PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs dealers read before you buy from them

R1chie
Sun Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
This is a repost to another topic. This is my experience and my opinion and the opinion of some guys that have been riding as long or longer than I. (I will put you in contact with them if you like).

Rocky Mountain Cycle and Apex in Colorado Springs are both poor places to buy motorcycles. I have purchased bikes from both places, Back when Rocky Mountain was called Central Yamaha, when it was near constitution and circle (before it moved to Platte, then to the cinema 70 building). And when Apex was called Motor City Yamaha (Funny how the 2 Yamaha shops in town won the battle to merge into 2 shops)

I have met both owners, (Vern and I don't remember the other guy, his son in law seems to be the front man for the business now days) and I will tell you this from experience. I will not buy another motorcycle from either one. If you want a good price, selection, stock and models. Go to Denver. Trust me on this, but if not talk to some of my friends who have been riding for as long as I have. These guys will not deal like the people in denver deal, in the springs, you will be on a waiting list. When I purchased my R1, I was the first one in the springs to have one (04) the others were still on the waiting list. The only place that used to deal with walk in customers was Wildcat and it is gone.

My recommendation. Do not buy from these dealerships. I have seem them charge military guys more than retail for new bikes.

But do not believe me, if you go to purchase a new bike, get the best deal you can then go up to Denver. When I purchased my R1 I checked out Apex and Rocky to see if they had the R1 in stock, both told me I would be greater than 10 down on the list and it was full retail. They do not deal. When I called Denver several places had some in stock customer did not pick up. The place I bought from (Co Powersports) instead of discounting, they threw in a helmet, gloves, tank protector, Three months later you could get a one for $9600 and CS still didn't have one on the floor. I purchased my 04 YZ450 for $4800. My KX500 I bought from Vickery at a $1400 discount of retail (Apex wanted full retail and would not budge).

I purchased my 99 YZ400 from Rocky, I was about 10 in line for one. I know the General manager, we went back to 1980 he had been working and I had been buying. So he knew me a long time. He told me the bike was hot and they were not discounting them, but because he knew me he discounted the bike $250. I waited as they trickled in and he retired. When the bike came in they tried to sell it to me for full retail Vern (the owner) came out of his office and started screaming in front of all the sales people, infront of some of the people I raced with, and in front of a bunch of customer. I screamed back saying he had to honor the deal and that it was only $250 (I was used to bigger discounts). I said fine and walked towards the door, he followed me screaming (no exaggeration here) and was telling me how much it cost him and how Yamaha has so little margin and there were others waiting to buy it. I turned to him and said... sell it to someone else. The sales person called back (who I thought was Verns son in-law) apologized and said they would honor the deal. The only reason I purchased it from them was because Denver had no stock and there were waiting lists for them as well. Now, even if I have to be put on a waiting list for Denver, I will do it because nothing is worth have to deal with either place again. Apex would not deal on 2 kx500's I purchase elsewhere, they would not discount on a Vmax I purchased elsewhere and they would not discount on a pw50 which end up purchasing used. My opinion, do not purchase from either one.

I also had a bad experience at Exel and was almost the owner of a ZX-10 but that is another story (after the transmission problems and the wheel problems with the zx10 it worked out for the best for me so not all was bad).

Sparker
Sun Apr 3rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
when you buy your zx10r are you gonna give me ur R1?

Just to give an example on how overpriced they are they are selling a ugly ass gold 97 katana 600 for $4000 and it has roughly 15k miles, give or take a few k. this was at rocky mtn.

Fly boy
Sun Apr 3rd, 2005, 01:52 PM
heh, sounds like Ft. Collins Motorsports.

2001 cbr600 F4i, and R6's in dec/jan, they wanted 7k for them. would neg. to about 6600.

~Barn~
Mon Apr 4th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Speaking of Dealerships that suck...

I remember when Coyote Motorsports wanted to charge me $14,999 for a new R1, while I was waiting for mine to arrive last season.

I don't know who the bigger idiot is... the people who set/enforced that price, or the person (if any), who paid it. :lol:

COGIXX
Tue Apr 5th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I have had similar experiences with both dealers in the springs...

Back in Feb of 2002, I brought a 1999 CBR1100XX w/ 14k miles on it, and decked out with a full Erion 4-2-1 system, Power Commander, Corbin Seat, and a bunch of extras... ZERO damage, showroom condition... My intention was to trade it on a 2002 Honda VTX1800C, which both RMCP & Apex had plenty of the VTX's and only 1 CBR1100XX each on the floor.

RMCP told me, they were not interested in a trade, PERIOD! They would not take it! Even though I had title in hand, CBR was paid off, and I had a blank check for the remainder. Notta!

Apex, might as well have slapped me in the face... AAt the time, I knew my CBR was worth about $9200 in a private sale and I was willing to take $7k towards the trade... Apex offered me $3k for my CBR

I wound up getting the bike at Aurora Honda in Denver... Tim, the sales manager gave me $7500 for the CBR and discounted the VTX $500. Outstanding shop to deal with if yer in the market for a Honda!

Now I swore that I would never buy a single thing from Fay Meyers, after I was insulted with a $4500 trade in on my CBR AND to top it off they were going to charge me $1200 OVER RETAIL for the VTX... they said that the additional $1200 was standard with EVERY shop in the area, and those fees were for set-up, delivery, & "shop" fees.

Now when I started shopping for my 2004 GSX-R 750 I was very hesitant to go back into Fay, I had already talked to RMCP & Apex, and they wouldn't budge from retail 1 cent. Grand Prix Motorsports gave me a good quote, BUT I think it was BS cause I went back a week later to buy the bike and the sales guy that gave me the quote had either quit or been fired... Sooo, off to Fay I went...

I Walked in the door with 2 other friends, 3 GSX-R 750's were the intention, THAT DAY! I was approached by some fat goon that proceded to tell me they had only 2 750's left, and that they wouldn't deal, period. So I told this idiot to find the sales manager, cause he was useless...

So out comes Joe (can't remember his last name...) 2 bikes would be sold under the Suzuki credit deal, and 1 to be paid for in full with cash... He told me he had 7 of the 750's in stock... no problem. He quoted me retail price which was $9699.00 (i believe) and I replied with... how about $8500.00 out the door for each if we buy all 3 today... He left. I assumed that we would shortly be walking out the door on our way to another shop, when he very shortly returned and said, Yep, I can do $8500!

Now the ONLY thing I will gripe about is that they knew we were in the Springs, and needed to ride the bikes back 50+ miles... So, when they brought the bikes up to the front door after prep & cleaning, to my dismay, there was only about 1/2 gallon of fuel in the tank! One of my buds put up such a stink that it finally took about 20 minutes before they took all 3 bikes and filled them up!

R1chie
Tue Apr 5th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Speaking of Dealerships that suck...

I remember when Coyote Motorsports wanted to charge me $14,999 for a new R1, while I was waiting for mine to arrive last season.

I don't know who the bigger idiot is... the people who set/enforced that price, or the person (if any), who paid it. :lol:

I called Coyote from the Springs, the guy was up front with me, he said he had an R1 on the floor (maybe a couple) and said he sold them over retail plus setup. I didn't even stop there to shop.