PDA

View Full Version : Buell is Back!!!

Matty
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:04 AM
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/576/7935/Motorcycle-Article/Buell-Back-in-Business-with-1190RS.aspx?WT.i_e_dcsvid=1583790768

Sean
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Good for him.
Looks like it still has that big nose.

salsashark
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Well... he never actually left. The 1190 was the bike in development when HD closed the doors.

Erik still needs to wait for his non-compete clause to expire, he needs to either purchase or license his designs that are now owned by HD and he needs to find a manufacturer as well as a distribution chain to sell the bikes.

Logically, you would think that BRP or Polaris would be the front runners if anyone would.

I wish him the best, the 1125R was a kick in the pants to ride. I would love to see Buell for sale at Fay's or Grand Prix some day.

Here's some pics and vid of the 1190S w/ tail lights... Erik wouldn't waste time with this if he wasn't considering a come back. (http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/erik-buell-racing-1190rr-production-bike-rumor/#more-13125)

Devaclis
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:14 AM
It would be great to see Buell come back and be successful.

There have been numerous articles recently regarding the aging Harley generation. the fact that the old guys are not being replaced with new, young Harley riders is stressing the company pretty badly. This is why they got rid of Buell. Trimming the fat.

I think that Buell, if given a REAL chance and not just presented as a secondary deliverable by Harley, would be a hell of a runner here in the U.S. where brand loyalty seems to be in vogue. Getting a younger generation on an American sportbike would be the equivalent of the G.I.'s embracing the U.S. made Harleys after the war. It could be epic.

MetaLord 9
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM
^^Gee...I can't imagine why young riders would pass up a Harley, especially when it's price to sell at the low, low price of just $30k otd...

I say more power to Erik. Make 'em local, make 'em affordable, and make 'em competitive and American sportbike manufacturing will be back on the map again.

asp_125
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I would love to see Erik be sucessful .. that would be a nice :321: at HD dumping Buell

brennahm
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I just don't see it happening, especially not in this economy. There are definitely people out there who will buy them because they're different...but the sportbike community likes performance and technical prowess. Good luck to him...he is tenacious.

Wrider
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Dear God,
Please do not let Buell choose Polaris to manufacture and distribute his products.
Amen

salsashark
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 08:57 AM
^^ Any specific reason? They seem do have done fine w/ Victory...

R1-Laubinero
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 09:19 AM
yeah no latching on another cruiser chain..bad juju- the cruiser guys are a different subculture and his bikes will get the bastard child treatment again... best to offer franchises to people who want to sell buellls--- a tall order too-- the liter bike class is full of techno power houses--and the next round looks to have all of them offering traction control and abs--- somthing this buell lacks--of course if the price was really good he'd sell a bunch!-- I do believe the styling needs a bit more work--

BigE
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Polaris also does Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo and Can-Am, way more than just Victory. It would actually be a good fit for their products.

salsashark
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 11:13 AM
^^ Actually, you've got BRP and Polaris confused...

BRP (http://www.brp.com/en-US/):
-Sea-Doo
-Evinrude
-Can-Am
-Rotax
-Ski-Doo
-Lynx

Polaris (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Vehicles/Pages/Home.aspx)
-Full line of ATV's, snowmobiles, golf carts - All labeled Polaris
-Victory motorcycles

Personally, I could see BRP working something up since they already have a partnership w/ Rotax.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Dear God,
Please do not let Buell choose Polaris to manufacture and distribute his products.
Amen

^^ Any specific reason? They seem do have done fine w/ Victory...

my answer would be this:
http://www.motorcycle.com/news/polaris-to-shut-down-wisconsin-plant-89573.html

Polaris has announced plans to shut down its Osceola, Wis. manufacturing plant, while establishing a new facility in Mexico and creating “manufacturing centers of excellence” by enhancing existing facilities in Roseau, Minn. and Spirit Lake, Iowa. The Osceola plant employs more than 500 people. The town’s population numbers 2,421, according to the 2000 census.

salsashark
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 11:20 AM
^^Interesting read... sucks that more manufacturing jobs are being outsourced but this is nothing that HD or any of the big three automakers haven't been doing for years.

Polaris is moving its Wisconsin operations but Victory production will remain in Spirit Lake.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I guess that makes it all right then.

Never mind - sign me up

salsashark
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
never said it was right, just that it's nothing new...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Not my cup of tea, but I wish them the best.

dirkterrell
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM
^^Interesting read... sucks that more manufacturing jobs are being outsourced but this is nothing that HD or any of the big three automakers haven't been doing for years.

Yep, until we hold China and others to the same labor and environmental standards that domestic manufacturers have to meet, the inevitability of the destruction of domestic manufacturing is a foregone conclusion.

Dirk

green_zx7r
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I am not a huge Buell fan, but I still think this is one of the sexiest bikes eva...

asp_125
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
+1 not everybody and their aunt has one.

MirageR1
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Woohoo!

Wrider
Mon Sep 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Not only the moving out of the country thing, but have you ever worked on a PaulHarris?
Torx, Metric, Standard, and other kinds of fasteners all thrown onto one machine.

Haven't met a mechanic yet that likes working on them. Esp with all of the stupid crap that goes wrong with them. I know of a certain known problem on a certain quad that goes wrong with EVERY one of them, and yet Polaris decided that even the recall (that usually goes bad too) is cheaper than doing the new part, and continued with the part for three years.