PDA

View Full Version : 1 motorcyclist dead in foco

BeoBe
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Not sure if anyone heard this or not but didn't see it anywhere under northie at least.. But yesterday afternoon a motorcycle speeding down drake collided with an SUV that was pulling out killing the biker. They say he was 27 and his name was peter.. not sure if he is active on here or not..

Ill see if i can find the link..

RIP to the rider

BeoBe
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
here is the link

but yea drake from shields to dunbar (right by my house) was shutdown for some hours

http://media.www.collegian.com/media/storage/paper864/news/2009/10/02/News/Motorcycle.Crash.Sends.One.To.Hospital.Shuts.Down. Parts.Of.Drake-3792127.shtml

looks like this article doesn't explain the aftermath, but from what i am getting he died after being rushed to the hospital

BeoBe
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200991003010

here is the foco article with a little better information. Looks like he died at 3:24 this morning.. Shitty man.. My prayers go out to his family

Been pretty crazy past couple days on drake. A concrete truck rolled onto his side while taking a turn too fast just E of college, Yesterday morning a car at like 5:30am drove into the side of starbucks on drake and shields, i got rear ended by some broad in the turning lane at drake and college and now this..

I guess beware of drake...

McVaaahhh
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Shit, I used to live off Drake & Taft when I was in school.

RIP Rider.

kalibra
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
The motorcycle is ALWAYS speeding and the cagers are never at fault.Hell,you could be sitting still at an intersection on a sportbike and people are gonna say you were speeding and the good ol' soccer mom in her SUV or minivan was texting,applying makeup and looking for something in the backseat all at the same time,but she is never at fault.Rip rider.

sag
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
drove by the scene a few times running errands but didnt see anything

P_Mahone
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
sad junk people...
please get your wishes known and your life insurance before riding.
we are all day to day
get your adult type responsibilities in order riders

TL MILLER
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
Damn
rip

justintyme73
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
My Condolences to his family, RIP Peter.

mathman1000
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
We were there and just about saw the whole thing. We were sitting at pitchers bar, and all the smokers sitting outside started running down the street. We ran out the door to see a ball of flames about 100ft down the road. We went running down the road to see a huge fire ball, upon closer inspection we saw it was a green Kaw Ninja. He hit the front right corner of the Jeep Cherokee. Upon impact he flew about +20ft into a flower bed, his front wheel was flat against the motor, the gas tank popped off the bike - was laying about 15 ft away with a puncture in it and the gas was shooting out like a flame thrower 15ft into the air. The bike itself was also in flames. We ran over to the guy who was moaning incoherently in pain with limbs at strained angles. He had FULL gear on (except leather pants). A lady was holding his head trying to stablize him, then all the cops & EMS showed up and we had to evac. It was fucking scarry. The guy he hit was standing there not believing what had just happened. The sun was setting in the West, and the cyclist was probably in the glare, or his lights weren't bright enough for the driver to see. We assumed he would be alright. My initial reaction was that if he is moving slightly and moaning he probably will be alright.

Now, we just finished the Oct 3rd to Walden, but we just did a canyon blast instead. You can read the thread if you want...... We spent about 2 hours at the hospital because a rider today ran off the road and crashed. I'll let someone else tell that story, but it ended up being a lot longer day than we had anticipated. The rider, Davon (not a CSC member), has a fractured clavical, and is VERY lucky that's all he received.

After the last two days, and what I've seen I'm glad to be off the bike for a few days....

sp0rtygrl
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
the good ol' soccer mom in her SUV or minivan was texting,applying makeup and looking for something in the backseat all at the same time,but she is never at fault.Rip rider.

