PDA

View Full Version : fan

thunderseye
Tue Jul 29th, 2003, 09:34 PM
well i i finally realized my fan isn't kicking on i think thats why my bike runs so hot when i'm not moving. anyone around here gonna be up for working on bikes this weekend? too dangerous for me to work on it myself would like to learn though. it might just be unplugged but i want to find out first before i buy a new one

Anonymous
Tue Jul 29th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Where are you at again? I have some time Sunday afternoon.

mikesf4i
Tue Jul 29th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Well, get a flashlight and look through the openings in the bodywork and see if you can visually confirm it is unplugged. If it is unplugged, PLUG IT BACK IN!

How do you know its not coming on? They normally only come on after the bike reaches a certain temp. Your bike will run cooler when it is moving, even if the fan is working cuz bike fans are relatively small. What kind of temps are you seeing?

Dont be scared of working on your bike. You paid for it. If you screw it up you cant get in trouble for it, its yours. Just keep track of any hardware you remove and put it back where you got it. Take pictures of everything you take apart if you have to.Pm me if you need more help.

Boy Scout
Tue Jul 29th, 2003, 10:15 PM
They normally only come on after the bike reaches a certain temp.
My F4i kicks on at about 222.

Anonymous
Tue Jul 29th, 2003, 10:28 PM
They normally only come on after the bike reaches a certain temp.
My F4i kicks on at about 222.

I wish mine said actual temp. Instead it's just L/H with a halfway mark and a red spot. So I just know when the bike is warm, and that the fan comes on at the "pretty damn hot" point, and if I see it get to the "burn your nuts off" level that's bad. *shrug*

Boy Scout
Tue Jul 29th, 2003, 10:40 PM
I wish mine said actual temp. Instead it's just L/H with a halfway mark and a red spot. So I just know when the bike is warm, and that the fan comes on at the "pretty damn hot" point, and if I see it get to the "burn your nuts off" level that's bad. *shrug*
Time for an upgrade, Ralph. Mine has the digi readout. If you don't pay attention to that it has the orange "pretty damn hot" light, and if you don't see that, it has the red "wake up dumb shit, your a$$ is on fire" light. From the looks of the photos posted elsewhere, I'm betting Mr. Edwards was wishin he had one of those little red lights :D

Bob954
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Couple of points -The fan on my '02 954 comes on at about 218 degrees, so unless the temperature on yours is much above that, you shouldn't worry.

Second when stopped or riding on very hot days, I find that the engine heat on ankles and lower inside of leg is very noticable if I'm not wearing boots or heavy pants. Other 954 riders have also commented about this. :x

Anonymous
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Time for an upgrade, Ralph. Mine has the digi readout. If you don't pay attention to that it has the orange "pretty damn hot" light, and if you don't see that, it has the red "wake up dumb shit, your a$$ is on fire" light. From the looks of the photos posted elsewhere, I'm betting Mr. Edwards was wishin he had one of those little red lights :D

Yeah, that's life with a Superhawk. The newer ones have all digital readouts a la VFR, but I'm a couple years too early for that upgrade. Oh well...

thunderseye
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 05:43 AM
well when i'm cruising around and moving i can usually keep the temp about 212 but when i'm stopped it seems to not stop i got stuck in a few lights and very quickly it will reach 140 + the highest has been 155 then i got moving again and it cooled down

Anonymous
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 09:29 AM
It sounds like you may have more than 1 problem:

Hopefully Bob954 can confirm this, but I suspect that 212 is a bit high for "normal" riding temp (on my R1 it's between 163 and 171). Just a thought.

BTW, the other numbers didn't make much sense unless you were talking about 140 - 155 degrees above 212 (or did you actually mean 240 - 255 actual?). If i didn't know better, I'd say you're running water instead of coolant in your radiator!

thunderseye
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 04:41 PM
well i've talked to other 954 riders so i know that 212 is normal. and the fan is supposed to kick in around 215 to 220 the honda dealer even said that then its supposed to cool down. the engine shuts down at 260 starts blinking at around 250. i just know when its running hot the fan isn't coming on....

thunderseye
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 04:44 PM
im off c 470 and quebec yeah the normal temp doesn't get under 200 once i'm riding hmmmm well it hasn't over heated yet as long as im moving so at least i'm still ridable for the time being it didn't start doing this till after the last time the honda shop off santa fe worked on it. i hate them guys

Anonymous
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 04:49 PM
im off c 470 and quebec yeah the normal temp doesn't get under 200 once i'm riding hmmmm well it hasn't over heated yet as long as im moving so at least i'm still ridable for the time being it didn't start doing this till after the last time the honda shop off santa fe worked on it. i hate them guys

What work was done?

