PDA

View Full Version : New ZX-10 in Cycle World

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Wow, this is one ugly bitch. :puke: Definitely looks better in race form.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/09/2011-kawasaki-zx-10r-leaks-in-cycle-world/

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/09/2011-kawasaki-zx-10r-leaks-in-cycle-world/?gal=1#/1

US to get tuned down version. :lol:
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/10/north-american-2011-kawasaki-zx-10r-loses-20-hp-slower-than-s1000rr/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HellForLeather+%28Hell+For+Le ather%29

Bueller
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Looks like a Suzisaki CBR-1

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Interesting...

Kawi hasn't brought sexy to a bike in too long. And I say that fully loving the look of my '07 ZX-6R

Sarge
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I've been hearing that a lot lately on different forums. I tend to agree. I guess they're counting on the 200 hp figure to push the bike. TC and ABS should be interesting though, I guess BMW really hit the mark with the s1000rr.

On the other hand, if sexy is what you're looking for, look no further. She might not be the biggest or the fastest, but she sure is winning a lot of races.

sandboxshooter
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I don't agree....I like it.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp116/alan_wyatt/2011ZX10.jpg

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
^^That's the best picture I've seen of it actually and there it doesn't look too bad. I like that tail better than those of the current ninjas

Sarge
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I don't agree....I like it.

Just looking at the picture makes my back hurt. He's got the crouch, but where's the lean? His feet are almost parallel with the ground. That's more like bending over to touch your toes, his knees are touching his chest, has to be extremely uncomfortable.

To each his own, I guess.:vader:

sandboxshooter
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Believe me, if I didn't bleed green, that Aprilia would be on top of my list. Still may one day, but may give the 2011 a chance. I have an 06 ZX10 with VERY low miles, and may have to pull the trigger......

Sarge
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Believe me, if I didn't bleed green, that Aprilia would be on top of my list. Still may one day, but may give the 2011 a chance. I have an 06 ZX10 with VERY low miles, and may have to pull the trigger......

Even the slightly older ones are still pretty. :)

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19477&page=137

It's all about the V-Twins. ;) Or the V4s :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Actually, I kind of like it. we'll see what the engine specs are. BMW SO raised the game with the DI and the variable valve event geometry that all the other are going to have to play catch-up or be left behind.

Wrider
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM
God that thing is hideous... But then again I haven't liked the Kawis since they came out with the "butt face" look.
I do agree on the BMW and the Aprilias though... :drool:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM
God that thing is hideous... But then again I haven't liked the Kawis since they came out with the "butt face" look.
I do agree on the BMW and the Aprilias though... :drool:
See, it's all so subjective. I HATE that the BMW is so friggin' weird and asymetric. what, did Hanz style one side and Franz style the other? Uck! If they would fix that, it'd be a nice-looking bike. I think BMW should design the mechanicals, and had Pinninfarina (they've done every Ferrari and Maserati since forever) style it. THEN it'd be sexy like the aprilia. as far as sexy goes, the Bimota DB7 is still my fave. Man, the details on that bike.......:bow:

sandboxshooter
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Some good info here.... http://issuu.com/hellforleather/docs/ninja_zx-10r

Looking pretty awesome.....

R1-Laubinero
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
no denying its a performer--and with kawasaki gaining momentum at the end of this WSB season I bet this bike will really help put them back on top....
BPF- tc-abs- a really cool looking swing arm- but its shorter--hmmm..
eveyone was trying to go longer---
I think it looks really good! but looks are subjective and its hard to admire the bikes looks while you're riding it! I could care less what people think when i ride by---- so i go with the dash looks really good and the bike looks very slim too!
It Weighs less than the CBR1000rr now - this is the big news!

R1-Laubinero
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
i also would like to add for those hating on each others bike's looks- maybe you ought to quit while you're ahead- I mean...Would you want somone "bashing" your ride? It could get ugly....Now if you own the bike thats a different story... you'll be bashing yourself--which people rarley do.

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:15 AM
I'll stick with my bimmer :D

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Looks good, I even like the styling (for once in a long time). But, where's the direct injection and variable valve event geometry?