The SUV driver in this incident was a 22-year-old male. Both sexes have their share of bad drivers saying its always a women driver that never pays attention is no better than saying the motorcycle rider was speeding and it was his fault. The GUY in the SUV thought he had time to cross or just didn’t see the motorcycle. I see it all the time where cars (male and female drivers) cut out in front of motorcycles because they are protected and bigger. They don’t think of the danger that it means death for us motorcyclist until it's to late. RIP rider my heart goes out to your family.

k_smittay
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
We were there and just about saw the whole thing. We were sitting at pitchers bar, and all the smokers sitting outside started running down the street. We ran out the door to see a ball of flames about 100ft down the road. We went running down the road to see a huge fire ball, upon closer inspection we saw it was a green Kaw Ninja. He hit the front right corner of the Jeep Cherokee. Upon impact he flew about +20ft into a flower bed, his front wheel was flat against the motor, the gas tank popped off the bike - was laying about 15 ft away with a puncture in it and the gas was shooting out like a flame thrower 15ft into the air. The bike itself was also in flames. We ran over to the guy who was moaning incoherently in pain with limbs at strained angles. He had FULL gear on (except leather pants). A lady was holding his head trying to stablize him, then all the cops & EMS showed up and we had to evac. It was fucking scarry. The guy he hit was standing there not believing what had just happened. The sun was setting in the West, and the cyclist was probably in the glare, or his lights weren't bright enough for the driver to see. We assumed he would be alright. My initial reaction was that if he is moving slightly and moaning he probably will be alright.

Now, we just finished the Oct 3rd to Walden, but we just did a canyon blast instead. You can read the thread if you want...... We spent about 2 hours at the hospital because a rider today ran off the road and crashed. I'll let someone else tell that story, but it ended up being a lot longer day than we had anticipated. The rider, Davon (not a CSC member), has a fractured clavical, and is VERY lucky that's all he received.

After the last two days, and what I've seen I'm glad to be off the bike for a few days....

Well I will be damned... right after we had just talked about this!!

R.I.P.

CaneZach
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
RIP rider.

RajunCajun
Sat Oct 3rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
The motorcycle is ALWAYS speeding and the cagers are never at fault.Hell,you could be sitting still at an intersection on a sportbike and people are gonna say you were speeding and the good ol' soccer mom in her SUV or minivan was texting,applying makeup and looking for something in the backseat all at the same time,but she is never at fault.Rip rider.

Granted, it is sad when anybody dies in an accident, but I don't know about the "always the rider's fault" comment. I think that all too frequently, when the suv pulls out, and kills the rider, the rider is driving at a ridiculous speed. I've had plenty of suvs, cars, truck, other bikes, pedestrians, ect. pull out in front of me and I was doing my job, paying attention, anticipating other driver actions by driving defensively and at a safe speed (sometimes over the speed limit, I will admit, 5-10mph) and not getting in an accident or dead. I don't know how sorry I'm supposed to feel for a rider, if he is doing 30 r 50+ over the speed limit in suburban areas or city streets. Kinda seems like natural selection to me. I'd b more inclined to feel sorry for the other car, if they didn't also break traffic laws in the process. I don't really know if that's what happened here or not, though.

Yeah, I know accidents happen but too many of the fatalities of these young riders, at least that I hear of, are from the rider being a complete idiot. If anyone has statistics on this, I'd be interested to know how close to base I am.

Anyway, Condolences to his family :(

BeoBe
Sun Oct 4th, 2009, 07:29 AM
all i can say is even if it was the riders fault nobody deserves death.. mathman i know the experience and its not something you ever forget about.. but at least you know you did what you could to help.

I was kinda worried about the accident before i knew what it was because Rocky Mountain High was having a football game and i didn't see any vehicles so i thought it was possibly a hit and run on someone walking across the street..

Either way this really sucks and ppl got to fricken realize how easy you can die on ANY motorcycle!

bornwildnfree
Sun Oct 4th, 2009, 08:01 AM
*bows head for moment of silence* RIP man.

I'm also very glad that the rider from our group will be ok.

mathman1000
Sun Oct 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Another shitty thing that no one has mentioned; no matter who's fault it was, the driver will live with that for the rest of his life. The driver will spend the rest of his days wondering what the rider would have done with his life; had kids, marriage, taking care of his parents, bringing joy to the lives of those around him....... All of this will never happen, and every day the driver wakes up he can have that to think of.

No one walks away unscathed........

THoward
Sun Oct 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I know accidents happen but too many of the fatalities of these young riders, at least that I hear of, are from the rider being a complete idiot. If anyone has statistics on this, I'd be interested to know how close to base I am.

