PDA

View Full Version : Help - Fridge rattling.

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM
My refrigerator won't stop rattling. I have pulled it out and removed the back vent cover. I can't see anything touching to cause the noise. But the noise is definitely coming from the back insides, somewhere. I finally unplugged it and sqirted a bit of WD40 on the metal parts of the fan. That seemed to help for about 20 minutes...then no dice.

It rattles for a while, then is quiet, rattle, quiet, constantly. :banghead:
I have called the support line. They are useless.

Before I call and pay for a service call, does anyone have any thoughts to make it stop?

It's maddening! (rattle, rattle, rattle, rattle)

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Put a steer dampener on it.

DorJammer
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
My refrigerator won't stop rattling. I have pulled it out and removed the back vent cover. I can't see anything touching to cause the noise. But the noise is definitely coming from the back insides, somewhere. I finally unplugged it and sqirted a bit of WD40 on the metal parts of the fan. That seemed to help for about 20 minutes...then no dice.

It rattles for a while, then is quiet, rattle, quiet, constantly. :banghead:
I have called the support line. They are useless.

Before I call and pay for a service call, does anyone have any thoughts to make it stop?

It's maddening! (rattle, rattle, rattle, rattle)

let the kids out of the freezer? :hump:

Devaclis
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM
It is your compressor fan. It is hitting the guard.

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Come on guys!!! Someone help me. It's gotta be an easy fix to save me a few hundred bucks on a fat guy with butt crack coming over here and telling me nothing.

Please!

Keepitgreen
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Come on guys!!! Someone help me. It's gotta be an easy fix to save me a few hundred bucks on a fat guy with butt crack coming over here and telling me nothing.

Please!
I can come over and tell you nothing for $50 and still show butt crack if you want.

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM
It is your compressor fan. It is hitting the guard.

You mean the metal guard that screws in? I have sat back there for an hour and can't really get a metal sound. It's an internal rattle but I do think it's the fan hitting something, I just can't see it. And it's on again, off again, intermittent yet constant day and night.

It's going to get fixed with an axe here shortly.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Unplug the fridge for a minute. Plug it in and listen to the rattle. Does it start slow and then wind up faster? If so, it is most likely the fan. Get ahold of Canuck, that dude can help you out :)

Keepitgreen
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
How old is it?
maybe the bearings are shot..

Devaclis
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
It is not too old. I would think a rat got under the fridge, got caught in the fan blades and bent one or two of them.

It then crawled up the stairs and is lying under her bed waiting to leap out and bite her foot before dying in a small pool of it's own black plague ridden blood.

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I do not have mices, no way jose. The dogs would never tolerate that.

I've unplugged it again. Going to keep the metal gaurd loose and see if it starts again. I know it's something small causing it. Just can't pinpoint it. And why just out of the blue would it start? It's just terribly annoying.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM
It would start of the bearings went out and the fan was able to wobble on it's shaft.

/sexaytime

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Gotcha. Thanks for the help. We'll see how it goes the next hour. Appreciate it. :)

Keepitgreen
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I do not have mices, no way jose..

Hey! That's a bit racist ain't it?
Why do mices have to be called Jose?
Is that some reference to the best Spanish speaking mouse of all time?

asp_125
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM
squirt some chain lube on the fan axle bearing, sounds like the same symptoms when a water pump goes on a car.

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
It IS the fan wiggling. I finally got the noise to reproduce with the metal cover off. Is that still something Canuck can do or do I have to call a service guy? :(

I can't live another day with the rattleing. :scramble: Two weeks is long enough.

Joby, mices are spanish, skunks are french. It's just the way it is. Not my call.

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
squirt some chain lube on the fan axle bearing, sounds like the same symptoms when a water pump goes on a car.

Chain lube..got it. I'll try that now.

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Terri, check to see if the compressor motor moves excessively, it may be a loose motor mount. Those are the rubber thingies that are designed to make it NOT make noise by isolating the motor from the chassis. if for some reason they have come loose, it could allow the compressor to contact something solid, causing the rattle.

asp_125
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM
eat all your food, unplug the fridge .. problem solved. ;) ... no?

yeah once it goes you can band-aid it to quiet it a while, but eventually you're gonna need a new fan methinks.

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Compressor motor is pretty still. It's the plastic fan. I tried to tighten that, but of course you need a special tool for that screw.

Course now I may need a whole new fridge. There is chain lube everywhere. hahaha. At least I got a laugh out of it. :)

McVaaahhh
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
sounds like it's too cold. Put a blanket around it. :D

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Okay, the chain lube worked so far. Works on squeeky shower doors too. Whoo hoo!

Sweet, sweet silence. Thanks guys. :)

puckstr
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Turn up your stereo

asp_125
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Course now I may need a whole new fridge. There is chain lube everywhere. hahaha. At least I got a laugh out of it. :)

Oh now we're back to that "which chain lube should I use" thread, aren't we? :pointlaugh: psst, don't spray it on the fan blades. ;)

Keepitgreen
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Joby, mices are spanish, skunks are french. It's just the way it is. Not my call.
:wtf: :think: :siesta:

You're right.. My bad, what was I thinking to think otherwise..

The pimpest mouse the ever lived was none other than Mighty Mouse though and he didn't know no stinking Spanish!
Damn he's cool.

Motodrew
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM
www.thereifixedit.com (http://www.thereifixedit.com)

This thread reminds me of this website. SFW.

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Haha, that's awesome Drew.

Jeff, I didn't use very much. LOL Just a bit on the metal pieces. I think you guys are right, probably will just need a new fan when the rattling comes back. Still quiet for now though. :)