible for eating away valve stems earlier than they should normally need replacement.

Rooster
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
ill have to get that checked out. thanks for the info!