Anyway, Condolences to his family :(

Here are some fatality stats from CDOT for 2008, and yes much to our dismay, many are what they deem "single vehicle accidents". Unless there are witnesses as to exactly what happened, they are recorded as the "riders fault".

98 riders and passengers were killed in motorcycle crashes in Colorado in 2008, the highest
ever recorded.

Of the motorcycle fatalities in 2008:
• Over 2/3 were not wearing a helmet
• 34% of riders were under the influence of alcohol
• 39% did not have a motorcycle endorsement
• In 8 out of 10 cases, the rider was determined to be at fault
• 86% were men
> Motorcycle fatalities occurred in every month of the year.
• August was highest fatality month with 18, followed by July (16), June (12), May (10),
October (10), April, September, November (8 each)
Fatalities by county:

• 82% of victims were from Colorado
• 2/3 of fatalities occurred in rider’s home area/county
• El Paso County had 15% of state’s motorcycle fatalities
Other 32%
Weld 4%
Mesa 4%
Jefferson 13%
Adams 4%
Arapahoe 6%
Boulder 4%
Denver 11%
Douglas 7%
El Paso 15%

> Motorcycle fatalitites span all ages
In 2008:
• 36% were age 18 to 34
• 40% increase as compared to 2007
• 23% were age 35 to 44
• 39% were age 45 or older

“Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.”

Aphrodite
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
RIP

asp_125
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM
The guy he hit was standing there not believing what had just happened. The sun was setting in the West, and the cyclist was probably in the glare, or his lights weren't bright enough for the driver to see.

With the shorter days be careful out there during the dawn and dusk hours.

RIP rider.

dirkterrell
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM
With the shorter days be careful out there during the dawn and dusk hours.

Excellent advice. When your shadow is extended way in front of you be very careful about people coming the other way turning in front of you. Are they straining to look through the glare? Note it and be prepared to react.

My condolences to the friends and family of the rider.

Dirk

Devaclis
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM
So much finger pointing, and guessing, and accusations for a bunch of people who were not at the scene. You guys should be writers for CSI.

RIP rider. I hope the young driver of that vehicle is able to overcome the emotional hurdles he is now faced with.

MileHighColt
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
That really sucks. RIP Rider indeed.

I know riding from Cherry Creek to Thornton everyday can be interesting. Especially the Cherry Creek part. Folks in CC are too busy yapping on the cell or being otherwise distracted to even stop/look at an intersection. The pedestrians may be the worst of all.

RajunCajun
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
So much finger pointing, and guessing, and accusations for a bunch of people who were not at the scene. You guys should be writers for CSI.

RIP rider. I hope the young driver of that vehicle is able to overcome the emotional hurdles he is now faced with.

I hear ya Dana, shitty situation for all, of course. But statistics, if accurate, can and should be used as an educational tool to prevent this kind of tragedy. If the majority of accidents are rider caused, then riders need to wake up and ride like they give a shit about their lives. Sometime, fingers need to be pointed......

Pandora-11
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 02:01 PM
This is so sad....and scares me to death.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I hear ya Dana, shitty situation for all, of course. But statistics, if accurate, can and should be used as an educational tool to prevent this kind of tragedy. If the majority of accidents are rider caused, then riders need to wake up and ride like they give a shit about their lives. Sometime, fingers need to be pointed......

I understand that.

Ask yourself if this thread is the place for that? It may be, but I am not so sure.

I never trust a statistic I did not make up myself. Statistics, for public consumption, are RARELY unbiased, skewed, or taken properly.

Think
Sun Sep 26th, 2010, 11:24 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. None of you know anything other than what the newspaper stated and from someone who arrived at the scene a few seconds after the accident.

RIP to the rider. Always terrible to hear of someone passing no matter what the situation.

Mother Goose
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:21 AM
We really need to lock all the old threads. :shock:

Devaclis
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:24 AM
We need to revoke Wickys admin rights. He is overstepping his boundaries by pointing out good ideas!!

Think
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
We really need to lock all the old threads. :shock:
Ooooops

PROFLYER
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 09:42 PM
yeah geesh greg way to dig up a good one.

Speaking of old, your sig needs updating I believe..