Jim_Vess
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
What the hell is Kawasaki's deal with the ugly-ass mufflers lately? First the new Z1000 and now the ZX10.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
What the hell is Kawasaki's deal with the ugly-ass mufflers lately? First the new Z1000 and now the ZX10.
Form follows function.......with a dose of ugly thrown in!

GreenGobblin
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:57 AM
as far as sexy goes, the Bimota DB7 is still my fave. Man, the details on that bike.......:bow:

:up::up:

sandboxshooter
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I like a LOT!

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp116/alan_wyatt/attachment1.jpg

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp116/alan_wyatt/attachment.jpg

Aphrodite
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I like- but dislike the exhaust.

sandboxshooter
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I don't know anyone nowadays that keeps the stock exhaust. Mine are stowed away in event of future sale. I think that Leo Vince on the Superbike looks awesome on it.

Aphrodite
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I still gotz my stock exhaust :-(

sandboxshooter
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 02:52 PM
:up::roll:

Think
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I think it's sick. It has a lot of potential.

gregr
Wed Oct 6th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I think this thing look HOT! And for the complainers, maybe just study the taillight...because that's likely all you'll see if you see one on the road or track. ;-)

Seriously, though, nice to see Kawi stepping up their game, first with the 09 ZX-6R, and now this new ZX-10R.

Mother Goose
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM
US is getting the de-tuned version. Doh!

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/10/north-american-2011-kawasaki-zx-10r-loses-20-hp-slower-than-s1000rr/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HellForLeather+%28Hell+For+Le ather%29

drago52
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
My understanding is that Kawasaki detunes all of their sportbikes for the American market because of noise regulations from the EPA. My ZX6R has a quick and easy wire jumper modification to increase the rev limit and hp output. I talked to the guys at fay meyers and they said there was some sort of race ECM that increases the power output from 197 to 240hp. Seems rediculously high and I haven't been able to find a source to back up the claim, but I'm sure there's some validity in it.

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Eh, easy jumper mod. It's part of owning a Kawi. The bikes are designed to pull through redline but Kawi tapers that for usually the last 2-3 grand before RL and closes the butterfly in the exhaust line for noise & emissions reasons. They've been doing this for at least six years. If you can't manage to do the jumper mod on your own, you probably shouldn't be working bikes.

Oh, and if you're buy'n 240 horsepower, then I've got a sweet bridge to sell ya :eyebrows:

**one last thing, the ecy shouldn't have anything to do with detuning the actual engine. The engine is the same and capable of the full speed & power output. Now if you were changing the valve timing or something like that, then you'd be detuning the engine

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 02:02 PM
My understanding is that Kawasaki detunes all of their sportbikes for the American market because of noise regulations from the EPA. My ZX6R has a quick and easy wire jumper modification to increase the rev limit and hp output. I talked to the guys at fay meyers and they said there was some sort of race ECM that increases the power output from 197 to 240hp. Seems rediculously high and I haven't been able to find a source to back up the claim, but I'm sure there's some validity in it.
43hp jump with just an ECM change? Ahhh, I think not. That'd take a TON of engine work, and even then you'd not get to 240 without NOS or something.

drago52
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
**one last thing, the ecy shouldn't have anything to do with detuning the actual engine. The engine is the same and capable of the full speed & power output. Now if you were changing the valve timing or something like that, then you'd be detuning the engine

did you read somewhere that they were detuning the actual engine?

Sarge
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM
did you read somewhere that they were detuning the actual engine?

See above. Goose posted it.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Eh, easy jumper mod. It's part of owning a Kawi. The bikes are designed to pull through redline but Kawi tapers that for usually the last 2-3 grand before RL and closes the butterfly in the exhaust line for noise & emissions reasons. They've been doing this for at least six years. If you can't manage to do the jumper mod on your own, you probably shouldn't be working bikes.

