PDA

View Full Version : Is your company looking for an IT guy?

Devaclis
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM
That was a MASSIVE surprise RIF at our company today.

Time to go ride :p

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Are you out?

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:14 AM
:shocked: ???????

Ricky
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Wow, laid off eh? That sucks... Sorry to hear it.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Are you out?

Out like plaid pants at a wedding.

Sean
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
:(

At least it's a good time to hit some trails!

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:17 AM
sorry to hear it - maybe with time it'll work out for the best.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM
It will be all good. No worries peeps :)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM

I wear plaid pants to weddings and funerals. Call me Al Czervik!

http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/al-czervik.jpg

inkahootz
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:21 AM
AUGH - sorry to hear dana. well i guess this just give you LOTS and LOTS of time to focus on a new business!

really sorry tho --

Sean
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:21 AM
It'll give you a little more time to post up on CSC. :up:

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM
did you unleash your fury on the server as you walked out the door?

http://extremethinkover.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/finger-on-the-button-getty-images.jpg

Snowman
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I'm sure the terabytes of kitta pron will be his ever lasting legacy at that company…

Sully
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Bastards! Sorry Dana :(

rforsythe
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Shit dude, really sorry to hear that. Not that you had any particular emotional attachment to that job anyway (just the income), but it's a crappy time to be RIF'd.

asp_125
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Well crap! Hope this will let you get your new venture off the ground.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Except for the financial burden, it is a freeing experience. I feel horrible for my boss. He is an awesome guy and a really good friend. He hated having to let me go. :(

Time to get my ass in gear with regards to my new business I guess.

Matty
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Sorry Dana....

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Except for the financial burden, it is a freeing experience. I feel horrible for my boss. He is an awesome guy and a really good friend. He hated having to let me go. :(

Consider it a blessing in disguise I guess. :dunno:

sprtbkbabe
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM
No matter how much you liked your boss, don't feel bad for him. He still has a job. A lot of managers, good and bad, are letting this shit happen because they want to keep THEIR jobs these days. FUBAR!!!

Cap'n Crunch
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Sorry to hear it, man. Hopefully you will look back on this in a couple of years and realize that this was the best thing that could've happend. Good luck on your next adventure.

Tylar
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I hear Segway is hiring if you're looking to get into high-level manglement...

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I hear Segway is hiring if you're looking to get into high-level manglement...

Too soon, too soon.

Sounds like there needs to be brewskis tonight.

~Barn~
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Wow.. already playing the Segway card. :lol:

Sorry to hear it Dana. I know you had mentioned something about getting into your own business. Not that this is the way you want to have your hand forced, but maybe it will be a blessing in disguise. :dunno:

Vehicle 1
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Sorry to hear man, good luck with whatever ends up coming next.

TurboGizzmo
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I know someone looking for TWO IT people, I would apply but dont want to drive to denver from Loveland everyday (Jobs in Denver) I can get you the information.

I am looking for another person in our IT Department. I need someone with general computer knowledge (Office, Windows, Networking, Printers, Etc.). The job has a bunch of room to grow as the company is exploding and there are several positions that we all share the load depending on knowledge. The more you know the better, just the main part of the job would be working with users and their issues.

Some of the duties include:

* Desktop/User support windows based systems, local and remote
* General networking Skills
* General Phone knowledge (VoIP based system)
* Monitoring of daily file transfers
* Working with clients IT departments
* Setup and deployment of computers.
* Trouble shooting skills.
* Able to lift 50lbs (Servers, desks, etc. we do it all)
* Attention to detail!!
================================================== ====

The company I work for is also hiring up in Fort Collins:

immediate opening for a Software Developer in our Fort Collins, CO office. Reporting directly to the CIO, responsibilities will include:

Full cycle development of interfaces with external systems (customers and partners)
Communication with internal and external functional and technical teams
Support, maintenance, and new development for existing systems utilizing Python, MySQL, Plone, Zope,and other Python Web Framework applications in a Linux environment
Required Skills:

Experience in software development and functional analysis
XML integration experience
Oral and written communication skills
Web development experience utilizing some combination of Python, Zope, Plone, Perl, C++, Cold Fusion, Java, PHP, or any open source development experience
Willingness to acquire and learn new skills as needed
Self-motivated and able to work in a fast paced environment
Degree in computer science, MIS or related field
Desired Skills:

In-depth knowledge of at least one Python Web Framework application
Exposure to Plone content management system
Python / MySQL / Linux

asp_125
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Sounds like there needs to be brewskis tonight.