I can help you Sunday if you like.

thunderseye
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 06:04 PM
cool. well 2 things they changed out my forks and upgraded the steering column

thunderseye
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 06:05 PM
anytime you are free sunday would be good. im just chilling at home with the kids

Bob954
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 11:03 PM
On a normal day (temp under 95), normal highway riding temp 180-190. Stop and go riding after highway, temp will be 205-220, with fan kicking in about 218. Have not seen above 225. If the outside temp is above 95, the temp range is in the low 190s for highway with the same slow riding range.

So I guess that if you are seeing temps above 250 and the fan does not kick in, the first place to look is the fan plug. However, I'm not sure why :guns: they would have removed the fan to replace forks or triple tree (I helped my son replace much of the front on his F4i and most of the layout is the same).

Anonymous
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 11:05 PM
K, I need to go look at MV's gixxer for sale, tell you what PM me your phone number and I will call you Sunday late morning once I know what I'm doing, if I don't figure it out sooner.

Should be a quick fix if it's something we can do without more parts. I'll bring the tools and meter and stuff over and we'll take a look. May need to pull the fairing just FYI.

thunderseye
Thu Jul 31st, 2003, 05:01 AM
hmmm well its gotta be something maybe a bad sensor? or still maybe the thermostat who knows i'm know that mechanically inclined

Mel
Thu Jul 31st, 2003, 11:52 AM
There can be a ton of things to make it run hot, but on most bikes they have to be REALLY hot to make things turn on. For example, my gixxer's thermostat does not even open to flow coolant until the bike hits 197. My fan should kick on around 220, and the one time it hit over 225, it blew a main fuse. You live out in my area don't you? If you don't get any other help, let me know. If you think it is getting overly hot, another thing to check is that your thermostat is even working...if it is stuck and not letting coolant through, things will get hot quick. On that new of a bike, I would not think that the fan would be toast, more like maybe a fuse or bad wire.

thunderseye
Thu Jul 31st, 2003, 04:24 PM
yeah i was gonna look at the thermostat but then i realized i had to take the tank off and start disconnecting lines and thats when i realized it was too indepth for me to mess with alone

Anonymous
Fri Aug 1st, 2003, 11:45 AM
How does Sunday @ lunchtime or so work? MV is tied up until 3-4pm so I was gonna head up there when he gets back... If your bike is something we can diagnose and fix we should know pretty quick.

Oh, do you have the service manual? doubt we'll need it, but it's always a handy thing to have around for any bike.

thunderseye
Fri Aug 1st, 2003, 01:34 PM
i have a service manual on cd-rom but it doesn't print very easily

thunderseye
Fri Aug 1st, 2003, 05:38 PM
very odd. today when i was riding home my fan was on, the bike was running about 180-190 the whole way home. but i was running about 80 never hit 200, so the fan is for some reason working, but but when stopped the bike will still keep on reaching higher and higher, 230 plus

Mel
Fri Aug 1st, 2003, 08:29 PM
You know, that is sounding more and more like thermostat issues to me...you can only cool so much from the outside...it needs coolant through the passages to keep it cool when stopped. You can either just replace it, or be prepared to remove it, and boil it...you will need a way of measuring water temp to boil and see if/when it opens.

mikesf4i
Fri Aug 1st, 2003, 10:09 PM
Well, I had two really great, long, well informed replies typed in but thanks to STUPID F#@%ING POP UP BUL&^%IT I got bumped off. So Im going to make this short. Your fan is either broken or not getting power. All of the info needed to be sure of this is in this thread. Your last post and Bobs info is the most helpful. Just have Ralph fix it or let me know if you need help and I will fix it. It has to be easier than dealing with this f#@^ing computer.

Anonymous
Fri Aug 1st, 2003, 11:10 PM
Just FYI, you will run hotter standing still because the airflow around the engine and radiator cool it down. On a warm day, my superhawk always runs the fan sitting still, once I get moving it typically cools down. It's definitely running cooler with the Silkolene in there on the track anyway...

We'll take a look, but it's possible everything is in fact ok. :?

thunderseye
Sat Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:27 AM
thanks ralph give me a call sunday. anyone know the cheapest place to get a new thermostat? i'll buy one today just in case thats what we need and if not i can always take it back

mikesf4i
Sun Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:56 PM
Well.... What was it? Fan unplugged? Blown fuse? What? What ? Dont leave us hanging.

thunderseye
Sun Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:49 PM
ralph came over its been running fairly decent lately a little warm but way better i think i just had an airbubble in the cooling system