Oh, and if you're buy'n 240 horsepower, then I've got a sweet bridge to sell ya :eyebrows:

Huh? Cars have "detuned" the engine on the fly for years now with the ECU. Retarding spark timing, adjusting fuel maps for changing conditions and lack of premium fuel based on a variety of sensors including knock sensors. I'm sure bikes are doing the same thing.

sandboxshooter
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Yep. Engine and all is same as Euro version according to Kawi.....should be simple fix.

real5280
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
take a look at the sources for this article, we've been talking about this bike and supposed power defecit for months on the zx-10forum. nobody knows at this point what its gonna take to get the power back or how much is actually going to be lost from the euro version. even if the HP figures are down, theyre still higher than all of the other bikes out there(aside from one). HP aside lets wait and see how this thing turns. :D

drago52
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 02:52 PM
agreed with sandboxshooter. no detuning to the engine, just changes to ecm and exhaust for epa requirements.

The hell for leather article says: "While the engines remain mechanically identical to their full-power European and Asian siblings,..."

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 02:52 PM
take a look at the sources for this article, we've been talking about this bike and supposed power defecit for months on the zx-10forum. nobody knows at this point what its gonna take to get the power back or how much is actually going to be lost from the euro version. even if the HP figures are down, theyre still higher than all of the other bikes out there(aside from one). HP aside lets wait and see how this thing turns. :D
Also, are the units of measure the same, or is there a conversion factor needed? All "HP's" are not the same.

real5280
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Also, are the units of measure the same, or is there a conversion factor needed? All "HP's" are not the same.

everything i have come across to this point has been in HP not PS or whichever power rating system you're thinking of. Also i have yet to see any real numbers from a euro version, what i have seen is 159.8 posted by a dealer from canada but no chart so who knows? i am very excited about this bike although i am a little bias.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
everything i have come across to this point has been in HP not PS or whichever power rating system you're thinking of. Also i have yet to see any real numbers from a euro version, what i have seen is 159.8 posted by a dealer from canada but no chart so who knows? i am very excited about this bike although i am a little bias.
If I remember there is a US hp and a Euro HP, and they're not exactly the same (EU a little less if I remember right).

real5280
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
correct PS or metric horsepower is rated slightly lower than that of the HP we use in the States
745.7W =1 Mechanical HP(US)

735.5W =PS/Metric HP

i have not seen anything differentiate the two when speaking about the bikes.

Cap'n Crunch
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Video of the new bike next to the old version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj8QcBNEgGk

R1NORI
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM

You can get 240 HP with the Kawi race ecu

sprtbkbabe
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I finally got around to reading this article and have to agree that Kawi has been making some HELA-Ugly bastard greens lately.

Why does it look like Predator the movie (just as it split opens up its head before it eats you)? Their attempt to model it after the RSVR epically failed.

On a tech note, the levels of traction control are available after you choose which power mode you want are interesting. 9 possible combos? Fauk! That'll confuse a track rider, actually any rider. They may as well print out a cheat sheet just in case a rider finds himself/herself on a track or out in the boonies about to hit twisties, without the manual on which to choose from.

Aprilias are nearly as complex just for their simple functioning: The dash from the Mille/RSV to the RSVR requires said manuals just to convert kph to MPH and a degree in timing (Mille has 5 buttons and RSVR has 3, plus the lap/multifunction/flasher) "hold buttons A&D down" or "Trip&V buttons simultaneously for at least 15 seconds to toggle".

I've seen riders out at the track overwhelmed with their bike computers tripping up and not knowing which button sets the bike to do what and quitting a paid track day because their computers had completely gone awry. This will add a lot more confusion to us simple, non-mechanical types. Good going Kawi!

Add Kawisaki's new KIBS (ABS) ECU system and trying to get it to communicate with the fuel-injection ECU based on the hydraulic pressure in the front calipers/engine rpm, gear position, throttle position, and clutch actuation, could be disastrous. YIKES!

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM
ok, so after actually reading back through a lot of this thread, it turns out I should stop skipping through posts & replying to what I thought they said :lol:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 09:23 AM
You can get 240 HP with the Kawi race ecu
Seriously doubt that, not even measured at the crank. The WSB bikes are making maybe 220-ish. It'd take SERIOUS engine building (overbores etc.) to get even approaching 200. I've read some of KWS's engine builds, and they have to replace everything.