Alibis?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hey Dana, sorry to hear it man. that sucks. Well, when I get back there sometime next month (haven't been able to pin the boss down yet), we should have a 1st annual CSC Unemployment ride! Open only to those of us douchbags without jobs. Who's in? :)

Devaclis
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I am all in.

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Alibis?

I'm down.

Canuck
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Sorry to read about this Dana. Shitty time economically to be laid-off. You'll be back on your feet soon enough :)

TFOGGuys
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM
In 1997, a friend and I opened TFOG, while I was still working for another company. In January 1998, the other company folded, leaving me with a few bucks in the bank, and little else. I started with nothing, and I still have most of it..... :lol:

Seriously, this may be the nudge you need to move you on to something wonderful. I've had a lot of ups and downs working for myself (my boss is a DICK), but I wouldn't trade the last 13 years for anything!

Raptor
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM
What a drag Dana. Sounds like you're hanging in there ok. Still, having the rug yanked out from under you sucks, no matter how prepared or stable you are.
Best of luck! :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
In 1997, a friend and I opened TFOG, while I was still working for another company. In January 1998, the other company folded, leaving me with a few bucks in the bank, and little else. I started with nothing, and I still have most of it..... :lol:

Seriously, this may be the nudge you need to move you on to something wonderful. I've had a lot of ups and downs working for myself (my boss is a DICK), but I wouldn't trade the last 13 years for anything!
....you forgot to mention that the hired help sucks too......:p

rforsythe
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM

What are you going to be doing?

MetaLord 9
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Maybe Ralph should hire Dana to manage the CSC...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
So, your boss outed you then? :)

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM
What are you going to be doing?

I heard he had a new product to try and market

http://www.hilaryshepherd.com/rantsnraves/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/nipple_bra.jpg

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I heard he had a new product to try and market

http://www.hilaryshepherd.com/rantsnraves/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/nipple_bra.jpg
Hah! That's awesome!

Keyser Soze
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Sorry to hear, Dana. Hopefully you find something quick

Horsman
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Dana will be awesome at whatever he wants to do (as long as it isn't being a lingerie model)...

TFOGGuys
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Dana will be awesome at whatever he wants to do (as long as it isn't being a lingerie model)...

Welp....there goes my apetite..... :puke:

Jon, you make me wanna punch my mental delete button with a ball peen hammer.....

puckstr
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Onward and upward my friend.
Let me know if you need anything

FZRguy
Tue Sep 28th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hey Dana, 1stBank is always looking for good IT peeps.

https://www.efirstbank.com/about-firstbank/career-opportunities/career-search.htm

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Hey Dana, 1stBank is always looking for good IT peeps.

https://www.efirstbank.com/about-firstbank/career-opportunities/career-search.htm
I think he should work for Compass Bank...at least then he'd make the news (eventualy) :D

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Sorry to hear it Dana. Good luck finding something you love to do...enjoy the time off while you can.

Snowman
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I've got a job for ya...

Network Administrator - Antarctic Research Vessels (Req ID #9511BR)

ITLE: Network Administrator (S6) – Marine Science

REPORTS TO: Off-ice: Manager, IT (OV)
On-ice: Marine Project Coordinator (MC)

SUMMARY STATEMENT: Responsible for installation, maintenance, upgrades, customization and administration of ship-board LANs and Data Acquisition Systems (DAS).

