PDA

View Full Version : IMI Friday 10/1

Vellos
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I'm thinking about going after noon. Maybe with a friend from school. Anyone care to join?

BlueRanger
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Nice. I'll probably come earlier and stay the day.

FZRguy
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I'll be there Friday but riding the MX track.

BlueRanger
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'll be there Friday but riding the MX track.

You should bring the Fizzer to the paved track, we can start an FZR Class.

FZRguy
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Kinda tight for a sportbike. Planning on racing the sumo series next year.

Vellos
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Kinda tight for a sportbike.

I'm on a ZX6R. :)

Aracheon
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I'm on a ZX6R. :)

You'll be tired as shit when the day is up. I've thrown an '01 F4i, an '00 R6, an '06 VFR, an '05 600RR, and an '09 R1 around the kart track up there. It's very tight for a sportbike. Not impossible, and certainly a lot of fun, but once you start running under 1:10 or so it really starts to take it out of you.

Matty
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I'm a lil burnt on IMI but y'all have fun.

gregr
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 10:49 AM
You'll be tired as shit when the day is up. I've thrown an '01 F4i, an '00 R6, an '06 VFR, an '05 600RR, and an '09 R1 around the kart track up there. It's very tight for a sportbike. Not impossible, and certainly a lot of fun, but once you start running under 1:10 or so it really starts to take it out of you.

Is it pretty much 1st gear (or maybe 2nd) the whole way around? Looking at the satellite map it's pretty tiny...

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 10:52 AM
2nd gear is the gear of choice. I've done it on an F4i and with my R1, both in 2nd gear. Shifting is just wasting time, unless you're trying to back it in after the straight. ;)

gregr
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Geez, if I could have finally decided on some leathers, instead of staring at them on the web these last few weeks, I'd totally go...

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 11:03 AM
All they require is a helmet, jacket and gloves. My first time out there was in jeans and a mesh jacket. You can do it, but more protection is recommended.

Aracheon
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 11:08 AM
2nd gear is the gear of choice. I've done it on an F4i and with my R1, both in 2nd gear. Shifting is just wasting time, unless you're trying to back it in after the straight. ;)

+1

Vellos
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I've gone three times in jeans. My best lap is 1:15 and I'm not dragging knee or anything. First gear the whole time.

dragos13
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I've gone three times in jeans. My best lap is 1:15 and I'm not dragging knee or anything. First gear the whole time.

Definitely get out of first gear. I used to run second gear all track except for on the back straight. Get into third then back to second. Its about as fun as it gets.

Oh yeah, I broke the minute mark and got into 0:59's one day on my R6 :)

Sean
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I've gone three times in jeans.......I'm not dragging knee or anything. You may want to look into some leather or even textile pants. Falling in jeans is going to hurt...a lot. And a lot of people fall down at IMI while honing their skills. Trust me, I know. Pants are cheaper than skin graphs. :up:

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 12:31 PM
That's cause you're muy fasto! I'm in the 1:05-1:07 mark on the R1, but that was on tires I didn't trust. Wonder what it is now...

Aracheon
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Definitely get out of first gear. I used to run second gear all track except for on the back straight. Get into third then back to second. Its about as fun as it gets.

:shock:

mopoet178
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I might be out later. maybe 2pm if I get out of boulder efficiently.

BlueRanger
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I'll be coming from the Springs so if I make it, I'll be there the entire day. Get the most out of it.

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 01:40 PM
maybe I'll take ninja out again to see if I got the carbs right yet...if my foot is feeling up to it...

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I was in the 1:03-1:05 range on the gixxer last year, and ran 1:15's on the 250 the first time I ever rode it, with carb and ground clearance issues, on tires that are hard as rocks...

Vell...I have a size 44 suit that I am trying to sell that you could prob borrow...but you break it you buy it ;)

drago52
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
There's a chance I can get out of work and head out. I'm itching to see how my zx6r times compare to the my VFR lap times.

Vellos
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 04:53 PM
My bike likes to slip out of 2nd gear into neutral so I stick to first... it has happened a couple times around a corner in the canyons.