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM
it's already been done

R1-Laubinero
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
well yamaha neutered the 09 r1 compared to the euros and its more than just an ecu swap. Also some euro bikes have that theftdterent installed stock-- so then you have to get the whole damn wiring harness--
dont know why- they put power level switches on the bike--- so just have an off road setting-- ala slick mode

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
In the case of the new 10
Kawi had to de-tune the bike because of epa reg.
the zx-10 made too much intake sound (noise) at higher rpm,
so the bike had to be de-tuned.
And it still put out plenty of power to contend as a liter bike leader
Let's not forget about it's "best electronics" system available yet on a liter bike,
even better than bmw

dragos13
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I so want that bike for an ROR-GTO competitor next year....

:D

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 12:13 PM
there will be one on the grid next year-

dragos13
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM
there will be one on the grid next year-

<jealousy>

http://motoaus.com/images/stories/kawasakirace/2011-zx10r/kawasaki-2011-zx10r-superbike-l.jpg

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
insert 19

dragos13
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM
insert 19

Rob?

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Rob who ?
lol

Mother Goose
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Van Winkle

http://360.clicksuite.co.nz/image.axd?picture=633489516246618685_6334895162466 18685_Vanilla_NAVFULL.jpg

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 01:19 PM
How did you know?
ICE ICE BABY!

Mother Goose
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 01:48 PM
How did you know?
ICE ICE BABY!
I know people that know people.

Aphrodite
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I think I hurt my hand trying to do that gesture that he was doing :roll:

Mother Goose
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I think I hurt my hand trying to do that gesture that he was doing :roll:
New Facebook picture? ;)

Aphrodite
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
New Facebook picture? ;)

:tomato:

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I know people that know people.

You sure have the "in's" !
NICE!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
it's already been done
By who? I don't buy the claims. I know what KWS had to do to get 200RWHP, and it was FAR more than an ECU. Big-bore, new pistons, cams, stroker crank, etc. If they had to build it to WSB specs, I believe it even less. Sorry.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM
By who? I don't buy the claims. I know what KWS had to do to get 200RWHP, and it was FAR more than an ECU. Big-bore, new pistons, cams, stroker crank, etc. If they had to build it to WSB specs, I believe it even less. Sorry.

why do you keep referencing KWS? there are a couple 200hp gsxr1000's here locally....

Mother Goose
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
why do you keep referencing KWS? there are a couple 200hp gsxr1000's here locally....
I think they are talking about getting 240 out of a ZX-6R, not the 10R.

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Actually-- the 250r
silly-

UglyDogRacing
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I think they are talking about getting 240 out of a ZX-6R, not the 10R.

i know what nori is referencing. not sure why frank keeps going back to kws, though

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
kws-
kenworth semi's

UglyDogRacing
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Actually-- the 250r
silly-

we should have plenty of 200hp 250r's on the ninja cup grid next season. :D

R1NORI
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
well I wouldn't expect anything less!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM
i know what nori is referencing. not sure why frank keeps going back to kws, though
Because I'm familiar with them as they've been review by reputable magazines, and I trust the numbers they're claiming vs. "builders" I've never heard of or seen verified. Not that there aren't people out there who can, but I'm not familiar with them.

R1NORI
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM
So it is said

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:42 AM
So it is said
So it is written, so it shall be! On Earth as it is in Racing.....:D

Certain sources I believe, certain......not so much. I remember Mlading complaining about the speed of the KWS-prepped bikes. That alone is good enough for me...... ;)

R1NORI
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Race kit parts are ordered.
Stay tuned for hp #'s
Should have race kit parts by Dec!

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Now THAT ^^ is sex! :drool: :boobies: :hump:

dragos13
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 11:58 AM
HOLY!!!!

:bow:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Race kit parts are ordered.
Stay tuned for hp #'s
Should have race kit parts by Dec!
I gotta say I like it, especially in C/F black. Best of luck with it!