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides complementary support to Network Administrators at Denver Headquarters and on-board research vessels.
Reviews submitted proposals, Support Information Packages (SIPs), cruise planning and long term science planning with user feedback.
Provides end-user support aboard research vessels while at sea.
Troubleshoots network problems and effect LAN recovery following outages or service interruption.
Completes scheduled maintenance for the multi-server/multi-platform network.
Provides system administration for send-mail systems.
Provides network administration on UNIX/Linux, VMware, DOS/Windows, and Macintosh platforms.
Provides administration and support for all networking protocols.
Responsible for installation and maintenance of multi-platform Ethernet and FDDI networks on Cisco hardware.
Implements and supports LAN/WAN communications, e-mail services, system and network security.
Maintains Cisco network operating systems and hardware to the most current approved levels.
Applies patches and updates to networked application software.
Assists computer technicians and e-mail administrator as required.
Works in conjunction with technical writers to ensure all configurations and modifications are documented.
Responsible for data backup, to include monitoring end-user backups, automatic backup routines, and maintaining backup software.
Communicates both verbally and in writing in a professional and tactful manner.
Responsibilities may include travel to remote sites.
Employees and contractors may, in the course of performing their official duties, have access to a wide variety of personal identifiable and sensitive information (PII/SI) electronically and in hard copy. Personal and sensitive data including Social Security numbers, date and place of birth, demographic data, home addresses/telephone numbers/personal email addresses, passport numbers, bank account numbers, performance reviews, reviewer identity tied to performance reviews, unfunded proposals, proprietary parts of funded proposals, and other similar information should be protected according to Federal regulations and United States Antarctic Program policy, and only disclosed in accordance with the United States Antarctic program requirements.
Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring safety is the highest priority in the work place.
Performs other duties as required.

EDUCATION: BS/BA degree required. Computer Science degree preferred. Equivalent experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree.

CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR LICENSING REQUIREMENTS: None Required.

TRAINING: None Required.

EXPERIENCE: Minimum three years experience in the administration, operation, and maintenance of multi-platform LAN/WANs with Linux core services (printing, file shares and authentication) is required. Experience with communications and e-mail protocols (TCP/IP, SMTP, SMB) is required. Experience in virtualization (VMware) required. Experience with scripting languages, as well as Cisco hardware maintenance and routers is required. A background in computer support in a research environment, and/or experience with Solaris, Macintosh tools, and satellite ground stations is desired. Experience in high availability and clustering in a Linux environment desired. RHCE is desired. Marine experience strongly preferred.

PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Deployment may be required in this position at discretion of management. If required, the individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, and psychological examination for winter-over positions, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure. US citizenship or permanent residence is required.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Randall, I have wanted to do just that for YEARS!

Unfortunately my lifestyle does not work very well with those expeditionary jobs.

Sean
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Ice screws on the DRZ FTW!!!!!

FZ1Guy
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Sucks man... hope the best for you. The job search can take a while these days... hang in there... will be all good soon!!!

asp_125
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I've got a job for ya...

psychological examination ..

Well that rules out Dana right there. ;)

Ghost
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Sorry man, I recently got the "Your position has been eliminated" boot, so welcome to the joy of um..."endless possibilities"...also known as "Unemployment"...

Gainer
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
WTF!!!! This sucks to hear!!!! Just when I thought this crap was coming to an end and my friends were safe.

Look at the "bright side", at least you won't have to leave everything and move to the desert.

SupermotoMJ
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 09:07 AM
That sucks bro, Keep your head up.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I AM GOING RIDING!!!

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 10:55 AM
That sucks bro, Keep your head up.
^^Who the F is this guy??? :dunno:

:lol:

Devaclis
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Chris, when can drop off your ramp?

Thanks a TON for letting me borrow it this weekend :)

DevilsTonic
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear about this Dana! I'm more than confident you'll land on your feet. At least you'll have a few days user free. That's the best part of it all.

SupermotoMJ
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 11:29 AM
^^Who the F is this guy??? :dunno:

:lol:

I only come out in OCT :bat: