PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into dirt bikes, where to start?

Performance Imagery
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Hey guys, with the family and work, I've not had any time to ride the street bike. Looking at getting the family into dirt bikes as a family activity ( so i can at least ride something!). I know nothing about dirt bikes or the like, so I'm a real noob.

for starters I'd like to find a bike for myself and one bike for our 7 and 8 year old daughters. I'm not looking for the biggest or fastest and just need something that would allow us to start riding. I can always upgrade bikes later on if it is a hit.

So, what types of bikes should I be looking at? I have thought about trading in my R6 to fund/help fund the entry into dirt bikes.

Thanks,

Keith

Bueller
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 07:23 AM
You could buy my 2001 KTM 300 for < $2k and have one of he finest trail bikes made. It is titled and plated.

I don't have kids so I don't have anything for you on that front except get the an auto clutch type bike for them to learn on.

Matty
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 07:58 AM
For the kids at age 7 or 8. If tall enough, I'd recommend nothing smaller than. 70cc. Head over to Fay Myers and have them sit on a few different bikes.

Sean
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM
For you, I might look into a 250, 4 stroke. Just like street 600's, the brands are farily similar with quality and reliability. For starting out I'd stay away from 2 strokes. Also, decide if you want to plate it/ride it on the street at all, that'll make a big difference in your selection and possibly size.

For your daughter(s), check out the little 50-80 cc's with an auto clutch. Craigs List usually has a bunch of them since kids grow up so fast.

Good luck!

Bueller
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM
For starting out I'd stay away from 2 strokes.
Why? It is a light cheap minimal maintenance bike.

Sean
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Why? It is a light cheap minimal maintenance bike.Out of the few that I've ridden (and by no means am I an expert on this) I've found that the 4 strokes were a bit more forgiving with the throttle. 2 strokes are lighter, but they don't feel as smooth. It could be 100% rider related. Just my .02

modette99
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM

DorJammer
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I am selling me and my kids dirt bikes, I reccomend 4 strokes for the little ones. However I ride a KDX200 2 stroke and think it is one of the best trail bikes in existance

Aracheon
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I've got the perfect bike for you! :D

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36121

Performance Imagery
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

modette99 I'll check out that site and thanks for the offer to test out your bike, but I'm sure you are right that it would be to much for me. Alone time on a bike is non existent right now, so I don't see that changing if I get a dirt bike. food for thought though.

DorJammer any more info on the bikes you are selling?

Aracheon, interested in a 2000 R6 with 9600 miles on it for your GF??

Bueller
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Out of the few that I've ridden (and by no means am I an expert on this) I've found that the 4 strokes were a bit more forgiving with the throttle. 2 strokes are lighter, but they don't feel as smooth. It could be 100% rider related. Just my .02

Just have to get the right 2 stroke for actual trail riding. But a little 125 would be all the bike you would need to start with when you are "family" riding, usually that means going to IMI or Watkins and sputtering around with the sprouts.

bodhizafa
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
You could buy my 2001 KTM 300 for < $2k and have one of he finest trail bikes made. It is titled and plated.

I don't have kids so I don't have anything for you on that front except get the an auto clutch type bike for them to learn on.

Do you have to mix the gas and oil and stuff? How much of a pain is it? Looking to get into dirt bikes myself. LOVED a KTM 450 exc that I got to ride for a day a few months back.

Bueller
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 06:48 AM
A 450 would be 4 stroke, but if you go 2T it is very easy, just use a good synthetic oil and get a graduated measuring container, which will give you the marks for many of the common ratios, add the correct amount of oil for the ratio you want to a gas can and add the correct amount of fuel. If you put the gas in first you will need to shake it up to mix so I always put oil in first. I run 50:1 and I have very little spooge out the exhaust. I just pulled my pipe a few days ago and my piston looks like new after 2 years of me beating the piss out of it, and Bashed had it before me so it has had a tough life.

salsashark
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Just make sure, whatever you do, if you decide to by a bike from an unknown source take it to a qualified shop and have it checked out. Otherwise you may end up putting a $900 engine in a $1500 dollar bike after only riding it a couple of times... not that I would know anything about that.

bodhizafa
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 10:01 AM
So what do you do on a long ride (if bike is plated)? Just bring a lot of extra fuel mix? or find a gas station that sells some oil and mix it on site? (don't forget I'm a big newb with this 2-stroke stuff!)

Bueller
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Carry a small travel bottle of 2 stroke oil measured out for 1 or 2 gal. of gas. dump it in your tank at the gas station and then add your gas.
Don't mix 2 stroke oil brands, they can have undesired reactions to each other, not likely but possible.

SVCliff
Tue Feb 15th, 2011, 02:53 PM
My 7 year old is on a PW80 and loves it. My 5 year old is on a PW50 and loves it (but it's too small for my taller-than-average daughter). The PW50 and PW80 are about the same speed wise.

For you, if you're a bigger guy you may want a 450. If not, a 250cc should be fine. I'd go with a KTM 4stroke if you can or a Yamaha WR for a nice trail bike.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Feb 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
unless you're single parenting, I don't understand how a guy can't find time to make a Walmart or corner store run on two wheels for emergency home supplies?

+1 for Dual Sport.