PDA

View Full Version : 1988 FZR400

FZRguy
Sun Apr 3rd, 2005, 01:10 AM
What do you racers think of this bike for a noob? Since I’m a buck 20 soaking wet, I need something light. Planning on running Lightweight Endurance as a Novice, and maybe Vintage later on. The bike has new Sharkskinz and paint, TZ250 17” wheels, Fox shock, Ohlins damper, and V&H pipe. Bike is in Florida but he will deliver it to my brother’s home in Ft. Lauderdale. Can anyone recommend a shipper? Asking price is $2750.

Some more info from the owner: As it is now the motor would be fine for some track days. It just had a valve adjustment, new battery, and new fuel pump installed. For serious racing, I would do a rebuild but the same would apply to almost any bike that had spent a significant amount of time on the track. Chassis wise this thing is fantastic! The tranny and clutch are fine, and the shift pattern is stock. The fork tubes were replaced and quality springs were installed along with heavier oil. Overall, the bike is not set-up too stiff for track paced riding even at your weight…maybe just reset the amount of sag or at worst replace the springs with lighter weight ones. I would spend some time on it first because everyone who has ridden it found it handled terrific. Along with the bike I have tons of spares including carbs, wheels, gaskets, filters, bodywork, etc. I forgot to mention that the motor has sand cast aluminum case covers as well.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=94420643906&photoid=84420643906

Bashed
Sun Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Forward Air is who I use to ship motorcycles.
They provide a fully enclosed metal container
with tiedown points to secure the bike.
It should cost about $500 to get it to you.

I belive a 600 motor will bolt right in to those
If you feel the need for more power.
Tony Mata has run a FZR 400/560 for years
and his bike feels like a 250 GP in the handling
department.

Late Bash

marcus mcbain
Sun Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:21 AM
It pisses me off that stopped making/importing that bike. The FZR400 was one of my first racebikes I rode on. It is absolutely fabulous.

You will have fun passing your friends on GSXR-1000's at SCR.

Marcus

Lurch
Sun Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:43 AM
Hey Tony Baker from the MRA is headed to Atlanta next week/weekend for a motorcycle gig. He is taking a trailer so if you could be the bike to Atlanta maybe Tony could bring it back.

Lurch

rybo
Sun Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
The fizzer 400 is an excellent first track bike. The handling is absolutly fantastic as stock and will be much improved with those TZ wheels and the better rear shock. It makes little or no power below 10K rpm, so be prepared to rev the snot out of it. From 10k to redline it's great! Very easy bike to ride.

You'll have a blast at SCR and up at IMI if you take it there. Finally it's pretty easy on tires.

I've sent three bikes by forward air with no problems.

Scott

FZRguy
Sun Apr 3rd, 2005, 09:25 PM
You will have fun passing your friends on GSXR-1000's at SCR.Marcus

The rider needs some work before that will happen. I can definitely use your help with the suspension. Yeah, too bad Yamaha made so few of these bikes. I haven’t looked real hard, but they are kinda hard to find. This one seems like a pretty good deal considering the work that’s been done to it.

Lurch, I’ll contact Tony and see if we can work something out.

Thanks for the info, guys!