Come to the track and you can give me pointers. We basically have the same bike, mine is an '08.

I'll be able to afford a track suit next summer.

BlueRanger
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM
That would be cool to have some experienced riders out there to get tips from.

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 08:16 PM
My bike likes to slip out of 2nd gear into neutral so I stick to first... it has happened a couple times around a corner in the canyons.

Really??? have you had it looked at? that is probably something it shouldn't do.

And I'm with the others, first gear is not your friend on the track...for some reason I remember others trying to help you at the track a few weeks ago, and you didn't take constructive criticism too well..I'm not hating, but its normally best to try to keep an open mind with this sort of thing

and If I show up, you can borrow my spare leathers, even if you just wear the pants...if you go down in jeans you will not be a happy camper

chupale #169 Matt Henning
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM
hmm, I have court for a speeding ticket but I'll try to come out afterwards. I'll check with my riding buddy too. Do I bring the the r6 race or the r1 street bike? that is the question.

Vellos
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 10:53 PM
for some reason I remember others trying to help you at the track a few weeks ago, and you didn't take constructive criticism too well..I'm not hating, but its normally best to try to keep an open mind with this sort of thing

Wouldn't know what you're referring to. My first day at the track was a while ago: it was with you, Duelist13 (black zx6r), Bueller, red Ducati guy, and the two tiny motorcycles you were hanging out with.

You told me to pace the track and not use brakes, which I did and it helped a lot. Also told me to keep my feet inwards and I tried doing that as well. Nobody else really gave me any advice, they thought I was doing swell for the first day. After I lapped Duelist13 a couple times I worked with him on his lines since he was being inconsistent and almost ran into Bueller. :)

drago52
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 10:59 PM
What time is everyone heading out? I'll bring my gopro for some vids too.

FZRguy
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I should be there around noon. I'll be the one with knobby tires.

Bueller
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM

My R6 race bike used to do that, it was a $1.50 spring, took 20min. to replace. check it out:p

Vellos
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM
My R6 race bike used to do that, it was a $1.50 spring, took 20min. to replace. check it out:p

It also stalled out unexpectedly when I started my bike to warm it up. I was standing next to it as it was parked, put it in neutral, turned it on. Was fiddling with my helmet and all of a sudden it just lurched forward and damn near fell off the kickstand. My bike has the kickstand safety so it won't start up if it's in gear, but somehow it managed to slip out of neutral while I wasn't touching it. Maybe a related issue, but I hate my tranny none-the-less.

Thanks Bueller! :up:

Anywho, I'm going to be leaving Boulder at noon and will be track ready around one. Very low chance the guy from class is going to come, so I might be able to get there a bit earlier. Cya guys at the track!

drago52
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 10:02 AM
I should be arriving between 1-2pm. I can usually last 2-3 hours before I'm cooked.

drago52
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 10:34 AM
bah, just when I plan something cool to take a little time off from work, work raises it's ugly head. Unfortunately, I can't get the time off to make it today. booooooooo

DRKATO1
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Vellos it was a pleasure meeting you and your friends today. Need to plan on doing big track days next year, you're ready for it

BlueRanger
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 08:16 PM
Finally made it home, traffic was bad.. as usual I guess. Had fun, thanks for the tips guys. Oh yeah, in my last session (I think all csc already left) I lost traction in my rear tire comming out of a turn, nearly went down. Good to know I won't have to repair plastic for the next 2 weeks again.

Vellos
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 11:38 PM
Was lots of fun. At the end I was doing lap times less than 1:15 consistently, and my best was 1:11:76!

Here is a video from my first session. I took it with my ipod nano :bananna: so I could edit some video and see the quality. Next time I'll strap it on sideways!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt9TKSIknWw

Zach929rr
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
, and the two tiny motorcycles you were hanging out with.

LOL

BlueRanger
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I just realized the background music in the vid is from Hometown Glory ay? lol. I was sitting here at 3am working, and out of nowhere i just thought, ay that IMI vid has the background music from that Adele song. :up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL49yZNE4yk